Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rush Limbaugh..

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is an ignorant, racist, lethargic devil.

I love Pennington, but I'd take McNabb over him and about 28 other starting QB's throughout the league any day.

By ROB MAADDI, AP Sports Writer

PHILADELPHIA - New ESPN commentator Rush Limbaugh said on the network's pregame show that Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb was overrated because the media wanted to see a black quarterback do well.

McNabb called the whole thing "sad," but an ESPN spokesman said he didn't think the comments were racially biased.

"He was comparing McNabb's performance on the field to his reputation in the media," spokesman Dave Nagle said Tuesday. He said Limbaugh doesn't do interviews.

On ESPN's "Sunday NFL Countdown," Limbaugh, the outspoken conservative radio talk show host, said he didn't think McNabb was as good as perceived from the start. The quarterback's career has included two straight NFC championship games and MVP runner-up.

"I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well," Limbaugh said. "There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

McNabb told the Philadelphia Daily News: "It's sad that you've got to go to skin color. I thought we were through with that whole deal."

A decade ago, there were few black quarterbacks in the NFL. This season, 10 of the 32 teams will have started black quarterbacks in at least one game.

"I think the Philadelphia Eagles and the city of Philadelphia are very lucky to have Donovan McNabb," Eagles coach Andy Reid said, calling his quarterback "the best in the business."

McNabb got off to the worst start of his career this season and was the NFL's lowest-rated starting quarterback after losses to Tampa Bay and New England. Still, the Eagles are 36-22 in games he started. On Sunday, the team was 32-13 over the Buffalo Bills.

With Limbaugh, ratings for the ESPN show are up 10 percent overall this season, and up 26 percent among men 18 to 34 years old, Nagle said. Sunday's show drew its biggest audience in the regular season since November 1996.

"ESPN hired Limbaugh for his passion and his ability to express opinion and spark debate as a football fan," Nagle said. "In just one month, he has certainly delivered."

Limbaugh is best known as the radio host of the politically focused "Rush Limbaugh Show," which is syndicated in more than 650 markets worldwide.

He spent most of the 1990s assailing then-President Clinton (news - web sites) and now spends Sunday mornings talking football, a job he called "the fulfillment of a dream."

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The guy is an idiot....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    While I think some of the attention and fallout this is getting is blown out of proportion, I can't say I'd mind either of these consequences:

a. McNabb playing with fire in his gut and disposing of the Giants, Cowboys, Skins, and remaining AFC East teams on their schedule besides the Jets (which at this point is *gulp* just Miami)

b. Rush getting his walking papers. "The Next Howard Cosell"!? Who the hell is ABC kidding??

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rush Limbaugh is a big fat idiot.

Thank goodness his 15 minutes are up.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [b]Jet Set[/b] - are you a closeted Iggles fan?!? Quite a littel conflict of interest you'll have in a few weeks. ;)

Limbaugh's comments are midly annoying, but it's very funny to me how ESPN hires the guy knowing he'll say something "controversial" on their network, which they probably dared him to, then they get to "report" on the "story" on ther website and sports show.

'Golly - what will Rush say next? Tune in!!'

BTW - McNabb IS overrated. Limbaugh's assertion that the media want to see a black QB "do well" is a bit of a reach IMO, though...but I would contend that Rush & ESPN are just trying to stir the pot.

I mean, McNair is unreal and flys below the radar, media-wise. At least, outside of sports media. I don't see McNair Chunky commercials, etc and he is 5X the QB McNabb is. So Rush's "theory" kind of loses steam, unless, of course, he also thinks McNair is overrated, but I can't see how he would think so.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do you really think Rush was brought in because of his expansive knowledge of the game of football?

Of course you don't.

He was hired for one reason and one reason only. To get people to watch.

Rush gets people who love him to listen to his radio show and to watch him on TV. He also gets people who hate him to watch.

It's all about ratings and money.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by tailgators[/i]@Oct 1 2003, 05:28 PM
    [b] Rush Limbaugh is a big fat idiot.

Thank goodness his 15 minutes are up. [/b][/quote]
    his 15 minutes are up??? Did his talk show get cancelled, did ESPN fire him....
    Damn I didnt realize he was washed up.......

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The whole racial issue can gte thrown out the door for me, because Ive always thoughht Mcnabb has been overrated as well as the Eagles team and coaching staff.

Andy Reid has less balls then Herm.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by southernjet+Oct 1 2003, 03:37 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (southernjet @ Oct 1 2003, 03:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--tailgators[/i]@Oct 1 2003, 05:28 PM

Damn I didnt realize he was washed up....... [/b][/quote]
    His 15 minutes so far has lasted about 15 years.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by southernjet+Oct 1 2003, 03:37 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (southernjet @ Oct 1 2003, 03:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--tailgators[/i]@Oct 1 2003, 05:28 PM

Damn I didnt realize he was washed up....... [/b][/quote]
    No, but his talk show is down to less than half the stations it used to be on, and ESPN will fire him soon.

