Post Thanks / Like
    Happy Birthday Joe!

5/31/43

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Happy B-Day Broadway

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    happy b-day to the the sports idol i ever had. what a rush it was watching him throw that football. best long ball of all time.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    A wonderful tribute to Joe in today's press.

[url=http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMjEmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTYzODU2NjUmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2]http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcn...2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2[/url]

Funny how Joe explained to Chad the "right" way to sign an autograph.

Happy 60th Birthday, Joe Namath.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOE!!!!!!!!
    Hey Jetgirl, let's toast to that!!!!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did anybody ever read Bill Walshs book, How To Build A Champion. In one chapter he talks about the best QB's to ever play the game, as I was reading it, I was like what the F&#k, no mention of Nameth! The very next paragraph, He says, "The best Qb to ever play the game is Joe Nameth" man, tears came to my eyes. Coming from him, thats astounding!!

Happy Birthday to the bets QB ever!!!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks MAH ... and a few quotes from the column you provided. ;)

[b]Current Jets Owner, Woody Johnson:[/b] In many respects, he's the most important player in the history of the Jets.

[b]Woody Johnson:[/b] You judge a quarterback on wins, and he won the big one. From that standpoint, #12 is a sacred number.

[b]68/69 Jets OL, John Schmitt:[/b] Joe's guarantee? We all said at the time, We'd better win, because Joe said so.

[b]68/69 Jets DB, Randy Beverly:[/b] I've always said the offense was what made our defense so good. Going up against the best quarterback in both leagues, and George Sauer and Don Maynard, the best receivers in the league, we had no choice but to be good.

[b]68/69 Jets DC, Walt Michaels:[/b] There was no question about Joe and his arm and his ability. But [then owner] Sonny Werblin said, You've got to do certain things, and he did them. There was the lambskin rug and the long hair, but when it was game time, he put it on the line.

[b]68/69 Jets HOF WR, Don Maynard:[/b] That's why the Jets voted Namath their captain. That shows you the attitude and feelings his teammates had for him. That's the way he was, just a plain everyday guy.

[b]Current Jets QB, Chad Pennington:[/b] I was signing my name {at an autograpgh show}, and you really couldn't read the "Chad." He told me, "Look, you need to let them see your name. That's the most important thing in an autograph. Take time to spell your name out." So I do that now ... although I still have to fudge the "Pennington" because it's a little too long.

[b]Current Jets HC, Herman Edwards:[/b] No matter what age he turns, he's still Broadway Joe.

[b]Jets HOF QB, Joe Namath:[/b] I plan on being around until I'm about 100. If that's the case, I'm just in the early third quarter. B)

======================================================

[b]Green Jets & Ham:[/b] Happy Birthday, Joe Willie ;)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    HAPPY BRITHDAY JOE !

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    My childhood football hero, for sure.

He's also the only guy whose autograph I would pay for. If anyone hears about him doing an autograph show, please let me know.

Happy Birthday, Joe.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    a very happy Birthday to you Broadway JOE, and wishing you many more birthdays.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have an absolutely Happy Birthday Broadway Joe! :D

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Bob the Jets Fan™[/i]@May 31 2003, 01:18 PM
    [b] My childhood football hero, for sure.

He's also the only guy whose autograph I would pay for. If anyone hears about him doing an autograph show, please let me know.

Happy Birthday, Joe. [/b][/quote]
    Bob, I have my authentic autographed jersey of Namath....... :P I love it!

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jetsin2003[/i]@May 31 2003, 12:26 PM
    [b] HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOE!!!!!!!!
    Hey Jetgirl, let's toast to that!!!! [/b][/quote]
    Sure thing cutie, I'm free tonight, where do you want to go?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, Broadway Joe is 60 today. It seems like yesterday that him and Jim Brown were in the same backfield on the former NBC hit show the A-Team (1986) ;)

Actually, believe it or not, my only NFL recollection of Mr.Namath was a Monday Night Game he played against Chicago. Of course as a real young kid, I remember almost nothing about that night. I do, however, remember him wearing the uniform of the [b]Los Angeles Rams[/b] and doing poorly Angry

The two New York athletes, in history, I always wished I saw play locally in their prime were [b]Tom Seaver[/b]* and [b]Joe Namath[/b]. I guess there was always something about the legend those two players built that made them seem so special, even in retrospect. I think both, particulary Joe, transcended sports and became local celebs in their era. Ironically, Tom Seaver was also born 1943.

