Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Cecil Moore and Ian Smart.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets report: Notes, quotes, anecdotes
    July 28, 2003

Inside slant | Strategy and personnel

--Free agent rookie receiver Cecil Moore got some extra reps last Wednesday because Kevin Swayne missed practice to be with his wife Jamie for the birth of their second child. Moore, a three-year starter at East Tennessee State with 19 career touchdowns, made the most of his time by making another sensational camp in practice, hauling in a 40-yarder from Vinny Testaverde.
    "I'm just going to get in and do the best that I can," Moore said. "Hopefully by me going out and producing, and preseason games will be a big thing for me, it will allow me to earn a spot." Moore probably won't displace Swayne, but is a candidate for the fifth receiver spot or even the practice squad. He was a punt returner in college but hasn't worked at that role yet in training camp.

--Running back/kick returner Ian Smart, who totaled 95 touchdowns during his career at Division II C.W. Post, has been getting rave reviews from his teammates and coaches and is even something of a dark horse to make the Jets as a rookie free agent. But he certainly didn't help himself out last week when he dropped an easy short pass with no one covering him. Smart, however, has shown the kind of athleticism and work ethic Edwards and his staff like. Later in the week, Smart had a 40-yard kickoff return.

--The Jets held a 70-play, 90-minute mock game at the end of last week.

--The NFL always wanted the New York Giants to make one of its international preseason trips, only then coach Bill Parcells always refused. When the Jets got the call this year for a preseason game in Japan against Tampa Bay, general manager Terry Bradway jumped at the chance.

"That's an honor, it is," said Bradway, who made the trip to Tokyo while working for the Kansas City Chiefs in 1998. "We're proving to be a good football team and they want is to represent the league and New York, we're happy to do it."

The biggest fear is that the break in routine will hurt the Jets' chances for avoiding a slow start Bradway doesn't think it's an issue and hasn't heard anything from the players. The Jets will have 13 full team practices and two special team practices.

"With as much time as we spend in the off-season, it probably hurts less than they did a while back. Well take it and well enjoy it."

--Right guard Tom Nutten was getting reps at center last week and starting nose tackle Jason Ferguson was working with both the first- and second-team defense. In Ferguson's case, coach Herman Edwards said it was for extra conditioning.

--After upping his regimen to two workouts a day, defensive tackle Chester McGlockton may make his practice debut with the Jets this week. McGlockton, who didn't participate in any off-season conditioning programs after being cut by Denver early in the year, reported to camp about 30 pounds heavier than his listed weight of 334.

"I'm going to get myself ready to play by the first game," said McGlockton, who turns 34 in September. "They have a great coach and great trainers here and I'll just be doing whatever program they want me to."

QUOTE TO NOTE
    "I showed them the history since (linebacker) Mo Lewis got here (1991). How many guys are left on the team? I went every year. I said, 'That's the history of pro football. So don't get alarmed, guys. It happens."' - coach Herman Edwards trying to comfort the Jets players after concerns that all the players lost during the off-season would derail their championship hopes.

I really like everything I've heard about Cecil Moore, I hope he gets a shot. He could really be the sleeper of the UDRFA's, he sounds like he has what it takes. B)

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Testaverde loves working with big wideouts and it seems like he has a nice little chemistry early on with Cecil Moore.

Vinny from all reports looks great. He has one of the best arms in the entire league. He's such a big and strong QB. He hasn't adapted to the west coast scheme well and he's gotten slower in the pocket but he's a great backup to have because of the experience that he has. You wouldn't have to worry about throwing the deep ball with Vinny. I think, he's great insurance for Pennington if anything were to happen.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cecil makes the team, Smart does not (though could be on the practice squad).

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    smart will be picked up by someone if he lands on the PS

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd like to see Carter and McGeoghan (6 ft 3, 220) fill the #4 and #5 WR slots. Moore sounds good too. Love to see Swayne out of there, but for some reason I think the Jets will stay with Swayne taking one of those spots. Chad Pennington mentioned his name in an interview with MSG. He said something like the Jets WR corps it better than the one last year. He mentioned Conway, Moss, Chrebet, and Swayne ([url]www.msgnetwork.com[/url]). Does this impact whether Swayne makes the team or not? Probably not. At least, I hope not (not a fan of Swayne).

As for Smart ... I'd love for the local guy to make the team as A KR. But it sounds as though the faster Albert Johnson may get the job (the team with 6 WRs?) We'll see. It's getting exciting. Football!!! is almost here!!! (my poor wife).

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can't see how Moore makes it. The Jets will probably carry five wideouts with Moss, Conway and Chrebet as locks. I would think that Albert Johnson has a great chance at one spot. That leaves Swayne, Carter and Moore battling for one spot. I think if Smart and Moore are cut, they will be available for the practice squad. Rosters are so tight that I can't see a team grabbing a developmental player who has not been in their camp and holding him all season. Now if they make it to the practice squad, I could see them getting picked off during the year, but by then injuries may allow us to transfer guys to the active squad.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by stonehands[/i]@Jul 30 2003, 04:26 PM
    [b] I can't see how Moore makes it. The Jets will probably carry five wideouts with Moss, Conway and Chrebet as locks. I would think that Albert Johnson has a great chance at one spot. That leaves Swayne, Carter and Moore battling for one spot. I think if Smart and Moore are cut, they will be available for the practice squad. Rosters are so tight that I can't see a team grabbing a developmental player who has not been in their camp and holding him all season. Now if they make it to the practice squad, I could see they getting picked off during the year, but by then injuries may allow us to transfer guys to the active squad. [/b][/quote]
    I know what you're saying. Cecil Moore sounds like he has loads of potential, I'd hate to lose him to another team.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I predict that we keep Moore but cut Smart, hope he clears waivers, then place him on the Practice Squad.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have been touting Moore since he signed with the team. He could be a great fit. His skills fit the WCO real well. With that said I think he hurt his chance of making the team on the last ST practice. He muffed 3 punts in a row, and Westhoff yelled at the assistants "Get that idiot out of here". Not a good thing

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by FlaGreen[/i]@Jul 30 2003, 05:10 PM
    [b] I have been touting Moore since he signed with the team. He could be a great fit. His skills fit the WCO real well. With that said I think he hurt his chance of making the team on the last ST practice. He muffed 3 punts in a row, and Westhoff yelled at the assistants "Get that idiot out of here". Not a good thing [/b][/quote]
    I never heard anythig about that. Everything I've seen and heard about him has been very upbeat and positive. When did this happen?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I remember the article correctly it was Ian Smart that kept muffing punts, not Cecil Moore.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Chase[/i]@Jul 30 2003, 07:15 PM
    [b] If I remember the article correctly it was Ian Smart that kept muffing punts, not Cecil Moore. [/b][/quote]
    That I remember reading about but haven't seen anything at all negative about Cecil Moore.