Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Yankees ruining baseball

All Pro
    Bob the Jets fan, I honestly didn't post to p##s off Yankee fans. It was a great game. Enjoy the victory, but there is a problem with baseball. It hasn't anything to do with the Yankees winning. The Red Sox spend almost as much as the Yankees do. It's great to see Florida there again with their payroll, but the majority of the teams are going nowhere because they cannot compete with the big salaries. It's going that way in hockey as well.

All I am saying is baseball needs to go the way of the NFL with a cap. And by the way, I'm not that big of fan of the Skydome. Wrigley Field, Fenway Park, Yankee Stadium, and the old County Stadium are way better. The retractable roof is kinda cool though. So is the beer.

Originally posted by NYJJared@Oct 17 2003, 01:11 AM
    That was one of the most exciting baseball games I have ever seen....baseball is hardly ruined. Boston didn't have a hard time beating the Yankees with their salary. Baseball salaries are high anyway so its only like 1-2 players. That game was awesome and these playofs have been the best in recent memory.
    Team Payroll Tax

New York Yankees $180,322,403 10,764,809
    New York Mets 116,253,927 0
    Los Angeles 109,248,680 0
    Texas 106,277,880 0
    Boston 104,873,607 0
    Look. You won. You should be glad. Payroll shouldn't change that for you. As long as the current system allows you to spend like Bill Gates, you can't be criticized for doing so.

Howeber I see a 76 million dollar gap in the Boston and NYY payrolls.

Thats
    Pedro Martinez: 15 million
    Manny Ramirez: 20 million
    Nomar Garciaparra: 10.5 million
    Jason Varitek: 4.7 million
    Johnny Damon: 7.5 million
    Derek Lowe: 3.5 million
    Total: about 61 million. So 6 of Bostons most expensive players don't even make up the difference.

If you subtract from the Yankees:

Derek Jeter: 15.6 million
    Mike Mussina: 12 million
    Andy Pettitte: 11.5 million
    Jason Giambi: 11.5 million
    Mariano Rivera: 10.5 million
    Jorge Posada 8 million

thats about 69 million. Does a team without those guys win the WS 2 out of every 3 years? Go ahead and substitute Mondesis salary for Mussina if you want. Losing those guys still puts a cramp on your juggernoughts style.

This example is versus BOSTON.... one of the 5 biggest payrolls in the league. An NFL style salary cap would hurt Boston too, quite a bit actually. But it would be good for baseball.

So don't say its 1 or 2 guys. It's 5 or 6 of the BEST guys on either team.

NYY has a right to spend the money under the current rules, so they should. But don't say the current rules aren't horrible for baseball. they are.

Banned
    Hey Richard Seymour!!

Here's some kleenex!!

Your post is pathetic!!

Next time serve some cheese with your whine!!

All Pro
    Hey Tom Shane, better read your Free Trade Agreement again before you start blabbing about something you don't understand.

You know, not that any of you give a sh@t, but this website was cool for posting some different opinions about things. If I was a Yankee fan, at least I would be man enough to admit there is a problem with the economics of the game. This is crap that you keep bringing up my nationality as a problem. Did I ever once say anything about the United States? No. It was a great game, but the economics of the game is hurting the sport.

Can everyone please lay off my nationality and comment on the post instead?

Banned
    Originally posted by CanadaSteve@Oct 17 2003, 01:30 AM
    OK, You're post was stupid.

Go away!!

Originally posted by tailgators@Oct 17 2003, 01:25 AM
    Hey Richard Seymour!!

Here's some kleenex!!

Your post is pathetic!!

Next time serve some cheese with your whine!!
    Like I say, as long as the system allows them to, bully for yankees management for spending the money. The Yanks beat the Sox tonight no ifs, ands or buts.

But your ignorant or a hypocrite if you think that in the grand scheme of things this isn't a problem, and that it isn't bad for basebal

All Pro
    My post was not stupid. What is stupid is a bunch of Yankee fans who cannot admit that the fact they can spend 175 million a year on their payroll doesn't give them an advantage that would best be served if all teams were on an even playing field.

Grab a brain Tailgators.

Banned
    Originally posted by RichardSeymour@Oct 17 2003, 01:32 AM
    The Yanks beat the Sox tonight no ifs, ands or buts.

But your ignorant or a hypocrite if you think that in the grand scheme of things this isn't a problem, and that it isn't bad for basebal
    Are you realy saying that the YANKEES beating the Red Sox is bad for baseball?

