Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Redskins Release Big Daddy Wilkinson

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    FlaGreen, I think you are right. Just an immediate reaction but I really want no part of this guy.

I honestly do believe Evans will return after 8 games, by the way.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Skins, how about bringing in Steve Martin. He should hold up well week 1. :lol:

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    :ph34r:
    I don't want Wilkinson!!! And I could care less if the Patsies get him.....he has never lived up to his #1 draft status since the Bungles drafted him. I feel good about or D-line.

I am quite surprised about the skins though....If they pick up any of those bears linemen it will still be a downgrade from Wilkinson....that move made zero sense. I said in a post yesterday that I am confident we will defeat the skins but without big daddy we will really eat up their line...damn what a dumb move. Think of this....there are really no quality d-line men out there that has been released and we will play the skins in a little over 5 weeks......that bodes well for us. ;)

TomShane
    [quote][i]Originally posted by YoungJetsFan[/i]@Jul 29 2003, 02:44 PM
    [b] This is an interesting strategy by Washington. There's no doubt about it that Wilkinson is not worth the 3.5 million that he was slated to make in 2003.

The Redskins have to hope for two things.

#1- That they get Wilkinson to return for less money.

#2- That The Bears let go of either Keith Traylor or Ted Washington and that they sign one of them.

If not, Then The Skins are going to have serious problems stopping the run this upcoming season. [/b][/quote]
    The Skins are definitely waiting on Traylor being dumped. How about the Jets being a little slick and vindictive here and trading a 7th rd. pick in 2008 for Traylor right now, and then waiting until the end of training camp to cut him just to stick it to Snyder.

HOO! HOO!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by TomShane+Jul 30 2003, 01:49 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (TomShane @ Jul 30 2003, 01:49 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--YoungJetsFan[/i]@Jul 29 2003, 02:44 PM
    [b] This is an interesting strategy by Washington. There&#39;s no doubt about it that Wilkinson is not worth the 3.5 million that he was slated to make in 2003.

The Redskins have to hope for two things.

#1- That they get Wilkinson to return for less money.

#2- That The Bears let go of either Keith Traylor or Ted Washington and that they sign one of them.

If not, Then The Skins are going to have serious problems stopping the run this upcoming season. [/b][/quote]
    The Skins are definitely waiting on Traylor being dumped. How about the Jets being a little slick and vindictive here and trading a 7th rd. pick in 2008 for Traylor right now, and then waiting until the end of training camp to cut him just to stick it to Snyder.

HOO&#33; HOO&#33; [/b][/quote]
    Wouldn&#39;t that be poetic justice T.S.? LMAO&#33;&#33;&#33; :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Dropping Wilkinson could sink Redskins

07/31/2003

The Cowboys took a big step toward closing the gap on the Washington Redskins in the NFC East this week with the release of defensive tackle Dan Wilkinson by the Redskins.

The NFL has embraced defensive tackles in recent years. There were six taken in the first round of the 2000 and 2002 drafts. These guys have become worth their weight in gold in a salary-cap world. Yet the Redskins put Wilkinson on the street because he would not accept a pay cut.

Both tackles are gone from a top-five defense of a year ago in Washington. Daryl Gardener signed a &#036;33 million contract in free agency with Denver, and Wilkinson is free to peddle his own wares. Thatís almost 650 pounds of bulk missing from the belly of this defense.

The best tackle on the Redskins is now Brandon Noble, a blue-collar plugger alongside Pro Bowler LaíRoi Glover in the Dallas defense a year ago. So Washington will not be as imposing up front.

Let us remind Redskins owner Dan Snyder that defense still wins championships. Maybe he should have diverted some of the &#036;35 million he paid wide receiver Laveranues Coles in free agency to keep Wilkinson. You donít know how much you need a defensive tackle until you donít have one.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    that&#39;s why DR is more valuable to us than La Turdius, now let&#39;s play the game dammit

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    From what I hear the skins are willing to pay him 1.5 a year. I dont think any other team will give him more than 1/2 that.

You cant blame Wilkenson he played his hand and came up a loser but he would have lost anyway. now it is just a matter of how much.

He is not a fit for the Jets, you guys are ok on the nose.
    Ahonatu is close to signing back will the Bills also.