Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Josh Evans ~ Bottom Line

Bottom Line: Consider this man banned from the league.

If that doesn't happen, then fine ... but the team needs to approach this as if he WILL NOT play one single down of football for the NYJ in 2003

The league has been fairly consistant about this matter ... three strikes and you are @#$&%

Sometimes the league will reinstate the player towards the end of the season, and sometimes they won't ... but at the very least, you are looking at somewhere in the 10 GAMES area ... AT THE VERY LEAST!!

Now the fact that Evans GOT OVER last year on a technicality {and let's face it, he did GET OVER LIKE A FAT RAT}, the league will most likely treat him more along the lines of a FOUR TIME LOSER

Therefore, I'm looking at this as more of a BANNED FROM THE LEAGUE situation ... at least for all of 2003

If it turns out to be less than that, I will be pleasantly surprised ... ummm, more like SHOCKED

And IMHO, that is the way the FO needs to look at this situation as well. {i.e. realistically}

Comments?

Do we get the cap money back for him if he is banned?

If he's suspended for the season (or for life) how will that affect the Jets cap? Surely the Jets must have had a clause to protect themselves from this.

I agree.I don't believe we will be seeing Evans in a Jets uniform any time soon if ever.With all the other stuff that is happening around the league they might use Evans as an example.Meaning they might be as strict as possible.

Jets Insider VIP
    This is the way he rewards Herm's faith. a**hole.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Rumble in the Bronx[/i]@May 30 2003, 12:58 PM
    [b] Do we get the cap money back for him if he is banned? [/b][/quote]
    No! We don't have to pay him his contract, but the bonus $ is gone and will fall on us as soon as the NFL rules.

[quote][i]Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham[/i]@May 30 2003, 12:55 PM
    [b] Bottom Line: Consider this man banned from the league.

If that doesn't happen, then fine ... but the team needs to approach this as if he WILL NOT play one single down of football for the NYJ in 2003

The league has been fairly consistant about this matter ... three strikes and you are @#$&%

Sometimes the league will reinstate the player towards the end of the season, and sometimes they won't ... but at the very least, you are looking at somewhere in the 10 GAMES area ... AT THE VERY LEAST!!

Now the fact that Evans GOT OVER last year on a technicality {and let's face it, he did GET OVER LIKE A FAT RAT}, the league will most likely treat him more along the lines of a FOUR TIME LOSER

Therefore, I'm looking at this as more of a BANNED FROM THE LEAGUE situation ... at least for all of 2003

If it turns out to be less than that, I will be pleasantly surprised ... ummm, more like SHOCKED

And IMHO, that is the way the FO needs to look at this situation as well. {i.e. realistically}

Comments? [/b][/quote]
    I'd tend to agree. At least from the perspective of the team, especially DeWayne, they have to prepare like he's gone for good.

Anyone know what happens with the signing bonus? Are the Jets on the hook for it cap-wise unless he pays it back (which ain't gonna happen)?

If I was the FO, I would have him tested again at a private facility to determine if it was a mistake or the real deal before I made any rash decisions. I for one do not want to lose him now. Robertson will most likely be a fantastic player but I am not sure he would be ready to start the season full time in NY. The kid was a junior and this is a big role to fill. Harper would contribute but is he really ready either.

There are too many high expectations this season and if DR falters at the start it will be BAD....real BAD. If the re-test shows the FO the test was positive, they need to get a vet in here fast. Not sure who is out there who can help. I am going to prepare for the backlash on this but how about a minimum contract to Russell? Although there will not be many June 1's this year, maybe someone unexpected falls in our lap.

All in all it is way to early to jump to conclusions, IMO.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I just saw at the very vottom of one of the articles that I read that Dale Carter was suspened by the league "indefinitely" last July and then was reinstated by the league in November.

Huh???? How is that posible?

Christian Peters is available. All is not lost.

[quote][i]Originally posted by Dude Love[/i]@May 30 2003, 01:46 PM
    [b] Christian Peters is available. All is not lost. [/b][/quote]
    Do you just want someone in here to fill a roster spot, or do you want a real player who may be able to contribute?

All Pro
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Rumble in the Bronx[/i]@May 30 2003, 01:58 PM
    [b] Do we get the cap money back for him if he is banned? [/b][/quote]
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][b][color=green]IF NFL BAND JOSH EVANS WE GET ALL SALARY OFF ARE CAP JUST LIKE THE RAIDERS FOR RUSSELL [/color].[/b][/SIZE]

If Evans got all the money at once the jets cant get any SB relief.
    What the Pats did with Glenn was to give him 6 annual payments. Once he messed up they told him they would not be sending him any more SB payments in the future.

That is the way they should have handled it with evans with him having 2 1/2 strikes against him already. But in hindsight everything is clear.

Bottom line, he's stupid a$$

Only silver lining is the money is off the books.

Veteran
    1) The official rule is a life time suspension when you test positive for the 3rd time. He can be reinstated by the commissioner but it won't be before at least a year. Evans was already suspended by NFL for his 2nd abuse.

