Thread: Perdo's a punk to the end.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    From Brink of Pennant to Brink of Despair
    By BILL FINLEY

Published: October 17, 2003

or several minutes, no one moved, not a sound was uttered, except for a few grown men unsuccessfully fighting back tears. Pedro Martínez, who fell apart in the eighth inning and probably stayed in the game too long, slumped in his chair in front of his locker, his head slumped in his hands. John Henry, the principal owner, went from player to player, issuing a comforting and paternal pat on the back. It was not the locker room of a beaten team, it was a wake.

Even the news media, the hundreds packed into the tiny clubhouse at Yankee Stadium, played into the scene. Reporters, perhaps stunned, perhaps sympathetic, seemed afraid to break the silence with series of questions that were sure to sting.

As the Red Sox finally started to collect themselves, they trued their best to explain the sadness they were experiencing, the disbelief they felt and, yes, the pride that was still swirling inside their hearts for a team many have described as a band of brothers.

"It wasn't supposed to end like this," said Tim Wakefield, so tough during the American League Championship Series but the pitcher that served up the home run to Aaron Boone that gave the Yankees a 6-5 victory early this morning. "It's difficult, period. We are brothers in here. We have been family going on nine months and it hurts."

Martínez, who hid his feelings and thoughts from the news media for most of the season, wasn't afraid to say he hurt he was. And he was Angry. In a strange scene, he asked all members of the New York news media to excuse themselves from the herd gathered in front of his locker before he talked.

"Move away," he told them. "People from every other city, every other country, every other reporter can talk to me."

When it became clear that Martínez couldn't successfully weed the New Yorkers out of the crowd, he spoke of his sadness, his disappointment and his warm feelings for his teammates and the respect he has for the Yankees.

"This is something I can't really describe," he said. "If you were with these guys day after day, you might understand how I feel. But we are not stunned. We were competing against a very good team that has a bunch of professional players. They did what they had to do to win the ball game. I respect them. I have nothing bad to say about them. I wish them luck against the Marlins."

Like everyone else in the clubhouse, Martínez was asked what he thought of Manager Grady Little's decision to keep him in the game even when he was getting hit hard in the eighth inning."

"I wouldn't put Grady on the spot," he said. "I am the ace of the team and you've got to trust me. Don't blame Grady. He wasn't the one playing the game. If you want to point the finger of blame, point it at me."

But the players seemed to understand that Little would be forever second guessed for keeping Martínez in the game and that his decision, sure to be labeled a foolish one in a suffering New England region, will go down in Red Sox lore.

"It's easy to second-guess Grady but I'm not going to do that," Larry Lucchino, the president and chief executive of the Red Sox, said. "This team got to where it got to. A lot of credit has to be spread around the whole clubhouse. There's no time now for second-guessing."

Said set-up man Mike Timlin, an obvious candidate to come in in relief of Martínez when he began struggling: "I don't question Grady's judgment. I didn't do it all year and I'm not going to do it now."

He said the defeat would be easier to swallow for him than most of his teammates.

"It doesn't hurt me personally," said Timlin, who won a World Series with the Blue Jays. "It does break my heart for these guys. I feel for every player and every coach who has not been to the World Series."

Timlin was remarkably composed. Others weren't. After Martínez's news media session, he returned to his pose, slumped over, his head buried in his hands. He was in pain. He was not alone.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    kind of dick-move initially, but this was classy:

When it became clear that Martínez couldn't successfully weed the New Yorkers out of the crowd, he spoke of his sadness, his disappointment and his warm feelings for his teammates and the respect he has for the Yankees.
    "This is something I can't really describe," he said. "If you were with these guys day after day, you might understand how I feel. But we are not stunned. We were competing against a very good team that has a bunch of professional players. They did what they had to do to win the ball game. I respect them. I have nothing bad to say about them. I wish them luck against the Marlins."
    Like everyone else in the clubhouse, Martínez was asked what he thought of Manager Grady Little's decision to keep him in the game even when he was getting hit hard in the eighth inning."
    "I wouldn't put Grady on the spot," he said. "I am the ace of the team and you've got to trust me. Don't blame Grady. He wasn't the one playing the game. If you want to point the finger of blame, point it at me.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    While I do not like Pedro, and I feel he is a punk, the way he accepted the blame away from Grady Little was classy.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tailgators a punk to the end.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by scrizzy@Oct 17 2003, 11:27 AM
    Tailgators a punk to the end.
    You sound soooo bitter.

YANKEES WIN!!! THE YANKEES WIN!!!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm actually not bitter at all. I think it was a great series and a great season. I just happen to think that you're a dickhead.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    scrizzy... I could give a rats ass what you think. Today is a great day and I'm not gonna let an ignorant fool like you have even the slightest effect on it.

Adios.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Adios Tailgators, enjoy the win.