Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hey Bush!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well this tread has sure taken an interesting detour.

I do agree with 5-ever on one point, and that is society was much better off when most mothers were at home raising their own children. The condition we have today of children being raised by and large in Schools and Day Care centers has in my view been the biggest contributor to the breakdown of American families and represents one of the worst sociological changes we've had in the last 40 years or so.

My question is why? Why did this happen? What was the driving force that drove American mothers out of their homes and into the workforce? Unlike WWII when we needed "Rosie the Riveter" to build the ships and planes because the men were off fighting a war, there was no apparent shortage in the workforce. So what was it?

Was it women striving to be independant? Was it wives choosing to have a career? Was it economic conditions? Or was it "Big Business" realizing that it could almost double the workforce without increasing the overall % of what it spent for payrolls.

I think it was all of the above. I also think that "Big Business" benefitted most from it.

I remember as a boy that many of my mother's friends were getting jobs and buying so-called luxury items or trips. In other words it seemed like they were choosing to work to get the little extra's in life. Today most families don't have a choice and critically depend on both incomes for survival. What changed?

To me the segment of our society that's the most sophisticated at recognizing and capitolizing on social trends is big business. It's what they do best. It's the edge they have to recognize opportunities before other people and develop markets where none existed before.

Now do I think there was a conspiracy or a secret meeting of "Big Business Leaders" to organize this? No of course not. This was an evolutionary process and happened before most people realized it.

In my view this social trend is classic supply and demand. With more people entering the workforce the supply has outpaced the demand and has held wages in check. As a result, for families to have the same buying power today as they had 40 years ago it requires two incomes instead of one.

Meanwhile, our children and our society as a whole suffer for it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tail - I think a pig just flew right by my window!!! :D

That is a [i]damn[/i] good post. I like your ideas, I just think feminism contributed a lot, too. I think the feminist movement pounced on abortion as its rallying cry, since maternity leave and things like that weren't around and businesses were not likely to promote women when the flight risk was high, especially early in the Gilded Age. Hell, some businesses wouldn't hire women because of the baby risk, or, if they did, they'd pay them nothing. The primary life-goals of women ceased to concern being a good wife and mother, and included professional success as a replacement or supplement to that. Women used to be content to be good wives and mothers and many still are. Some are not. Some of this can be seen as a sort of natural progression from women's sufferage and in a lot of ways, feminism had noble ideological foundations since yes, women were treated in somewhat of a second-class nature. It's a complex, puzzling issue to examine....

I disagree only slightly in that most dual-income families "have" to be that way. I don't doubt that most 'think" they have to be that way, but in reality they don't. But otherwise you are dead on, IMO.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by MARYLAND JET+Oct 21 2003, 09:50 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (MARYLAND JET @ Oct 21 2003, 09:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--bitonti[/i]@Oct 21 2003, 04:18 PM
    [b] hey i got an idea how about you build a school in North Philly or the Bronx or Watts or East St Louis you rat bastards&#33; Why are our tax dollars being spent more freely in Karbala then here in the States? Cause of 9-11???

Even GOPers should be ashamed at the level of spending and more than that what its getting us&#33; [/b][/quote]
    Yeah.....I&#39;m a conservative and I&#39;m ashamed all right.....I&#39;m ashamed that we have so many people in the U.S who feel the only way to fix the education system is just to throw more money at it, we already spend more per capita than anyone on the face of the earth and our students test scores are middle of the road at best but you advocate tossing even more taxpayer money into a system that certainly doesn&#39;t give us any bang for the buck, I don&#39;t get it ?.

Maybe, just maybe we can look at innovative ways to try to correct the problem instead of just tossing our hard earned money down the same bottomless ineffective money pit ....but nooooooooo.....the teachers unions who the democratic party is beholden to want no part of anything like school vouchers or anything else that may actually begin to turn around the present bad situation, all they want is to whine and complain they&#39;re underpaid and need more money.

Why we even listen to the teachers union about what&#39;s in the best interest of our kids is amazing to me because the teachers unions care about themselves and only themselves to the detriment of the actual kids..... how can I say this ?.....well.....I&#39;ll quote the former head of the teachers union who when asked if a particular position he was advocating was gonna hurt kids stated " I&#39;ll start worrying about the kids when they start paying union dues ", all I can say is atleast he&#39;s honest.

You can complain all you want about the money were spending in Iraq but I&#39;d rather spend the money there to get rid of a terrorist enabler like Hussein and help 90 % of his population to a better way of life, while, hopefully providing an example for the rest of the middle east by showing them how good life can be if you give people freedom and allow them to chart their own course in life, My hope is once people in Iran, Syria etc...see how the people of Iraq are in better shape they&#39;ll question their own governments and if you get enough people to in those countries to realize that their governments are taking the people and countries in the wrong direction then maybe with support from us they&#39;ll overthrow these terrorist supporting regimes and real change in the world can begin to take place.

