Thread: Tyson to fight at the Meadowlands

Hall Of Fame
    Only license stands in Tyson's way

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Associated Press

NEWARK, N.J. -- Mike Tyson has agreed to a fight this summer at the Meadowlands, provided he can secure a boxing license from the State Athletic Control Board.

The deal with the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority calls for the former heavyweight champion to appear on the undercard of a June 21 card at Continental Airlines Arena. The main event would feature current heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis.

Gary Shaw, a former athletic board member who represents Tyson and Lewis, told The Star-Ledger of Newark on Thursday that if Tyson can't get a license, neither fight will take place in New Jersey.

"This would be so big for New Jersey, especially now with the economy the way it is,'' Shaw said. "I also think it's about time the Meadowlands got one up on Madison Square Garden.''

Tyson last fought in New Jersey in 1990, and hasn't sought a state license since 1998. At that time, he cursed at state officials when they questioned whether he was mentally fit to fight, and later withdrew his application.

"We understand the issues surrounding this, but that's a decision that is not up to us,'' said George Zoffinger, the sports authority's chief executive. "We are simply trying to help the situation with our revenues here.''

Veteran
    Anyone have a guestimate on t[he price of these tickets???

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Mean Bro Green[/i]@Apr 11 2003, 03:12 PM
    [b] Only license stands in Tyson's way

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Associated Press

NEWARK, N.J. -- Mike Tyson has agreed to a fight this summer at the Meadowlands, provided he can secure a boxing license from the State Athletic Control Board.

The deal with the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority calls for the former heavyweight champion to appear on the undercard of a June 21 card at Continental Airlines Arena. The main event would feature current heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis.

Gary Shaw, a former athletic board member who represents Tyson and Lewis, told The Star-Ledger of Newark on Thursday that if Tyson can't get a license, neither fight will take place in New Jersey.

"This would be so big for New Jersey, especially now with the economy the way it is,'' Shaw said. "I also think it's about time the Meadowlands got one up on Madison Square Garden.''

Tyson last fought in New Jersey in 1990, and hasn't sought a state license since 1998. At that time, he cursed at state officials when they questioned whether he was mentally fit to fight, and later withdrew his application.

"We understand the issues surrounding this, but that's a decision that is not up to us,'' said George Zoffinger, the sports authority's chief executive. "We are simply trying to help the situation with our revenues here.'' [/b][/quote]
    Don't count on it... he has gone before the board for the license in the past and been denied.

Hall Of Fame
    they could use the money though, mike still sells especially on a lewis undercard

Hall Of Fame
    The march to Bolivian marches on!

this guys is gunna be having dark matches at lincoln high school before Jake the Snake Roberts in the Main Event prett soon.

[img]http://www.allfunpix.com/humor/pics/ears.jpg[/img]

It's getting beyond a joke really. Why do people still pay money to see the old has-been? The freakshow element?

i wouldnt pay to watch tyson anymore,when i watch him on showtime or hbo i find myself saying"thank god this isnt pay per view"