Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Yo whose got access to JC articles?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some camp news is up over there :D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Minicamp Notebook
    By Dan Leberfeld
    Date: May 30, 2003

Lewis' lack of off-season running could hurt him/Chrebet thinks Washington a better fit for Coles

With Mo Lewis still recovering from an off-season hip operation, rookie Victor Hobson is getting significant reps at the strongside linebacker position. These reps are important for Hobson, who is the heir apparent to Lewis. It still remains to be seen how, what Lewis deemed "a serious" hip operation, will impact his ability. Lewis wasn't a speed linebacker before the five hour hip operation, so it will be interesting to see if the procedure slows him down anymore. Also not helping Lewis' speed is the fact that he still hasn't been cleared to run full speed. A 33-year-old player like Lewis need all the off-season running he can get to avoid losing a step. Just ask Junior Seau, who trains religiously to stay on top of his game. This lack of training due to the surgery could hurt Lewis . . .
    Wayne Chrebet thinks that Washington is a better fit for Lavaranues Coles, even though he hated to see his friend go.

"Me and Laveranues Coles became real close last year," said Chrebet. "We were almost inseparable. We talked with each other through the contract negotiations. Washington's a better situation for him." That remains to be seen, but in the mean time, Chrebet and new Jet Curtis Conway, are working hard to improve their chemistry with Chad Pennington. "Me and Curtis were talking about getting our timing down with Chad," said Chrebet. "I told him I really only had 10 games with him last year. I'm still going through the process myself. That's why these OTAs are so important." .. . .

The Jets are in the early stages of contract negotiations with Dewayne Robertson's agent Hadley Engelhard. On Monday, members of the Jets front office took Robertson, his parents, and Engelhard out to dinner at Morton's Steakhouse . . . FB Shaun Bennett struggled in the first couple of practices in the OTA's. He fumbled handoffs in the first two practices . . .

The Jets continue to struggle on deep passes down the sideline. Pennington completed a deep pass in yesterday's practice, but it was out of bounds. This was a problem throughout last season. A number of go routes down the sidelines were completed out to bounds. The Jets need a lot of work on the deep ball. Santana Moss playing on the Jets new fast surface at the Meadowlands should be a big help . . .

LB Kelvin Moses had a pretty pass breakup over the middle on ball intended for Jon Carter. With all the talk about the Jets need for young blood at linebacker, Moses has become an afterthought, but he is a pretty good player. He has excellent strength (500 pound bench press) and speed (4.6 forty). Keep an eye on this guy in training camp . . .

The Jets have filed a lawsuit against the Meadowlands, complaining that they are being overcharged on their rent. The suit says the Jets were overcharged by $7.63 million since 1999. The Jets claim they are required to give the Meadowlands 15 percent of their ticket sales as rent, while the Giants play just 10 percent.

"We view the Jets as valuable tenants," said Meadowlands chief George Zoffinger said, "but we do have to act in the best interests of New Jersey taxpayers. This suit is an attempt to squeeze more taxpayers' money out of us at the same time they're trying to convince New York to build them a new $3 billion stadium."

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you very much MAH.

Veteran
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mad, much appreciated.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vona, you are most welcome. Here is yesterday's minicamp report.

Minicamp Notebook
    By Dan Leberfeld
    Date: May 29, 2003

Here are some of Herman's Edwards thoughts at the beginning of the second minicamp. Topics include John Abraham's illness and the team's problem with the deep ball:

Q)What are your thoughts on the first practice?

Edwards: We had four fouls in team situations. You don't want to beat yourselves. We've got to continue to just concentrate on establishing that with the players. Fortunately the last two years we were the least penalized team in football. You're going to get beat every once in a while, but you don't need to beat yourself. If you do it in practice, you'll do it in the game.

Q)There still seems to be problem connecting on deep go-routes down the sideline?

Edwards: We've had problems with the timing on that throw. He's throwing the ball 45 yards downfield. It looks easy but it's not. We're going to throw some in the preseason games, too. It kind of gets away from our offense, which is geared to make the first down. You miss one of those on first down and all of a sudden it's second-and-10. Paul (Hackett) doesn't like that, but I'm on the headset saying, ``Throw it again.''

Q)What did you see from rookie running back Ian Smart out there?

Edwards: I really can't wait till we go live and he catches punts. He's a natural. He's like a fish in water. I haven't seen him drop one. He has a lot of confidence. He's got a chance. The guy scored 95 touchdowns, I don't care if it's elementary school. That's a lot of touchdowns.

Q)Why was John Abraham not practicing?

Edwards: John had his tonsils and adenoids removed. We felt the last year or so he was out of breath, and that was the cause of it. He could hardly breathe out of his nose anymore. I think it's going to be a lot better for him. He was always breathing out of his mouth. You'd watch him and say he's just too good an athlete to be out of shape. He might miss a week or two (of the minicamp). That's OK. Let's do it now and get it over with.

Q)There were several players in trouble with the law around the NFL this week. Did you address that with the team?

Edwards: They saw it this morning. They saw all the guys and everything everybody was writing about, it was up on the overhead (projector). I always have the guys cut them out and lay them on my desk. There were six or seven of them. I always tell our players, choose your friends, don't let them choose you. Generally I tell them all the time, when it's 12 at night, nothing good happens. I tell them if it's midnight wherever you are, you need to go home..

Q)Are you working Dewayne Robertson at the three or the nose?

Edwards: We are working him at the three right now, but that is not to say he can't play the nose. He will be in the rotation. We plan on having him play over the guard and knock down the quarterback.

Q)Are you concerned that Robertson didn't have more sacks in college?

