Thread: pulled Pedro too late?

All Pro
    Okay, my last topic didn't go over so well, lets try this one.

Does anybody think that Pedro was left in too long? 5-2 in the top of the eighth and you have Mike Timlin who has pitched perfect for you in the set-up roll. Too late to bring him in.

And for you Pedro haters out there, Zimmer should have never charged in the first place.

Duh. This is why Grady Little won't be managing in Boston next season. Pedro barely made it out of the 7th, giving up another HR in the process. Our bullpen was rolling all postseason. 6 outs left, there was no reason to send him back out. 1 out and 1 on, there was no reason to leave him in to Williams. Even less reason to leave him in against Matsui. Was Grady trying to throw the game or what? Someone check with Vegas.

All Pro
    okay, that's one opinion.....Yep that is a definite vote yes that it was one inning too late for Pedro to come out of the game.

Originally posted by CanadaSteve@Oct 17 2003, 01:51 AM
    Okay, my last topic didn't go over so well, lets try this one.

Does anybody think that Pedro was left in too long? 5-2 in the top of the eighth and you have Mike Timlin who has pitched perfect for you in the set-up roll. Too late to bring him in.

And for you Pedro haters out there, Zimmer should have never charged in the first place.
    Ummm, not to be rude, but.... you think so Doctor?

It was so f***** obvious a BLIND man could see. EVERY member of RSN, any one who knew the LEAST bit about the team knew that Pedro should not have gone back on for the 8th.... and if he did he should have had a short leash.

To quote SoSH:

Just to recap:

It's the 8th inning. Pedro Martinez has thrown 100 pitches and is clearly exhausted. Grady does nothing

Jeter doubles, Grady does nothing

Williams singles, Grady does nothing

Matsui doubles, Grady does nothing

Posada doubles, Grady finally wakes up and pulls Pedro after 123 pitches

To call Grady "Gump" is an insult to the mentally handicapped. Grady is in a class all by himself.
    One of the most massive, stupidest, manegerial mistakes ever. Six outs to go, an exhausted starter, a LIGHTS OUT middle reliever and closer waiting in the pen, already warmed up....

That, and that alone lost the RS the game.

Blame Pedro if you want, but its the Starters JOB and MENTALITY to NEVER want to come out of the game. If the manager asks "do you want to stay in?" a good starter ALWAYS says yes.

Yankee fans will laugh at this, but Pedro pointed to the sky when he came off after the 7th. He does that when he thinks he's finished pitching for the game. Even Pedro thought he was done.

All Pro
    Okay that's two votes yes.....Hey guys, I'm with you. I wanted Timlin in as well. I saw first hand in Toronto what this guy did, and maybe Grady was just trying to go with the guy that got him there....but it didn't work.

After that first home run made it 4-1, you could feel the momentum switch. It was time then....

I'll also note.... I seriously, honest to god started to wonder if Steinbrenner was paying Grady Little money.

I know that can't be true, but Gradys actions were so amazingly, bafflingly, absurdly STUPID.

Hall Of Fame
    Grady gifted that game to the yanks.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

A good manager would pull his superstar when he is obviously running out of gas. Even though his pitches still had some good speed, he did not have the control that he had earlier in the game.

Heres your third yes

Hall Of Fame
    In the biggest game of all, the "players" manager, Grady ^&^$%^$ Little didn't pull an obviously tired Pedro because what? He didn't want to hurt his feeling? Grow a pair, Grady ^$%&# Little! Plus, Grady %*$*^$# Little....who always says he wants to go with what has been working, decided to deviate from the "norm" in game seven of the series. Hey, Dopey: Pedro picthed a great seven. Put in Timlin to shut-out the eighth and set-up Wiliamson to close out the ninth, you know, the formula that HAD BEEN WORKING! .....what the #$@^$#@

Okay....feel better now...