Thread: Rangers Re Sign Leetch

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Wasn't sure if this was posted.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to see Leetch re-sign with the Rangers. I'm not a Ranger a fan, but I like the idea of superstars spending there whole career with one team. Whether it was a wise choice on Leetch's part, remains to be seen, as the Rangers playoff drought looks like it will continue.

I know a lot Ranger fans would love to see managment tear the team down and start rebuilding. However, every team needs a veteran prescence and Leetch is ideal. Not only is he good off the ice, he terrific on it. Leetch, when healthy, still has the skills of an All-Star blueliner, particularly offensively. Plus, after such a long post season abscence, I'm not sure fans will be to happy with a rebuilding team.

[url=http://www.newyorkrangers.com/pressbox/pressreleases.asp?id=946]http://www.newyorkrangers.com/pressbox/pre...ases.asp?id=946[/url]

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone know what kind of draft pick the Oilers got for Leetch? Word here is that Messier might sign with the Oil and end his career here. Has that one made it all the way back there yet? :blink:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by CanadaJet[/i]@Jul 30 2003, 06:16 PM
    [b] Anyone know what kind of draft pick the Oilers got for Leetch? Word here is that Messier might sign with the Oil and end his career here. Has that one made it all the way back there yet? :blink: [/b][/quote]
    [b]CJ[/b], I think the Oilers will pick up a second rounder, perhaps 3rd, but that's an educated guess on my part. The Predators, I believe, got a #2 in the Richter thing a few years ago, plus the Rangers got a 4th down the line and a goalie from Edmonton, so logically I think a 2 or 3 would make sense.

Saw the Messier story on the Net, via the Edmonton Journal, but I'm not sure it's hit media here. I think the feeling among most Rangers fans (I'm not a Ranger fan BTY) is they'd like to see Messier leave. I think most would love to see management start rebuilding the team and feel Messier is a drag on the whole rebuilding process. I, actually, disagree, as I still see Messier as an effective player and a solid leader with a terrific work ethic.

People forget one important thing: The Rangers may be perennial Stanley Cup contenders in the off-season, but Edmonton is a team that actually does make the playoffs most years.

Mess wants to win a Cup and Edmonton is a long shot. However, who's a bigger longshot than the Rangers, based on recent history? :blink:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Messier would really like to go out winning a cup with the Rangers, IMO. The Rangers ARE my team and have been forever, so their struggles I am quite familiar with. I'm glad Leetch came back into the fold, that's good news. I'm not sure about the fans not wanting Mess here, but Sheesh, what is Mess now, like 42, 43?? The Rangers probably do need to rebuild, go with younger players, and most importantly, they need a coach. One who make all of them check their egos at the door. They need a Bill Parcell's type coach in Rangerland. What do you think? ;)

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rigs,
    I guess it's safe to say the Moose is done winning cups if he either stays with the Rangers or goes to the Oil. He could help the young Oilers make a decent run though which is what I'd like to see a la Carolina Hurricanes and Anaheim Ducks.

Ya never know... ;)

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    El, good point but who's out there? Maybe a young guy like Laviolette would be a good fit? :unsure:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't understand why they didn't take a look at him [Laviolette], or did they? Was he interested in the job? Did you hear anything? :blink:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Men, I thought that Glen Sather already made his choice for Rangers coach: [b]Glen Sather[/b] :o

Yea, Leetch's career sucks for a former Whalers fan. In 1986, the Whale had their best season ever and were dubbed by many the [b][i]"NHL's up and coming team"[/i][/b]. From what I heard, that summer they were willing to do anything and everything to draft Leetch and keep him home in the state of CT. Heck, Leetch grew up a Whalers fan and him and his family all wanted him to be drafted by the team.

Anyway, Phil Esposito, according to legend, did nothing but bad mouth Leetch prior to the 1986 draft, while pumping up Jocelyn Lemieux. Because of that, former Whalers GM Emile Francis decided he didn't have to move up to keep Leetch home......

I guess Espo lied :o :blink:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Riggins44[/i]@Jul 30 2003, 07:15 PM
    [b] Men, I thought that Glen Sather already made his choice for Rangers coach: [b]Glen Sather[/b] :o

Yea, Leetch's career sucks for a former Whalers fan. In 1986, the Whale had their best season ever and were dubbed by many the [b][i]"NHL's up and coming team"[/i][/b]. From what I heard, that summer they were willing to do anything and everything to draft Leetch and keep him home in the state of CT. Heck, Leetch grew up a Whalers fan and him and his family all wanted him to be drafted by the team.

