Thread: OT: My finals thoughts on the ALCS

My friends, I cannot tell you how drained I feel today

I don't know who agrees with me, but I can tell you this ... I could not even bare the thought of the Red Sox winning the pennant at Yankee Stadium

With Pedro as the winning pitcher ... are you kidding me?!?!

My friends, this scenario was worse than my worst nightmare ... tantamount to death {in a baseball sense}

Pedro & Manny dancing the marangae in The House that Ruth Built ... UNBEARABLE!!

The Boston Red Sox spraying champagne on the Yankee Stadium soil ... in the Yankee Stadium building {even in the bathroom} ... BASEBALL DEATH!!

For this reason I got a little crazy after Game Six ... I hope my Yankee friends can understand this?

I think those who bleed pinstripes, those who live & die with every pitch, while they may not agree with the things I wrote, will understand the torment in my soul at the mere thought of the Red Sox winning the pennant at Yanee Stadium

I felt the same way about the 2000 World Series {Yankees Vs Mets}, only there was never a moment in that series that it actually seemed as if my worst nightmare was about to be realized

But here ... HERE ... I felt so close to hell that I could feel the devil clutching at my heels!! {LOL}

But alas, my beloved Yankees came through like the champs that they are ... they have made me prouder than you can possibly imagine ... I had tears in my eyes {literally had tears in my eyes} when our boys pulled this one off

When I saw Mariano {THE GREAT MARIANO RIVERA} drop to the mound in tears ... a thoroughly exhausted warrior who left his heart on that very same mound for THREE INNINGS, in the Game I wanted to lose less than any other Game in my lifetime ... that's where I lost it

Let me say this ... Jason Giambi was indeed The Straw that Stirred the Drink

I Questioned that he could be ... heck, I flatout gave up on the idea that he ever could be ... but Jason Giambi was indeed The Straw that Stirred the Drink

When this team was being mastered by the Great Pedro Martinez ... when it seemed as if Martinez was at his unhittable best ... it was Jason Giambi that kept reminding his teammates that no man is invincable ... with his two massive HR's off the Great Pedro Martinez, Giambi continued to breathe life into his teammates, until they finally got the message

Basically, Jason Giambi did what I asked him to do ... he put this team on his back and dragged them to the finish line!!

And then his mates followed suit ... Giambi showed them the finish line, and the rest of his team sprited across for the win!!

Mariano Rivera ... too bad Mariano is slipping, huh?

Too bad the Great Mariano is a shell of his former self, huh?

I have been saying this for quite some time, but can there be any doubt after this ... can even the most ardent Yankee Hater ever doubt this again ... Mariano Rivera is the Greatest Closer who ever lived and a first ballot Hall of Famer!!

IF the man never records another out in MLB ... IF the man never tosses another pitch ... Mariano Rivera is the Greatest Closer in the history of this Game, and a first ballot Hall of Famer!!

I watched the Post Game interviews ... there was one special moment when Aaron Boone and Mariano Rivera shared the same podium

Boone was asked about Mariano, with Rivera sitting to his immediate left, and Boone said something to the effect of ... there is no other man I would want to hand the ball to in that spot

Mariano, who is the most humble Great Player I have ever seen, who has never touted himself or his own exploits, even in jest, turned to Aaron Boone and proclaimed {in jest} ... "YOU BETTER SAY THAT"

That may have been the first time Mariano has given us even a peek into his soul ... deep down inside, in places he doesn't talk about, Mariano Rivera knows that the Good Lord as blessed him with a gift ... the gift to throw a baseball better than any Closer that has ever played this Game!!

Aaron Boone ... Brandon Who????

When you get that kinda hit in that kinda Game ... I don't care if Claussen becomes a 20 Game Winner, this deal has been justified ... TEN FOLD!!

A Walk-off HR in the bottom of the 11th ... Game 7 ... verses the Boston Red Sox ... in the ALCS ... ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!!

This man just hit one of the most memorable HR's in YANKEE HISTORY!!

This was bigger than Dent ... BIGGER THAN DENT!!

When Dent hit his famous HR verses Boston there was a trip to the ALCS on the line

When Boone hit his famous HR verses Boston {and trust me, they will be talkin about this one long after we are dead & buried}, there was a trip to the World Series on the line ... Case Closed

Mike Mussina ... how's that for redemption?

