Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What really makes one a great fan of a team....

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would just like to say that first off, I love the Jets I have since I could understand football. My Dad made me a Jets fan because he is and he was born in New York. I remeber watching the fake spike game and how much that hurt, I was in Middle School and so many people let me have it for that one. I also can look at the good times like the games leading up to the AFC championship and of course last season and the Pennington parade. All these have been a huge part of my life.However if I had to choose between the Jets and my girlfriend who I intend to marry very soon, she wins big time. Luckily for me, she does not make me choose. She lets me have sundays for Nascar and the Jets. If she ever gives me the ultimatum though Im sorry, there are things more important then the Jets.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    sounds like you're pretty young. after your marriage ends then tell us that she wins over the jets. sorry but the truth hurts.already been down that road and the woman i ended it with was going to be number 2 for me.not going to make the same mistake twice so you gotta make sure it's right, and if you can't enjoy something you've been passionate about your whole life without hearing a bunch of grief then it isn't right.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    When we were planning our honeymoon in Aruba in a few weeks, I told her we had to return on Saturday instead of Sunday so we would be at the home opener against Miami.

She understood, completely.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's no true measure of who is a better fan than the other but I will say that if I see a jets fan who lives out of state sporting his colors, it's a damn good bet that he is a true fan.

No one can ever accuse jets fans of being bandwagon jumpers.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Bob the Jets Fan™[/i]@Jul 30 2003, 10:25 PM
    [b] When we were planning our honeymoon in Aruba in a few weeks, I told her we had to return on Saturday instead of Sunday so we would be at the home opener against Miami.

She understood, completely. [/b][/quote]
    I went to Aruba several years ago, it is one of the nicest places on earth. Just one SMALL HAPPY island.

I also told my wifey that I wasn't getting married during the season and that I would plan to have children (if we ever do) during the off season.

--------------------------------------

Its hard to define "being a fan". I work with maybe 200 people and about 190 call themselves "Pats Fans", but when I hear them complain about a loss...I can tell that they aren't HARCORE fans. Quotes like, "They sucked yesterday, why can't they score points? (shrugs)" all the while I am feeling like somebody died LOL.

IMHO, anyone on these boards qualifies as a HARDCORE fan. By being here, it means we are essentially 24/7/365/forever NFL fans.

I remember when I lived out in CA during the 1998 season, in September at the bar...there was a contigent of 25-30 Pats fans there every week and the Pats were always on the big screen. Fast forward to Week 17...the Pats were on 1 25" TV with just me seated at on a stool at a small cafe table rooting hard for the Pats to send off Carroll with a win against the Ravens.

Also, at work...people start talking to me about the Pats and I just can't help but to bombard them with tons of info that they walk away saying, "Jeez, that dude is INTO it". I am known as the most hard core Pats fan at work and everybody always gives me tickets they can't use.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    My wife scheduled my sons Baptism on a game against Miami.
    I rescheduled it for 2 weeks later on a bye week.

Everyone said that was crazy of me , but all my friends were high fiving me the day of the Baltism saying 'good move"..

Does that qualify me as a die hard???

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Funny story...my daughter's baptism was the day of the Pats @ Jets game during the Pats Super Bowl Season. If you remember correctly, the Pats had that 2nd half comeback vs Vinny and the Jets. Poor Jets5ever was getting torn to shreds as it became more and more evident the Jetsicles were going to choke away yet another game (he was the only Jets fan there) He took it like a man though....if I was him I would have punched our other bro-in-law in the face, he was getting right up in 5ever's grill like it was his job.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by gmogmo[/i]@Jul 31 2003, 08:21 AM
    [b] Funny story...my daughter's baptism was the day of the Pats @ Jets game during the Pats Super Bowl Season. If you remember correctly, the Pats had that 2nd half comeback vs Vinny and the Jets. Poor Jets5ever was getting torn to shreds as it became more and more evident the Jetsicles were going to choke away yet another game (he was the only Jets fan there) He took it like a man though....if I was him I would have punched our other bro-in-law in the face, he was getting right up in 5ever's grill like it was his job. [/b][/quote]
    That was awful - it was a huge game and the Jets were choking a lead and I couldn't freak out because family were all there dressed in their Sunday Best, etc. ...and they were all Pats fans too. Then, this waste of sh*t brother in-law of mine said right after the fourth down pass by Vinny fell incomplete "Hey, you can't be too happy about that, huh? Huh? Huh?" I wanted to punch that kid in his mouth.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever[/i]@Jul 31 2003, 11:25 AM
    [b] I wanted to punch that kid in his mouth. [/b][/quote]
    It was weird that instead you decided to give him a hand job on the back porch.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely agree that the test of a true fan is wearing the team colors when they're going bad. Which makes me gag when I see all the band wagon turds come out of the woodwork when it suits them, as I did during the '98 season, for example. You would have thought Chrebet and Vinny jerseys were being given away free, so many did I suddenly spot. I wished then that people would have to wear a tag identifying themselves as "Jets fan since..." Or, "I survived Kotite".

The other part I agree with is how hard we true fans take the losses. I was inconsolable after the Mud Bowl game of '82, and my girlfriend at the time offered to make me "feel better". First and only time in my life I ever turned down that kind of opportunity, such was my sickness over that game.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by gmogmo+Jul 31 2003, 08:33 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (gmogmo @ Jul 31 2003, 08:33 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--jets5ever[/i]@Jul 31 2003, 11:25 AM
    [b] I wanted to punch that kid in his mouth. [/b][/quote]
    I freeze bananas. [/b][/quote]
    Wow - that&#39;s odd....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    In a rage, I replied, " The Jets are going to be around a lot longer than you&#33;"

Thats the funniest line ive ever heard...

When the Jets were up on denver at the half and it looked like we were going to maybe reach a super bowl for real, my wife had her family over (older) in the living room. I was in the den, getting louder and louder.
    When Denver took the lead, I couldnt believe it was all unraveling. I was so pissed I punch the door to the den and my fist went clean through it (it is a hollow core door) I was in my own world, screaming and cursing like a drunken sailor. I punched, screamed like mad and walked past them all and went for a long walk.
    And yes, I was at EVERY home game with Kotite. The only good thing during that season was that at halftime, everyone was throwing dollars down the middle of the round gate, and we watched for some brave youngster(s) at the bottom to jump in and take the cash. Lots of spit and beer went from my body to their foreheads. What ever happened to that game????

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    A real fan is some one that has unconditional love for there team.......

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Joshua[/i]@Jul 30 2003, 07:35 PM
    [b] I would just like to say that first off, I love the Jets I have since I could understand football. My Dad made me a Jets fan because he is and he was born in New York. I remeber watching the fake spike game and how much that hurt, I was in Middle School and so many people let me have it for that one. I also can look at the good times like the games leading up to the AFC championship and of course last season and the Pennington parade. All these have been a huge part of my life.However if I had to choose between the Jets and my girlfriend who I intend to marry very soon, she wins big time. Luckily for me, she does not make me choose. She lets me have sundays for Nascar and the Jets. If she ever gives me the ultimatum though Im sorry, there are things more important then the Jets. [/b][/quote]
    Does your chic read this board???

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    When I met the woman who would eventually be my wife, I told her in no uncertain terms what football Sundays were all about for me, and that there was no compromise. We&#39;ve been married almost 15 years now, and she&#39;s never tried to mess with that. Occasionally, though, she&#39;ll see me in "football mode" and say "At least I knew what I was getting into."