If that were the case then baseball would've been ruined long ago.

Just have the good grace to take you loss like a man.

TomShane
    Originally posted by CanadaSteve@Oct 17 2003, 01:30 AM
    Hey Tom Shane, better read your Free Trade Agreement again before you start blabbing about something you don't understand.

You know, not that any of you give a sh@t, but this website was cool for posting some different opinions about things. If I was a Yankee fan, at least I would be man enough to admit there is a problem with the economics of the game. This is crap that you keep bringing up my nationality as a problem. Did I ever once say anything about the United States? No. It was a great game, but the economics of the game is hurting the sport.

NAFTA= Welfare for Canada and Mexico. You're welcome, Ulf!

TomShane
    Originally posted by RichardSeymour@Oct 17 2003, 01:23 AM
    Team Payroll Tax

New York Yankees $180,322,403 10,764,809
    New York Mets 116,253,927 0
    Los Angeles 109,248,680 0
    Texas 106,277,880 0
    Boston 104,873,607 0
    As a Mets fan, just let me offer this disclaimer as to why we came in #2....

We're paying Marco Scutaro WAY too much.

Thanks. ~TS

Bitter
    Originally posted by Bob the Jets Fan™@Oct 17 2003, 12:13 AM
    2 - Jetman67, trashing someone's nationality is crap. I'd expect better from you.

Ya know? From what I have seen of Jetman67's posts. Absolutely nothing would surprise me. You always see those guys that don't think before they speak. Well this doesn't apply to Jetman. He just doesn't think period.

All Pro
    Tom, please read the agreement. When Mulroney signed the agreement years ago, it definitely helped the Americans in the short term, but it has helped Canada in the long term. That is called good business. Your lumber comment is a bad example of the Americans not wanting to live up to their agreement from fourteen years ago.

And the last time I checked, baseball and NAFTA really don't have that much in common. Sorry you got burned, but I'm cheesed about the state of baseball, not a lumber deal.

Bitter
    Hey CanadaSteve. You need to scroll a little further down on Tom's post that was bashing you. He continued it by saying he was just messing with you. He's a wise a$$ sometimes it's kinda hard to pick up on his humor. :lol:

Banned
    Originally posted by CanadaSteve@Oct 17 2003, 01:45 AM
    Tom, please read the agreement. When Mulroney signed the agreement years ago, it definitely helped the Americans in the short term, but it has helped Canada in the long term. That is called good business. Your lumber comment is a bad example of the Americans not wanting to live up to their agreement from fourteen years ago.

And the last time I checked, baseball and NAFTA really don't have that much in common. Sorry you got burned, but I'm cheesed about the state of baseball, not a lumber deal.
    Canada you're new here and your not getting off to a good start.

Maybe you should pipe down.
    OK?

TomShane
    Originally posted by huskeralk@Oct 17 2003, 01:47 AM
    Hey CanadaSteve. You need to scroll a little further down on Tom's post that was bashing you. He continued it by saying he was just messing with you. He's a wise a$$ sometimes it's kinda hard to pick up on his humor. :lol:
    Husk, you are my biggest cheerleader. If the Midwest didn't have those old rules about men hugging men, well I'd give you a big ol' rooty-tooty, ya big lug.

All Pro
    I apologize to Tom if I offended him. But I won't pipe down, sorry not in my nature. Isn't arguing about sport stuff great/

Anyway, back to football, why I really came on tonight. If the Jets win this weekend, and Chad is back the following week against the Eagles, the Jets will be in a better position than they were last year. Ever the optimist? Perhaps, but they did impress last week against Buffalo.......

TomShane
    Originally posted by CanadaSteve@Oct 17 2003, 01:45 AM

Stevester, I was just kidding. I wouldn't know NAFTA from NASA. Just busting on you, man.

Long live Canada and its ridiculously contrived National Anthem that sounds woefully like "O Tannenbaum."

Bitter
    Originally posted by TomShane@Oct 17 2003, 12:55 AM
    Husk, you are my biggest cheerleader. If the Midwest didn't have those old rules about men hugging men, well I'd give you a big ol' rooty-tooty, ya big lug.
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I don't even know how to respond to that.

All Pro
    Tom, our national anthem does bear a striking resemblance to that great classic, doesn't it?

All Pro
    Tom, our national anthem does bear a striking resemblance to that great classic, doesn't it?