Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redskins Release Big Daddy Wilkinson

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

That's the word on the radio - I don't have a link.

The Skins had been asking him to take a pay cut and he refused - the money was needed to extend Champ Bailey and restructure Arrington. If true, this is one of the most horrendous FO decisions I've ever seen. After losing DT Gardener to the Broncos, the Skins DL was the weakest link on the team. Well, it just got significantly weaker and their defensive interior officially sucks. They'll need to hope Ted Washington or Traylor get released and sign them to the vet minimum and hope for the best.

Snyder broke the bank this season constructing a high-octane offense for Spurrier. What better way to sabotage this plan than to have your O sit on the sidelines all game while opposing teams to run it up your gut and opposing QBs can set up a lawn chair in the pocket looking for open WRs.

Unbelievable.

Although we signed McGlocton, is Wilkinon worth a look?? It would probably mean either Harper/Reed would be a goner. But you can never have enough D-linemen.

can't wait for opening day when Curtis has a lane the size of a mack truck to run through right where Big Daddy would have been

the downside to this watch how quick the Lame-triots swoop on Big Daddy to fill their desperately undermanned NT position

Hall Of Fame
    Yeah Flow, not to mention the fear and loathing this tact has to result in, chemistry-wise, on a team already so heavily laden with "haves" and "have-nots". Champ Bailey, btw, counts himself among the latter.

Must be quite an interesting locker room in DC today.

Way to go Skinz- self implode.

my appetite for game 1 in dc just got wetter. we lost #1 receiver & gained #1 dt in draft.....skins gained #1receiver & lost #1 dt.

help me out , are games won/lost in trenches or outside the hashmarks?

[quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Jul 29 2003, 02:25 PM
    [b] can't wait for opening day when Curtis has a lane the size of a mack truck to run through right where Big Daddy would have been

the downside to this watch how quick the Lame-triots swoop on Big Daddy to fill their desperately undermanned NT position [/b][/quote]
    I'll bet the cowboys take a pretty hard look at getting him

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Jul 29 2003, 02:25 PM
    [b] can't wait for opening day when Curtis has a lane the size of a mack truck to run through right where Big Daddy would have been

the downside to this watch how quick the Lame-triots swoop on Big Daddy to fill their desperately undermanned NT position [/b][/quote]
    exactly what I was thinking ... Curtis and Lamont racing through the middle of that line! ;)

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The fact that the Skins made this move at the start of training camp is 1/2 the reason it's so absurd.

They leave Big Daddy scrambling to latch on with a team at the minimum (which will happen almost immediately, because he's still solid), and they leave themselves at the whim of other teams deciding which DT looks so inept, old, out of shape or injury-prone that they have no use for him. It was terrible form giving Big Daddy the ultimatum so late in the offseason and even more idiotic to actually carry out this insane threat.

[quote][b]
    washingtonpost.com
    Redskins Release Wilkinson

By Mark Maske
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Tuesday, July 29, 2003; 1:57 PM

The Washington Redskins released veteran defensive tackle Dan Wilkinson today after the two sides were unable to agree to a restructured contract.

The Redskins wanted Wilkinson, 30, to take a pay cut after being credited with a career-low 17 tackles last season. He was to have a team-high salary of $3.5 million for the upcoming season. Club officials negotiated Monday night and today with Wilkinson's new agent, Brig Owens, but could not complete a deal.

The move leaves the Redskins looking for a replacement and Wilkinson looking for a job with training camps already under way around the league. For now, the Redskins will elevate Jermaine Haley to the starting defensive tackle spot alongside Brandon Noble. The club acquired Haley, a backup for the Miami Dolphins, as a restricted free agent in April, surrendering a seventh-round draft choice as compensation.

The Redskins also plan to monitor developments with several teams to see which tackles will be on the market as the season approaches. The Chicago Bears might release one of their veteran defensive tackles, Keith Traylor or Ted Washington. The Redskins cleared $3.5 million in salary cap space with the move.

Wilkinson reported to training camp on Sunday but was withheld from the first three practices -- including this morning's session -- while the team attempted to rework his contract.

The club has lost both the starting tackles off a defense that ranked fifth in the NFL last season. Daryl Gardener left the Redskins as an unrestricted free agent in the offseason, signing with the Denver Broncos.

Wilkinson fired George Mavrikes as his agent on Saturday and switched to Owens, a former Redskins player. On Monday, Mavrikes waived a rule that would have prevented Owens from negotiating with the Redskins on Wilkinson's behalf until Friday. The Redskins believed they had a deal with Wilkinson basically in place but could not apply the finishing touches in their discussions with Owens.

Mavrikes and Wilkinson had offered to restructure Wilkinson's contract in such a way that Wilkinson technically would reduce his salary but would receive the difference as, in effect, a bonus that the Redskins could prorate over the remainder of his contract to lower his impact against the salary cap. The Redskins refused and wanted Wilkinson to take a pay cut, but offered him the opportunity to recoup any lost income through incentives based on playing time.

