Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Yankees ruining baseball

Originally posted by tailgators+Oct 17 2003, 01:36 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tailgators @ Oct 17 2003, 01:36 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--RichardSeymour@Oct 17 2003, 01:32 AM
    The Yanks beat the Sox tonight no ifs, ands or buts.

But your ignorant or a hypocrite if you think that in the grand scheme of things this isn&#39;t a problem, and that it isn&#39;t bad for basebal
    Are you realy saying that the YANKEES beating the Red Sox is bad for baseball?

If that were the case then baseball would&#39;ve been ruined long ago.

Just have the good grace to take you loss like a man. [/b][/quote]
    Let me absolutely clear:

The outcome of tonights game, either way, couldn&#39;t really effect baseball. When I say "But your ignorant or a hypocrite if you think that in the grand scheme of things this isn&#39;t a problem, and that it isn&#39;t bad for basebal" I&#39;m referring to the long term implications of competitive imbalance.

Completely seperate issue from this series in my mind.

The Sox lost fair and square.

TomShane
    Originally posted by RichardSeymour+Oct 17 2003, 02:10 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RichardSeymour @ Oct 17 2003, 02:10 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -tailgators@Oct 17 2003, 01:36 AM
    <!--QuoteBegin--RichardSeymour
    @Oct 17 2003, 01:32 AM
    The Yanks beat the Sox tonight no ifs, ands or buts.

But your ignorant or a hypocrite if you think that in the grand scheme of things this isn&#39;t a problem, and that it isn&#39;t bad for basebal

Are you realy saying that the YANKEES beating the Red Sox is bad for baseball?

If that were the case then baseball would&#39;ve been ruined long ago.

Just have the good grace to take you loss like a man.
    Let me absolutely clear:

The outcome of tonights game, either way, couldn&#39;t really effect baseball. When I say "But your ignorant or a hypocrite if you think that in the grand scheme of things this isn&#39;t a problem, and that it isn&#39;t bad for basebal" I&#39;m referring to the long term implications of competitive imbalance.

Completely seperate issue from this series in my mind.

The Sox lost fair and square. [/b][/quote]
    Don&#39;t back off, Seymour&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

HEY&#33; If the RED SOX had another 85 MILLION to spend, they could have paid to have TED WILLIAMS resurrected, his head stapled back on and batting in the three hole&#33;

Chew on THAT, YANKEE FANS&#33;

Man Tom, you have me rooting for the Jets to pull out a 7-9 season. You&#39;d look good in a Ty Law jersey (though that&#39;ll probably be available in Pats blue for only one more year)

TomShane
    Originally posted by RichardSeymour@Oct 17 2003, 02:16 AM
    Man Tom, you have me rooting for the Jets to pull out a 7-9 season. You&#39;d look good in a Ty Law jersey (though that&#39;ll probably be available in Pats blue for only one more year)
    Awww shucks. I just like to say "three hole."

Originally posted by TomShane@Oct 17 2003, 02:22 AM
    Awww shucks. I just like to say "three hole."
    Don&#39;t we all.

Hall Of Fame
    Steinbrenner is playing by the rules, which, as per BoB Dupay and Bud Selig, were going to solve all of baseball&#39;s money problems.Steinbrenner puts his cash on the field. I guess he&#39;s supposed to pocket it like so many scumbag owners instead? All this cash didn&#39;t much help in the late 80s early 90s, when a certain Canadian team which used to sell out all the time dominated. Gee, why no mention of that? The Indians, Mariners, Mets, Orioles , Twins, Angels, Cardinals, Rockies, Royals, A&#39;s and White Sox have all been competitive; the Mariners, Sawx ,Dodgers, Cubs, Braves and Angels are all owned or part owned by huge media compnaies. By comparison, Steinbrenner even with YES is a realtive mom&pop operation.

Speaking of history-wake up. there has never been some golden era of perfect competition. NEVER. There will always be haves and have nots. Look it up. In fact, the spread of records of teams in the last 20 years is closer in terms of won/loss record as it has ever been.

Go back to your whining.

Uh, Bugg.... thats because there has never been a salary cap.

Look at football.

Originally posted by CanadaSteve@Oct 17 2003, 01:30 AM

Can everyone please lay off my nationality and comment on the post instead?
    You got it. Ridiculous post. Sour grapes.

