Thread: The Best available free agents

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

At the start of free agency, Terry Bradway mentioned that The Jets would not be active in the pursuit of high priced free agents. He stated that there would be some real bargains at the end of the free agency period. Well, we are approaching that "end".

Here are some of the players that are still available that could be had for bargain prices. The Jets signed one in backup FS/SS/CB/KR, Tyrone Carter.

TE- Wesley Walls- A guy, I would go after if he has a clean bill of health.

OT-James "Big Cat" Williams- He's a quality veteran tackle that could be a short term answer as the third tackle on The Jets.

RB- Olandis Gary- The best RB out there right now. He's got size, speed and hands and the reason, why he is not in Denver is because of a numbers game. I only to look to sign him if The Jets deal Jordan. He's a young back who is familiar with the west coast offense and has showed in the past that he can get the job done as a feature back. A real bargain for whomever signs him.

OL-Solomon Page- I can't believe that noone has gone after this guy. He's 6'5 325 pounds, can play guard and tackle, He's been a solid player in The NFL. He's only 27 and he'd come real cheap and he has starting experience. Seems like a guy, The Jets could go after.

OL- Floyd Wedderburn- Same status as Page, perhaps a notch below. Floyd is only 26, has starting experience, is 6'5 330 and has played in a west coast offense.I think, he's worth a look as a backup.

G- Mo Collins- I am not a fan of this guy and really don't want to see him come in, but he's a quality starting guard and a real good run blocker. He's gotta land somewhere.

S-Kwame Lassiter- Good veteran safety who has good cover skills. Not a fit with The Jets because he's a free safety looking to start.

S-Sammy Knight- Looking for starting spot that Jets won't give.

S-Lee Flowers- same as Knight.

S-Victor Green- Quality veteran safety who can cover and tackle. He's a bargain to whomever picks him up.

WR- Germane Crowell- Everyone is staying away from him because of his history with injury. The label is that he is damaged goods. That's unfortunate because at one time, He looked like the next big star at WR.

P-Craig Hentrich- At one point, This guy was one of the best young punters in the league. Actually a former Jet draft pick. His production level has slipped the last two years. If The Jets ever have problems with Stryzinski, He could be someone to go get.

There are two kickers that figure to be released probably around camp time.
    K-Brett Conway from the Colts and K- Matt Bryant from The Giants.

On June 1st, several veterans are rumored to be released.

QB- Brian Griese- He'll sign with Fish or be in Dallas with Tuna. Either way, he's fishy.

LB-Junior Seau- He gets released if he isn't traded. Will most likely get dealt and then he'll restructure his deal with new team.

DE-Tony Brackens- Jags may change their mind and keep him. I wouldn't let him go either.

FB- William Henderson- Good fit for The Jets. A quality veteran fullback who is a very good west coast player.

WR- Sylvester Morris- Big, young, fast WR, who is being given up on too early.

WR- Snoop Minnis- KC has too many WR's on roster earning big money. Minnis joins Morris on the market.

WR- Marcus Robinson- Bears could decide to hold on to him but he's owed a few million next season and his situation as a player is very similar to Germane Crowell.

WR- J.J. Stokes- Biggest underachiever. Never developed into solid NFL Wideout. He's an extra guy at this point of his career.

That's just a quick look at what's out there and what could be out there after June 1st.

We should take a long, hard look at Crowell.

I remember when he was being touted as the a future pro-bowler

Why not give him a shot

wesley walls is a good solid TE
    olandis gary is going to be an asset where ever he goes and if were not going to keep jordan,than sign gary,he would look good in green

id give sammy knight a staring job here.he's a good saftey,with good hands.

Great post YJF.I look at that list and and there are some very tempting
    prospects.However I say we should go easy on the FA signings and try to get better through the draft.I know that isnt to exciting but I like the core of our team and with the
    9 draft picks and a little tweeking here and there I like where the
    Jets are heading.I also like the way TB is building the team.

Veteran
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JOJOTOWNSELL[/i]@Apr 11 2003, 05:18 PM
    [b] We should take a long, hard look at Crowell.

I remember when he was being touted as the a future pro-bowler

Why not give him a shot

[/b][/quote]
    I have mentioned this a few times on the sight, but never get a reply about his condition. He's big, talented with an injury question mark.

I like the comments.

RB- Olandis Gary: Interesting pick to replace Curtis. Same kind of back in a differnt type of way...

Mo Collin: I have always thought he would be a perfect compliment to our line. Big run blocker and aggressive.

William Henderson- Nail on the head.

JJ Stokes: is a real question mark, he really has all of the tools.

Who is this Vick Green guy???

I must be the only fan in the northeast of Henry Ford, I dont understand the Jets or the Pats not signing this guy up he is an above average 300 lb DT that is not old. Nobody mentions him, I just dont understand it. Maybe he has an attitude or something what is your take Young jet since youdid not list him?

Yeah I don't understand the whole lack of attention that Henry Ford has received. He is young and a quality DT. Something every team could use.

