Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting a new Yankee rumor: Aaron Boone?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if the Boss was watching SportCenter this morning in Tampa. Anyway, the folks at ESPN were really talking up Reds All-Star 3B Aaron Boone. They showed his stats, and it seems he's got better speed and power than he gets credit for, despite his early season slump when he was inexplicably moved to 2B to make room the useless Brandon Larsen.

Anyway, with the recent firing of Bob Boone and the trade Scott Williamson to Boston, it appears Aaron has demanded a trade. Early favorites are said to be [b]Seattle[/b], to replace the woeful Jeff Cirillo, or [b]Los Angeles[/b] to take over for Adrian Beltre.

With Robin Ventura and Todd Zeile currently sharing the 3B slot in the Bronx, will Steinbrenner push Cashman to get involved with Boone? Let's face it, the Yankees have no viable minor league option at 3B for next few years, so Boone would be a longer term solutuon to the problem.

[b]P.S[/b]: Some Brian Giles info on where he wants to play (which doesn't include NY):[quote][b]Giles can veto a deal anywhere except [b]San Francisco, Colorado, Los Angeles, San Diego, Arizona[/b] and [b]Atlanta[/b]. By all accounts, he wants to go to his hometown of San Diego[/b][/quote]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Riggins44[/i]@Jul 30 2003, 11:22 AM
    [b] With Robin Ventura and Todd Zeile currently sharing the 3B slot in the Bronx, will Steinbrenner push Cashman to get involved with Boone? Let's face it, the Yankees have no viable minor league option at 3B for next few years, so Boone would be a longer term solutuon to the problem.
    [/b][/quote]
    What about Erick Almonte? I thought the talks were that they were grooming him to take over at third eventually. If I'm not mistaken, I believe 3rd base was his orginal position (?).

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    What's the deal with Henson....is he still shizznitting the bed in Columbus? He should just give it up and play football, who's with me?

TomShane
    Vlad Guerrero is a Yankee by the end of the week. You heard it here first.

Drew Henson should be somebody's #3 QB right now. It is all over for him in baseball (I believe, at last check, he was hitting .217)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by TomShane[/i]@Jul 30 2003, 11:52 AM
    [b] Vlad Guerrero is a Yankee by the end of the week. You heard it here first. [/b][/quote]
    Wishful thinking or are you going on some inside tip? Don't get me wrong, I would love this, however Soriano and Vlad on the same team seems unfair doesn't it? ;)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The problem with responding to TomShame is that you never know when he is kidding, which is more often than not I guess.

Anyway, just so the rest of you marks can rest assured...there is not a snowball's chance in hell that Vlad will play for NYY this year. The league wont let that happen. And they need relief pitching anyway...not another outfielder. In addition, Vlad (I just found this out on Baseball Tonight) still lives with his mommy and has said on the record that he is a "small town guy." What the hell makes any of you think he wants to play in NYC? Sounds like a recipe for disaster...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Jet/BosoxFan[/i]@Jul 30 2003, 12:01 PM
    [b] The problem with responding to TomShame is that you never know when he is kidding, which is more often than not I guess.

Anyway, just so the rest of you marks can rest assured...there is not a snowball's chance in hell that Vlad will play for NYY this year. The league wont let that happen. And they need relief pitching anyway...not another outfielder. In addition, Vlad (I just found this out on Baseball Tonight) still lives with his mommy and has said on the record that he is a "small town guy." What the hell makes any of you think he wants to play in NYC? Sounds like a recipe for disaster... [/b][/quote]
    Actually JetBoSox, while watching Baseball tonight I do remember hearing Peter Gammons say that the Yankees will probably make two more moves 1) pitching and 2) and outfield bat. While I do doubt that the Yankees can land Vlad, I do not doubt that they are looking for an additional outfielder. We'll see!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure about [b]Erik Almonte[/b], I always thought he was a shortstop. The Yankees drafted Eric Duncan #1 this June, but at 18, he's years away from the show. Anyhow, if an All-Star like [b]Aaron Boone[/b] is out there and available, I doubt the Boss would not be in favor of getting him.

One warning: Aaron is the son a former player/manager and that's been a tough deal for Yankees, as many of these types seem to shun the Yankees over negative dealings family members have had with Steinbrenner over the years.

[b]TS[/b] you make a good point about RF, but I agree with [b]Bosox[/b]: If mlb is looking to unload the Expos at a nice price, having a player like Vlad Guererro would be beneficial. Still, I doubt the Yankees dumped Mondesi for only David Dellucci (a 5th OF/ PH), so I do think that deal is just setting up another deal for a RF.

OF's available: [b]Brian Giles[/b] (wants to go to west coast); [b]Rondell White[/b] (excellent 2003 season); [b]Jose Guillen; J.D Drew; Geoff Jenkins[/b], ect.....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aaron Boone makes sense. He can be a fixture at 3B for a number of years. I believe he is arbitration eligible after this season, which almost would guarantee his departure from the Red.

Doesn't mean the Yankees get him though.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Miracle In The Meadowlands+Jul 30 2003, 01:05 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Miracle In The Meadowlands @ Jul 30 2003, 01:05 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Jet/BosoxFan[/i]@Jul 30 2003, 12:01 PM
    [b] The problem with responding to TomShame is that you never know when he is kidding, which is more often than not I guess.

