Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Josh Evans ~ Bottom Line

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham[/i]@May 30 2003, 10:53 PM
    [b] Anyway, if we do get him back in November, that would basically give us an extra DT for the stretch-run ..... it will be like aquiring a good player late in the season when you can use all the manpower you can get.

Like I said, where do I sign? [/b][/quote]
    GJ&H I have no doubt in my mind that if the Jets want to retain Evans they will mandate that his bonus must be returned and the contract renegotiated.

Any future contract he signs with the Jets will have ZERO bonses it would be simple. You play a game you get paid ! The Jets will never take any risks with him again.

That's if the league sees fit to reinstate him.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by WestCoastMole[/i]@May 30 2003, 11:14 PM
    [b] GJ&H I have no doubt in my mind that if the Jets want to retain Evans they will mandate that his bonus must be returned and the contract renegotiated.

Any future contract he signs with the Jets will have ZERO bonses it would be simple. You play a game you get paid ! The Jets will never take any risks with him again.

That's if the league sees fit to reinstate him. [/b][/quote]
    Oh I agree with you 100%

The Jets should NEVER give this player ONE DIME of upfront money again ... NOT EVER

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    First Evans will never give the signing bonus back, by the time it gets to the courts that money will be gone. If you dont recover the money physically you can not get it off your cap. (Re the Broncos with Carter.) The 3million will be his nest egg and he wont play in the league anymore.

While he is banned from football, his salary does not count just the yearly amortization of his SB. When Russel comes back his salary af 10mill goes on the books, but the raiders will be able to cut him and just count 3mill on this years cap and 3 on next years.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JonEJet[/i]@May 30 2003, 11:00 PM
    [b] I really have nothing to add. except that

[SIZE=4]THIS SUCKS!![/SIZE]

But hey, just a hunch, he slides on this one!! ;) [/b][/quote]
    Agree with you Jon and hope you're right that he beats this one.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Scott Dierking[/i]@May 30 2003, 01:06 PM
    [b] I just saw at the very vottom of one of the articles that I read that Dale Carter was suspened by the league "indefinitely" last July and then was reinstated by the league in November.

Huh???? How is that posible? [/b][/quote]
    There is no 'lifetime' ban in the NFL for violating the drug policy. Tagliubue can impose any penalty he wants.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This just really sucks and puts a dent in the D Line depth that was once the strong point with Robertson on board. As you have all stated, the salary cap hit should not be that bad, I am just hoping they had some kind of drug suspension clause in his contract. What a stupid a$$ this guy is...wasting his talent, losing $$$..and now our time.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by patman[/i]@May 31 2003, 07:16 AM
    [b] First Evans will never give the signing bonus back, by the time it gets to the courts that money will be gone. If you dont recover the money physically you can not get it off your cap. (Re the Broncos with Carter.) The 3million will be his nest egg and he wont play in the league anymore.

While he is banned from football, his salary does not count just the yearly amortization of his SB. When Russel comes back his salary af 10mill goes on the books, but the raiders will be able to cut him and just count 3mill on this years cap and 3 on next years. [/b][/quote]
    Patman you can bet the league will consult with the Jets on this matter. If the league gives the ok for Evans to return the Jets will have all of the say over how Evans makes a come back. If Evans genuinely wants to play football again he's going to have to fork over every penny of his bonus.

If Evans decideds that his NFL Life is over he will no doubt try to tennis shoe off into the sunset with his bonus. That's easier said than done. If the Jets put any kind of clause in his contract that holds Evans bound to maintaining himself clean of drug use the Jets would have legal grounds to take civil actions against Evans declaring him in breach of contract. It is very easy to subpoena bank records and the courts have the power to attach liens to each and every account to which money was transferred from the account Evans had the Jets transfer the bonus money into. Yes money that was spent is in most cases lost [b]but[/b] the banks in the early 90s instituted a program called "Know your customer". It's a very Orwellian Creature but what is does is set off alarm bells if customers move large sums of money into and out of accounts. It is also hooked up with the airlines and air charter services. So the only way Evans could beat the Jets out of the money is to wire it to Switzerland, the Cayman Islands or pull a DB Cooper.