It&#39;s obviously not only about deep pockets. It&#39;s maintaining a great scouting team who are able to recognize talent. It&#39;s a front office that can assess free agent talent and make the proper moves. It&#39;s about a future hall of fame manager who has the incredible knack for making the right moves and motivating his players. It&#39;s about class, talent and professionalism from the top to the bottom of a legendary organization. I could go on and on, but you
    get the picture. Incredible&#33;

GO YANKS&#33;

Banned
    seriously, the yankeys have ruined baseball...since they started winning almost year on and year off, i have not watched a single baseball game...their is no point, who cares who wins when at the end of the year its going to be the same team? it is quite ridiculous...its funny how the majority of you hate the washington redskins, but the yankeys are the redskins of football...hilarious...you can rip me all you want, but im not a fan of any team anymore so that really doesn&#39;t matter to me...the fact is that baseball isn&#39;t fun when the same team wins the world series every other year...

Originally posted by CanadaSteve@Oct 17 2003, 12:50 AM
    First and foremost, I am not a Red Sox fan who is sour. Being from Canada, I love the Jays, but first and foremost I am a baseball fan. Five years ago, I travelled to all thirty ball parks, a lifelong dream of mine. I understand that you guys are excited about your team winning, but can&#39;t ANYONE understand how this crap is destroying the sport. THE ONLY reason the Yankees are their every year is because of their deep pockets. Remember when anyone could win the World Series? This is killing the sport, and I hope all you Yankee fans enjoy these days, because they are coming to a close. Their will be a time when nobody outside the 212, 718, 917, 646, 347 etc. area codes gives a sh** about baseball anymore. I know I&#39;m getting there...
    Yea Boones a real house hold name. <_<
    What you saw last night was a team,the Yankees,
    showing you waht baseball is all about.
    Giambi who has been silent comes through.Seranno(sp) who couldnt gets a hit makes up for it with his fielding.Lastly Boone an unlikely hero steps it up and hits the homer.It was a total team effort
    and it was how the game should be played.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by jetman67@Oct 17 2003, 12:52 AM
    Baseball is an AMERICAN sport. Canadian opinions do not matter. Expanding into Canada was Baseballs biggest mistake
    Why do I get the feeling that REMAX may what to put a little asterisk on Jetman&#39;s post that state

*The opinions of Jetman do not necessarily reflect those of REMAX-LOL

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Geeze, I was just busting the guys b@lls&#33;&#33;&#33;

All Pro
    hey everyone in entitled to their opinion - and i bet if the Jays were playing tomorrow night this would be a non issue -

you can buy all the players you want (ie NY RANGERS, WASHINGTON REDSKINS) the trick is getting them to win&#33;&#33;&#33;

So what&#39;s the Marlins payroll, eh?

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Originally posted by CanadaSteve@Oct 17 2003, 02:06 AM
    I didn&#39;t realize my nationality had to come into play here. I said I was a BASEBALL fan, not a CANADIAN baseball fan.
    Wow - I didn&#39;t know that if U live in Canada it&#39;s your nationality?
    I&#39;m Italian and live in NY, but my nationality is Italian American - not New York, but whatever.

As for the Yankees having a monopoly on the best players in order to constantly win World Series titles that&#39;s horsecrap. The kid who hit the winning home run last night came out of nowhere and had a terrible MLB record.

Money buys alot of things, it it can&#39;t buy the heart of a team. Oh, and by the way - I&#39;m a Met fan.

All Pro
    Marlins have a very good young team - i hope that they can keep the core and be that good for the future - i give them a ton of credit - they beat SF and Chicago&#33;&#33;&#33;

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by Limolady+Oct 17 2003, 08:56 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Limolady @ Oct 17 2003, 08:56 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--CanadaSteve@Oct 17 2003, 02:06 AM
    I didn&#39;t realize my nationality had to come into play here. I said I was a BASEBALL fan, not a CANADIAN baseball fan.
    Wow - I didn&#39;t know that if U live in Canada it&#39;s your nationality?
    I&#39;m Italian and live in NY, but my nationality is Italian American - not New York, but whatever.

As for the Yankees having a monopoly on the best players in order to constantly win World Series titles that&#39;s horsecrap. The kid who hit the winning home run last night came out of nowhere and had a terrible MLB record.

Money buys alot of things, it it can&#39;t buy the heart of a team. Oh, and by the way - I&#39;m a Met fan. [/b][/quote]
    The kid that hoit the homerun last nignt DID NOT come out of no where. He is the son of Bob Boone and was cut in a SALARY SLASH by the cheap Cincinatti Reds.

