Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Monday Morning QB's

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham@Aug 2 2003, 01:15 PM
    Hey fellas, I'm having a FIRE SALE

If anyone wants any of the garbage the machine picked for my team, just say the word ... my entire roster {pending commish approval} is UP FOR GRABS

All offers will be accepted ... FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE
    On second thought, that wouldn't be fair to the folks who were actually able to draft a team.

I'll just stick with my roster and come in DEAD LAST

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don&#39;t think you&#39;ll have to worry about coming in last place <_< , this is my roster...............

QB-Kurt Warner, Steve McNair
    RB-Priest Holmes
    WR-Joey Galloway, Wayne Chrebet, Troy Brown, Brian Finneran, Antonio Freeman
    TE-Rickey Dudley
    D-Steelers, Packers
    K-Morten Anderson, Ryan Lindell

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Guys, I know how you feel. I feel worse, TRU&#036;T ME&#33; I wrote to espn and am waiting for an answer on how the gm&#39;s can trade players. I am at a loss. I can&#39;t figure out how the gm&#39;s can do trades right now. If anyone wants to go try and figure it out I am all ears. I need some serious help with this. Again sorry for any problems you had. We will try and correct it. In the mean time here is what I found on the help page for Java (FLASH).(FOR TONIGHTS DRAFT)

Rules - Java Draft

Rules Index | Help Index | Legal Restrictions

JAVA Walkthrough | HTML Walkthrough | System Requirements

Overview
    As the company that brought the first live draft java applet to the internet, ESPN Fantasy Games has made multiple refinements to our delivery, providing you with an even more reliable, exciting, interactive way to get your Fantasy Football team onto the field. Please carefully read this informative live draft java guide; you don&#39;t want to get confused while you&#39;re on the clock.
    Launch the java applet
    Beginning thirty minutes prior to your league&#39;s scheduled Live Draft, access your team&#39;s Clubhouse page by clicking on its team name on the Fantasy Football frontpage, not the Fantasy Games frontpage.

FFL: Rules | Help | FAQ | Board | Sign out

Blitzburg Steelers
    Sunday Gridiron

Upon clicking on either your team name or the "Start Draft" image (as shown above), you will be brought to the Load Live Draft intermediate page which will give you instructions on how to load the java applet for the draft. This page also gives you the option to load the HTML draft (it will open a new browser window), which is recommended to do in case of any live draft problems. Make sure NOT to close this Load Live Draft page for the duration of your live draft.

The process of loading the applet onto your computer may take as long as two minutes -- depending on your connection speed and system memory. Once the applet is fully loaded, navigate around to get a feel for how the applet works.

Drafting players with the java applet
    Choose the player you wish to draft from the list on the right, and select him so his name appears in the lower right-hand box. Click "Draft Player" when it is your turn. Each participant has 90 seconds to make each draft selection.

Note: The applet&#39;s screen shot above is from last year&#39;s game. The newer version of the applet may differ slightly but the basic functionality is the same.

Left-hand column
    As you can see, three tabs may be selected: Rosters, Pending, and Options

Rosters
    This is where a team&#39;s current roster is displayed along with the selection number and round of each player taken. The drop-down menu above the roster allows drafters to view other team&#39;s selections, or all team&#39;s selections in order picked. This can also be done by clicking on the team&#39;s helmet on top.

Pending
    Players may be claimed for upcoming picks prior to an owner&#39;s turn to draft, pending the player&#39;s availability. When a claim has been placed on a player, and that player is still available when the owner&#39;s turn to draft returns, the player will be drafted. This will happen automatically if the team is on auto-pilot. More than one player may be claimed at a time, with claims seeded in the order claimed.

Options
    Live Draft options include Auto-Pilot, the ability to have draft picks made at the beginning of an owner&#39;s turn based on their pre-draft draft listings (pending claims are chosen first); Sounds, a sound notification that you are on the clock; and Hide drafted, the ability to hide players who have already been drafted when searching for available players to draft (recommended).

Right-hand column
    This is the control center where draft selections are made. Above the player list, there is a pull down menu allowing the players to be sorted by position. Players are color coded for availability:

Color coding:
    Previously selected players are shown in thin unbolded print.
    Players in gray print have pending claims placed on them.
    Players in bold blue print are currently available for drafting.
    Players in unbolded brown print are undrafted players who may not be selected because they violate the Live Draft roster restrictions*.

By clicking on an available player, he is placed in the box titled Draft Player. Once it is your turn to draft, simply click on the Draft Player button to select him.

