Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OT: Baseball is a joke

[quote][i]Originally posted by Jet/BosoxFan[/i]@Jul 30 2003, 12:26 PM
    [b] Forget trying to change each other's views on this Buffboy...There is irrefutable evidence that NYY is in a "wealth" class unto themselves, then, a few stratospheres down are the Mets, Red Sox, Braves, Mariners, and a handful of others...there is social mobility in this class, the Phillies, Indians, and Dodgers and a handful of others can move in and out on a given year...then there exists the "poor" class, who have virtually no chance to compete...and it is an uphill struggle for the middle class as well. Just like in real life.

How can a Yankee fan or otherwise argue against this analysis? We have been over this AD NAUSEUM!!! Its almost as if we cover it once, twice, thrice, then NYY fans seem to revert back to square one and we have to cover it all over again again.

JUST FREAKIN' ADMIT IT...NYY buys rings. So freakin' what?!?! There is nothing illegal about this system created by fat george. He is perfectly within his rights to do so. Lets just not pretend that it is not ruining baseball. Also, lets not be TOO impressed by their recent run of championships. It is, however, OK to be impressed by the modern day sports monopoly that geore sits atop. From a business standpoint, his cutthroat mentality and undying greed has made alot of people rich...including several great players and some mediocre ones as well. [/b][/quote]
    I know that you've convinced yourself of this and that's fine. If it makes an adequate salve to heal the sting your heart must feel every year, by all means, go with it.

I'll continue to believe what I know to be true, and you continue to believe the fancy that makes you feel good and we'll both be fine.

BB

[quote][i]Originally posted by Rockaway Mike[/i]@Jul 30 2003, 01:40 PM
    [b] Half the teams? Right now, 8 or 9 of the 14 teams in the AL have a realistic shot at the post-season (depending on what you feel about the Angels.) And in the NL, 11 of the 16 teams are in the playoff hunt, and one that isnt (Mets) felt they had a chance coming into this season.

Does it suck that teams like Detroit and Milwaukee come in to each season with no shot? Yes. But is it MLB's fault, or the fault of the management of those franchises?

Can you tell me all 32 teams in the NFL right now have a shot at the playoffs? I won't even include the expansion team in Houston, but I'd like you to tell a football fan in Arizona, Detroit, Cincy, etc. that they have a shot at postseason glory this season.

As for the fire sales, do you prefer situations where guys are getting cut left and right because of salary cap reasons? Teams develop their younger players, then watch them leave 2 or 3 years later? Both sports have major problems, but yet I still watch them both. You dont want to, you dont have to. [/b][/quote]
    Define realistic? In the AL, the Sox, Yanks, Mariners and As are fighting over three spots. So 4 of the 14 teams are fighting for 75% of the slots.

The Royals, W.Sox and Twins are fighting over another spot. The rest have remote chances and that is if all the teams collapse. That means at least one team of the Sox, Yanks, As and Mariners will have a better record then the Central champion and miss the playoffs. Is that your definition of realisitc?

Max

What was the difference between the top payroll and the bottom payroll in 96? I am guessing it was not 180+ to 18 million. :rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

This is an old and tiring subject. Everything has already been covered before.I agree that it is a shame what has happened to Baseball.

Red Sox and Mets fans can not point to just The Yankees as the problem. Boston and The Mess are apart of the same system and benefit from it.

Baseball has become a game of haves and have nots. I actually pull for teams like The Royals and Marlins because they are small market teams who are competing with the big boys atleast for now.

There should be a spending limit and a salary cap floor that forces owners to spend no less than 50 million on their roster.

The more money, Teams like The Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, Dodgers etc make, The more money smaller market teams get. thats the way, the system is set up right now with the luxury tax etc

It's a system that is so screwed up right now and it can't be changed. It's a shame really. I wish there was something that could be done. Too many questions and not enough answers to take care of them.

The NFL is the greatest league in all of sports. There is balance and fairness. Everyone plays by the same rules and has the same capabilities.

I'd consider adding more playoff teams in Baseball. More playoff games and more money for teams overall because there would be more games of importance and value down the stretch. That's just one of the things that I would do. Once, you've added the wildcard, there's no turning back now.

I'd have 8 playoff teams in each league. 16 teams overall would make the playoffs and make more money. More TV money for baseball too. This and the salary cap floor would help the game grow a little. It won't solve all the problems but it would be a nice step up.

You gotta reward teams for winning and being competitive and not reward owners for losing and not making the commitment to winning.

Veteran
    [quote][i]Originally posted by 4HCrew[/i]@Jul 30 2003, 07:52 AM
    [b] Over the past 10 years major league baseball has become a joke...it is bad enough that only half of the teams have a chance to make it to the playoffs every year . [/b][/quote]
    I believe Basketball is worse, only 4-5 teams every year have a realistic chance, on top of that.

1. The Angels were 30 games out two years ago and won the World Series, comon who would have predicted them to make the playoffs.

2. The KC Royals are in First place

3. The Twins were in the ALCS

4. The Yanks went 18 years without winning a title

I can go on but I don't want to bore you, this thing about baseball being non-competitive is a joke.

I agree with one statement , they're are too many teams in all the Sports including Football.

[quote][i]Originally posted by HBJETFANBOB+Jul 30 2003, 06:41 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (HBJETFANBOB @ Jul 30 2003, 06:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--4HCrew[/i]@Jul 30 2003, 07:52 AM
    [b] Over the past 10 years major league baseball has become a joke...it is bad enough that only half of the teams have a chance to make it to the playoffs every year . [/b][/quote]
    I believe Basketball is worse, only 4-5 teams every year have a realistic chance, on top of that.

1. The Angels were 30 games out two years ago and won the World Series, comon who would have predicted them to make the playoffs.

