Thread: Day One Grade

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. DT DeWayne Robertson .......... A ~ Plus

An absolute wrecking machine!!

======================================================

2. LB Victor Hobson .......... B

Better Speed than folks initially thought and a tough/aggressive hitter ... but not the type of blinding speed that would mirror the Tampa Bay mold.

Future starter who can be a VERY GOOD PLAYER ... but not spectacular and not that super fast LB who can wreck the game.

Will easily replace Jones or Lewis in the very near future, as he can play both MLB and/or LOLB

3. FB BJ Askew .......... D

Arguably the best FB in the draft, but solid FB's are a dime-a-dozen.

Passed on the super fast OLB Cie Grant, who ironically was plucked with the very next pick. Also passed on the super fast OLB prospect, Shurron Pierson.

Also passed on the speedy OLB and playmaker, Bradie James.

Also passed on TALL WR's Justin Gage, Doug Gabriel, Billy McMullen, Walter Young, and others.

Also passed on a number of fine CB (Julian Battle) and OG prospects.

Also passed on a number of Speedy/Hard Hitting SS prospects ... who could have shortened the length of time we need to endure the slow-footed OLD MAN, Sam Garnes.

Lastly, with no 4th RD Pick ... FB was simply NOT a luxury we could afford in this spot.

This pick gets a "D" not because Askew is not a good football player (he is), but for all of the above reasons.

Overall Day One Grade ..... B

If not for the absolute monster, DeWayne Robertson ..... the Jets would be lookin at a "C" ..... AT BEST

Bottom Line: The Askew pick made NO EARTHLY SENSE ..... NONE WHATSOEVER!!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do you think that with the Askew pick the Jets are looking to use him as a backup FB AND BACKUP RB and are gonna put Lamont Jordan on the trade block? What's your thoughts? Guys don't kill me I love that we have LJ.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bottom Line: The Askew pick made NO EARTHLY SENSE ..... NONE WHATSOEVER!!

based on the fact that you claim there was sooooo much talent passed up to get him, do you think its possible that maybe the pros know something we don't???

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by BGJetfan86[/i]@Apr 26 2003, 10:43 PM
    [b] Do you think that with the Askew pick the Jets are looking to use him as a backup FB AND BACKUP RB and are gonna put Lamont Jordan on the trade block? What's your thoughts? Guys don't kill me I love that we have LJ. [/b][/quote]
    I doubt he's a backup RB...

I agree with the draft grade here.. I wouldn't be so harsh on Askew.. C- I'd give.. B and A seem reasonable for the others... B+ for me.. since Robertson trumps all. We got the best player in the draft.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Mean Bro Green[/i]@Apr 26 2003, 09:43 PM
    [b] Bottom Line: The Askew pick made NO EARTHLY SENSE ..... NONE WHATSOEVER!!

based on the fact that you claim there was sooooo much talent passed up to get him, do you think its possible that maybe the pros know something we don't??? [/b][/quote]
    Mean, I know Askew is a good player ... a damn good player ... I am not disputing that.

I simply question the philosphy of drafting a FB in the 3rd RD when you have far more pressing needs and no 4th RD Pick with which to address them.

I have no doubt that Askew was the highest rated player on TB's board ... but under the circumstances, I would have passed on the highest rated player on my board and took the next highest rated player who also filled a huge need.

I would be very relectant to go away from my board in the 1st RD ... and even the 2nd RD ... but once you get to the 3rd RD the players at the top of your value board are all so closely rated that you can afford to begin addressing some needs.

JMO

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    askew is a FB, replaces Ritchie Anderson and will be a good special teams player, would you be happy going into the season with only Jerald Sowell at FB, personally I wouldn't be, could they have taken a beter player there, sure, but i wouldn't say it wasn't a need pick because it was.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by pope[/i]@Apr 26 2003, 09:50 PM
    [b] askew is a FB, replaces Ritchie Anderson and will be a good special teams player, would you be happy going into the season with only Jerald Sowell at FB, personally I wouldn't be, could they have taken a beter player there, sure, but i wouldn't say it wasn't a need pick because it was. [/b][/quote]
    Pope, I agree ... but so is PK and Punter a need.

