Thread: Street & Smith's

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just picked up my first pre-season annual for this year. I've been collecting these things for 20 something years. Anyway, they have picked the JETS to come in last in the Division. Patriots,Bills,Dolphins,JETS. They also pick the Patriots to play in the Super Bowl against TB. Now I know these predictions mean nothing. I just find it interesting at how media plays such a large role with these writers for these magazines. With all the off season hype on the JETS losing "key" players, so called experts are writing us off. Someone please explain to me the Patriots great draft, I still can not figure it out. Oh well, just thought you guys might like to know.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not to worry,because at the end of the year,after we beat em all,and go the the championship game,someone somewhere will say we didn`t beat anyone.It won`t bother me,how about the rest of ya`ll.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by NYJ37/12[/i]@May 31 2003, 09:25 AM
    [b] Just picked up my first pre-season annual for this year. I've been collecting these things for 20 something years. Anyway, they have picked the JETS to come in last in the Division. Patriots,Bills,Dolphins,JETS. They also pick the Patriots to play in the Super Bowl against TB. Now I know these predictions mean nothing. I just find it interesting at how media plays such a large role with these writers for these magazines. With all the off season hype on the JETS losing "key" players, so called experts are writing us off. Someone please explain to me the Patriots great draft, I still can not figure it out. Oh well, just thought you guys might like to know. [/b][/quote]
    Just like last season, all of these so called experts were writing the Jets off after the 1st 5 games of the season and they wound up eating alot of shoe leather at the end of the season when we won the division. They can't even get it right when the season is in progress so how accurate are they before the season even starts.... Oh I'd say about as accurate doing precision surgery with a hand grenade! Bottom line, it's not worth the paper it's printed on.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Damn, the AFC is going to be tight!!!

Any number of teams could win it!!

Jets, Dolphags, Raiduhs, Steelers, Browns, Colts, Chiefs and Titans all have a legitimate shot.

These teams are not too far off, maybe a year or so...Pats, Jills, Chargers, Broncos, Ravens.

The scary part, is that is 13 of 16 teams!!!! :unsure:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If we do win the big game, the people that say it was a fluke won't bother me as much as all of the "diehard" fans that [b]will[/b] come out of the woodwork.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Vona41[/i]@May 31 2003, 11:41 AM
    [b] If we do win the big game, the people that say it was a fluke won't bother me as much as all of the "diehard" fans that [b]will[/b] come out of the woodwork. [/b][/quote]
    I don't know about the 'woodwork' fans for us. It seems the Jets fans are more of a cult than for other teams. Seriously, we always get 2nd headlines to the Giants in the papers here. And god forbid if ESPN does a piece on us that lasts for more than 5 seconds. The Jints seem to get alot more bandwagon fans IMO.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    :ph34r:

I purchase magazines such as street & smiths etc but I don't care about whats said about how far the Jets will go.......what happens on the field is what counts...nuff said.

You made a statement about if we win the big game....wannabe fans will come out.....nope...won&#39;t happen....I have been a Jets fan since the friggin 70&#39;s and I know a real Jets fan when i see one....The maniacs on the site are real Jets fans...you can see from what they say.....c&#39;mon peeps....we will know if anyone wants to come on the band wagon. The fact is that we don&#39;t have a wagon....we are just freaks that bleed GREEN & WHITE&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; <_<

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I read all that crap too. Have been for the last 20 something years also, and to tell you the truth, I love being the underdog&#33; Let them pick us last&#33; To me, I think the division is gonna be the excact opposite. Jets,Dolphins,Bills, Patriots. But the Fish could wind up taking the div.
    GO UNDERDOG&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes i picked it up last night ya last place i expect that from them
    They always bash the J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS and there players
    they underate them must of the time.But i kind of like it the players
    see it and they build on it think they are not pissed too. I
    would lets go boys repeat as AFC east champs

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by NYJ37/12[/i]@May 31 2003, 09:25 AM
    [b] Just picked up my first pre-season annual for this year. I&#39;ve been collecting these things for 20 something years. Anyway, they have picked the JETS to come in last in the Division. Patriots,Bills,Dolphins,JETS. They also pick the Patriots to play in the Super Bowl against TB. [/b][/quote]
    Since you have the 20 years of back issues, you could go back and see how well they&#39;ve called the AFC East over that period of time. Probably about as solid as we do.

Jets Jonathan Reese on a TD run for the Admirals today.

[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/hermsherald/mymuchbelovedjets/small/reese.jpg[/img]

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    What else is new? Expect many of these magazines to pick us for last as they usually do. This team will never earn respect until they get to the big game. All of these "EXPERTS" still think this is the same lousy Jets team from years ago. It&#39;s as if they completely ignore what this football team has done over the last 5 or 6 years. Check and see which team has the best division record since that time.

