Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What really makes one a great fan of a team....

DOLPHINWORSHIPPER2
    I was arguing with one of my brother in/laws recently over who is the bigger Dolphin fan, me or my wife's brother (another in/law). I naturally said it was me. After several solid points by myself he had to agree with me that I was the bigger and better fan.
    This brings up a point. What really makes one a better fan than the other? Is there such thing? You have the fools that say they're the biggest fan of a team because they know the teams' line-up and their history like the back of their hands.....but when I'm watching a game w/ folks like that and they're laughing and giggling as 'our' team is down 31-6 in the 4th qtr, I wanna strangle him!!! I don't think that makes a fan. I'll see someone who calls himself a Dolphin fan but I'll see him in Wal-Mart w/ a Rams Jersey on. That makes me wanna puke.
    I gotta tell you, I really respect someone who is a diehard Bengals, Lions, etc. fan. A true one. You'll see them once in a while at the bar in a corner watching their game alone, or with a couple fellow fans. You can tell they're genuinely upset or happy with the outcome.
    Anyway, I rambled on more than I planned to.
    For conversations sake, and I'm curious as to what others say (as I take my team seriously like most of you do) as to what makes a REAL fan.

When it takes you more then two hours to come down from game win or lose...your a fan.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

2 hrs???LOL over the last 39 years I've shot 3 TV's and
    ripped the Radio out of my Vette after listening to the
    Jet loss to the Raiders during the Heidi Game..I'm much
    better now though since I got older and off probation
    after the "Spike" game.... :blink: :P

Hall Of Fame
    DW2, I'd never try to define what a real fan is - they come in too many shapes and sizes. Bottom line, tho, is they stay loyal to their one team over the years. No bandwagoners need apply.

somebody that follows his team with as much passion in the Kotite/McPherson years as he does when his team competes.

What do you give up to devote the time and effort that you spend on being a fan?

I dont think it has anything to do with being positive about a teams chances or personnel.

It has nothing to do with jerseys, tickets or yelling at fans of other teams.

just my opinion

ever break up with a woman because she *****ed about you watching your team? i have. and it was a 6 1/2 year relationship. yeah i'm sick, i know it.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by patman[/i]@Jul 30 2003, 10:22 AM
    [b] somebody that follows his team with as much passion in the Kotite/McPherson years as he does when his team competes.

What do you give up to devote the time and effort that you spend on being a fan?

I dont think it has anything to do with being positive about a teams chances or personnel.

just my opinion [/b][/quote]
    You couldn't have said it any better than that.

I have no interest in yelling at Pats fans and am admittedly a cynic when it come to the Jets' chance - years of losing and bitter disappointment have hardened me. But I live and die with the Jets and watched every game of the Kotite years - even the firggin Vance Joseph covering Tim Brown game that was probably the low point of my sports fan career...although that horrible pass by Bubby Brister to give that expansion team it's first franchise win was awful too. Choking the playoff lead to Cleveland was tough, so was losing the 98 title game and Vinny's injury in 99. Wow...I need to stop listing this stuff....

All League
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by DOLPHINWORSHIPPER2[/i]@Jul 30 2003, 09:41 AM
    [b] they're laughing and giggling as 'our' team is down 31-6 in the 4th qtr [/b][/quote]
    Jets fans laugh and giggle when we're down that far to the Dolphins, because we know we're still going to win. :lol:

Veteran
    [quote][i]Originally posted by gscott[/i]@Jul 30 2003, 01:06 PM
    [b] ever break up with a woman because she *****ed about you watching your team? i have. and it was a 6 1/2 year relationship. yeah i'm sick, i know it. [/b][/quote]
    First game of the 98 season in San Fran, right after Cascadden missed the tackle on Hearst (and then 10 other Jets did also), I started screaming. My girlfriends parents were there along with parent of a few of her friends. She told me to quiet down. In a rage, I replied, " The Jets are going to be around a lot longer than you!" Turned out, I was right.

[quote][i]Originally posted by Lawyers, Guns and Money+Jul 30 2003, 01:22 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Lawyers, Guns and Money @ Jul 30 2003, 01:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--gscott[/i]@Jul 30 2003, 01:06 PM
    [b] ever break up with a woman because she *****ed about you watching your team? i have. and it was a 6 1/2 year relationship. yeah i&#39;m sick, i know it. [/b][/quote]
    First game of the 98 season in San Fran, right after Cascadden missed the tackle on Hearst (and then 10 other Jets did also), I started screaming. My girlfriends parents were there along with parent of a few of her friends. She told me to quiet down. In a rage, I replied, " The Jets are going to be around a lot longer than you&#33;" Turned out, I was right. [/b][/quote]
    some things you can be sure about.if she can&#39;t tolerate me and the jets, she ain&#39;t worth having.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Lawyers, Guns and Money+Jul 30 2003, 12:22 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Lawyers, Guns and Money @ Jul 30 2003, 12:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--gscott[/i]@Jul 30 2003, 01:06 PM
    [b] ever break up with a woman because she *****ed about you watching your team? i have. and it was a 6 1/2 year relationship. yeah i&#39;m sick, i know it. [/b][/quote]
    First game of the 98 season in San Fran, right after Cascadden missed the tackle on Hearst (and then 10 other Jets did also), I started screaming. My girlfriends parents were there along with parent of a few of her friends. She told me to quiet down. In a rage, I replied, " The Jets are going to be around a lot longer than you&#33;" Turned out, I was right. [/b][/quote]
    That&#39;s a great story. Women&#33;