Anyway, Phil Esposito, according to legend, did nothing but bad mouth Leetch prior to the 1986 draft, while pumping up Jocelyn Lemieux. Because of that, former Whalers GM Emile Francis decided he didn't have to move up to keep Leetch home......

I guess Espo lied :o :blink: [/b][/quote]
    I wasn't aware of the Espo 'thing'. I do realize that Sather made himself coach again too. I was just wondering if 'Slats' took a look at Laviolette. Thanks for all the info tho' :unsure:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [b]el_dub80[/b], I was a bit suprised Slats would name himself, but I guess he wnted to be more hands on. I think he actually toyed with idea of Herb Brooks and tried to talk to Scotty Bowman, but I'm not sure about Laviolette.

Yes, most Whalers fans cringe when that Leetch story is brought up, but it is true. I give Espo a lot of credit, as he was really skewered by the NY media and many fans, but the Rangers [b]really drafted well in his time in NY[/b]. Because of all those great drafts, Smith and Keenan were able to construct that 1994 team (draft picks and traded draft picks).

If you look at the Rangers draft history since Espo left, you'll see why they are such sad shape, despite all the cash.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Riggins44[/i]@Jul 30 2003, 07:36 PM
    [b] [b]el_dub80[/b], I was a bit suprised Slats would name himself, but I guess he wnted to be more hands on. I think he actually toyed with idea of Herb Brooks and tried to talk to Scotty Bowman, but I'm not sure about Laviolette.

Yes, most Whalers fans cringe when that Leetch story is brought up, but it is true. I give Espo a lot of credit, as he was really skewered by the NY media and many fans, but the Rangers [b]really drafted well in his time in NY[/b]. Because of all those great drafts, Smith and Keenan were able to construct that 1994 team (draft picks and traded draft picks).

If you look at the Rangers draft history since Espo left, you'll see why they are such sad shape, despite all the cash. [/b][/quote]
    Man, I wish there was a quick fix for this team, unfortunately...there probably is not. It's tough being a fan of NY teams isn't it? :unsure:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think we all saw the real Espo "builder" in Tampa. Put a tent on THAT circus... I think Slats&#39; time is running out and he didn&#39;t want another "expirement". The guy hasn&#39;t done a thing in a decade... <_<

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [b]CJ[/b], I said Espo had a nice drafting record in NY, not a good winning percentage :lol:

Actually, the [b][i]"circus atmosphere"[/i][/b] did get pretty bad down in Tampa, particularly with the [b]Mannon Rheaume[/b] thing in goal. Still, I think the Lightning made the playoffs in their first 3 years or so, plus that was just a tough place to sell tickets. Espo had to do what he could to generate revenue for that expansion team.

[b]el_dub80[/b], no quick fixes. But I suppose Ranger fans have some hope in form of Glen Sather :o :unsure:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Riggins44[/i]@Jul 30 2003, 07:53 PM
    [b] [b]CJ[/b], I said Espo had a nice drafting record in NY, not a good winning percentage :lol:

Actually, the [b][i]"circus atmosphere"[/i][/b] did get pretty bad down in Tampa, particularly with the [b]Mannon Rheaume[/b] thing in goal. Still, I think the Lightning made the playoffs in their first 3 years or so, plus that was just a tough place to sell tickets. Espo had to do what he could to generate revenue for that expansion team.

[b]el_dub80[/b], no quick fixes. But I suppose Ranger fans have some hope in form of Glen Sather :o :unsure: [/b][/quote]
    Sather has no excuses this year, either he gets it done...or he is DONE ;)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER[/i]@Jul 30 2003, 05:22 PM
    [b] Wasn&#39;t sure if this was posted. [/b][/quote]
    [color=red][font=Arial][b]WHO CARES THE RANGERS FOR 7 STRAIGHT YEAR WOULD NOT MAKE THE PLAYOFF GO STANLEY CUP CHAMIONS NEW JERSEY DEVILS [/b][/font][/color] :P

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, go Devils :unsure: Honestly...they EARNED it ;)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    from FOXJET
    WHO CARES THE RANGERS FOR 7 STRAIGHT YEAR WOULD NOT MAKE THE PLAYOFF GO STANLEY CUP CHAMIONS NEW JERSEY DEVILS

CHAMIONS

just like the devils right FOXJET

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I always knew Brian Leetch was a first class guy.
    Signing with The Rangers for the next 2 years should hopefully result in him in finishing his career as a Ranger.
    In today&#39;s era of sports how often does that happen in any sport to play your whole career for one team.
    I am glad that someone shows some loyalty to an organization-to even take a pay cut of a couple of million a year.