Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: definition of a real fan?

i have a confession; im not a life long Jets fan.... i know i know im ashamed too... ok i used to like the Panthers (yeah its embarassing but i saw their preseason game against jacksonville in their expansion year and they were the first team i ever liked)... well i stopped liking them after Collins quit cause his heart wasnt in it... not cause they sucked (i was with the jets at 1-4 and still proud of 'em)... another confession; i dont watch every game... ill follow it online but im superstious when it comes to some games and i feel i jinx them if i watch em... one more; i buy jerseys of non jets players... ok my question... am i real fan? i think so because i follow them almost religously (though that goes with the NFL in general too)... but i love the jets buy their stuff everything...

oh yeah im skippin precal (im a junior in HS) to be on this board lol

All Pro
    [color=red]REMOVE THAT SIGNATURE IMMEDIATELY!!!!....[/color]just kidding :D

Undrafted Free Agent
    I hate to be the one to break it to you...but no. you are not a real fan.

J/K Who cares what youre freinds say....what does your heart say? I think only you can judge weather you are a fan or not, so when you find out please let us all know!

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Hey Fat - do we need to stage an intervention 4 U? :huh: ;)

Dont ever let anyone tell you you're not a fan. You define your own fandom. If you think you're a fan, then you are. Far be it from any of us to make requirements for fandom.

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Brooklyn Jet[/i]@May 30 2003, 04:07 PM
    [b] Dont ever let anyone tell you you're not a fan. You define your own fandom. If you think you're a fan, then you are. Far be it from any of us to make requirements for fandom. [/b][/quote]
    Ditto.

But it wouldn't hurt to watch a game every once in awhile. ;)

Rookie
    Not that I am an authority, but I always judge myself as being a fan of a certain team by asking 1 question.

Does a loss by your team ruin at least the rest of that day?

Jets loss- I am grumpy until at least Thursday

Met loss- I am grumpy the rest of the day/night(Unfortunately I am getting used to them now, and get less grumpy as the year progresses)

Islander loss- Grumpy until next game

ST. JOHN's Hoops loss- Grumpy until next game

Knicks loss- Mildly upset, like someone stepped on my toe.

I consider myself and AVID JETS fan, A BIG METS FAN, an Islander and St. John's fan and I like the Knicks

JMO

lol you guys kick ass.... and yeah a loss pisses the hell out of me... i usually try to avoid my friends the next day cause they say crap about the jets lol... and they brag about how they are real fans but they usually cant even name their entire startin lineup..

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by exiledinjersey[/i]@May 30 2003, 04:14 PM
    [b] Jets loss- I am grumpy until at least Thursday

[/b][/quote]
    Only till Thursday??????? Sheeesh, what kind of fanare you???? ;)

Myself, I have been miserable since the Raider game!! :lol:

Dude don't sweat it, summer of '98 I decided I needed to pick a team. So it was b/w Jets and Giants but Giants put me to sleep and also I wanted to even up the odds in my family. My one uncle and his 3 sons are giants and my other uncle was the Jets fan in the family so I told him I was going to be a Jets fan. Well ofcourse that season is a breakout year for the franchise and while it helped to hook me in some people called me a bandwagon fan. These days if anyone says sh*t to me I could run cirlces around them with the knowledge I've acquired through these message boards, research and mostly my uncle.

All Pro
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JonEJet+May 31 2003, 03:07 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (JonEJet @ May 31 2003, 03:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--exiledinjersey[/i]@May 30 2003, 04:14 PM
    [b] Jets loss- I am grumpy until at least Thursday

[/b][/quote]

Myself, I have been miserable since the Raider game&#33;&#33; :lol: [/b][/quote]
    i&#39;m still pissed about the 98&#39; AFC Championship game.. :[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/html/emoticons/mad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='mad.gif'>

[quote][i]Originally posted by Vona41+May 31 2003, 08:12 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Vona41 @ May 31 2003, 08:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -JonEJet@May 31 2003, 03:07 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--exiledinjersey[/i]@May 30 2003, 04:14 PM
    [b] Jets loss-* I am grumpy until at least Thursday

[/b][/quote]

Myself, I have been miserable since the Raider game&#33;&#33; :lol: [/b][/quote]
    i&#39;m still pissed about the 98&#39; AFC Championship game.. :&#60;&#33;--emo&Angry:--&#62;[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/html/emoticons/mad.gif[/img]&#60;&#33;--endemo--&#62; [/b][/quote]
    I would still like Rich Kotite&#39;s head.
    On a stake.

the worst i have ever felt about a jet loss was the heidi game.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    If you&#39;re depressed and grumpy for 3-4 days after the Jets lose a game then you are a true fan.

On a serious note:

the most important attribute of a real fan is his or her ability to stick with their team no matter what excruciating, perrenial torture they dish out to you. Being upset after a loss proves very little, other than the fact that you don&#39;t have much else to look forward to. It&#39;s tough to want to throw a beer bottle through the TV after a Jet loss if you&#39;re shagging Britney Spears before during, and after the game&#33;

The most important thing is sticking with them and avoided the urge to hop on some other team&#39;s bandwagon. No offense to all you Yankee fans, I know each and every one of you has been a diehard since birth (bwahahahahahhaha)

To be fair, you are allowed ONE change in your lifetime...not one change for every sport...ONE change period. So use it judiciously...anything more than one change is wishy-washy.

Hall Of Fame
    It&#39;s like being [i]almost pregnant[/i]. No such thing.

You&#39;re a Jets fan, alright.

And until death do us part.

i believe, you are not a die ahrd jet fan, but you could be a fan
    i&#39;m a die hard jets fan, even though i liked the cowboys when i was 10, now im 15 and i don&#39;t miss a jets game, i know everything about them, my room is all green and white, and when they lose, i don&#39;t go out of my house till they win
    i consider me a die hard jet fan

Veteran
    My friends say that I am not a football fan just a jets fan. I have not missed a Jets game on TV since Direct TV came out. They will be like if the Jets are playing the Lions and the Lions are 1-9 and the Jets are 8-2 at the same time two undefeated teams or two rival teams are playing each other that I should watch them instead of the Jets. Because its a better football game. Or in a rare instance the Jet game is not a nail bitter and they are blowing a team out that I should put on a better game. I&#39;ve actualy got into a fight with a friend for grabbing the remote and changing a Jet game because they were winning and the other game was close. As far as feeling depressed after a loss forget about it don&#39;t even talk to me until they are winning. I won&#39;t answer the door phone or for that mattar wife and kids when the game is on. :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

All League
    This is how you know you&#39;re a real fan, any of the following should still cause some sort of resentment or bitterness (obviously age is a factor to recall some of these moments):

Blanchard forgets that he&#39;s a placekicker and is personally responsible for keeping the Jets out of the playoffs in &#39;93.

The Marino Spike which lead to hiring Kotite?&#33;?&#33;?&#33;?&#33;? :blink:

Expansion teams have a better record than us(&#39;95)

Jets-Lions game &#39;97

AFC Championship game against Denver in &#39;98

Heading into the &#39;99 season and have it all end 5 mins into the season opener.

Parcells and Belichick are quitters&#33;

Al groh and the final three games on 2000. BAltimore game hurt the most.

Raiders.

I could be a happier person if it was not for these tragic moments in Jets history. The severity of anguish in your inital reaction to recalling these moments is a good barometer to being a "real Jets fan"
    :lol: