Thread: I must be imagining things.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I could swear I just saw Soriano take a walk instead of waving weakly at a high, outside fastball.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Soriano must be racking up his almost 40/40 numbers against inferior regular season bad pitching. In the postseason, any pitcher with a brain and a plan(THROW HIM BREAKING CRAP) can get him to get himself out. There's no thinking, no method, just wild swinging at EVERYTHING. When you get into the playoffs, you're not going to face that Rays/Orioles/Tigers Triple A pitching staffs, but pitchers who know what they're doing and have read scouting reports.He may not see a fastball the rest of his career. Unless he's willing to radically change his apporach at the plate and move to the outfield, they should trade him while he still has some value. Reminds me a lot of Juan Samuel-a lot of early success, but once pitchers figured him out, easy to pitch to.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You make some excellent points about Soriano. The thought has crossed my mind that maybe we should trade him to the Royals for Beltran, if KC gived the Yanks 72 hours to hammer out a deal with him. Royals get a 25 year old who will only cost 2 million in arb. next year, with excellent talent. Yankees get their next CF, who is a power guy with speed and an arm. The age difference is only 3 years.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by mbn007@Oct 22 2003, 09:08 AM
    You make some excellent points about Soriano. The thought has crossed my mind that maybe we should trade him to the Royals for Beltran, if KC gived the Yanks 72 hours to hammer out a deal with him. Royals get a 25 year old who will only cost 2 million in arb. next year, with excellent talent. Yankees get their next CF, who is a power guy with speed and an arm. The age difference is only 3 years.
    Under no circumstance so you trade Sori....just WAY too much talent there.

I blame Sori's demise this postseason on Rick down. Not only Sori, but the entire team is swinging too early in the count....not working it at all!! This may be the WORDT hitting Yankee playoff team in some time!!

Keep Sori.......bat him 7th....and sign a 2nd baseman/leadoff hitter that puts Sori in CF, with Bernie sliding over to right!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JonEJet@Oct 22 2003, 01:20 PM
    I blame Sori's demise this postseason on Rick down. Not only Sori, but the entire team is swinging too early in the count....not working it at all!! This may be the WORDT hitting Yankee playoff team in some time!!

I've been saying this for weeks now. This team has ZERO plate discipline and they swing at everything. The trademark of all the past Yankee championship teams has been patience. Working the count and waiting for your pitch or for a mistake pitch to drive. This team may win a ring but they still drive me crazy.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JonEJet+Oct 22 2003, 09:20 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JonEJet @ Oct 22 2003, 09:20 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--mbn007@Oct 22 2003, 09:08 AM

I blame Sori&#39;s demise this postseason on Rick down. Not only Sori, but the entire team is swinging too early in the count....not working it at all&#33;&#33; This may be the WORDT hitting Yankee playoff team in some time&#33;&#33;

Keep Sori.......bat him 7th....and sign a 2nd baseman/leadoff hitter that puts Sori in CF, with Bernie sliding over to right&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]
    It&#39;s a fair point. However, Beltran isn&#39;t exactly chopped liver either. And Soriano has not shown any improvement in his approach to taking pitches in his 3 seasons in the majors.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would not even entertain the thought of trading Soriano

These are the growing pains of a young hitter ... he&#39;ll develop patience and a better eye ... and when he does, he&#39;ll be another A-Rod

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Soriano&#39;s talent is undeniable.But talent can only go so far, and right now he&#39;s coasting on it. But there are 2 ways his career can go from here-either he develops a better batting eye, patience, and a consistent business-like approach to his at bats and works hard to become a better fielder(what ever position he winds up at). Or he continues on sheer talent and nothing else.Strangely, an example of a great talent becoming a student of the game is right next to him. It&#39;s something Derek Jeter did. He came up with a reputation for striking out and poor fielding. And now he&#39;s the most patient hitter in baseball and a solid fielder.

As I said above, there are guys like Juan Samuel who can coast on this talent for a long, but still limited, time, but that is really wasting how much more that talent can become if Soriano works hard. If that is the road Soriano winds up on, the Yankees will have no choice but to get rid of him on some poor unsuspecting team (like when the Phillies duped the Mets into giving up a very-productive Len Dykstra for Samuel). Because if he continues to get himself out, there will come a time when his raw talent won&#39;t mean very much against any brain-functioinng pitcher with a decent breaking ball.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let&#39;s face it, right now we are trying to win a WS with ZERO from the lead-off position

Soriano&#39;s AB, after Clemens blooped a base hit, was as awful as any AB he has had during this entire post season ... and that&#39;s saying an awful lot

Swung at the first pitch ... three feet outside and in the dirt

Swung at the second pitch ... three feet high and inside

Swung at the third pitch ... three feet outside and in the dirt

Right now he is simply deciding, before the pitch is even thrown, that it is going to be a strike and he is going to hack ... before the pitch is even thrown

You can see that as clear as day ... cause anyone who is looking for a pitch to hit, a pitch in his zone, would take those pitches if he were blind-folded ... even Soriano

But right now the man is lost ... completely lost ... just hoping the ball makes contact with his bat

Swingin from his heels ... and HOPING the ball finds his bat

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Have to say...this team shows a TON of heart&#33;&#33;

Win or lose tonite....excellent effort&#33;&#33;

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Since Sooth has sent us out to this forum/asylum....with nobody ever on......guess I&#39;ll just have to talk to myself&#33;&#33;

Looks like Contreras is back to his old self after the brain fart against Beantown

Smokin baby&#33;&#33;

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    We are winning baseball games dispite Soriano and Giambi&#33;&#33;&#33; At this point....they both look HORIBLE&#33;&#33;&#33;

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JonEJet@Oct 22 2003, 09:20 AM

Keep Sori.......bat him 7th....and sign a 2nd baseman/leadoff hitter that puts Sori in CF, with Bernie sliding over to right&#33;&#33;
    So you are telling me that you want to move Soriano to CF and Bernie, who can&#39;t reach home from shallow CF is going to reach 3rd base from RF.

You are kidding right.

Soriano is gone after this year, and the Yankees will sign this "great player" from Japan.

I don&#39;t remember his name, but I read about him when reading about what Matsui says is compitition in Japan.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    His name is Matsui&#33;&#33;

No way shape or form do you let Sori go&#33;&#33;

DH him&#33;

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JonEJet+Oct 22 2003, 09:20 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JonEJet @ Oct 22 2003, 09:20 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--mbn007@Oct 22 2003, 09:08 AM

I blame Sori&#39;s demise this postseason on Rick down. Not only Sori, but the entire team is swinging too early in the count....not working it at all&#33;&#33; This may be the WORDT hitting Yankee playoff team in some time&#33;&#33;

Keep Sori.......bat him 7th....and sign a 2nd baseman/leadoff hitter that puts Sori in CF, with Bernie sliding over to right&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]
    Berniee can&#39;t play right. With his arm, every runner will automatically take 2 bases on a single, and a shot down the line scores the runner from first all the time.

I realize Sori has loads of upside, but maybe his head isn&#39;t in it. Beltran, and a top young pitcher would work for me.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JonEJet@Oct 22 2003, 11:40 PM
    We are winning baseball games dispite Soriano and Giambi&#33;&#33;&#33; At this point....they both look HORIBLE&#33;&#33;&#33;
    Quietly, Bernie is having a solid World Series. MAtsui and Jeter also are, although both were off in game 4. I&#39;ll bet anything Jeter comes up big tonight though.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JonEJet@Oct 22 2003, 11:55 PM
    His name is Matsui&#33;&#33;

No way shape or form do you let Sori go&#33;&#33;

DH him&#33;
    DH Soriano....Caus he is hitting the Sh&#33;t out of the ball...

He never strike outs...and has been coming up with the clutch hit during this post season...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Bleed Green+Oct 22 2003, 11:46 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Bleed Green @ Oct 22 2003, 11:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--JonEJet@Oct 22 2003, 09:20 AM

Keep Sori.......bat him 7th....and sign a 2nd baseman/leadoff hitter that puts Sori in CF, with Bernie sliding over to right&#33;&#33;
    So you are telling me that you want to move Soriano to CF and Bernie, who can&#39;t reach home from shallow CF is going to reach 3rd base from RF.

You are kidding right.

Soriano is gone after this year, and the Yankees will sign this "great player" from Japan.

I don&#39;t remember his name, but I read about him when reading about what Matsui says is compitition in Japan. [/b][/quote]
    That Matsui kid...no relation to Hideki, I guess Matsui it is like "Smith" over there...is a shortstop. If anything, the Yanks will insert Little Matsui at second, move Soriano to CF, and Bernie to the left side of the bench.