Post Thanks / Like
    [b]ALL PRO SCOUTING ~ Final Rankings

INSIDE LINEBACKERS[/b]
    1. Victor Hobson
    2. EJ Henderson
    3. Terry Pierce
    4. Gerald Hayes
    5. Kawika Mitchell

Hey, the Jets got the TOP GUY on Matt Gambill's board ... after Henderson, Pierce and Mitchell were selected.

And it should be noted, Gambill is so respected that his site will likely not be there next year cause he has been contacted by a few NFL Teams to interview for a scouting position.

Maybe I was being a bit hasty here? ;)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [b]ON THE CLOCK SCOUTING

VICTOR HOBSON[/b]

6'0" - 248 lbs
    4.61 Estimated 40
    99 Tackles - 6 Sacks - 2 INT

Senior linebacker who led the wolverines in tackles for the second consecutive season. He is a great leader and served as a team captain as a senior. He is a very smart and instinctive player who rarely makes mistakes. His bulk is excellent for an outside linebacker and he can play inside as well. He is very strong and has [b]GOOD SPEED.[/b] He is a good blitzer and can chase down plays from behind in the backfield. He has decent speed but needs to work on his pass coverage ability to avoid match up problems at the professional level. His draft stock began to fall when he ran at 4.8 40 at the combine, however, [b]he rebounded with a 4.61 40 performance at the Michigan Pro Day.[/b] He should be a solid first day pick in April.

======================================================

4.61 at his Pro Day Workouts!!

Now I know why this player was on the rise down the stretch ... and now I really like this pick!!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Ham,

Just got in. I'm shocked with all the other talent on the board?

Hobson rather than Calico, or Washington?? Now tthe WR's will be coming off the board!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    there was starting to be a run on LB's, so we had to jump on one before they were all gone. I guess SSLB was more of a need than anything else.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JonEJet[/i]@Apr 26 2003, 07:21 PM
    [b] Ham,

Just got in. I'm shocked with all the other talent on the board?

Hobson rather than Calico, or Washington?? Now tthe WR's will be coming off the board!! [/b][/quote]
    Jon, I wanted the WR as well ... but WR is the much deeper position in this draft and we desperately need to upgrade at LB

I am not at all shocked that we took an LB ... and I won't be shocked if we take another one!! :o

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a wait and see pick, Terry has gotten us Lamont Jordan and Jon McGraw in the second, we have to give him the benefit of the doubt here.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [SIZE=3][color=green]This will turn out to be a very solid pick.[/color][/SIZE]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by pope[/i]@Apr 26 2003, 07:30 PM
    [b] This is a wait and see pick, Terry has gotten us Lamont Jordan and Jon McGraw in the second, we have to give him the benefit of the doubt here. [/b][/quote]
    Sorry you don't draft wait and see players in the first three rounds. Lamont was not a wait and see player. You get guys that are going to come in and play immediately or almost immediately.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    we shouldve got Sam Williams or Angelo Crowell, or even Cie Grant

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The info I got was this is a very nice pick. Not fast speed wise but very very SMART. A guy who played inside in college but will have to move outside in the pros who is a wonderful tackler and loves to blitz.

AND!!! Read and react time exceptional. Makes sp for lack of great speed with the time he says in reading things RIGHT - takes the right angles, and makes plays faster guys would maybe not.

For those of us who have been critical of Shadetree's lack of, to be kind, quick read time, this pick thrilled.

Just think Jets fans, with Dwayne at that 3 tech (according to TB) and Fergy beside him, that is a mammoth wall, now we need a SMART MLB behind them calling signals for the D.

I was told the guy just makes plays, makes plays, and makes plays. Loves to tackle, works hard, and eager to learn

NO Diss on Shadetree, but physically he slowed down and he was never known as a quick sizer up of offenses.

What I've wanted at the MLD position for SO LONG is quickness (not necessarily pure speed) combined with gray matter, a mean streaked love of tackling and superb instiincts.

Looks like we might have gotten it at this critical position.

I'm psyched about ROB and HOB in the middle!

TomShane
    Is Hobson anywhere near as good as Nap Harris?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought Hobson ran a 4.66 or 4.6. He's good in coverage.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JetsD-Mastermind[/i]@Apr 26 2003, 10:34 PM
    [b] I thought Hobson ran a 4.66 or 4.6. He's good in coverage. [/b][/quote]
    Sporting News has him as low as 4.4 to 4.5. In his highlight package he looks like he moves very well. This guy is a tackling machine. This is just what we need.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did anyone here happen to see the Outback Bowl last January?

I just read an article stating that was the day injuries forced Michigan's coach to move HOB inside.

He evidently looked very good inside - Herm and Terry and Jesse must have caught that game.

Anyone who saw the game, please tell all.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He is a fine addition to the team. LB was a big need position. TB said that he's be playing SSLB like Mo Lewis. Will he be the type of player who can drop back in coverage? He seems like a real ball hawking type player.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think this is a solid pick and i am pleased with it. We do not need to address WR in this draft. there will be plenty of people after June 1

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    does anyone have any idea how hard it is to play all 4 years and to be a 3 year starter at LB at michigan?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by outsider[/i]@Apr 26 2003, 08:22 PM
    [b] Sorry you don't draft wait and see players in the first three rounds. Lamont was not a wait and see player. You get guys that are going to come in and play immediately or almost immediately. [/b][/quote]
    you're trying to tell us there are 90 impact players in every draft? you might want to rethink that one...

Veteran
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    but WR is the much deeper position in this draft and we desperately need to upgrade at LB...

Taaaa-daaa. There you go.

TomShane
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Smizzy[/i]@Apr 27 2003, 12:07 AM
    [b] does anyone have any idea how hard it is to play all 4 years and to be a 3 year starter at LB at michigan? [/b][/quote]
    Smizz, I was thinking the same thing. Any guy who can step up and play LB in the Big Ten for three years has to have something.