Thread: A bit of info that was lost amongst the Coles/WAS

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I touched on this in another thread and figured I'd post it in a new topic for your thoughts. How do you think Rod Gardner feels about the Skins going and paying Coles all this ridiculous money?? Gardner was clearly in line to be their number 1 receiver and most likely was set to have a breakout year. He is entering only his 3rd year in the NFL. He is 25 yrs old and 6'2" tall. I'm not sure of his 40 time but I'm sure it is good. His stats for just his 2nd year in the NFL were:

REC YDS AVG LNG TD ATT YDS AVG LNG TD FUM LST
    71 1006 14.2 43 8 1 1 1.0 1 0 1 0

That is a damn good year for a receiver in only his 2nd season. Add in the fact that he was playing with an inept trio of QB's, and it looks pretty outstanding. Now he clearly will be demoted to the #2 WR role with the addition of Coles. Not due to his talent being inferior to Coles, but to the fact that WAS will devise the majority of the plays for Coles to justify that contract. That being said, I think Gardner's gonna be pissed by the end of the year if he isn't already. He will not post great stats this year simply due to the fact that he will not be involved in enough plays to do so. If he makes enough of a stink to weasel his way out of WAS by next year, this is a guy we really should remember. He would instanly become the bona-fide #1 receiver we have been waiting for since the departure of Keyshawn.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wouldn't that piss the Skins off !! They take Coles for an absurd amount of $$$ and then in a year or two we take Rod for not that much. And then he procedes to tear up Coles' stats.

I love it!!

TomShane
    You're wrong on one thing, Booz. Coles was paid 13 mil to go and be the #2 receiver. Kinda makes all the hullabaloo look sort of silly now, doesn't it?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gardner signed a 5 year contract. 2006 is the year of reckoning for Washington not before. In the fun-n-gun there is no reason that Gardner cannot continue to put up those #s. He works the middle of the field, he has nice size and is productive. He will be a very rich man in 2006

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by TomShane[/i]@Jul 31 2003, 03:04 AM
    [b] You're wrong on one thing, Booz. Coles was paid 13 mil to go and be the #2 receiver. Kinda makes all the hullabaloo look sort of silly now, doesn't it? [/b][/quote]
    I have a real hard time believing that. If Snyder paid that kind of money to a guy they expect to be there #2 receiver, then it is absolutlely the dumbest move in terms of football contracts in the history of the sport.

Patman:

I appreciate the contract info. I wasn't sure where to find it. As far as him getting the #'s in the fun and gun offense, that's gonna be tough with a young QB like Ramsey. I think they're gonna have to devise alot of plays to one receiver that Ramsey can get comfy with, kind of like Pennington and Coles last year. Question is which one will it be??

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've heard alot of hosts on the radio that seem to think that Gardener will get most of the passes this season. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. Remember, the guys who are called #1 don't get the ball because they are #1, but because the guy thats opened gets the ball.
    Most #1 receivers play on the weakside. Chrebet was our #1 for awhile and he never even played the weakside. I guess the point is that, in most plays there are the #1 and #2 guys on the field, either one of them has the chance to make more catches. Coles did this last year to Chebet even though Coles started the year as the #2 man.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by persiussa[/i]@Jul 31 2003, 09:37 AM
    [b] I've heard alot of hosts on the radio that seem to think that Gardener will get most of the passes this season. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. Remember, the guys who are called #1 don't get the ball because they are #1, but because the guy thats opened gets the ball.
    Most #1 receivers play on the weakside. Chrebet was our #1 for awhile and he never even played the weakside. I guess the point is that, in most plays there are the #1 and #2 guys on the field, either one of them has the chance to make more catches. Coles did this last year to Chebet even though Coles started the year as the #2 man. [/b][/quote]
    Coles started the year as the #2 with Vinny as QB. Once Chad was in, Coles immediately was upgraded to #1 simply for the fact that Chad was comfortable with Coles. There was an article in the Star ledger last week regarding Chrebet and Hackett's relationship. In it, Hackett was quoted as saying "we devised alot of plays to Coles simply for the fact that Chad was more familiar with Coles". This helped make Chad's transition easier rather than have him just look for the open guy, they devised plays that would get Coles open.

Persiussa, I don't think NFL football is as easy as 3 guys go out and I'll throw to who is open. The play is devised with a receiver in mind, if he is not open, then they check off to the next guy. My point is, how can they justify having Gardner be the #1 outlet on the majority of plays and then go to Coles if Gardner is covered?? I think it will be the opposite. They will devise the plays to make sure Coles gets over 1000 yds to justify the contract. They have to.

And for those of you who think it could be like a Moulds/Price situation last year, your out of your mind. There is a huge difference between Bledsoe, who has the ability to find the open receiver, and Ramsey, who has yet to adjust to the NFL. Plays will be devised to take the majority of thinking away from Ramsey. There will be alot of timing patterns where Ramsey drops back 3-5 steps and dumps to a designated receiver. IMO, that receiver will be Coles.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bottom line is WAS was out of there minds to pick up Coles at that price or really even at a cheaper price when you consider they lost a draft pick. They could just as easily have gotten Conway who would have been an excellent compliment to Gardner and helped him develpoe. They would have done tis at a much cheaper price and kept the draft pick which, IMO, they really needed.

I think this deal will go down as one of the worst FO moves in the NFL for WAS.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    ROd Gardiner just isn't the type of reciever that Spurrier prefers - Steve likes smallish shifty quick guys with gamebreaker speed - Rod Gardiner is a large, somewhat slower possession type - in short he's a perfect fit for the WCO in the fun and gun he's a square peg in a round hole.

looking at the skins WR roster you got

Coles
    Gardiner
    Jacobs
    Johnson
    McCants
    Russell
    Flowers

those are all quality guys

then there is about 6 other long shots hanging around camp - its like seseme street one of these things is not like the other - in this case its Rod Gardiner - sooner or later he will shake loose - hopefully he shakes all the way loose to WEeb Ewbank hall cause he's the type of player that could be Chad' go-to for a decade.