Edwards: He was drawing a lot of double-team blocks. It had a lot to do with the guys surrounding him too. When you are the best player on the defense, obviously they are going to block you. He was there best player by far.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you...kind of ironic Herm was talking about players not messing up. :(

and don't worry Herm, DRo's sacks will come.

Veteran
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by MadAsHell[/i]@May 30 2003, 09:42 PM
    [b] We're going to throw some in the preseason games, too. It kind of gets away from our offense, which is geared to make the first down. You miss one of those on first down and all of a sudden it's second-and 10. [b]Paul (Hackett) doesn't like that but I'm on the headset saying, ``Throw it again.'' [/b]

[/b][/quote]
    hmmmm....

^^sarcasm^^

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info, dude should give subscibers to the mag access :[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/html/emoticons/mad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='mad.gif'>

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks MAH ... this is why everyone adores you.

And if someone doesn't adore this wonderful lady, I suggest you keep it to yourself ... cause I warn you, I will take a bullet for this gal. :)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks GJ&H, of course it goes without saying I adore you too. :D

After your thread yesterday on JC I noticed they are now offering the print sub with the online, so it made sense to renew, especially since I have so many "boys" on so many teams to keep tabs on.

Of course there's the same amount of fluff (did anyone know Nate Clements is the best bowler on the Bills - 160-170s, and that's ten pins, NOT duck pins, and he actually talks trash on it) but the draft info is usually good, as well as the college stuff.

Yeah LJ, that's what struck me too. :D HACKETT! We know darn well what he he will quickly revert to after a few first and long incompletes. Herm just has to keep after him.

The Sporting News had its Jets report out today and mentioned the secondary, suited of course, for zone, will be playing much more man this year. All right, lol. Also mentioned Ray Mickens has not had one single interception in three years. Three years? That's when Tuna gave him that fat contract, rite? I have the feeling by season's end GJ&H WILL wish we had drafted Newman. :rolleyes:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by MadAsHell[/i]@May 30 2003, 10:58 PM
    [b] Also mentioned Ray Mickens has not had one single interception in three years. Three years? That's when Tuna gave him that fat contract, rite? I have the feeling by season's end GJ&H WILL wish we had drafted Newman. :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
    MAH, I have always felt Mickens gets a bit too much hype, so this does not surprise me.

When folks call him the best nickel-back in the league, or even amongst the best, I often wonder what it is that I'm missing ... cause I don't see it?

As for Newman, never happen MAH

I'm a product of the 70's & 80's, that's when I came of age as a football fan, thus that is the era that formed my philosophy.

Needless to say, that was the era of the DOMINANT FRONT-FOURS

The Steel Curtain ... Doomsday ... the Purple People Eaters ... THE SACK EXCHANGE ... 85 Bears ... etc. etc.

So I'll always choose the dominant front-four player over the shutdown CB ... every time. ;)

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by MadAsHell[/i]@May 30 2003, 10:58 PM
    [b] After your thread yesterday on JC I noticed they are now offering the print sub with the online, so it made sense to renew, especially since I have so many "boys" on so many teams to keep tabs on.

[/b][/quote]
    MAH, hon ... I'm a new Jets fan ... what pub are you referring to ("JC")? how do I check them out to see if I want to subscribe?

:unsure:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Ted in Evansville+May 31 2003, 12:26 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Ted in Evansville @ May 31 2003, 12:26 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--MadAsHell[/i]@May 30 2003, 10:58 PM
    [b] After your thread yesterday on JC I noticed they are now offering the print sub with the online, so it made sense to renew, especially since I have so many "boys" on so many teams to keep tabs on.

[/b][/quote]
    MAH, hon ... I&#39;m a new Jets fan ... what pub are you referring to ("JC")? how do I check them out to see if I want to subscribe?

:unsure: [/b][/quote]
    [url=http://www.jetsconfidentialstore.com/jetconnew.html]http://www.jetsconfidentialstore.com/jetconnew.html[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some thoughts on the JC articles...

Strange comment from WC that Coles better off in Washington (?) ever get the feeling WC has a santeria altar in his home practicing voodoo on the #1 wideouts? ;) watch out Conway&#33;
    Inseparable, yet Coles dissed Chrebet twice since going to Washington, go figure.

Penny still having trouble throwing deep and JC already does a Q&A with Bollinger talking about how strong an arm he has. I&#39;ve been getting Fred Jetstone thoughts on Bollinger taking over Help me&#33;&#33;

And Hackett...something ain&#39;t right with this guy. Tuna said the WCO was invented by headcoach wannabees (offensive coordinators).

Veteran
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by R. Tyme[/i]@May 31 2003, 03:14 AM
    [b] Strange comment from WC that Coles better off in Washington (?) ever get the feeling WC has a santeria altar in his home practicing voodoo on the #1 wideouts? ;) watch out Conway&#33;
    Inseparable, yet Coles dissed Chrebet twice since going to Washington, go figure.

[/b][/quote]
    Ha&#33; I thought that was rather odd as well. But maybe he wasn&#39;t really dissing Wayne, maybe he was just upset that about the LOVE Terry gave Wayne.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Mad

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jayrad01+May 31 2003, 01:42 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (jayrad01 @ May 31 2003, 01:42 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -Ted in Evansville@May 31 2003, 12:26 AM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--MadAsHell[/i]@May 30 2003, 10:58 PM

[/b][/quote]
    MAH, hon ... I&#39;m a new Jets fan ... what pub are you referring to ("JC")? how do I check them out to see if I want to subscribe?

:unsure: [/b][/quote]
    [url=http://www.jetsconfidentialstore.com/jetconnew.html]http://www.jetsconfidentialstore.com/jetconnew.html[/url] [/b][/quote]
    done .... thanks, jayrad01&#33; :D