Wilkinson spent five seasons with the Redskins after being acquired in a February 1998 trade that sent first- and third-round draft choices to the Cincinnati Bengals. Wilkinson and fellow tackle Dana Stubblefield arrived together as the would-be saviors of the Redskins' defense but never lived up to that promise. Still, Wilkinson fared better than Stubblefield, who was cut by former Redskins coach Marty Schottenheimer prior to the 2001 season. Wilkinson started all but four games of his Redskins tenure.

He played relatively well in 2001 but struggled last year, when he was plagued by a wrist injury for most of the season. He had his season ended four games early by a torn calf muscle suffered during the Redskins' loss at Dallas on Thanksgiving.

Wilkinson spent the first four seasons of his nine-year NFL career with the Bengals but never has lived up to the advance billing he received as the top overall pick in the 1994 draft out of Ohio State. He at least has been durable, missing only seven games in nine seasons. He has started 135 of his 137 regular season games in the NFL.
    [/b][/quote]

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by joewilly[/i]@Jul 29 2003, 02:34 PM
    [b] I'll bet the cowboys take a pretty hard look at getting him [/b][/quote]
    hoo hoo, JoeWilly!

as for the Skinz, they can move 40 year old Bruce Smith inside. :lol:

With all the crap Synder gave the Jets FO about spinning, it will be real interesting to see how the Pigskins turn this into a positive. Hey Dan, SPIN THIS! Angry

Hall Of Fame
    WOW :o

Let me get this straight. You go out and spend money like it's growing on trees, then turn around and expect a veteran to take a pay cut to help pay for it, then cut him because he won't renegotiate his contract? Unreal. If Wilkinson would of initiated and said, I want a new contract now, the Skins would of told him to go pound sand.

No different than the city I work in. We fight for a raise after 3 1/2 of working on an expired contract, finally get it, then 6 months later the city asks us to take a pay cut because they badly mismanaged their money in the previous fiscal years. F them.

I agree with Bit though...only a matter of time before Big Daddy is wearing Patriot blue.

hahaha
    thats rich.
    I hate snyder.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

This is an interesting strategy by Washington. There's no doubt about it that Wilkinson is not worth the 3.5 million that he was slated to make in 2003.

The Redskins have to hope for two things.

#1- That they get Wilkinson to return for less money.

#2- That The Bears let go of either Keith Traylor or Ted Washington and that they sign one of them.

If not, Then The Skins are going to have serious problems stopping the run this upcoming season.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria[/i]@Jul 29 2003, 02:39 PM
    [b]

No different than the city I work in. We fight for a raise after 3 1/2 of working on an expired contract, finally get it, then 6 months later the city asks us to take a pay cut because they badly mismanaged their money in the previous fiscal years. F them.
    [/b][/quote]
    dude sounds like you need to come down here (miami) our PBA contract is 13-15 percent annually, and its been consistent over the 8 years I've been working

[quote][i]Originally posted by HermsHerald+Jul 29 2003, 02:36 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (HermsHerald @ Jul 29 2003, 02:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--joewilly[/i]@Jul 29 2003, 02:34 PM
    [b] I&#39;ll bet the cowboys take a pretty hard look at getting him [/b][/quote]
    hoo hoo, JoeWilly&#33;

as for the Skinz, they can move 40 year old Bruce Smith inside. :lol: [/b][/quote]
    bruce is only 40?......& here I was thinkin he was old.

hh I have never been hoo hoo&#39;ed before. thank you i think

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by LesterLyles[/i]@Jul 29 2003, 02:24 PM
    [b] Although we signed McGlocton, is Wilkinon worth a look?? It would probably mean either Harper/Reed would be a goner. But you can never have enough D-linemen. [/b][/quote]
    Nah, Chester had 63 tackles last season. Once he shakes about 25 lbs of blubber, probably next week, he will do just fine. Reed and Harper have a lot of upside. Wilkinson had 17 tackles last year.

All League
    For &#036;3.5 million salary Wilkinson had 17 tackles last year-about &#036;206,000 per tackle. I think Redskins actually are not that stupid in releasing him (I may be in the minority on this)- I rather Snyder pay outrageous salary to an underachiever.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Mean Bro Green+Jul 29 2003, 02:44 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Mean Bro Green @ Jul 29 2003, 02:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--The Gun Of Bavaria[/i]@Jul 29 2003, 02:39 PM
    [b]

[/b][/quote]
    dude sounds like you need to come down here (miami) our PBA contract is 13-15 percent annually, and its been consistent over the 8 years I&#39;ve been working [/b][/quote]
    Where do I sign up bro? My parents live in Boca, they&#39;d love for us to move down.

While I wouldn&#39;t mind the Pats adding Big Daddy, they don&#39;t go for those types of NT&#39;s. They prefer the small quicker types.....

Hall Of Fame
    Big Danny looks like he&#39;s sinking fast (July 28 practice)
    [img]http://photos.imageevent.com/hermsherald/holding//snyder.jpg[/img]

Big Daddy on the sidelines. [url=http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/photo?slug=1059502535.redskins_wilkinson_re104&prov=ap]http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/photo?slug=105...n_re104&prov=ap[/url]