Thread: Damn Strangest Draft Pick

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Prisco-

"Steve Spurrier can't help himself. He has to have a Florida receiver on his roster. The Redskins used their second-round pick([i]note-their top pick in this draft[/i]) on Florida receiver Taylor Jacobs, which means he will be their No. 3 behind Laveranues Coles and Rod Gardner. The interesting thing is that before the draft some in the Redskins organization expressed concern that Jacobs wasn't tough enough. At least he'll get to learn behind two good receivers. "

It's generally a good idea to have a QB before you draft ANOTHER WR. I doubt they're having 2nd thoughts about Coles, but that's beyond strange.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Spurrier is trying to emualte Gator football...average QB with Multitudes of great receivers overwhelming the DB's,,,What this numbnuts hasnt figured out yet is that the DBs/Safetys in The NFL can usually severly shut down Run and Gun offenses unless the QB is out of sight also,,,even then its tough....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Being a grad of UF I have seen a lot of Jacobs, that being said I think he has an opportunity to be a heck of an NFL reciever. I did not think he was first round quality only based on the past performance of Florida recievers in the NFL. But I think he will be more like a Jackson from Seattle that a Anthony from Tampa.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was surprised to see Jacobs in round two. Great value for Washington.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm with Bugg...I really don't see the logic in this pick! You just gave a guy a 13 mil. signing bonus to compete with a good reciever that you already have and you pick a reciever with your first pick!?

HELLOOO!! I think someone who can get the ball to all these great recievers would be the smarter move. Is there a miracle quarterback out there that we don't know about?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't doubt the guy is talented. But the Skins seem to believe they can run and gun. It's not gonna work-period. Any DC worth his salt will nickel and dime them and cover these guys like a glove. There's no guesswork to it. They blew a few games last year or wont of a running game. There's talent on both sides of the ball. But there HAD to be another player other than a WR recruited to UF by Spurrier. Simply bizzarre after the money and #1 pick they gave up for Coles.It's like using your top 2 picks for the same position.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Bigdidyo[/i]@Apr 27 2003, 01:36 AM
    [b] I'm with Bugg...I really don't see the logic in this pick! You just gave a guy a 13 mil. signing bonus to compete with a good reciever that you already have and you pick a reciever with your first pick!?

HELLOOO!! I think someone who can get the ball to all these great recievers would be the smarter move. Is there a miracle quarterback out there that we don't know about? [/b][/quote]
    Like I said in earlier post....all u have to do is know spurriers career,,,this is it....he could give a s**t about QB's,,,but like i said i think he underestimates the DB's in the NFL...

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    True...I live in Fl. and have been watching this guy for a long time. I said when he moved up that I didn't think his system would work in the NFL.

I stand by that statement.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's fascinating. Never saw any college coach ever, anytime do what Spurrier does. did Butch Davis try to load his team with Miami players when he went pro? And cripe, they were GOOD,

Spurrier's rap is "his" kids can help teach his system. Yeah sure, NFL pros, most of whom have had to learn several systems, usually much more complex than fun and gun, need Steve's kids to lead the way. SS is quick to always mention if one of his guys doesn't work out, he is gone. Problem is, you have to be one of his to get the chance to be gone.

All it really signifies to the observer is insecurity on Steve's part. It's pitiful.

One out of control guy (Snyder) is enough. Two will sink the ship. I would not want to be Vinnie Cerrato.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    ood, can't wait to see him get crushed the first game

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by MadAsHell[/i]@Apr 27 2003, 01:48 AM
    [b]
    One out of control guy (Snyder) is enough. Two will sink the ship. I would not want to be Vinnie Cerrato. [/b][/quote]
    Or L Coles ;)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Moist draft people had Jacobs as a first rd pick. I was hoping the pats were going to draft him but he went the pick before.

Spurrior' s offence requires 3 wr at all time on the field. I think Morton gets split out wide a lot next year also. I also think Ramsey looked good for a rookie, just as good as Harrington or Carr. I dont understand why people think he is chopped liver. Spurrior did not want to play a rookie qb a lot of coaches dont.

I think the skins battle for the division next year. I dont think Philly is going to be as good.