Aaron Boone is a quality player. He is thought of so much by the Yankees, that he is being groomed as a replacemnt for the multi-million dollar mistake that was Drew Henson.

For Yankee fans that do not believe that there is a diproportional advantage-How many other teams would have been able to do the Drew Henson experiment?

You want to call that fair.

For players outside of the US-There is NO DRAFT. The highest bidder gets to aquire their rights. Think that is fair?

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Originally posted by Scott Dierking@Oct 17 2003, 10:02 AM
    The kid that hoit the homerun last nignt DID NOT come out of no where. He is the son of Bob Boone and was cut in a SALARY SLASH by the cheap Cincinatti Reds.

Aaron Boone is a quality player. He is thought of so much by the Yankees, that he is being groomed as a replacemnt for the multi-million dollar mistake that was Drew Henson.

For Yankee fans that do not believe that there is a diproportional advantage-How many other teams would have been able to do the Drew Henson experiment?

For players outside of the US-There is NO DRAFT. The highest bidder gets to aquire their rights. Think that is fair?
    Like I said Scott, I am a Met fan and as for this guy Boone, I can only go by what I hear about him on the news and they stated is a struggler - not a star.

And my point only furthers the issue of deep pockets. You can spend top dollar to buy the goose that lays the golden eggs, but what happens when the only thing he produces are scrambled eggs?

The big money players like Jeter, Giambi, Soriano etc. had to work 4 the dollars this season in order to be where they R right now. Two months ago they mumbling to get rid of Torre because they were losing so many games. :o

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by Limolady+Oct 17 2003, 09:18 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Limolady @ Oct 17 2003, 09:18 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Scott Dierking@Oct 17 2003, 10:02 AM

Like I said Scott, I am a Met fan and as for this guy Boone, I can only go by what I hear about him on the news and they stated is a struggler - not a star.

And my point only furthers the issue of deep pockets. You can spend top dollar to buy the goose that lays the golden eggs, but what happens when the only thing he produces are scrambled eggs?

The big money players like Jeter, Giambi, Soriano etc. had to work 4 the dollars this season in order to be where they R right now. Two months ago they mumbling to get rid of Torre because they were losing so many games. :o [/b][/quote]
    LL-as I mentioned in another post-I really admire what the Yankees did last night.

Boone is a &#036;3.7 mill player. Not the highest salary, but not one that most clubs would be willing to take on. He is a 20-20 guy and is a gamer. He can play third or SS.

I would LOVE to have Aaron Boone on the Mets. Even though I admire the grit of a Wiggington, Boone is the next level up.

I don&#39;t understand why Yankee fans can&#39;t admit that it&#39;s a huge advantage to have an owner who has the ability and inclination to spend twice as much as everybody else.

As a Sox fan I&#39;ve already come out and given the Yankees congratulations. I think it was a great series that either team would have deserved to win.

As fans you guys are very lucky to live where you do. The Yankee advantage doesn&#39;t only appear on their major league payroll, but in scouting, in being able to sign draft picks as well as draft potential problem signees in later rounds that other teams can&#39;t pay, and especially in the International market. Who is the last star that has left the Yankees in free agency? The Expos have developed just as much, if not more, major league talent over the last decade+ and what do they have to show for it?

It&#39;s disingenous to sit there and say how smart the Yankees are. They make good and bad moves just like everybody else. The thing is they don&#39;t pay for their bad moves and are able to capitalize on their good moves by resigning whomever they want.

This is not whining, or sour grapes. I&#39;m not saying the Yankees aren&#39;t a great team. I&#39;m just saying that Yankee fans are lucky and should realize how lucky they are. Winning is not your birth-right. You don&#39;t win simply because you have the smartest management or best coaches, a bigger part of your success is that you have more assets to utilize than other teams.

The Sox have a big advantage over other teams as well. I recognize this and I appreciate it. I&#39;m glad I don&#39;t live in one of the small markets where they won&#39;t always be competitive.

And please spare me with the fact that the Marlins are in the Series. It is certainly possible for a small market team to make the playoffs and have success. The question is for how long? How many bad seasons have Florida, Minnesota, K.C. had to go through in order to develop cheap young talent? And how long will their success last? As soon as those talented youngsters start making big money they will be gone.

There is a competitive advantage to the Yankees. To deny it would be disingenous. Is it the only reason the Yankees win? No of course not. Is it a big reason? Yes.

I think Yankee fans should sit down and count their blessings and enjoy their team instead of rubbing it in.

Once again congrats on making the Series, it was a great ALCS.