As for this idea of liking to be the underdog, I say bull**** to that. I want to be respected for the excellent football team that we are, but I guess, how can we be compared to the "wonderful and talented Miami
    Dolphins" who fold up every year like an accordian.

Maxman
    I used to value these magazines. But with the internet being what it is, the mags have really become obsolete. They have to publish these things so early they don&#39;t even know who is starting, who is injured, etc.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its very easy to understand why they pick the East the way they do.

last season was essentially a TIE for the entire division. 1 game and tiebreakers decided it all. So assuming that after last season, all teams were essentially equal:

Dolphins: If Fiedler doesn&#39;t get hurt, they are automatically better (though admittedly not THAT much better)
    Pats: Managed 9-7 even with a defense playing like crap, and WRs and LBs decimated by injuries. If O stays the same, but D gets back to even &#39;average&#39;, they get better.
    Bills: Made great strides on defense, only lost 1 WR on O.
    Jets: Replace a good young WR with a &#39;decent&#39; old WR. Lose starters at OG, KR, K, P. Draft only yielded 1 quality player

You can see why they pick Jets last.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The WR, GAURD, Kicker Returner, and Punting won&#39;t hurt.

But the kicking will.

The JETS sweep the bills, and split with the PATS and Dolphins.

The JETS won the divsion with a NT coming off surgery(FERGIE), a LB hurt all year(Mo Lewis), a Sh*ty Free Safety( Damien Robinson), a runningback that should have been on IR and still rushed for 1000yds(Curtis Martin).

With all of these problems that I listed solved, why doesn&#39;t that make the JETS better.

Street & Smith are always stomping on the JETS>

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    It does make the Jets better. But also consider:

Dolphins- If Fiedler doesn&#39;t go down, they do better.

Pats- How likely are they to be that bad on run D again, considering their talent and coaching?

Bills- Much better on defense.

So S+S has to decide which team they think improved the most, since last season was essentially a 4 way tie.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Jared[/i]@May 31 2003, 11:44 PM
    [b] Its very easy to understand why they pick the East the way they do.

last season was essentially a TIE for the entire division. 1 game and tiebreakers decided it all. So assuming that after last season, all teams were essentially equal:
    [/b][/quote]
    While their won-loss records were the same the teams that they beat and how tell a very different story. Both Miami and New England fattened themselves with early season wins over teams that came out of the Preseason flat like the Steelers or disorganized like the Jets.

The Jets on the other hand made their stretch drive to qualify for the playoffs in the most unlikely part of the schedule. They closing 6 weeks when the pundits were writing off the team because their schedule was made up of almost all playoff teams and only a couple of patsies.

Shows ya what good pundits are &#33;

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by MadAsHell+May 31 2003, 07:20 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (MadAsHell @ May 31 2003, 07:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--NYJ37/12[/i]@May 31 2003, 09:25 AM
    [b] Just picked up my first pre-season annual for this year. I&#39;ve been collecting these things for 20 something years. Anyway, they have picked the JETS to come in last in the Division. Patriots,Bills,Dolphins,JETS. They also pick the Patriots to play in the Super Bowl against TB. [/b][/quote]
    Since you have the 20 years of back issues, you could go back and see how well they&#39;ve called the AFC East over that period of time. Probably about as solid as we do.

Jets Jonathan Reese on a TD run for the Admirals today.

[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/hermsherald/mymuchbelovedjets/small/reese.jpg[/img] [/b][/quote]
    That looks like a face mask penalty to me Mad

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Boozer76+May 31 2003, 11:45 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Boozer76 @ May 31 2003, 11:45 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Vona41[/i]@May 31 2003, 11:41 AM
    [b] If we do win the big game, the people that say it was a fluke won&#39;t bother me as much as all of the "diehard" fans that [b]will[/b] come out of the woodwork. [/b][/quote]
    I don&#39;t know about the &#39;woodwork&#39; fans for us. It seems the Jets fans are more of a cult than for other teams. Seriously, we always get 2nd headlines to the Giants in the papers here. And god forbid if ESPN does a piece on us that lasts for more than 5 seconds. The Jints seem to get alot more bandwagon fans IMO. [/b][/quote]
    This is SO true even where I live in upstate. Back in &#39;98 when the Jets went to the Conference title game against the Broncos, I swear there were only (2) diehard fans locally. I went to the Mall one day and EVERYONE was wearing some sort of Jets apparel. And as far as Sports pieces on the Jets, ESPN does keep it pretty short. I like to watch the Heineken Jets Journal or whatever Jets show is on MSG Network :D

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used to waste my money on those rags too
    Now I read them in the asile while the wife shops
    Streets and Smithless have picked use either 3rd or last in the division for that past 10 years