Thread: Saints pick up Tory Woodbury

Veteran
    [url=http://www.nola.com/saints/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1059549973262870.xml]http://www.nola.com/saints/t-p/index.ssf?/...49973262870.xml[/url]

good luck in N.O.....you didnt do sheet here but good luck anyway.

He was a good guy and i cant say it was lack of effort on his part.....just talent ;)

I thought he said he was just sick of playing ball? or maybe that was a defense mechanism.....

Hall Of Fame
    good for him, i'm glad he gets another chance

All Pro
    I am happy for TORY hope he makes it with the Saints!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    He better make the most of it.

Bitter
    How is it that this guy is a bum and you are still wishing him luck but when Frost left, all you ever did was talk trash on him? From the sounds of it, it was pretty much the same situation. :unsure:

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by dickkotite[/i]@Jul 30 2003, 04:24 PM
    [b] I thought he said he was just sick of playing ball? or maybe that was a defense mechanism..... [/b][/quote]
    His agent bashed the Jets today.

Agent: Woodbury got shaft

By RICH CIMINI and JULIAN GARCIA
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITERS

Tory Woodbury, the former Jets quarterback/wide receiver who was released Monday, was "jerked around" by the team, his agent said yesterday.
    "They jerked him around," said Brian Levy, Woodbury's agent. "He's a very talented and enthusiastic kid and they sucked the enthusiasm out of him."

Woodbury was signed as a rookie free agent out of Winston-Salem in 2001. Though Woodbury played quarterback in college, Herman Edwards turned him into a wide receiver. He often looked good catching passes on the scout team during practice and also played on special teams.

But last week, Edwards said Woodbury would only play quarterback in the future because he had been getting hurt too much running routes. So as a fourth-string quarterback who played no other position, Woodbury's value to the Jets plummeted.

Then after Monday's morning practice, the Jets put out a statement saying they had released Woodbury. But following the afternoon practice, Edwards said Woodbury requested his release and made it sound as if Woodbury was thinking about walking away from the game altogether.

Edwards said Woodbury had told him "his heart wasn't into playing football."

While admitting that Woodbury did request his release, Levy said Woodbury did so only because he wasn't getting enough repetitions in practice. He insisted Woodbury is interested in signing with another team.

"If he said that (Woodbury doesn't want to play), that's irresponsible on the part of Herman Edwards," Levy said. "He makes it seem like Tory is putting in his retirement papers. That couldn't be further from the truth."

Edwards was not available for comment yesterday because the Jets were flying to Japan for Saturday's preseason game against the Buccaneers.

Hall Of Fame
    Just think. If an errant missle strikes a QB meeting at Saints Training camp, Woodbury might have a chance to play QB....until the Saints FO can sign a free agent. COngrats Troy, you're really moving up after being, 'cheated', by the Jets.

Is he going to get a chance behind Brooks?

I think not. Special teams all the way.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

[quote][i]Originally posted by mbn007[/i]@Jul 30 2003, 06:21 PM
    [b] Is he going to get a chance behind Brooks?

I think not. Special teams all the way. [/b][/quote]
    He's got to make those lease payments for his Hummer somehow! :P

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Limolady+Jul 30 2003, 05:33 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Limolady @ Jul 30 2003, 05:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--mbn007[/i]@Jul 30 2003, 06:21 PM
    [b] Is he going to get a chance behind Brooks?

I think not. Special teams all the way. [/b][/quote]
    He&#39;s got to make those lease payments for his Hummer somehow&#33; :P [/b][/quote]
    The truth hurts. Ouch&#33;

Woodbury is total garbage. He sucks at football, and yet still refuses to sign autographs. The playmaker liscense plate on his H2 with 24&#39;s is what really makes me despise him. Never seen a scout player refuse autographs.Unheard of.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

[quote][i]Originally posted by JETWEINA[/i]@Jul 30 2003, 06:45 PM
    [b] Woodbury is total garbage. He sucks at football, and yet still refuses to sign autographs. The playmaker liscense plate on his H2 with 24&#39;s is what really makes me despise him. Never seen a scout player refuse autographs.Unheard of. [/b][/quote]
    How about a rookie that refuses to sign autographs? :huh:

I promised a "certain moderator" on this board that I would not bad mouth this guy but I found it a bit nervy on the part of B.J. Askew to refuse fans requests for autographs. <_<

It may have been hot and humid that day, but we were out there all day - for both practices in the heat while he got to go back in the air conditioned comfort of the locker room and cafeteria. <_<

Jets Insider VIP
    JI Staff Photographer

These guys who don&#39;t sign forget that we (thru the Jets) pay a good part of their salary, and that they are just one knee injury away from never having anyone care about their autograph again&#33;

Practice Squad
    Yeah, these players that don&#39;t sign are pieces of crap&#33; They have to remember without us, there&#39;s no NFL&#33; On the bright side-some of they big name guys i&#39;ve seen consistently signing autographs in the past: Vinny, Marvin Jones, Mo Lewis, Chad, Vinny, Abe, Curtis, Big Ted Cottrell, Becht. In the far past, some of the most courteous I saw were: Aaron Glenn, Ken O&#39;brien, Al Toon, Dennis Byrd(would sign for an hour after games in the parking lot&#33;), and Victor Green. With these guys signing, it really irks me that Askew was snubbing people. Who does he think he is&#33;