All League
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Lawyers, Guns and Money[/i]@Jul 30 2003, 01:22 PM
    [b] . In a rage, I replied, " The Jets are going to be around a lot longer than you&#33;" Turned out, I was right. [/b][/quote]
    That&#39;s one of those self-fulfilling prophecies, I&#39;d say. Not much chance she was sticking around after THAT&#33;

Still, you&#39;re better off without her. Nicely done.

Veteran
    Flying from California to New York for the weekend just to see a Jets game, hey we&#39;ll through in a Yankee game or two for good measure.

[url]www.socaljetsans.com[/url]

DOLPHINWORSHIPPER2
    All great answers. I coudn&#39;t disagree with one reply. You are fans&#33;&#33;&#33; ...not that you needed my assurance..

to this day i still want to punch Dan Marino in his face for the "spike"....Every team has fans and so-so fans who proclaim themselves as the one and only fan,but if you love your team more than the players and the players as much as your family then you a true fan.

Jets Insider VIP
    [quote][i]Originally posted by patman[/i]@Jul 30 2003, 11:22 AM
    [b] somebody that follows his team with as much passion in the Kotite/McPherson years as he does when his team competes.

just my opinion [/b][/quote]
    Thats it &#33;

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Bob the Jets Fan™+Jul 30 2003, 01:17 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Bob the Jets Fan™ @ Jul 30 2003, 01:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--DOLPHINWORSHIPPER2[/i]@Jul 30 2003, 09:41 AM
    [b] they&#39;re laughing and giggling as &#39;our&#39; team is down 31-6 in the 4th qtr [/b][/quote]
    Jets fans laugh and giggle when we&#39;re down that far to the Dolphins, because we know we&#39;re still going to win. :lol: [/b][/quote]
    Haha.

I agree with a lot of your answers ladies and gents. It&#39;s sticking with a team through thick and thin, not riding a hot team&#39;s bandwagon when your team is in the toilet and running your mouth about how tough your team is when you really know they aren&#39;t that hot, case in point Patriots fans......just kidding guys.

It&#39;s staying true when the worst of the worst is in front of you wearing your colors on national TV. It&#39;s wearing your jersey in public when your team is 2-13 and Kotite is your coach. It&#39;s getting upset to the point you can&#39;t talk to anyone for the rest of the night when your team loses.

In the end, it&#39;s all about staying loyal to your team.

Now I would offer to you that having your team&#39;s logo tattooed on your arm might say it as well. :D Some call me dedicated, some call me an idiot. To each his own I guess.

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

What makes a great fan? (1) YOU THINK THE TEAM YEAR ROUND NOT JUST IN SEASON . (2)You count the days/minutes to the first game and even if you`ve had a great season cringe as the clock ticks zero cause you know you have to wait 2-3 months for the draft. (3) you go to the draft or a draft day party and you have all the draft books on who`ll make your team better. (4) you go to all the games even preseason weather your 15-1 or 1-15 you go,and you stay to the end weather you winning 30-0 or losing 30-0 (hopefully those days are gone forever) . (5) you go to the road games as many as economicly possible. or as many as your vaction time allows (6) you get "ALMOST" as much pleasure as wathching the other teams in you divison (example , dolfags, patsy`s , nils, ) lose as you get from your team winning. (6) what makes a great fan. is treating opponents of your team who choose to wear their teams colors in your house ,the same way you or your family would like to be treated if your were visiting another teams house. unfoutunetly this one gets forgotton a lot .

Veteran
    [quote][i]Originally posted by joiseyjet[/i]@Jul 30 2003, 05:33 PM
    [b] (6) what makes a great fan. is treating opponents of your team who choose to wear their teams colors in your house ,the same way you or your family would like to be treated if your were visiting another teams house. unfoutunetly this one gets forgotton a lot . [/b][/quote]

I enjoy ribbing and being ribbed, as long as it doesnt get out of hand. I cant tell you how many conversations Ive gotten into at games that started with trash talk. A little hostility makes it all the more fun&#33;

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Nothing wrong with you basic trash talk ,it`s when people turn into a&#036;&#036;hole drunks and start cussing at you & getting physical . a little trash talk is actually fun betwwen opposing teams