Thread: OT: Advice needed from...

I am pondering a strategy. My league is pretty much standard scoring, but RB's are obviously at a premium. I am going into my draft with the strategy of taking RB's with my first 3 picks. Most of you know this as the "Faulk strategy". Now, I have also studied the Value Based draft system, which says to draft the player that is substantially higher than his relative peers. So for example, if Eric Moulds, who I rate as the #5 WR is available at my 3rd pick, and say the best RB available would be Kevan Barlow, who I rate as the #21 best RB, who would you take? I might be swayed to take Moulds, but my strategy would say take Barlow.

Now before you answer that let me give you a little history on my opponents draft tendencies. Last year, 4 QB's and 1 WR were taken in the 1st round out of 10 teams. The other 5 were all RB's. This is usually not common in most advanced leagues where 9 out of 10 most likely will be RB's. The 2nd round saw 7 RB's drafted and 1 QB and 2 WR's. Based on that trend, The 3rd round would offer the #13-23 ranked RB's. If that's the case again this year, I think drafting a RB with my 3rd is a no brainer. Especially if I have the #13-16 rated RB's available by the time my pick is up in the 3rd round.

This would give me a team that looks a little like this (I will use position rankings rather than names):

Starting

1 QB ranked #12-16
    3 RB's within the top 20 ranking, most likely a #3-5, #7-9, and a #13-23
    2 WR's 1 top 10, 1 #20-30
    TE-hoping for a #1-4 (planning on taking TE in round 7, might be wishful thinking)

I think having 3 very good RB's gives me leeway in case 1 gets hurt or has a bad season ala ATrain last year. I also plan on taking a chance on a 4th and 5th RB in rounds 14-16. I am hoping for maybe Onterio Smith, who is starting for M Bennett while he is out, Lamont Jordan, and Lamar Gordon, both backups for their respective starters.

I think this post is turning into more of an area for me to talk out my strategy to myself but feel free to chime in on your thoughts.

Bump: All you guys here and no help for a fellow FF owner??

Boozer;

I believe that RBs are at a premium, but if you get one or especially two solid ones then there is no doubt that you look for high value picks in other positions.

This also depend on your draft position....in other words LaDanian Tomlinson and Travis Henry are a lot better top pair of backs than than Tiki Barber and Stephen Davis. If you get a stud and a solid second tier guy, then I would strongly consider starting to fill your WR slots before taking the Marcel Shipps and Troy Hambricks.

BB

P.S. what # are you and how many teams in your league.

Your 1st 2 picks have to be RB's. QB's are fairly easy to obtain, also I think a TE in the 7th is early.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by The Sowell Train[/i]@Jul 30 2003, 02:34 PM
    [b] Your 1st 2 picks have to be RB's. QB's are fairly easy to obtain, also I think a TE in the 7th is early. [/b][/quote]
    TE at 7 is good if you are getting one of the big 2, Gonzo/Shockey they are the only ones worth getting that high and and average WR and one of those 2 TEs will be better than an above average WR and crap at TE

[quote][i]Originally posted by Mean Bro Green+Jul 30 2003, 02:40 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Mean Bro Green @ Jul 30 2003, 02:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--The Sowell Train[/i]@Jul 30 2003, 02:34 PM
    [b] Your 1st 2 picks have to be RB&#39;s. QB&#39;s are fairly easy to obtain, also I think a TE in the 7th is early. [/b][/quote]
    TE at 7 is good if you are getting one of the big 2, Gonzo/Shockey they are the only ones worth getting that high and and average WR and one of those 2 TEs will be better than an above average WR and crap at TE [/b][/quote]
    I was thinking TE at 7 for Shockey/Gonzo. You wouldn&#39;t consider Heap or Franks there as well??

[quote][i]Originally posted by Boozer76[/i]@Jul 30 2003, 06:17 PM
    [b] I was thinking TE at 7 for Shockey/Gonzo. You wouldn&#39;t consider Heap or Franks there as well?? [/b][/quote]
    I would easily consider Heap in the top 3 and wouldn&#39;t be surprised if he had a better year than either of the two&#33; Franks IMO is a step down from the top three.

For me I always go rb with the first 2 picks unless a Terrell Owens falls...the third pick is tough..could go with a big time wr or qb...would probably not go for another rb...my guess would be wr...qbs you can always get later..then around the 5th round I start looking at what rbs are available... to me tight ends are gravy and I wait until the later rounds for them