Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Farewell, ESPN

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    What struck me about Medic's post at the top of this thread is how he insulted retarded people by comparing them to Chris Berman. :lol:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Bassnitr[/i]@Oct 3 2003, 08:06 AM
    [b]

When a member of the most maligned and discriminated against group, white males, makes a statement they are hung out to dry in a heart beat.

[/b][/quote]
    When was the last time you were followed in a convenient store (figuring you were going to steal something) based on your race?

When was the last time you were pulled over by the police because you "fit the description of a suspect they are looking for?"

How many years since the Europeans "discovered America" (you can't discover land that somebody else occupies, BTW) were your ancestors locked in chains, made to do physical labor that shortens life spans, and could be separated from family based on being "sold?"

How many years were you not served food, told where to go to school, or countless other factors based on your "white race?"

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by newjakecity+Oct 3 2003, 09:25 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (newjakecity @ Oct 3 2003, 09:25 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Bassnitr[/i]@Oct 3 2003, 08:06 AM
    [b]

When a member of the most maligned and discriminated against group, white males, makes a statement they are hung out to dry in a heart beat.

[/b][/quote]
    When was the last time you were followed in a convenient store (figuring you were going to steal something) based on your race?

When was the last time you were pulled over by the police because you "fit the description of a suspect they are looking for?"

How many years since the Europeans "discovered America" (you can&#39;t discover land that somebody else occupies, BTW) were your ancestors locked in chains, made to do physical labor that shortens life spans, and could be separated from family based on being "sold?"

How many years were you not served food, told where to go to school, or countless other factors based on your "white race?" [/b][/quote]
    I understand that this thread has had a political tone from the start.

Nonetheless, it has been mostly sports-related, and that&#39;s why it&#39;s still here. Keep it that way, or it will be moved or deleted.

You can always have a racial debate in the off-topic forum.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    What&#39;s even more telling about the media is their failure to cover the full conversation by all participants.

You know what Michael Irvin&#39;s (a black man) response to Limbaugh&#39;s comment was: [i]"I agree with Rush."[/i]

I was watching when this happened. Perhaps someone can find the transcript on the internet and provide the link -- I couldn&#39;t find it.

To me, what&#39;s more offensive is that we have an honest-to-goodness klansman serving in our Congress and no one seems to mind. Even the black members of this particular senators own party don&#39;t seem to mind. He even used the "N" word in one of his speeches in the not to distant past.

Limbaugh expresses opinion (which one can choose not to listen to), a Senator contributes to laws which affect all of us. In the grand scheme of things, you tell me which is worse&#33;

(Selective) political correctness is going to be the death of free speech in this country.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He said something that I think (again, it&#39;s all [i]opinion[/i]) is remarkably stupid.If stupidity alone is the reason to lose such a job, Michael Irvin, Deion Sanders and Terry Bradshaw should all start packing. Limbaugh&#39;s mistake is that his whole act is to be opinionated and provocative about issues like race. ESPN hires him figuring he&#39;ll be provocative. But once he touches that 3rd rail when he discusses anything involving race, see ya.

Heck, Irvin replaced Sterling Sharpe, who, while not a nice media-friendly guy when he played, often told you stuff about the game from a player&#39;s perspective you didn&#39;t usually hear. Some people in the NFL (and in the media he did ignore as a player) didn&#39;t like that kind of honesty. Instead, they now have Irvin talking about TD celebrations. Sharpe to Irvin is like going from Einstein to Homer Simpson. Bo ya indeed&#33; Ultimately, Sharpe spoke his mind, and Limbaugh stupidly raised an issue that gets in the way of selling the NFL. Both of them are gone.

I&#39;m not sorry to see Limbaugh go. I wouldn&#39;t want to see Tim Robbins or Al Franken in a similar position. Even though as a conseravtive my views often coincided with his, I believe that Limbaugh cared more about all the stuff he could sell rather he had any deeply-held beliefs. And I genuinely hope that if he has a problem, he gets help.

ESPN has made a conscious decision that ("Playmakers" notwithstanding), selling the NFL is Job 1. Limbaugh got in the way. Expect more cheerleader and end zone dance features. And don&#39;t hold your breath for any stories on the pregame show about drug and steroid use. Heck, you&#39;ll be lucky to hear anything about how the Cover 2 works. It&#39;s gonna be powder puff dumbed down nonsense, because that&#39;s what sells.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The MTV comparison is accurate. Hey guys-the reason ESPN is so big is because you gave us sports, simple and uncut, not all the peripheral CRAP.

Rush for Ratings Makes ESPN Guilty
    by Shawn Powell

October 3, 2003

There was a shocking moment on the set of your favorite all-sports network Sunday. And it wasn&#39;t what you heard, but what you didn&#39;t.

Rush Limbaugh said something about Donovan McNabb getting a free pass from the media because he&#39;s a black quarterback.

Ready for the surprise? Two black panelists, sitting within punching range, said nothing in response.