Years later, when I look at the stats compiled by Tom Seaver, particulary with the Mets, I can't help but be in awe. Namath, conversely, gives me the opposite feeling. I suppose if you just looked at his career stats, you'd laugh at that thought of him being a Hall of Fame NFL QB. However, it seems looking at Joe's stats don't tell the story. For example: In his 13 year NFL career, Joe Willie only completed 50% of his passes; he also throw only 173 Td's versus 220 Int's.

I realize those stats are a bit deceiving because Joe tailed off in a big way after his knees got worse. But still, in his 13 years, he threw more TD's than Int's in only 2 seasons (1965 and 1969). His best season in terms of completion percentage was a mere 52.9%.

Despite this, like I said, I wish I had seen him play in his prime, as I suppose stats are not telling enough for the impact he had on the sport. I wish Mr. Namath a happy birthday, and I hope he does make it to 100 years old.....

*I did see Seaver pitch for the Mets in his 1 year return to NY in 1983, but that was in a real bad situation. Still, he did real well, all things considered.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Funny you should mention Seaver. I never saw him pitch for the Mets-it was always that lefty-but did see him get #300 in the Bronx on Holy Cow Day. After Fan Photo Day at Shea today I went over to Fan Fest. [b]Doug Flynn, Pat Zachary,[/b] Joel Youngblood and Dan Norman were signing autos. If I remember correctly, the 1st two were our compensation for #41.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JumbalayaJet[/i]@May 31 2003, 11:38 PM
    [b] Funny you should mention Seaver. I never saw him pitch for the Mets-it was always that lefty-but did see him get #300 in the Bronx on Holy Cow Day. After Fan Photo Day at Shea today I went over to Fan Fest. [b]Doug Flynn, Pat Zachary,[/b] Joel Youngblood and Dan Norman were signing autos. If I remember correctly, the 1st two were our compensation for #41. [/b][/quote]
    Wow, talk about a flashback [b]Jumba: June 15, 1977[/b].

I was in elementary school at that time and a Mets fan. The day before (or a few days before), I think I can remember Seaver pitching his last game, before the trade, at the Astrodome. The Mets won 3-1 and the final out was by an Astros 2nd baseman named [b]Art Howe[/b], who flew out to [b]Dave Kingman[/b] in LF. Anybody here ever hear of Art Howe? ;)

Anyway, [b]Seaver was traded for 3 of the players noted above: Pat Zachry, Doug Flynn and Dan Norman[/b]. Steve Henderson was the 4th player in that Seaver deal......Of course, Dave kingman was traded on the same day. I think I must've been the only kid in early elementry school to listen to newsradio :rolleyes: ...... I had just began following the Mets--and sports-- a few weeks before, so when the trades were announced on the radio that morning, right before school, I was devastated Angry .

Actually, at the time, I was much more upset that Kingman was traded, as every one around liked the slugger.

By the way, I can't remember how the Mets got Youngblood. He was from the Cinncinati Reds also, but I just looked it up, and said the Mets aquired him from the Cardinals :unsure:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Happy birthday Joe and thanks for the memories.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Happy Birthday Joe..To bad many off the younger Fans
    never saw you play live or when you could Run in College
    before the first Knee injury! Your the Best!!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [color=green][SIZE=3][b]Happy B-Day Joe Willie![/b][/color][/SIZE]

[img]http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/baumerjet/.mids/ThenCameJoe.JPG[/img]

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Happy 60th Birthday sweetie! You still got it :wub:

You were always approachable to fans, always a real man on and off field. I'm happy to be old enough to have seen you play and win the Super Bowl for us. I'm still a Jets fan to this day because of you :)

My Love always.