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by YoungJetsFan[/i]@Apr 11 2003, 03:15 PM
    [b] P-Craig Hentrich- At one point, This guy was one of the best young punters in the league. Actually a former Jet draft pick. His production level has slipped the last two years. If The Jets ever have problems with Stryzinski, He could be someone to go get.
    [/b][/quote]
    Wasn't Hentrich franchised?

I agree about Gary and Crowell. Crowell might be a good option to keep around in case Conway doesn't pan out. Also would be a gret #4 WR. Gary would give us options to deal Jordan whom I think will bolt if given the opportunity. At least now we could get quality for him. Solomon Page would come cheap. You gotta love a 27 yr old 6-5 330 lb guy with no strings attached. But I say wait to se what we can do in the draft with the exception of Gary. If we are planning on using Jordan as trade bait, then we have to land Gary now.

My 2 cents.

Hall Of Fame
    Hentrich would be worth a look if he's available. I don't know why the Jets didn't look hard at Mike Hollis. In The Giants' kicking game cost them a playoff game. As good as Westhoff is, he can't make chicken salad out of chicken .... If specials is going to be a strength, Brien and Stryzinksi aren't turning into Jan Stenerud and Ray Guy. Thisreally is cause for concern. With 9 picks, any chance of filling one ro both kicker spots?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by patman[/i]@Apr 11 2003, 08:16 PM
    [b] I must be the only fan in the northeast of Henry Ford, I dont understand the Jets or the Pats not signing this guy up he is an above average 300 lb DT that is not old. Nobody mentions him, I just dont understand it. Maybe he has an attitude or something what is your take Young jet since youdid not list him? [/b][/quote]

Henry Ford is a decent player. I could have mentioned him. Some team will bring him in. He can play DT and DE. He will be 32 years old when the season starts., on alot of teams, he would be no more than a backup. For the right price, he could be a decent addition for a few teams, because he is a quality veteran. He's sort of like in The Anthony Pleasant/Steve White type mode. I don't think, he fits in with the Jets because the Jets have good young talent on the defensive line. We are looking to get even younger at DT. Ford is a guy too, who tends to put on too much weight. He's a bit of a slacker.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by aec4+Apr 11 2003, 08:26 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (aec4 @ Apr 11 2003, 08:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--YoungJetsFan[/i]@Apr 11 2003, 03:15 PM
    [b] P-Craig Hentrich- At one point, This guy was one of the best young punters in the league. Actually a former Jet draft pick. His production level has slipped the last two years. If The Jets ever have problems with Stryzinski, He could be someone to go get.
    [/b][/quote]
    Wasn&#39;t Hentrich franchised? [/b][/quote]
    Any tag that was on Hentrich has been taken off.

Pretty slick move by The Titans. They wait for every other team to make their moves at punter and then they free up the tag.

Veteran
    i like Page and Crowell a lot....we could use the depth

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by YoungJetsFan+Apr 11 2003, 05:32 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (YoungJetsFan @ Apr 11 2003, 05:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -aec4@Apr 11 2003, 08:26 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--YoungJetsFan[/i]@Apr 11 2003, 03:15 PM
    [/b][/quote]

Pretty slick move by The Titans. They wait for every other team to make their moves at punter and then they free up the tag. [/b][/quote]
    I did some research.. it was hte kicker from Carolina, not Hentrich..... I believe the tag was removed on him too. Sauerbraun?

[quote][i]Originally posted by Bugg[/i]@Apr 11 2003, 04:44 PM
    [b] Hentrich would be worth a look if he&#39;s available. I don&#39;t know why the Jets didn&#39;t look hard at Mike Hollis. In The Giants&#39; kicking game cost them a playoff game. As good as Westhoff is, he can&#39;t make chicken salad out of chicken .... If specials is going to be a strength, Brien and Stryzinksi aren&#39;t turning into Jan Stenerud and Ray Guy. Thisreally is cause for concern. With 9 picks, any chance of filling one ro both kicker spots? [/b][/quote]
    I like chicken salad lol. On a serious note, I really wanted Hollis as well. Someone in the old forum morgaged the house that Hollis would be a Jet and I agreed. Now if only I knew who he was so he could sign the deed over to me :P

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by aec4+Apr 11 2003, 09:37 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (aec4 @ Apr 11 2003, 09:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -YoungJetsFan@Apr 11 2003, 05:32 PM
    [b] [quote]Originally posted by -aec4@Apr 11 2003, 08:26 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--YoungJetsFan[/i]@Apr 11 2003, 03:15 PM
    [/b][/quote]

Pretty slick move by The Titans. They wait for every other team to make their moves at punter and then they free up the tag. [/b][/quote]
    I did some research.. it was hte kicker from Carolina, not Hentrich..... I believe the tag was removed on him too. Sauerbraun? [/b][/quote]

I believe Sauerburn may still be tagged. I&#39;m not sure though.