Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Rush Limbaugh..

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by nickledefense[/i]@Oct 7 2003, 12:43 AM
    [b] It seems to me that you and Maryland are going WAY overboard in defense of Rush. He said what he said. [/b][/quote]
    Well, That's your opinion and your entitled to it. and more importantly, In the end I think your gonna win this one, Here's why.

The people who started this whole mess { The Philadelphia sportswriters } Had an objective, They didn't like someone like Rush Limbaugh whom some of them disagree with ideologically to ask a question about how they approach their job so they figured out a way to try to knock him down a few pegs.

I believe they knew full well that if they threw his statement in their columns and injected some innuendo { because in order to drop the" R " bomb, innuendo has to be used to make the connection } that with Limbaugh's reputation as a conservative they would have an excellent story, { to some }and get to malign someone whom they disagree with, I'm sure they also got kudos from their editors for the courage to stand up for society's oppressed as well as thanks from many of society's more fair and open minded people who knew all along that Rush was the Anti- Christ and willingly took his statement and connected their own dots the way they saw fit { Because his explaination was obviously all lies so it needs to be discounted } to make the case that their previous opinions of him were right all along.

But as I believe most people in the media know and the reason in the end you'll win this one, Because from now on when Rush Limbaugh's name or opinions are mentioned all most people who don't pay attention to politics or this particular issue are gonna remember about him is that he's the guy who made those racial statements about black QB's, Whether or not he really said them are completely irrelevant as far as they're concerned, The goal is to just make the accusations and let the misconceptions begin, and, If it teaches that creep Limbaugh to never mess with the powerful media again so be it.

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by tailgators[/i]@Oct 7 2003, 09:14 AM
    [b] Maryland...Give it up already. We all know you're Rush's butt boy. [/b][/quote]
    You lose all credibility with that garbage.......Blo* me !.

I think this thread has now lasted longer that Rush's ESPN career.

Can we ask for it's resignation too? :)

Jets5 and Maryland, this is my last post regarding Limbaugh. He took a football game and dealt with it as if it was his radio show. The last thing people want to hear on a pre-game football show is religion or politics.

He never belonged there, and to make matters worse, he made an issue of McNabb because he was black.

TomShane
    I have been trying to avoid commenting on this issue, as I struggle with political correctness, but let me say this...

The Donovan McNabb situation, as Limbaugh raised it, is really a two-fold concern. From a football point of view, it is easily assailable. McNabb is a wonderful player, a winner, and a leader. Any team would take him right now. So Limbaugh's stance that McNabb is over-rated is plainly incorrect.

The other issue, that the "media" wants a black QB to succeed, has merit, IMO. What the black QB represents is the evolution of the game of American football. As more teams turn to the black QB, the question that no-one wants to ask is, "what will the NFL look like in 10 years?" Will the days of the Peyton Mannings, the Drew Bledsoes and the Chad Penningtons of the world be over?
    Should McNabb, Vick, Aaron Brooks, McNair, Culpepper and/or Leftwich start winning Super Bowls consistently, the league will be changed forever. This is a HUGE media story. Thus, while Rush was wrong to say that the media [i]wants [/i]a great black QB, he is right in implying that there is a huge story involved in finding the "great one."

McNabb, Vick, and the rest are going to be the victims of the past failures. Doug Williams won a Super Bowl and never received an ounce of credit for it, as Joe Gibbs and Timmy Smith just completely outshined him. Williams was seen as a caretaker of that team, as Mark Rypien was a few years later. Until one of the new generation of young, black QB's breaks through it will continue to be, not [i]a [/i]story about the black QB, but [i]the [/i]story.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

i dislike rush limbaugh and what he stands for, but i really don't think he did anything wrong. unless i'm missing something, didn't he simply state his opinion - that mcnabb was overrated and that the media pumped him up because they wanted a black qb to succeed? i think he's wrong on both counts, but i also think he has the right to say it. he's not a reporter, he's supposed to give his opinion.

does anyone get fired when they talk about how some boxers get overhyped because we supposedly want a white heavyweight champion? i've been hearing that since gerry quarry, gerry cooney, tommy morrison, etc., etc., etc. were contenders and i don't remember anyone catching heat or losing a job over it.

All League
    [b][SIZE=4]!!!!! NEWSFLASH !!!![/SIZE][/b]

Today on his syndicated radio talkshow the fat one publicly admitted that he is addicted to prescription medications. He will be checking into rehab Monday. A report on NPR also mention that Limbaugh's name has come up in a police investigation of a Florida Drug Ring.

