Thread: The Glock;one week away

[url=http://www.nj.com/jets/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1059459010276300.xml]http://www.nj.com/jets/ledger/index.ssf?/b...59010276300.xml[/url]

Jets' McGlockton still a week away

Tuesday, July 29, 2003

BY COLIN STEPHENSON
    Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Chester McGlockton, the defensive tackle the Jets signed just before training camp, finally did some running yesterday and participated in a few noncontact drills with the team. Coach Herman Edwards said McGlockton may begin full practices with the team next week.

"I think, when we come back (from Japan) he'll put the pads on and start practicing," Edwards said at Hofstra.

McGlockton, 33, played last season with the Denver Broncos -- recording 63 tackles and two-and-a-half sacks in 15 starts -- but was released in February in a salary-cap move. An 11-year veteran, McGlockton had not been in any team's off-season conditioning program and had been contemplating retirement before the Jets called after losing Josh Evens to a drug-related suspension.

Listed at 6-4 and 334 pounds, McGlockton is believed to have weighed about 375 pounds when he was signed recently by the Jets. He has been working out on his own, twice a day, to try and get into some kind of playing shape.

Edwards hopes McGlockton, a four-time Pro Bowl player who is considered a run-stuffer, will be part of a three-man rotation at defensive tackle along with Jason Ferguson and first-round pick Dewayne Robertson. Edwards also expects McGlockton to be a mentor to Robertson, the fourth pick overall in the draft.

McGlockton will not make the trip today with the Jets to Tokyo to play in Saturday's preseason opener vs. the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He will remain behind to continue his conditioning work, but might see action in the Jets' second preseason game, Aug. 10 against the Bengals.

The only other player

not making the trip to Japan is LB Mark Brown, who injured his left hamstring during Saturday's mock game and will be out "for a couple weeks," according to Edwards. Brown, a rookie free agent from Auburn who was born in Paterson and raised in Tennessee, had been playing well enough to make an impression on the coaching staff before his injury.

Edwards said Ferguson,

who had 79 tackles and three sacks last season, is having his best training camp this year. Ferguson apparently has corrected a weakness he had last season, where he had a problem lining up with his left hand down in a three-point stance. He can line up comfortably both right- and left-handed now.

"Seven years (in the NFL), I didn't put my left hand down," Ferguson said. "In college, I put my right hand down on both (right and left tackle positions). You'd think it wasn't a big deal."

But in the off-season, Ferguson worked with his wife, Gina, in their backyard, lining up with his left hand down. He claims he has discovered in camp that it does make a difference in getting a quicker break on the ball.

Jon McGraw,

the second-year free safety who inherited the starting job when Damien Robinson was released in February, drew praise from Edwards for yelling at his teammates to tackle somebody in the morning session. Edwards, who has often compared McGraw to Tampa Bay's John Lynch, said he expects McGraw to eventually grow into one of the team's leaders.

McGraw thinks it's a little early to be talking about that.

"Right now, I really see myself as needing to step on the field and prove myself with my play," he said. "I've always been a big believer that before you can lead people verbally, you have to lead them by example. And I really feel like this is my time to step up and lead with my play."

QB Tory Woodbury,

who played 12 games the last two seasons -- mostly on special teams -- was the first cut of training camp, being waived at his own request, according to Edwards. Woodbury, a 6-2, 208-pounder who had made the Jets as a free agent in 2001, was switched to wide receiver last year and had actually started camp as a wideout this year before being switched back to QB last week.

"He said, 'I'm tired of playing football,'" Edwards said of Woodbury.

Woodbury -- who likely would have been released anyway, competing against Chad Pennington, Vinny Testaverde and rookie sixth-round pick Brooks Bollinger -- met with Edwards yesterday after the morning practice and asked to be released. Edwards told him not to make a hasty decision -- that he would likely have gotten playing time in preseason games as a quarterback and could have gotten himself on film, for other teams to see. But Woodbury was not dissuaded.

His departure leaves the Jets with four quarterbacks. Rookie free agent Marquel Blackwell is the other.

I guess Chester is getting the ol' weight down. If he's in pads next week, then he' sreally hustling to get in shape. Wonder what his [b][i]"real" [/i][/b] ideal playing weight is?

Veteran
    [quote][i]Originally posted by MiamiJet[/i]@Jul 30 2003, 01:31 PM
    [b]

Edwards said Ferguson,

who had 79 tackles and three sacks last season, is having his best training camp this year. Ferguson apparently has corrected a weakness he had last season, where he had a problem lining up with his left hand down in a three-point stance. He can line up comfortably both right- and left-handed now.

" [/b][/quote]
    YJF-if you read this thread-

That tackle # can't be right, can it?

All League
    I doubt think any lineman in the league had 79 tackles-Ferguson di not even play in all 16 games last year. I wonder where they are coming up with these stats for these articles.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Lawyers, Guns and Money+Jul 30 2003, 05:46 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Lawyers, Guns and Money @ Jul 30 2003, 05:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--MiamiJet[/i]@Jul 30 2003, 01:31 PM
    [b]

Edwards said Ferguson,

" [/b][/quote]
    YJF-if you read this thread-

That tackle # can&#39;t be right, can it? [/b][/quote]
    Good lord, I have no idea where these numbers are coming from. I&#39;ve done the research on this area. Through NFL.com and other sources. Taking into account solo and assisted tackles and i didn&#39;t see any DT with 79 tackles.

Veteran
    I guess when you&#39;re within 5 yards of a tackle, you get credit...

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

From NFL.Com....

Rebounded from a season lost to injury and started all 16 games at DT, totaling a career-best 79 tackles (30 solo), three sacks, and three PD for the year. Compiled five tackles in two playoff games. :o

Veteran
    At this past weekend scrimage, a Jets trainer told me Chester weight in over 385lbs. Judging by the way he looked, I wouldn&#39;t disagree. But 335, is way off. I hope his weight won&#39;t hinder his movement - which is big in our D scheme. Just ask evens?

Speaking of which, if we did get evens back, what are the Cap ramifications?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

It gets more confusing. These numbers are from NewYorkJets.com... The numbers are different everywhere you look this stuff up. For Ferguson to get 80 tackles, He&#39;d have to average 5 tackles a game. Which doesn&#39;t seem like much but is alot for a Defensive Lineman. D-Lineman get the least amount of tackles of all defensive players.

Player Tackles Assists Sacks INT Fum Rec

56 Sam Cowart 96 37 1.0 0 0
    55 Marvin Jones 85 35 0.0 1 2
    57 Mo Lewis 79 15 1.5 1 0
    21 Aaron Beasley 66 8 0.0 2 0
    42 Sam Garnes 61 15 0.5 2 1
    22 Damien Robinson 59 19 0.0 4 0
    94 John Abraham 55 17 12.0 0 0
    29 Donnie Abraham 49 6 0.0 4 0
    72 Jason Ferguson 44 24 3.0 0 0
    Josh Evans 41 7 6.0 0 2

Few sites will have the same exact numbers. Teams record tackle stats, and some consider assisted tackles, etc, while others do not....It is inexact at best.