Chat
    Live draft chat allows each owner to shoot the breeze, talk trades, poke fun, and otherwise communicate with his or her peers during the draft. This is also the area where Draft Central post when a player is drafted.

Top of the applet
    At the top of the applet window, a system message shows which team is currently on the clock, how much time remains, which teams are on Auto-Pilot, and which direction the draft is moving.

Keep an eye on the time clock, as owners who do not make their pick in the time allotted are given the highest-rated player available, providing the player fits onto a team&#39;s roster. Once the system makes a pick for an owner, the owner is placed on Auto-Pilot until the option is turned off under Options in the left-hand column of the Live Draft Java Applet.

NOTE: The live draft can be entered 30 minutes before the listed time. The first pick of the draft will be &#39;on the clock&#39; within 3 minutes of the scheduled draft time, so make sure you&#39;re ready.

Return to Rules Index | Continue with the Rules >>

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    GL, no need to apologize ... you did a really nice thing here for everyone ... it&#39;s not your fault that ESPN designed a draft program that requires a degree in engineering.

Honestly, if it were me I would demand a refund ... what ESPN pulled off here was an absolute disgrace.

I launched the Java Browser and it opened a pint-sized screen ... half of which was not even visable.

And to make matters worse, there was absolutely no way to expand the screen ... NONE ... ZERO ... NATTA

I mean, maybe there was a way ... but again, one would need to be a bonified computer engineer to have figured it out?

So there was nothing I could do but sit there and watch the machine make my selections ... I just sat there like a lump on a log, with no recourse whatsoever.

PS. feel free to use this email as evidence should you decide to ask for a refund.

And lastly, THANK YOU for doing this for all of us ... this was tremendously kind of you, GL

DON&#39;T BLAME YOURSELF ... YOU ARE NOT AT FAULT&#33;&#33;

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    O.K. guys I hope this helps...
    I AM HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THE GameCast FEATURE ON ESPN.com, WHO DO I CONTACT FOR HELP?
    Before contacting us, we recommend that you try the following.

1. Be sure that Java is enabled on your browser.

In Internet Explorer you can check this by selecting the Tools menu from the top of your browser and then clicking on "Internet Options" and then the Advanced Tab.

In Netscape select "Preferences" from the "Edit" menu at the top of your browser, then click on the word "Advanced" on the left side of the Preferences dialogue.

2. Try reinstalling GameCast.

Here are the instructions if you are using Internet Explorer:

Go to View->Internet Options.
    Press Settings under Temporary Internet Files.
    Press View Objects button.
    Select ESPN.com MLB GameCast from list.
    Right click to bring up menu and select Remove.
    Press Yes to confirm.

This will remove the CAB install from the computer. Next go to ESPN.com and launch GameCast. This will install a new CAB that will hopefully help.

Here are the instructions if you are using Netscape:

Netscape does not install applets locally. Each time you start a new session and start Gamecast, it will download the applet.

Bitter
    Post Thanks / Like
    I haven&#39;t seen anything mentioned on here yet but the guys who didn&#39;t bother showing up for the draft this morning need to be called out. I don&#39;t have names in front of me but you all know who you are. There are very few excuses for missing this draft and I seriously doubt all ten or how many of you there were had deaths in the immediate family or are dead yourselves. Green Lantern did an AWESOME thing by purchasing this league for us. The least you could have done is shown up for the draft. If you knew you weren&#39;t going to make it, you should have given us notice because I&#39;m sure there were plenty of people that would have loved to have been in your place. It really sucks the enthusiasm out of the entire league when you can&#39;t even lift a finger and put forth a little effort. There, I&#39;m done. By the way, those of you griping about your teams and have said you&#39;re just giving up and trading off all your good players, YOU&#39;RE NOT HELPING EITHER&#33;&#33; Thanks, I am through. Angry

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by huskeralk@Aug 2 2003, 03:40 PM
    By the way, those of you griping about your teams and have said you&#39;re just giving up and trading off all your good players, YOU&#39;RE NOT HELPING EITHER&#33;&#33; Thanks, I am through. Angry
    I agree with the first part ... about folks not showing up ... that is no way to repay GL for his kindness&#33;&#33;

As for griping about "MY TEAM"

Well I don&#39;t have a team ... the machine drafted MY TEAM ... so it&#39;s the machines team I can&#39;t stomach

Husker, I spent hours preparing for this draft, and I was there bright & early {before the draft started even though I picked 20th}, and I was on the conference call from the moment the 1st RD kicked off till the moment the machine had made my first two selections {with only one other guy on the confernce call who also could not make his picks, just waiting for someone to offer some help.