Prediction....Limbaugh like O. J. Simpson will [b]never[/b] serve a day in a day in prison for his transgressions. Why you ask ? Because one gets as much justice in this society as one can afford. And Limbaugh can afford plenty ! The drug war is war on the poor and the defenseless.

All Pro
    [quote][i]Originally posted by TomShane[/i]@Oct 8 2003, 12:33 AM
    [b] I have been trying to avoid commenting on this issue, as I struggle with political correctness, but let me say this...

The Donovan McNabb situation, as Limbaugh raised it, is really a two-fold concern. From a football point of view, it is easily assailable. McNabb is a wonderful player, a winner, and a leader. Any team would take him right now. So Limbaugh's stance that McNabb is over-rated is plainly incorrect.

The other issue, that the "media" wants a black QB to succeed, has merit, IMO. What the black QB represents is the evolution of the game of American football. As more teams turn to the black QB, the question that no-one wants to ask is, "what will the NFL look like in 10 years?" Will the days of the Peyton Mannings, the Drew Bledsoes and the Chad Penningtons of the world be over?
    Should McNabb, Vick, Aaron Brooks, McNair, Culpepper and/or Leftwich start winning Super Bowls consistently, the league will be changed forever. This is a HUGE media story. Thus, while Rush was wrong to say that the media [i]wants [/i]a great black QB, he is right in implying that there is a huge story involved in finding the "great one."

McNabb, Vick, and the rest are going to be the victims of the past failures. Doug Williams won a Super Bowl and never received an ounce of credit for it, as Joe Gibbs and Timmy Smith just completely outshined him. Williams was seen as a caretaker of that team, as Mark Rypien was a few years later. Until one of the new generation of young, black QB's breaks through it will continue to be, not [i]a [/i]story about the black QB, but [i]the [/i]story. [/b][/quote]
    Dude, you're right. Nothing to add here.

Just wanted to see you get some props before your post is "ignored into oblivion" as I see happen to many of the more reasoned posts.

Hall Of Fame
    [url=http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/10/10/rush.limbaugh/index.html]Rush admits he is addicted[/url]

Banned
    When Rush Limbaugh hates a person he gives them no quarter or sympathy. So now should I have sympathy for him?

Well I do. I hope Rush gets the help he needs and can resume a productive life. I also hope that if he comes back that he won't be so harsh and judgemmental of the people he disagrees with. Afterall, as he's learned the hard way everyone has feet of clay.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Forget Rush, it's time for the JI radio show, starring The_Soothsayer.

Liberals are soooo ignorant. And did I mention mean spirited. You probably have more sympathy for Saddam than Rush. And that is not a strecth.

Making a comment that liberals are "so ignorant" is an oxymoronic statement in itself because you are in fact being ignorant in making such a claim.... I was not aware that you have the sole ability to judge the behavior of every single liberal without having the opportunity to even address most of them.. What you said is simply a blanket statement, and in fact, window dressing to help you hide the pointlessness of your empty rhetoric... What you said added absolutely nothing to the argument on either side... Atleast some of your fellow conservatives were giving well thought out points of view that had premises behind them... However, scholars would refer to your comment as both a "straw man" and "ad hominem" fallacy... Erecting another argument and attacking that instead of the real argument, and making personal attacks instead of discussing the real issues... Hey, isn't that a pretty good explanation for an ignorant Democrat?? (I do not consider myself an extreme liberal, just simply a moderate Democrat)... I am not even going to weigh in on the Limbaugh controversy.. Just wanted to point out the ignorance of that comment.. Happy arguing to all.. and by the way, this is my first post, and I would love to start talking football after this... Greetings to all! :)

Veteran
    [quote][i]Originally posted by mossman83[/i]@Oct 1 2003, 03:20 PM
    [b]
    I love Pennington, but I'd take McNabb over him and about 28 other starting QB's throughout the league any day.
    [/b][/quote]
    really???? 28 others? i dont think he throws a great ball,,,he is a bonafide topnotch QB, but he becomes very normal when he cant scramble........

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

First off Rush is a entertainer just like Al Franken is on the Liberal
    side! Hell Player's like Sapp,Cox and Barkley say stuff and the Media ignores it!Does Liberal Media have a soft spot for minority players? Sure they do just like the NY Times had a soft for that reporter sometime ago!Come to think of it the Dem's have Franken at their Conventions, I don't recall seeing Rush being embraced or being interviewed at any Republican Conventions!!I think McNabb is over rated also he's not in the same League as McNair! ;)