He&#39;s scum.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever[/i]@Oct 1 2003, 03:34 PM
    [b] Limbaugh&#39;s comments are midly annoying, but it&#39;s very funny to me how ESPN hires the guy knowing he&#39;ll say something "controversial" on their network, which they probably dared him to, then they get to "report" on the "story" on ther website and sports show.

[/b][/quote]
    It&#39;s one thing to be controversial it&#39;s quite another to be an ignorant, offensive, racist, and that&#39;s what Rush&#39;s statement was.

I&#39;m not a regular viewer of [i]ESPN&#39;s Gameday[/i]. But I sure would&#39;ve liked to have seen Tom Jackson and Michael Irvin jump over their desks and beat the crap out of that fat windbag&#33;

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][b]I&#39;m not a regular viewer of ESPN&#39;s Gameday. But I sure would&#39;ve liked to have seen Tom Jackson and Michael Irvin jump over their desks and beat the crap out of that fat windbag&#33; [/b][/quote]

The guy who would&#39;ve said something is Sterling Sharpe. Mike Irvin is a joke, and TJ doesn&#39;t really like to mix it up.

I will say that I do agree that Mcnabb is overrated.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I liked him better when he was going deaf and started talking like helen keller on the air

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by tailgators[/i]@Oct 1 2003, 05:41 PM
    [b] But I sure would&#39;ve liked to have seen Tom Jackson and Michael Irvin jump over their desks and beat the crap out of that fat windbag&#33; [/b][/quote]
    Irvin didnt hear it, I think he had a court date that afternoon.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Bob the Jets Fan™[/i]@Oct 1 2003, 05:40 PM
    [b]
    He&#39;s scum. [/b][/quote]
    Kind of rough talk?
    I thought you would have been over Florida by now.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by southernjet+Oct 1 2003, 03:48 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (southernjet @ Oct 1 2003, 03:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--tailgators[/i]@Oct 1 2003, 05:41 PM
    [b] But I sure would&#39;ve liked to have seen Tom Jackson and Michael Irvin jump over their desks and beat the crap out of that fat windbag&#33; [/b][/quote]
    Irvin didnt hear it, I think he had a court date that afternoon. [/b][/quote]
    Yeah, and besides who could hear anything with Boomer constantly running his mouth.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][b]I liked him better when he was going deaf and started talking like helen keller on the air [/b][/quote]

lol...I forgot about that. Poor Rush, the voice of mid-america.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by TerryBadway[/i]@Oct 1 2003, 05:54 PM
    [b] Poor Rush, the voice of mid-america. [/b][/quote]
    meaning?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][b]meaning? [/b][/quote]

No heading meaning SoJet (I know you normally catch my wit)

That was in response to DickKotties reference to Ruch going deaf

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I&#39;m glad people are splitting it into two issues, whether McNabb is overrated and whether the "media" has played into it because he&#39;s black.

The latter has no basis in fact and is a natural symptom of Rush&#39;s thinly veiled social agenda, which -- I agree -- ABC execs who hired him were counting on to eventually court controversey. I disagree w/ 5ever somewhat in how much ESPN is welcoming this particular fallout; I see them treading on eggshells about it. I&#39;m sure they&#39;ll have a tight noose over any Page2 comedian who lays into it too much, but on the other hand CNNSI et al are naturally having a field day over it.

I don&#39;t think McNabb is overrated, though I absolutely agree that McNair is very underrated. A 4-3 record in the playoffs, being at the top of the league in TD-INT ratio since his rookie year, 8-0 record on prime time games before this season&#39;s Tampa opener, have all justifiably contributed to him being one of the more exciting players to watch in the league.

There&#39;s a long list of other QBs who have won much less in this league, but enjoy plenty of endorsements and media hype -- Peyton Manning, Daunte Culpepper, Aaron Brooks, and the already-legnedary Michael Vick (so far) being chief among them.

As for me, yeah I like seeing the Eagles do well when they&#39;re not playing the Jets, which is once every 4-5 years (and every preseason&#33;). Mostly because I follow some other Philly teams, grew up near the area, and absolutely hate the rest of the NFC East long before the recent TunaCowboy/Jetskin type affairs.

If the entire coaching staff AND McNabb are overrated, where the hell are all those wins since 2000 coming from? A great secondary alone does not keep a team in the conference championship two straight years, else we&#39;d be gnashing our teeth at the prospective Dolphins amazing playoff accomplishments of recent.