Tom Jackson and Michael Irvin just continued arguing X&#39;s and O&#39;s, ensuring that this unraveling ESPN drama would be weirder, dumber and more forgettable than anything the network ever aired. And that&#39;s quite a statement about the folks who gave us "Playmakers" and "Season on the Brink."

Let&#39;s recap. Limbaugh, taking part in one of many tired NFL round table talk shows, thought McNabb was overrated and explained why: "The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well ... There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn&#39;t deserve. The defense carried this team."

Given that McNabb was roasted by Philadelphia, even its mayor, on the day he was drafted, and has played at Pro Bowl level ever since without the aid of a decent running back or receiver, we can definitely say Limbaugh was being stupid.

But racist? Based on the hysterical reaction, you&#39;d think so. But taken in its context, not particularly, or blatantly. That&#39;s probably why Jackson and Irvin, former players, didn&#39;t gang-tackle Limbaugh. That&#39;s why almost nobody else gave it a thought at first. Limbaugh didn&#39;t walk down the usual dangerous paths. He didn&#39;t raise any ultra-sensitive stereotypes. He merely said, without any evidence, that a cooperative affirmative-action spirit was being enforced by the media regarding black quarterbacks and coaches.

In the case of black quarterbacks, no longer a strange sight, that&#39;s simply not true. Black quarterbacks have been knocked many times. Akili Smith was ridiculed in Cincinnati, Quincy Carter in Dallas, Kordell Stewart in Pittsburgh. Public sentiment toward John Elway, fueled by a gushing media craving a golden boy, ran high when he played against Doug Williams in their Super Bowl.

Again: stupid.

That&#39;s not to say the media doesn&#39;t play favorites, or that anything&#39;s wrong with that. Whenever there&#39;s a "fish out of water" situation in sports, all objectivity is dropped. When Annika Sorenstam played against men at Colonial, she was universally hailed as a heroine, even after she missed the cut. Tyrone Willingham received fawning tributes and magazine covers after he coached Notre Dame to an 8-0 start but has gone unscathed ever since despite suffering a few blowouts and earning only two wins. When Jason Sehorn was the only white cornerback in the NFL, the reports were glowing to the point of sickening, because Sehorn never made All-Pro.

If a white American sprinter wins the Olympic 100 meters, believe this: The media response will be sweet enough to cause tooth decay.

Here&#39;s the two main problems with what Rush Limbaugh said. First, it was said by Rush Limbaugh. The conservative commentator and insensitive oaf lost the benefit of the doubt long ago. His caveman views on race and culture have offended just about every black person except Clarence Thomas.

Problem II: ESPN put him on the air for this very reason.

The network and the star-struck pinheads doing the hiring wanted someone "edgy" and "controversial." Well, what did they expect from someone who leans farther to the right than the Tower of Pisa? They hired Limbaugh to be Limbaugh, not Al Sharpton. When he said something you&#39;d expect to hear on his radio show, why was ESPN shocked? Why did the network quiver in fear of the reaction? Why did they force his resignation when all Rush did was give them what they wanted?

The problem with ESPN, the real bozos here, is the network wants to be more than what it is. Whenever it strays beyond the formula that made it successful - live events, highlights and guys talking sports - it stumbles badly. I hardly watch anymore. The network has a serious case of MTV disease. Remember when MTV showed music videos? Now it gives you everything but that.

In its own egotistical and clumsy way, ESPN is trying to strike a balance between sports and entertainment. That&#39;s why Limbaugh was hired. That&#39;s why every former great athlete, no matter how inept he comes across on the air, is shoved before the camera. ESPN puts a higher premium on stars and shtick than quality, in-depth programming.

Well, in the aftermath of Limbaugh, this we know: Support for McNabb has never been higher.
    Copyright © 2003, Newsday, Inc.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, I&#39;d not shed a tear if they cleaned Irvin out along with Rush. Take out all the garbage, ABC. I said back in July that Irvin was almost as much a jackass as Rush and a huge downgrade from Sterling Sharpe. But, at least he has a football background to justify his inclusion on the show.

I agree that dumb racially-tinged statements need to be treated more consistently, but I still think some of you are failing to see the difference between somebody working in the sport (Baker) and somebody hired with tons of baggage already to be a pundit on one TV show (Limbaugh). And we still don&#39;t know how much the little pills had to do with this sudden "resignation" vis-a-vis the McNabbgate.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Bob the Jets Fan™[/i]@Oct 3 2003, 09:22 AM
    [b] What struck me about Medic&#39;s post at the top of this thread is how he insulted retarded people by comparing them to Chris Berman. :lol: [/b][/quote]
    Bob, Chris Berman is a Jets fan&#33; :o

That speaks volumes on all of us&#33; :P

Getting back to the topic-

I recall reading an article in ESPN Magazine (MTV does NFL), and one writer said something to the effect of "Jeremy Shockey is getting so much press because he is white, he&#39;s really not that good".

Of course there is a double standard.

[b]BRADWAY YOU LUMMOX DONT STAND THERE WITH YOUR THUMB IN YOUR BUTT, DO SOMETHING&#33;[/b]