Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JETS TO DRAFT STAR PLAYER!!!

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I'm 30 years old and I've been watching the JETS my entire life. I can completely seperate life from sports but I'm as diehard as a diehard can be. This team has had its share of ups and downs but now its crucial that we produce positive results. There's so much talk about the draft and who we should take on defense or offense or if we should draft defense first or offense first; but I think it really doesn't make a difference. Even after all the losses this off-season this team still has a lot of talent. What the Jets need to do is come out of this draft with guys that can make a difference. Most likely, whoever the Jets draft in the first round won't come right in and start because the starting positions are taken. Terry Bradway has already stated that today's roster is not the roster we're going into the season with. So, guys will be signed after June 1. Having said this, if the Jets go offense in the first round and then they should go defense in the other rounds and defense after June 1 cuts. If the Jets draft defense in the first round then vice versa. If the Jets trade both of their first round pics to get Andre Johnson and draft defense in the second, third, or fourth we can still have an unreal draft. Plus we'll still have two 5th round picks..... All I'm saying is if they do make a deal for Andre Johnson, for the sake of the organization and all the negatives, we need him to be a star player. Of course the draft is a crap shoot but to get into the top five is a real luxury. Especially when we're already a good team and were one game away from the Championship game last year. Its not too often that a team that just went so far has an opportunity to draft in the top five. Chad Pennington is the most important guy on this team and to supply him with a receiver as highly touted as Johnson is well worth the risk. We'll still have 7 other pics after that. Johnson takes the strength of our team and makes it stronger. There are reasons this guy is going in the top 5 and if he pans out we'll have an incredible offense of the future, even with all the losses. I'd rather give up the pics to get Andre Johnson than have to part with Lamont Jordan. Then the big 3 of the future is Chad, Andre, and Lamont. On the defensive side we have a lot of veteran leaders and a big time star, John Abraham. We should take the majority of our other pics and build around him. If the Jets don't make the trade to move up I have no problem going defense as long as one of those players turn out to be the star I think Andre Johnson will be. This guy is a linebacker that runs a 4.3 and plays receiver. Whatever the Jets do in the draft, I just hope it turns out to be a positive because its been nothing but negatives for a team that was pretty darn close last year.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

If the Jets give 2 picks to get Andre Johnson. I will seriously scratch my head and question what is going on.

This draft is deep at the WR spot, especially with the big body type of the WR the Jets should be coveting.

The drop in talent at the WR spot from the 1st to 3rd or 4th round is far less precipitous than the one that occurs at both DT and LB.

If Bradway goes with 2 picks for Andre Johnson-I will scream. That would be the SINGLE dumbest thing he has done this off season.

Just my opinion

All Pro
    Well said. VERY well said. You speak for Allot of Fans.

All Pro
    except for the trading TWO # 1 PICKS!!!!!!!!!!! YIKES!!!!!!!!!!

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

YOUR CRAZY SCOTT!! i just want a star... and there is no way we should pass up an oppurtunity to draft in the top 5.... there is also a big drop off from the top 5 till the 13th which is where we pick..... YEAH BRADWAY GETTING MAYBE THE BEST OFFENSIVE WEAPON IN THE DRAFT WILLBE REAL STUPID.... COME ON.. IM NOT SAYING THEY SHOULD DO THIS BUT ITS NOT AS CRAZY AS U MAKE IT...

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

what if he is the next michael irvin...than is it stupid... fact is he could be u just never no.......many people think this could happen so its not as far fetched as u make it....

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by LockeJET[/i]@Apr 11 2003, 03:44 PM
    [b] YOUR CRAZY SCOTT!! i just want a star... and there is no way we should pass up an oppurtunity to draft in the top 5.... there is also a big drop off from the top 5 till the 13th which is where we pick..... YEAH BRADWAY GETTING MAYBE THE BEST OFFENSIVE WEAPON IN THE DRAFT WILLBE REAL STUPID.... COME ON.. IM NOT SAYING THEY SHOULD DO THIS BUT ITS NOT AS CRAZY AS U MAKE IT... [/b][/quote]
    Blair Thomas was a "star" also, need I remind you.

To trade 2 #1's for the right to draft a WR in the draft is just plain stupid. There is not a WR in the last 10 years in a draft that I would have traded q 13 and a 22 for.

WR is the most plentiful position in the draft. If you scout well, you can get very good ones in the mid rounds.

It is players that are inside the hashes that are "star" players that make a difference in the game.

Look at the Bills they had Moulds, Price etc at receiver-star players-and what did it get them.

Bradway is not dumb enough to trade a 13 and 22 for4 a WR. Just won't happen.

And certainly not for a WR that runs "soft" routes. Thsi is not WVU and Rutgers that he will be playing against in the NFL

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by LockeJET[/i]@Apr 11 2003, 03:48 PM
    [b] what if he is the next michael irvin...than is it stupid... fact is he could be u just never no.......many people think this could happen so its not as far fetched as u make it.... [/b][/quote]
    What if he is the next Irving Fryar?