Anyway, just so the rest of you marks can rest assured...there is not a snowball&#39;s chance in hell that Vlad will play for NYY this year. The league wont let that happen. And they need relief pitching anyway...not another outfielder. In addition, Vlad (I just found this out on Baseball Tonight) still lives with his mommy and has said on the record that he is a "small town guy." What the hell makes any of you think he wants to play in NYC? Sounds like a recipe for disaster... [/b][/quote]
    Actually JetBoSox, while watching Baseball tonight I do remember hearing Peter Gammons say that the Yankees will probably make two more moves 1) pitching and 2) and outfield bat. While I do doubt that the Yankees can land Vlad, I do not doubt that they are looking for an additional outfielder. We&#39;ll see&#33; [/b][/quote]
    I&#39;m not arguing that MIM...you and I actually agree on the fact that Vlad wont be wearing pinstripes...

I never said they wouldnt get another outfielder. I fully expect them to do so

Maxman
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Jet/BosoxFan[/i]@Jul 30 2003, 01:01 PM

Anyway, just so the rest of you marks can rest assured...there is not a snowball&#39;s chance in hell that Vlad will play for NYY this year. The league wont let that happen. And they need relief pitching anyway...not another outfielder. In addition, Vlad (I just found this out on Baseball Tonight) still lives with his mommy and has said on the record that he is a "small town guy." What the hell makes any of you think he wants to play in NYC? Sounds like a recipe for disaster... [/b][/quote]
    What is your point? Guys that still live with their parents are good people? Just misunderstood?

Please elaborate.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Jet/BosoxFan[/i]@Jul 30 2003, 01:01 PM

Yea his nickname is El Muto or sonething like that. He is a real quiet guy that keeps to himself. I would steer clear of him if I was the Yanks. Let the Mets make the mistake of signing him in the offseason.

GET BRIAN GILES&#33; The Yankees have been after him for years. Don&#39;t know what they would give up for him though.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pittsburgh wants Kendell included in any Giles deal. That&#39;s a big &#036;&#036;&#036;hit to swallow.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would probably pass on Guerrero right now. There is no question about his talent but he does have back problems and those don&#39;t seem to go away.

San Diego is looking to bring in a big player or two for next year when they move into their new ballpark so I think Giles and Kendall (who the Pirates are insisting any team interested in Giles must take as well) going to the Padres is a great fit.

While I would like the Yanks to solve their 3rd base problem, they had better just concentrate on solidifying their bullpen. As much as I hate the Blow Sox, Theo has done a great job in the past two weeks getting Sauerkraut and now Willamson who will be a great addition to the bullpen. The guy can start, long relieve or be a closer. My guess is that he will be the guy that Granny uses in the 7 and 8th to get to Kim.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    The Yankees can survive with the outfield situation that they have.

If they get Vlad now, I don&#39;t expect that. But if they do, Just cancel the season and award the world series trophy to The Yanks.

The Yanks could address third base but they are fine there too for now. Not a big Boone fan but it&#39;s a possibility.

The Yankees will get a big boost in their pitching staff if they can get Contreras back and healthy. The Yanks could use another reliever, a hard throwing lefty would be nice.

The Yankee team isn&#39;t perfect but what team is. They have enough horses to win it all. Once, Bernie and Nick Johnson get rolling, The offense will take significant steps forward.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by gmogmo[/i]@Jul 30 2003, 12:38 PM
    [b] What&#39;s the deal with Henson....is he still shizznitting the bed in Columbus? He should just give it up and play football, who&#39;s with me? [/b][/quote]
    playing in the outfield to make room for almonte

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Theo Epstein is doing great as the Sox&#39;s G.M.. Right now he is blowing the doors off of Cashman. What exactly has Cashman done? All he does is throw mucho money towards a guy as a free agent, I don&#39;t recall him ever pulling off a fantastic trade. He is overrated.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by TomShane[/i]@Jul 30 2003, 12:52 PM
    [b] Vlad Guerrero is a Yankee by the end of the week. You heard it here first.

Drew Henson should be somebody&#39;s #3 QB right now. It is all over for him in baseball (I believe, at last check, he was hitting .217) [/b][/quote]
    Hey i have wanted Vladimir since &#39;97 before we needed him his arm is better than mondesi and his bat is unreal........with that said if vlad comes to the yankees ill buy You a hooker tom shane,we know how you like em toothless with a bottle of gin and a bullwhip.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Maxman+Jul 30 2003, 01:35 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Maxman @ Jul 30 2003, 01:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Jet/BosoxFan[/i]@Jul 30 2003, 01:01 PM

What is your point? Guys that still live with their parents are good people? Just misunderstood?

Please elaborate. [/b][/quote]
    Geez...I thought it was pretty self explanatory...but I guess if it doesnt involve useless Yankee stats, Maxman just doesnt give a sh*t...

OK, if Vlad lives with his mom at this point in his life and loves to be in a small town atmosphere, what the hell makes you think he is going to want any part of NEW YORK CITY??? Sure, you will say "But if he does well here, there is no better place to play." Sometimes that isnt attractive to these guys. With such intense scrutiny from the media, the fans, and the maniacal owner...I wouldnt blame Vlady one iota if he leaves a &#036;100 million contract From NYY on the table this offseason and takes a little less to go play in some small market where he can be as "under the radar" as he wants to be.

Then of course the few remaining Yankee marks such as yourself that are left (after the inevitable NYY failure of 2003) will say: "he doesnt deserve to be a Yankee"

and everyone will be happy

TomShane
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Smizzy[/i]@Jul 30 2003, 04:14 PM
    [b]Hey i have wanted Vladimir since &#39;97 before we needed him his arm is better than mondesi and his bat is unreal........with that said if vlad comes to the yankees ill buy You a hooker tom shane,we know how you like em toothless with a bottle of gin and a bullwhip.[/b][/quote]
    Dude, just check her I.D. first. If you send me my sister again, I&#39;m going to puke.