You cannot imagine how frustrating that was ... all prepared to make my picks after hours of research, only to helplessly watch as the machine selected players I wouldn&#39;t touch with a 10 FOOT POLL

If you had been in my shoes, I think you would have a greater understanding of what that felt like.

Bitter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Believe me, I had the same thing happen to me last season but I just pressed on. It actually happened with my first pick too. I wanted Tomlinson instead of Williams but that&#39;s not a real big issue. I just feel we all owe it to GL to make this a fun league and when 75% of the posts are complaints and there are people talking about just giving up, it really takes the fun out of it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I am one of those people and those of you who know me I ATTEND my drafts (both in yahoo league)...but lost power this morning for about 90 minutes..no lie there...I am pissed but will pay what ever the fee is regardless... my team is a mess... I did not pre-draft because I did my research as I am already in 3 other leagues with most of you.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by huskeralk@Aug 2 2003, 04:10 PM
    Believe me, I had the same thing happen to me last season but I just pressed on. It actually happened with my first pick too. I wanted Tomlinson instead of Williams but that&#39;s not a real big issue. I just feel we all owe it to GL to make this a fun league and when 75% of the posts are complaints and there are people talking about just giving up, it really takes the fun out of it.
    I didn&#39;t only miss my first two picks ... the machine made ALL OF MY PICKS

I simply gave up after the first two picks and split ... cause there was NO-ONE on the conference call to offer any advice.

Hey, maybe the folks who were having no trouble should have connected onto the conference call to see if anyone needed help ... ya think?

Not that it would have mattered ... I am pretty PC adept and my launch-browser simply wasn&#39;t working properly.

It was a pint sized screen, half of what was on there was not even visable, it could not be enlarged, and you could not even scroll.

Needless to say, I had nothing to do but watch the machine make my picks ... so why even bother to hang around ... especially when there was no-one on the conference call to offer any help?

So I packed it in and took a powder.

As for the rest of the draft, my team is already totally f**ked ... might as well let the machine finish the abortion.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to apologize to everyone for missing the Draft this morning, I forgot to set my alarm, i was a bit drunk last night. Really bad excuse and I really am sorry guys.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    What draft are u guys talking about for tonight?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    LEAVE IT TO THE DOLPHIN FAN TO BE LOST&#33;LOL&#33;

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Im happy with my team..GL paid alot of dough so we can play for free,i say we make it fun anyway.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    still waiting on espn for word on transactions.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The transactions section should be seen when you click on the players tab. That tab isn&#39;t enabled for some reason. Maybe there&#39;s a waiting period.

I had some difficulties, but eventually figured out how to select players. My screen was fine from the beginning though.

FYI for the future: To select a player you drag their name into the spot where their photo would appear, just above the draft this player button. You could also double click on their name until the player appeared below. When you clicked the draft this player button you were drafting the player whose info appeared above the button. I got screwed up once when I selected Stewart instead of Mack.

No use playing for money now I suppose, but I really only saw one or two teams that will have a hard time competing.

GJ&H - you&#39;re not looking too good. 4H you have some players and could compete by playing a WR at the flex position.

I&#39;m willing to work on trying to solve this so that we don&#39;t have a massive fire sale on players, even if its a redraft somehow.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    ESPN is really getting ripped a new one for the problems people are having with drafts and the lack of support on the Fantasy message board off of our league page.

Stayed tuned and see what they do..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    According to the message board, trading/waivers won&#39;t be online until next week.

:[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/html/emoticons/mad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='mad.gif'>

Bitter
    Post Thanks / Like
    ESPN should give GL as well as all the other commisioners their money back. I have been in several different fantasy drafts through the years and that was by far the worst one I&#39;ve been in. I ran a Yahoo draft yesterday and it went off without a hitch. They need to get their act together.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This was posted on ESPN site on Jul. 30

"We are in the process of resolving the issues with regard to waivers, free agency, and trading. We anticipate waivers and free agency will be available this coming Monday, while Trading will be available by Friday of next week."

I get the strange feeling a couple of teenagers are pulling this all together in a closet at ESPN somewhere.

Here&#39;s how they explained the lack of communication, "Nobody addresses you guys on a daily basis because the art of software development does not lend itself to doing so." What&#33;?