2) Odds are the Jets have a protection in the contract for the bonus money and that Evans will be forced to pay it back. The problem is that this won't happen until the appeal is over. After that, there might be arbitration between the Jets and Evans. In short, the Jets are looking to get a credit next season just like the Broncos did for their WR who left the team (can't remember his name...he plays for KC).

3) You can't have him tested at a private facility because the test took place some weeks ago. It just came out today.

4) I'm sure Mr Roberston's agent is not too sad about this. Can you imagine how much leverage he just received...

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by gamingfrog[/i]@May 30 2003, 03:04 PM
    [b] 1) The official rule is a life time suspension when you test positive for the 3rd time. He can be reinstated by the commissioner but it won't be before at least a year. Evans was already suspended by NFL for his 2nd abuse.

2) Odds are the Jets have a protection in the contract for the bonus money and that Evans will be forced to pay it back. The problem is that this won't happen until the appeal is over. After that, there might be arbitration between the Jets and Evans. In short, the Jets are looking to get a credit next season just like the Broncos did for their WR who left the team (can't remember his name...he plays for KC).

3) You can't have him tested at a private facility because the test took place some weeks ago. It just came out today.

4) I'm sure Mr Roberston's agent is not too sad about this. Can you imagine how much leverage he just received... [/b][/quote]
    Robertson gains no leverage-You are basically slotted.

Brenjetsfan
    [quote][i]Originally posted by mbn007+May 30 2003, 01:52 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (mbn007 @ May 30 2003, 01:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Dude Love[/i]@May 30 2003, 01:46 PM
    [b] Christian Peters is available. All is not lost. [/b][/quote]
    Do you just want someone in here to fill a roster spot, or do you want a real player who may be able to contribute? [/b][/quote]
    a TIGHT END would be nice ;)

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by gamingfrog[/i]@May 30 2003, 03:04 PM
    [b] 2) Odds are the Jets have a protection in the contract for the bonus money and that Evans will be forced to pay it back. The problem is that this won&#39;t happen until the appeal is over. After that, there might be arbitration between the Jets and Evans. In short, the Jets are looking to get a credit next season just like the Broncos did for their WR who left the team (can&#39;t remember his name...he plays for KC). [/b][/quote]
    Hey Gaming I actually see eye to eye with you on this one. I also suspect the Jets have some language protecting themselves. Even if they don&#39;t the Jets could bring a civil suit against Evans for breach of contract in an attempt to recover the bonus moneys.

My guess is if the league upholds the findings Evans will be gone for at least a year. The league will also make a decision that the Jets will be the last team Evans plays for. If the Jets are not interested in his services after this season I would expect the league to make the ban permament. If the Jets want to hold on to him I would expect the league to reinstate him towards the end of the season. This second option would come with the requirement that Evans surrenders his entire bonus and renegotiates his contract. Obviously the bonus money would be taken, dividied up and add to his base salary. He would only be paid while he&#39;s on the active roster.

If the Jets want to part ways with Evans they would probably allow Evans to retain a a portion of his bonus equal to the prorated value of 1 year worth of service. Seeing as he received 3 mill for 3 years I would guess about 1 Million to tell Evans to hit the road and get on with your life. If the Jets were feeling bad for him they could throw in a life time subscription to High Times Magazine, a DVD copy of Up In Smoke autographed by Cheech Marin and complete sets of Bob Marley and Peter Tosh CDs. Tom Shane has got nothing on me &#33; ;)

It&#39;s abundantly clear that the Jets don&#39;t need Evans in November or December. They don&#39;t need him in 2004 or 2005. They need him now &#33; And barring a second successful appeal that&#39;s not going to happen. So from my perspective the team will signal the league to ban him for life and do everything it can to cut its losses and minimize its cap hit.

Unfortunately that&#39;s the way it goes. Evans record was public knowledge when the Jets got involved with him. I don&#39;t fault Bradway and Edwards for signing him. They had a lot of holes to patch and evans was clearly the best player available. But these ventures fail far more often than they succeed.

[quote][i]Originally posted by WestCoastMole[/i]@May 30 2003, 10:35 PM
    [b] Unfortunately that&#39;s the way it goes. Evans record was public knowledge when the Jets got involved with him. I don&#39;t fault Bradway and Edwards for signing him. They had a lot of holes to patch and evans was clearly the best player available. But these ventures fail far more often than they succeed. [/b][/quote]
    Well Said, WCM

It was a necessary risk that had to be taken. It paid dividends in YEAR ONE, and we got burnt in YEAR TWO

Having said that, I would sign on the dotted line right this minute to get this player back in November {we should be so fortunate, cause I suspect the league is gonna throw the absolute book at this player}.

Anyway, if we do get him back in November, that would basically give us an extra DT for the stretch-run ..... it will be like aquiring a good player late in the season when you can use all the manpower you can get.

Like I said, where do I sign?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I really have nothing to add. except that

[SIZE=4]THIS SUCKS&#33;&#33;[/SIZE]

But hey, just a hunch, he slides on this one&#33;&#33; ;)