But certain positions are a dime-a-dozen ... guys who can be had with a keen eye in the later rounds.

I have always considered FB one of those positions.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hear you Ham if we can grab Gage, Battle or Lloyd in the 5th I'd be real happy. So far I give the draft a B.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham+Apr 26 2003, 10:52 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Green Jets & Ham @ Apr 26 2003, 10:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--pope[/i]@Apr 26 2003, 09:50 PM
    [b] askew is a FB, replaces Ritchie Anderson and will be a good special teams player, would you be happy going into the season with only Jerald Sowell at FB, personally I wouldn&#39;t be, could they have taken a beter player there, sure, but i wouldn&#39;t say it wasn&#39;t a need pick because it was. [/b][/quote]
    Pope, I agree ... but so is PK and Punter a need.

But certain positions are a dime-a-dozen ... guys who can be had with a keen eye in the later rounds.

I have always considered FB one of those positions. [/b][/quote]
    So is PK and K.... I think in the West Coast, FB is not a dime a dozen position.... Not saying I would have taken him in the 3rd.... but he&#39;s going to be good for us and was a need.. we have 1 on the roster&#33;

However, PK and K will be available as undrafted free agents.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hobson a NEED pick? Who&#39;s our Dime LB? And a tweener FB? I would have gone top talent at those spots, screw need&#33; D&#39;Wayne makes everyone on D much better, now I&#39;m concerned with our O&#33; Grade B- overall&#33;

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by aec4[/i]@Apr 26 2003, 09:56 PM
    [b] So is PK and K.... I think in the West Coast, FB is not a dime a dozen position.... Not saying I would have taken him in the 3rd.... but he&#39;s going to be good for us and was a need.. we have 1 on the roster&#33;

However, PK and K will be available as undrafted free agents. [/b][/quote]
    Okay, so Askew can replace Rich Anderson.

And where was Richie Anderson drafted ... the 6th RD&#33;&#33;

And that is my point ... FB is a position you can ALWAYS fill later in the draft with a keen eye.

There was NO REASON to pull the trigger on a FB in the 3rd RD ... especially when we have more pressing needs, no 4th RD Pick with which to address them, and the amount of talent (at those positions of need) that was still ON THE BOARD.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    The hell with it&#33;&#33;&#33; BJ is da&#39;man&#33;&#33; He&#39;s our guy&#33;&#33; Now mine&#33;&#33;
    <-------------------------- :)
    <-------------------------- :D

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham+Apr 26 2003, 11:04 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Green Jets & Ham @ Apr 26 2003, 11:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--aec4[/i]@Apr 26 2003, 09:56 PM
    [b] So is PK and K.... I think in the West Coast, FB is not a dime a dozen position.... Not saying I would have taken him in the 3rd.... but he&#39;s going to be good for us and was a need.. we have 1 on the roster&#33;

However, PK and K will be available as undrafted free agents. [/b][/quote]
    Okay, so Askew can replace Rich Anderson.

And where was Richie Anderson drafted ... the 6th RD&#33;&#33;

And that is my point ... FB is a position you can ALWAYS fill later in the draft with a keen eye.

There was NO REASON to pull the trigger on a FB in the 3rd RD ... especially when we have more pressing needs, no 4th RD Pick with which to address them, and the amount of talent (at those positions of need) that was still ON THE BOARD. [/b][/quote]
    Im not 100% happy with the pick either but I am definitely not as high on these small school players... they went to a small school for a reason. It wasn&#39;t because they wanted to. Yes, people mature at different ages... but in general.. you have a better chance with a good player from a bigger school.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The bottom line is that Bradway will go with the pick that his draft board dictates whether we like it or not. BJ Askew is going to be the new and improved Richie Anderson and will push Sowell for the starting FB job. I&#39;ve seen Hobson and he hits like a MAC Truck. Granted he doesn&#39;t have the sideline to sideline speed but that may not be necessary with all the havoc that our new and improved D-Line is going to create.

The only thing that I don&#39;t like is the #97 jersey that they gave to Robertson. #97 makes me think of Dorian Boose.