Thread: Herm leads Jets to Japan

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    JETS LAND IN JAPAN
    Excerpt from Newsday [url=http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-jetupdate0731,0,3024097.story?coll=ny-sports-headlines]http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jet...ports-headlines[/url]

Edwards sat in the back of the main cabin, row 53, with the rookies. It was by design; Edwards seizes every opportunity to demonstrate to his players that he is one of them.

"I was messing around with them when they were trying to sleep," Edwards said.

"I know he got me a couple of times," running back Ian Smart, formerly of C.W. Post, said.

When the equipment finally arrived in Chiba, Edwards took a lap, then led the team in a running drill. His face dripping with sweat and breath short after the run, Edwards said he had no second thoughts about accepting the league's invitation to become the first New York football team to play in Japan.

Think any other coach would sit in the back of a plane with the rookies halfway around the world, then get out and lead the team in running?
    I doubt it just like I doubt any other coach wears a sweathshirt in 90+ degree weather during training camp to show the players he can handle the heat so they can to.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    That Herm, he is one terrific guy............ ;)

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm just happy they arrived safely! Now go kick ass! LOL

I am the founder of the religion of HERMANISM. Herm is our God, Pennington is HIS Prophet!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is no other coach in the league I would want coaching the Jets more than Herman Edwards.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    And there in lies herms main problem, he is not suppose to be "one of the guys", he is suppose to be the Head Coach, until he learns what his roll is, he will never be a good coach. These guys dont need another buddy they need a coach.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by PETER PAT[/i]@Jul 31 2003, 12:30 AM
    [b] And there in lies herms main problem, he is not suppose to be "one of the guys", he is suppose to be the Head Coach, until he learns what his roll is, he will never be a good coach. These guys dont need another buddy they need a coach. [/b][/quote]
    Go to bed..........

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    PETER PUTZ:

Two straight playoff appearances, the 2nd winning the division.

Night night!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't remember Herm or Rich Kotite as NFL rookies, but I believe the two had something in common: Both were longshot, undrafted free agents as rookies, that made NFL career for themselves.

The similarities between the two end there, but I really do think both men have/had a certain respect and liking for the rookie or young player--i.e. Ian Smart--trying to beat the long odds and establish themeselves as NFL players. That empathy probably comes from "being like them" at one time. Kotite, for example, always loved Wayne Chrebet.

This may explain why Herm was in the back of the plane with them? At a different time and a different place, he was just like them--bottom of the "Totem Pole", just hoping for attention from the coaches. Today, he likely garners great motivation and good feelings being around these players.

Nothing wrong with that, right ?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dick Vermiel is another coach who I believe fratenizes with his players. He has been succesful so it can work.
    It makes it even more difficult to cut the vets though when their time comes however. That could lead to be a personal problem down the road.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dick Vermeil high fived his receiver after he dropped a TD pass against the Jets lol.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    There may be something to what Patman says. I think Herm's personal relationship with Testaverde kept Pennington on the bench early last year.

Peter Putz, on the other hand, couldn't find his a$$ with a map.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Bob the Jets Fan™[/i]@Jul 31 2003, 06:12 AM
    [b] There may be something to what Patman says. I think Herm's personal relationship with Testaverde kept Pennington on the bench early last year.

Peter Putz, on the other hand, couldn't find his a$$ with a map. [/b][/quote]
    Herm is the man.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't forget about the two Abrahams as prophets as well....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Big Fella in Tokyo[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/hermsherald/the2003newyorkjets/websize/2_DR.jpg[/img]