Thread: How can any of you be yankees and jets fans?

Banned
    i think its funny that the yankees win and you guys are all psyched...big deal, they should fricken win, they go out and outspend everyone else...
    all in all, they are the redskins of baseball...i don't care what you say, they are...
    in all honesty you guys are really sore winners...people come on here expressing opinions and you guys just rip on them...seriously you can say whatever you want about me being a fan of another team...because im not, im not a fan of baseball at all anymore, the whole sport is a joke...oh well...you can like a team and be happy when they win, but you all seem like arrogant a$$holes...

Brilliant observation. One of the most thrilling post-season series in the hitsory of baseball, to go to the WS, beating your arch rival, but nobody should be excited. :blink: :unsure:

personally, i hate the yankees, however they are not the redskins. The Redskins win nothing, however the yankees always are winning after buying every free agent player in sight,

No, the yankees are not the Redskins of baseball....they do their homework and their spending works. I want to know where all these whiney crybabys were when the yankees used to sign washed up scrubs (Mike Gallego, Spike Owen, Richard Dotson) and were one of the worst teams in baseball. I cannot stand all this Jealousy. Steinbrenner wants to win, his fans provide him the financial means to do it, and Yankee fans should feel bad for that. I think not.

Excuse the most successfull sports franchise in history for taking the money and putting it back into the team!! When the Redskins win 26 titles you can compare them to the Yanks..until then deal with it! They are successfull because they play for the greatest fans in the world and for the greatest city in the world.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by yourworstmemory@Oct 17 2003, 07:45 AM
    i think its funny that the yankees win and you guys are all psyched...big deal, they should fricken win, they go out and outspend everyone else...
    all in all, they are the redskins of baseball...i don't care what you say, they are...
    in all honesty you guys are really sore winners...people come on here expressing opinions and you guys just rip on them...seriously you can say whatever you want about me being a fan of another team...because im not, im not a fan of baseball at all anymore, the whole sport is a joke...oh well...you can like a team and be happy when they win, but you all seem like arrogant a$$holes...
    So where do the Jets fit into your original point....????

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

YWM, What you are saying that it is wrong for an owner to invest in his team. Where did you come up with that bonehead logic?

The yankees are as succesful as they are becaue of the money they spend.
    It is not even a competition any more, When Oakland loses their pitchers the yankees are going to sign them. They dont raise anymore money per fan than other teams, it is just that they play in the greatest TV market. With a historical record of succesto build on. When Steinbrenner sell the team for 1 1/2 billion and the new owners have that to pay they wont be outspending the average competive team by 2X.

Yankee fans should not even try to justify their business, they should just say "deal with it"

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by AirForceJetFan@Oct 17 2003, 07:50 AM
    No, the yankees are not the Redskins of baseball....they do their homework and their spending works. I want to know where all these whiney crybabys were when the yankees used to sign washed up scrubs (Mike Gallego, Spike Owen, Richard Dotson) and were one of the worst teams in baseball. I cannot stand all this Jealousy. Steinbrenner wants to win, his fans provide him the financial means to do it, and Yankee fans should feel bad for that. I think not.
    AFJ-Your premise that the fans provide the impetus for Yankee spending is slightly off skew. The Yankees ability to outspend everybody comes from the simple fact that they play in the largest media market in the country. The ad dollars and broadcast rights that they generate, dwarf any othe in comparison.

Have they played this card well? You bet they have. The YES Network and other negotiations they have made have been genius.

The Yankees get the benefit of having the ability to make mistakes (money mis-spent) that no other club enjoys. They can afford to stash away multi-million dollar players in the minor leagues, and if they don't pan out, oh well, there is plenty more in the kitty.

Listen, I am a Met fan and the Mets should have similar advantages. But they are too stupid to take advantage right now. As stupid as the Yankees were in the 80's.

Baseball lacks the luster it once did for me because of this misalignment. Call me old fashioned, call me callous or whatever, but how can anyone really get excited about something that is so disproportional? It is akin to the first graders playing the sixth graders in a game of kick ball. The first graders may have some pluck, but in the end, the odds get you.

Just my stupid little spiel. There will be talk of a revival of baseball this off-season because of these series. But until baseball can overcome its singular egos and try to understand the need to think collectively, this will hardly be a sport.

Originally posted by patman@Oct 17 2003, 08:19 AM
    The yankees are as succesful as they are becaue of the money they spend.
    It is not even a competition any more, When Oakland loses their pitchers the yankees are going to sign them. They dont raise anymore money per fan than other teams, it is just that they play in the greatest TV market. With a historical record of succesto build on. When Steinbrenner sell the team for 1 1/2 billion and the new owners have that to pay they wont be outspending the average competive team by 2X.

Yankee fans should not even try to justify their business, they should just say "deal with it"
    I am a Yankees Fan, and I agree with your post (which has me scared to death).

This will not last forever, and So I am going to enjoy it while it does and I am going to gloat as we keep winning.

BTW: The curse is over the Yankees after a year off are going back to the World Series.

A point to consider,

Assume that Bonds and Randy Johnson were free agents and that the Sox had 70 million more bucks to spend.

If the Sox signed these guys, would the Yanks have won that series?

Anyone who says yes is just an idiot, IMO.

Even Billy Beane complained that if he had 50 million more dollars he'd field a better team.