Let me be clear ... IF there is no Mike Mussina in that Game, there is no pennant to celebrate last nite ... there is only PAIN

Derek Jeter ... starts the rally in the 8th with a Double ... what else is new

Bernie Williams ... turns back the clock and delivers a HUGE HIT when it was DO or DIE ... what else is new

Hedeki Matsui ... rips an 0-2 Double when it was DO or DIE ... adds his name to Yankee Post Season lore

Jorge Posada ... how satisfying was this?

Delivers the KEY BLOW off the man who only days earlier was threatening to drill him in the head ... YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS STUFF UP!!

Folks, IF you wrote that in a book you would be laughed at ... too sappy, the publisher would proclaim ... get back to the drawing board

And then it was Mariano to Boone

One man silenced the bats ... until the other man exploded with his bat

One mighty swing ...

Ball-Game Over ... American League Championship Series Over ... YANKEES WIN, THAAAAAAAAAAA YANKEES WIIIIIINNNNN!

ENTER SANDMAN

Banned
    Green jets you have a real flair for writing dramatic sports prose. Excellent.

Its just too bad that the powers that be around here cater to the tantrums of bitter mets and red sox fans.

It's funny they don't want posts on what may have been one of the all-time great NY sporting events yet they'll post all day long about playing Madden video games. Kinda weird.

Tail, at least we're still talkin baseball ... we are in the World Series, baby!!!!!

Back in the World Series ... for the 39th Time

And now we shoot for #27 ... doesn't get better than this ... does not get better than this

Banned
    My guess is that Wells will be the starter in Game 1 of the series.

Originally posted by tailgators@Oct 17 2003, 03:09 PM
    My guess is that Wells will be the starter in Game 1 of the series.
    I know you are gonna snap when I say this ... but I would start Weaver in Game One

Hope a blind squirrel can find a nut ... and take the loss if need be

I think it's important that we get our rotation back on it's normal rest for this series, so I am willing to sacrifice Game One if need be ... to get that done

But again, then we can hope the blind squirrel finds a nut ... or that the Yankee offense can win a slugfest

Sort of the way Boston needed to start Wakefield in Game One ... and came away with a win

PS. I wouldn't start Contreras cause we need him in the pen ... he may be imperfect, but he's the best middle-man we have

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Ham

I think you should be writing for some national publication!!

I truly enjoy your post!!

Even though your emotions get the best out of you once in awhile!! :lol:

But don't we all!! :ph34r:

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by tailgators@Oct 17 2003, 02:50 PM
    Green jets you have a real flair for writing dramatic sports prose. Excellent.

Its just too bad that the powers that be around here cater to the tantrums of bitter mets and red sox fans.

It's funny they don't want posts on what may have been one of the all-time great NY sporting events yet they'll post all day long about playing Madden video games. Kinda weird.
    Maybe, just maybe if you weren't such a baby this wouldn't have happened and maybe if there weren't more baseball posts than football posts ON A FOOTBALL MESSAGE BOARD!!!!!! This wouldn't have happened.....People were starting threads for the sake of starting a thread.......and besides, whether you want to hear this or not, nobody cares about the Yankees but Yankee fans..........Just like when the Yankees and Mets were in the WS series half of America couldn't care less and didn't even watch the games......it's the truth and the truth hurts.......I didn't like hearing it back then either but that's life.......you deal with it.......

You should have showed some class like Shawn306, Green Jets and Ham, JonE and a few others that took the handshake and said thank you and said something nice about the Sox instead of being a jerk and saying negative things........I thought you were better than this but obviously I was wrong......

Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham@Oct 17 2003, 03:03 PM
    Tail, at least we're still talkin baseball ... we are in the World Series, baby!!!!!

Back in the World Series ... for the 39th Time

And now we shoot for #27 ... doesn't get better than this ... does not get better than this
    Great writing man. You should print that out and send it to some National publications (Sports Illustrated, etc.) They will love it!

Think about this other post of yours.....39 appearances in the World Series. All within the past 81 years! That's over 48% of the time!!!

26 victories, soon to be 27...........That's exactly .33% of the time!!

Mind-Boggling, and that's putting it mildly.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

you guys should like this...