Maybe that all is a pipe dream but it sounds like a better investment to me than just tossing even more money into a school system with a proven track record of failure, I&#39;ll be all for giving the schools even more money if they&#39;d just convince me that more money will actually help the students get better grades. [/b][/quote]
    But hey don&#39;t you know that&#39;s the liberal way...keep throwing money into an empty pit, accept no responsability and point the finger at everyone else&#33; Just look at the libs on this board&#33;

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by tailgators[/i]@Oct 21 2003, 03:30 PM
    [b] Have any of Iraq&#39;s massive stockpile of WMD&#39;s turned up yet?

No&#33; :o

Didn&#39;t think so. <_<

How long are some of you willing to wait?

According to CAP Bush, in March these so-called weapons were poised to strike at a moments notice, now there&#39;s no sign of them.

It&#39;s too bad CAP Bush got so many of our fine soldiers killed for this scavenger hunt. [/b][/quote]
    Saddam has killed thousands of people, including his own Iraqis&#33;&#33;&#33; That to me is "Mass Destruction." If you don&#39;t consider the guns, knives, and chemical weapons to be "WMDs" then you must at least agree that Saddam himself is a "WMD"

If not, then you are a typical liberal who hopes that the USA loses this war on terror and that the economy goes from mild upswing from recession to full blown depression if it means voters will take your kind seriously again. Either way, you and your ilk make me wanna puke

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by NY SackExchange[/i]@Oct 25 2003, 06:36 PM
    [b] Saddam has killed thousands of people, including his own Iraqis&#33;&#33;&#33; That to me is "Mass Destruction." If you don&#39;t consider the guns, knives, and chemical weapons to be "WMDs" then you must at least agree that Saddam himself is a "WMD"

[/b][/quote]
    Sack...Your pathetic and typically weak minded rationalization makes me sick.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by tailgators+Oct 25 2003, 11:35 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (tailgators @ Oct 25 2003, 11:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--NY SackExchange[/i]@Oct 25 2003, 06:36 PM
    [b] Saddam has killed thousands of people, including his own Iraqis&#33;&#33;&#33; That to me is "Mass Destruction." If you don&#39;t consider the guns, knives, and chemical weapons to be "WMDs" then you must at least agree that Saddam himself is a "WMD"

[/b][/quote]
    Sack...Your pathetic and typically weak minded rationalization makes me sick. [/b][/quote]
    tailgators...you don&#39;t know how glad I am that I can make you sick&#33;

you are truly the Saddam Hussein of this board.

Bush/Cheney in &#39;04 is a lock...JonEJinx can even predict that one

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by NY SackExchange+Oct 26 2003, 02:20 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (NY SackExchange @ Oct 26 2003, 02:20 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>[quote]Originally posted by -tailgators@Oct 25 2003, 11:35 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--NY SackExchange[/i]@Oct 25 2003, 06:36 PM

[/b][/quote]
    Sack...Your pathetic and typically weak minded rationalization makes me sick. [/b][/quote]
    tailgators...you don&#39;t know how glad I am that I can make you sick&#33;

Bush/Cheney in &#39;04 is a lock...JonEJinx can even predict that one[/b][/quote]
    But Sack, don&#39;t you know that is the liberal way?? (Being total hypocrites?). When blowjob bill clinton circumvents the [b]U[/b]seless [b]N[/b]otion and illegally bombs Kosovo, to save muslims none the less, well then its&#39; okay on [i]humanitarian[/i] terms.

Yet when President Bush takes on Iraq and Hussien for much the same reason and too protect America ([i]God forbid[/i])....well that&#39;s just wrong.

Isn&#39;t pathetic to listen to democ[b]RATS[/b] berate the President for incorrectly fighting the war on terror? Their hero from the previous administration didn&#39;t do a f^ckin thing about the terrorists that hit us from &#39;92-2000??&#33;&#33;

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by NY SackExchange[/i]@Oct 26 2003, 02:20 AM
    [b] tailgators...you don&#39;t know how glad I am that I can make you sick&#33;

[/b][/quote]
    Sack...I&#39;m an American Patriot who believes that the United States colonialization of Iraq is a disaster for our nation.

I&#39;m guessing that you&#39;re a young man, probably in your twenties. If so, put your money where your mouth is, join the ARMY and go over to Iraq. Of course you won&#39;t, because its easier for you to live w/ your parents and post cowardly and idiotic messages on the internet.

You&#39;re a pathetic tool, and not the sharpest one in the shed at that.

Grow up.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by tailgators+Oct 26 2003, 12:20 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (tailgators @ Oct 26 2003, 12:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--NY SackExchange[/i]@Oct 26 2003, 02:20 AM
    [b] tailgators...you don&#39;t know how glad I am that I can make you sick&#33;

[/b][/quote]
    Sack...I&#39;m an American Patriot who believes that the United States colonialization of Iraq is a disaster for our nation.

I&#39;m guessing that you&#39;re a young man, probably in your twenties. If so, put your money where your mouth is, join the ARMY and go over to Iraq. Of course you won&#39;t, because its easier for you to live w/ your parents and post cowardly and idiotic messages on the internet.

You&#39;re a pathetic tool, and not the sharpest one in the shed at that.

Grow up. [/b][/quote]
    [i]I&#39;m an American Patriot who believes that the United States colonialization of Iraq is a disaster for our nation.
    [/i]

More liberal BS....its&#39; sad you are a Jets fan; I could see this from a Dolphins fan&#33;