Baseball NEEDS a hard cap. I still enjoy baseball because the Sox are one of the top 5 market teams...but if I were a Pittsburg or a Milwaukee fan...I would not care AT ALL.

Veteran
    Why cant we be Yankees and Jets fans... whats your point

they are both NY teams..

why root for the mets when you can be a Yankee fan

All League
    How many teams could afford to have an Aaron Boone as a utility bench player? How many teams can sign a pitcher they know will be out for an entire season?

Originally posted by Scott Dierking+Oct 17 2003, 12:30 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Scott Dierking @ Oct 17 2003, 12:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--AirForceJetFan@Oct 17 2003, 07:50 AM
    AFJ-Your premise that the fans provide the impetus for Yankee spending is slightly off skew. The Yankees ability to outspend everybody comes from the simple fact that they play in the largest media market in the country. The ad dollars and broadcast rights that they generate, dwarf any othe in comparison.

Have they played this card well? You bet they have. The YES Network and other negotiations they have made have been genius.

The Yankees get the benefit of having the ability to make mistakes (money mis-spent) that no other club enjoys. They can afford to stash away multi-million dollar players in the minor leagues, and if they don&#39;t pan out, oh well, there is plenty more in the kitty.

Listen, I am a Met fan and the Mets should have similar advantages. But they are too stupid to take advantage right now. As stupid as the Yankees were in the 80&#39;s.

Baseball lacks the luster it once did for me because of this misalignment. Call me old fashioned, call me callous or whatever, but how can anyone really get excited about something that is so disproportional? It is akin to the first graders playing the sixth graders in a game of kick ball. The first graders may have some pluck, but in the end, the odds get you.

Just my stupid little spiel. There will be talk of a revival of baseball this off-season because of these series. But until baseball can overcome its singular egos and try to understand the need to think collectively, this will hardly be a sport. [/b][/quote]
    Your point is very well taken Scott but my issue is with some of these "small market" teams like the Twins who have an owner in Carl Poliad who is worth wayyyy more that Steinbrenner and I see it like this. If that guy wanted to win as much as George does, he would take some money out of pocket, sign some big name talent (which would probably make him his money back in attendance) and maybe go to the post-season.

I know the Yankees make a profit every season and of course the market they play in is a great help but I&#39;m tired of hearing about these "poor teams" who can&#39;t compete when it boils down to the fact that we have an owner who wants nothing more than to win.

I honestly believe that if the same guy who owns the Oakland A&#39;s owned the Yankees, they wouldn&#39;t be as good because the profit is more important to him than winning. This is proven by the fact that despite the fact that the A&#39;s are due to recieve over &#036;10 million in revenue sharing, they said before the season even started that they would make no attempt to sign their best player and league MVP. I know that the Twins and A&#39;s are only two examples but I&#39;m sure there are plenty of other owners out there who are running the same scam. Give me my revenue money and I&#39;ll put a very small percentage of it toward my team, and the rest goes in my pocket.

Banned
    is what im saying, is its fine if you want to spend all your money on a title...but that isn&#39;t good for the league...the league is stupid for not having a cap...it makes all of baseball suffer...there isn&#39;t even a reason for playing the games...seriously, all the rest of the teams should play all year long and have playoffs and then every year play the yankees in the world series...thats what im saying...and yes they are just like the redskins, only thing is the skins have a cap so they can&#39;t go so overboard...im not saying its wrong in the yankees perspective, but it sure isn&#39;t good for the league...
    what happens if your a fan of the pirates? thats ****ty...there is nothing you can do, no wonder some of the teams are folding...i hate baseball, so it doesn&#39;t matter to me...but im just sayin, its not fair, plus the yankees look gay as hell in those pinstripes...

Banned
    Originally posted by yourworstmemory@Oct 17 2003, 04:13 PM
    what happens if your a fan of the pirates?
    Sucks to be them&#33;&#33;

On the other hand at least the Pirates fans won&#39;t have any trouble getting great tickets to see their team play in that fabulous new ballpark.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :ph34r: Hey goofball it&#39;s easy being a Yankees - Jets fans.....It&#39;s easy when you have been a friggin fan of both (and only both) teams since the early seventies.......you seem to fail to realize that the Yankees have also had some friggin lean years.....people are always knocking the Yankees...I guess it&#39;s just jealousy......every year we have no Cancers in the locker room...you never hear about anything wild happening etc.

The Yankees means New friggin York pride.

The Jets mean Fans that have seen the good bad and the ugly and will always blled green and white.

I don&#39;t hate the Giants/Mets.......they are just not my team.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :ph34r: If you knew anything about the Yankees ...let alone baseball you would know that Mariano Rivera/Derek Jeter?Bernie Williams are farm system players....get off the Jealous bandwagon....Money does not buy championsips...great coaching/Managing does.

There is a decent manager by the name of Joe Torre....ever hoid of him?????

One big difference.

The Yankees win.

The Redskins are more like the Mets.

Originally posted by shawn306@Oct 21 2003, 08:02 AM
    One big difference.

The Yankees win.

The Redskins are more like the Mets.
    True, how true.

Having all the &#036;&#036;&#036; in the world is useless unless you know what to do with it. Just ask the Mets. Same market, also a rich TV deal. One difference - dumb management.