2. The KC Royals are in First place

3. The Twins were in the ALCS

4. The Yanks went 18 years without winning a title

I can go on but I don&#39;t want to bore you, this thing about baseball being non-competitive is a joke.

I agree with one statement , they&#39;re are too many teams in all the Sports including Football. [/b][/quote]
    BBall - NBA is worse because it is next to imposible to build through the draft. What other sports has any player drafted have a better then average chance to suck.

1. Angels are an example of everything going right.

2. Royals are an example of everything going right and benefitting from the W.Sox and Twins underachieivng.

3. One shot one kill. That is what most of these teams have. The Twins benefit from being in a division where money doe snot matter as much.

4. Money did not matter as much then.

Look at it this way. In the American League you have the following competing for playoff spots right now

1) New York
    2) Boston
    3) K.C.
    4) Chicago
    5) Minnesota
    6) Seattle
    7) Oakland

In the National League right now you have the following teams
    1) Atlanta
    2) Philadelphia
    3) Florida
    4) Montreal
    5) Houston
    6) St.Louis
    7) Chicago
    8) San Francisco
    9) Colorado
    10) Arizona
    11) Los Angeles

All these teams COULD be in the post season. 7 of 14 in the AL and 11 of 16 in the NL. To me this is not bad. 8 teams in the NL are within 5 games of each other for the wild card.

I think alot of the problems is that the wild card takes out those great pennant races that we were all used to. (Yanks-Red Sox 78, Phils-Expos 80, Astros-Dodgers 80, Giants-Braves 93).

While more playoff teams may keep more teams in the race it has taken the great divisonal race and reduced it to nothing.

I don&#39;t know what everyone griping about. You are getting a great race in the East with the Yanks and Sox, a great story in K.C. with the Royals, The A&#39;s and Mariners fighting it out in the west and the NL right now has over 3/4 quarters of the league fighting for a playoff spot.

Wildcard is great for baseball...all these purist chumps like Bob Costas can go jerk it to their Mickey Mantle cards and wax poetic about the 1953 divisional race between the Giants and the Dodgers while everyone else is enjoying the races.

If it weren&#39;t for the wild card there would be zero interest in the 2nd half for about 6 NL teams. In the AL it will allow one out of the Yanks, Sox, M&#39;s, and A&#39;s to make the playoffs even if they don&#39;t win their division...which is good, becuase those are 4 of the best teams in baseball.

Why do people love the wild card in football, but not baseball?

Maxman
    [quote][i]Originally posted by PFSIKH[/i]@Jul 30 2003, 02:04 PM
    [b] Max

What was the difference between the top payroll and the bottom payroll in 96? I am guessing it was not 180+ to 18 million. :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
    That is my point...in years past top to bottom was real close. In the past few seasons top to bottom got real far apart.

The Yankees haven&#39;t won in a few years.

Money does not buy championships.

So &#036; has no bearing on a teams ability to win the World Series?

[quote][i]Originally posted by gmogmo[/i]@Jul 30 2003, 03:33 PM
    [b] So &#036; has no bearing on a teams ability to win the World Series? [/b][/quote]
    Did it last year ? Go see where the Angels were in payroll last year.

While your at it look at teams like Seattle, Oakland, Minnesota, San Francisco, K.C and see where they are in payroll ?

Sure money helps. It bought the Marlins in title in 97 but there are other ways to build teams that can not only compete but win the World Series.

I never said it was the end all and be all...if you can&#39;t admit that it increases your chances substantially I think your blind to reality though. (Not saying you feel this way)

[quote][i]Originally posted by gmogmo[/i]@Jul 30 2003, 03:53 PM
    [b] I never said it was the end all and be all...if you can&#39;t admit that it increases your chances substantially I think your blind to reality though. (Not saying you feel this way) [/b][/quote]
    Money is the greatest tool a franchise can use. It still isn&#39;t going to guarantee you a World Series.

You have 11 teams right now in contention for a playoff spot in the NL. What more can you ask for ?

For teams who refuse to even try like Tampa, Pittsburgh (absolute disgrace), Milwaukee, Detroit, your gonna have your Arizona, Cincy in the NFL and the Clippers, Hawks and others in the NBA that even with a salary cap don&#39;t even try to field a competitive team.

Teams like Minnesota, Oakland, K.C, Florida, this year have done great jobs. Seattle may have the best front office in baseball. How many teams can lose guys like A-Rod, trade Griffey and Randy Johnson because the feel they can&#39;t sign them and still be one of the best teams in baseball.

All those franchises that cry that they cannot afford to put a contender either

1) Won&#39;t put in the time to develop players
    2) Just don&#39;t care

DOLPHINWORSHIPPER2
    [quote][i]Originally posted by 4HCrew[/i]@Jul 30 2003, 11:52 AM
    [b] Over the past 10 years major league baseball has become a joke...it is bad enough that only half of the teams have a chance to make it to the playoffs every year but now the perennial fire sales before the trade deadline make it a complete joke. And this is coming from a Yankee fan.... why even have 30 something teams? why even print names on the back of jerseys... To me there needs to be some kind of controls where these fire sales cannot happen....let the gms earn their money by signing the right guys in the offseason...and guess what if you screw up...maybe another team will finally get a chance to win a la the KC Royals or Minny Twins...... I would love to know how there are still fans in Cincy,Pitt, Milwaukee.. this game has been destroyed..

I will continue to watch because I am a Yankee fan and they benefit the most along with Chi and Boston but to me the game is tarnished and once football is in full speed, I could care less.. [/b][/quote]
    I didn&#39;t have time to review the other replies to your post so if I&#39;m redundant, forgive me.

YOU HIT IT RIGHT ON THE HEAD. BASEBALL SUCKS&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;