All League
    Just like he can be the "next Michael Irvin," he could also be the next John "lamb" Jones, Blair Thomas, Eddie Kennison, That guy in the same draft as Rice and Toon but ended up sucking, Todd Malinovich, Dan Wilkonson, Ki-Jana Carter. . . I'm getting tired, but you get my point: THERE ARE NO GUARUNTEED STARS!

locke what if the next micheal irving is a tyrone calico and doug gabriel or justin gage and we pass up on the next warren sapp.
    what if andre johnson turn out to be peter warrick?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

whats to say washington will be good and we could end up with him...... andre johnson is one of the premier players in this draft scott and @ 13 were not getting somone on that level.... u cant always say what if he is another blair thomas.... than ill say what if he is another michael irvin....

Practice Squad
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Scott Dierking[/i]@Apr 11 2003, 03:41 PM
    [b]If the Jets give 2 picks to get Andre Johnson. I will seriously scratch my head and question what is going on.

If Bradway goes with 2 picks for Andre Johnson-I will scream. That would be the SINGLE dumbest thing he has done this off season.

Just my opinion[/b][/quote]
    I'm one who doesn't think Bradway has done a terrible job this offseason. That said I would highly oppose this deal and I would also scream and start wondering about Bradway if he pulled that off.

we think alike.thats funny

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by LockeJET[/i]@Apr 11 2003, 03:54 PM
    [b]whats to say washington will be good and we could end up with him...... andre johnson is one of the premier players in this draft scott and @ 13 were not getting somone on that level.... u cant always say what if he is another blair thomas.... than ill say what if he is another michael irvin....[/b][/quote]
    I would rank Charlie Rogers AHEAD of Johnson-So that tells you what I think of Johnson-And I wouldn't do it for Rogers.

Your information that there is a drop off at 5 is different than what I have heard. I have heard that the top 13 (coincidntally) all are good candidtaes.

Since you want to go with the premise that any player can hit or miss-I would rather have 2 opps to hit in the 1st than 1. Increases the odds of getting ypour "star' player.

WR's od not win games in this league. The playesr inside the hashes do

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

IF THE JETS CAN GET INTO THE TOP 5 I JUST WANT HIM TO BE A STAR IT DOEST HAVE TO BE JOHNSON.... ID TRADE THERE AND TAKE TACKLE ALSO I JUST WANT POSITIVE RESULTS BUT WE COULD REGRET NOT DOING THIS.... ITS NOT OFTEN THE TEAM THAT JUST ALMOST MADE IT TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME GETS IN THE TOP 5....

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by LockeJET[/i]@Apr 11 2003, 03:58 PM
    [b] IF THE JETS CAN GET INTO THE TOP 5 I JUST WANT HIM TO BE A STAR IT DOEST HAVE TO BE JOHNSON.... ID TRADE THERE AND TAKE TACKLE ALSO I JUST WANT POSITIVE RESULTS BUT WE COULD REGRET NOT DOING THIS.... ITS NOT OFTEN THE TEAM THAT JUST ALMOST MADE IT TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME GETS IN THE TOP 5.... [/b][/quote]
    There is nothing "magical" about the top 5 in this draft, nor does it guarantee "star players"

The only position I would package 2 first rounders for would be franchise QB's, RB'S or DE's. Otherwise I sit with my picks and do due diligence in getting the best player available. WR is not a franchise position.

Ask Walton-He traded 2 first rounders for the opportunity to get Lam Jones

highly touted highly drafted WR are some of the bustiest players there are -

Michael Westbrook (4)
    David Terrell (8)
    Troy Edwards (11)
    Yatil Green (15)
    Ridell Anthony (16)
    R Jay Soward (29)
    Marcus Nash (30)

Nowhere does a player bust out as hard or as frequently than first round WR - Andre Johnson is a good player but for me the team already has University of Miami's all time leading reciever - how many Miami recievers should one team take? Its funny you mention Irvin cause he's the only great pro WR that program has produced to date - Andre Johnson could end up being the next Reggie Wayne -

meanwhile guys like Bryant johnson, Tyrone Clalico, Justin Gage, Walter Young (and many others) will be there later on and might be just as good or better than Andre Johnson. The same draft that had Peter Warrick at 4 produced Joey Porter in 2, Dez White, Darrell Jackson and Lavernaous Coles in round 3.

If Johnson becomes the next Michael Irvin we better not sign Darrell Russell or he'll get coked up and suspended before the first game.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

LETS THINK POSITIVE FOR 1 SEC.... IF HE HAS A CAREER LIKE JERRY RICE THAN WOULD THIS BE STUPID..FACT IS NOBODY KNOWS....

Moss, Harrison,Owens, are three players out ther that if you were guarenteed that they would be this productive as rookies would be worth two 1st rd picks, any hal of fame type player is worth tow 1st rd picks.