Thread: why the yanks will win

Hall Of Fame
    Beckett should NOT go Game 6. With Pettitte taking the mound the Marlins should concede that this will only ever go to a game 7 and that is when you will need Beckett. The stage is set for Pettitte to win a low scoring game 6, maybe 2-1, thanks to Rivera coming in to seal this and go to game 7. Unless the Marlins have their stud going in 7 there is NO WAY the yanks lose a game 7 world series in the Bronx. No way. Then all we'll hear is how resiliant this team is, blah blah blah, how gutsy, blah blah blah, never say die, blah blah blah, the mystique, blah blah blah. Meanwhile Queer Eye outscores the world series in tv ratings as this yawnfest grinds to a climax of paint-drying proportions.

And yes JonE, tailgators, GJ&H, I am a bitter Red Sox fan right now. Don't bore us with highlighting the obvious. Just get this over with and give me the damn return on my yanks to win series $100 bet.

Btw, I used to think Red Sox fans were fickle but here is last week in yankee eyes:

Thursday am: we suck. Torre stinks. Giambi is useless.
    Thursday pm/early Friday am: we are awesome! Torre is the man. Giambi is clutch! Hooray! We're untouchable!
    Saturday pm: what happened? We had no desire. Booo!
    Monday am: Ha ha! There we go, we rule, what passion the yanks have. Hooray!
    Tuesday pm/early Wed am: told you. The yanks are the best. Torre is legend, we're great!
    Early thursday am: What the hell is Torre thinking!!? Weaver sucks! Giambi sucks, Soriano sucks! Boooo.
    Thursday pm: David Wells can kiss my ass, and so can Torre, Giambi, and Soriano. We're vulnerable.
    Cue yankee game 7 win and cries of "I knew all along!!", and "never doubted the yanks for a second!"

But actually. After a yankee loss in the post season you guys are very quiet. The silence after lastnight is very loud. I still think you guys will do it. And why? Because as much as it pains me, you guys are resiliant, gutsy and there is a mystique to the yanks in the bronx during a world series.
    :wacko:

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Sounds like us Jets fans too........

Hall Of Fame
    History says the Yankees win tonight.The Marlins are in EXACTLY the same situation as the 1973 Mets. Ask Yogi Berra(God Bless'em), who moved up Tom Seaver from 4 to 3 days of rest and paid the price, how that turned out. NOT GOOD. MCKeon is making the same exact mistake.If Pettitte pitches well, Beckett will be out of the game by the end of the 5th.

Series Games

Game 1

October 13, 1973 at Oakland Coliseum (Oakland Athletics)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 R H E
    - - - - - - - - - - - -
    New York Mets 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 7 2
    Oakland Athletics 0 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 X 2 4 0

PITCHERS: NYM - Matlack, McGraw (7)
    OAK - Holtzman, Fingers (6), Knowles (9)

WP - Holtzman
    LP - Matlack
    SAVE - Knowles

HOME RUNS: NYM - none
    OAK - none

ATTENDANCE: 46,021

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Game 2

October 14, 1973 at Oakland Coliseum (Oakland Athletics)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 R H E
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    New York Mets 0 1 1 0 0 4 0 0 0 0 0 4 10 15 1
    Oakland Athletics 2 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 2 0 0 1 7 13 5

PITCHERS: NYM - Koosman, Sadecki (3), Parker (5), McGraw (6), Stone (12)
    OAK - Blue, Pina (6), Knowles (6), Odom (8), Fingers (10), Lindblad (12)

WP - McGraw
    LP - Fingers
    SAVE - Stone

HOME RUNS: NYM - Jones, Garrett
    OAK - none

ATTENDANCE: 49,151

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Game 3

October 16, 1973 at Shea Stadium (New York Mets)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 R H E
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Oakland Athletics 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 1 3 10 1
    New York Mets 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 10 2

PITCHERS: OAK - Hunter, Knowles (7), Lindblad (9), Fingers (11)
    NYM - Seaver, Sadecki (9), McGraw (9), Parker (11)

WP - Lindblad
    LP - Parker
    SAVE - Fingers

HOME RUNS: OAK - none
    NYM - Garrett

ATTENDANCE: 54,817

Game 4

October 17, 1973 at Shea Stadium (New York Mets)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 R H E
    - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Oakland Athletics 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 5 1
    New York Mets 3 0 0 3 0 0 0 0 X 6 13 1

PITCHERS: OAK - Holtzman, Odom (1), Knowles (4), Pina (5), Lindblad (8)
    NYM - Matlack, Sadecki (9)

WP - Matlack
    LP - Holtzman
    SAVE - Sadecki

NYM - Staub

Game 5

October 18, 1973 at Shea Stadium (New York Mets)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 R H E
    - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Oakland Athletics 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 3 1
    New York Mets 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 X 2 7 1

PITCHERS: OAK - Blue, Knowles (6), Fingers (7)
    NYM - Koosman, McGraw (7)

WP - Koosman
    LP - Blue
    SAVE - McGraw

NYM - none

Game 6

October 20, 1973 at Oakland Coliseum (Oakland Athletics)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 R H E
    - - - - - - - - - - - -
    New York Mets 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 6 2
    Oakland Athletics 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 X 3 7 0

PITCHERS: NYM - Seaver, McGraw (6)
    OAK - Hunter, Knowles (8), Fingers (8)

WP - Hunter
    LP - Seaver
    SAVE - Fingers

OAK - none

ATTENDANCE: 49,333

Game 7

October 21, 1973 at Oakland Coliseum (Oakland Athletics)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 R H E
    - - - - - - - - - - - -
    New York Mets 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 2 8 1
    Oakland Athletics 0 0 4 0 1 0 0 0 X 5 9 1

PITCHERS: NYM - Matlack, Parker (3), Sadecki (5), Stone (7)
    OAK - Holtzman, Fingers (6), Knowles (9)

WP - Holtzman
    LP - Matlack
    SAVE - Knowles

OAK - Campaneris, Jackson

ATTENDANCE: 49,333

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

If you are the Marlins....no way you want to go to 7 games at Yankee Stadium...NO WAY IN HELL!!

Enter their best pitcher for game 6...Beckett

Although risky......this guy has the potential to shut the Yanks down for 7 to 8 innings.

This is when I feel the Yanks have a huge advantage......The Yanks have shown they can hit Fox, Looper, and Urbina.

Even with Pettitte on the mound tonite....if the Marlins throw out Beckett....they have to be favored!!

The only question is HOW LONG does McKeon stick with him.......if we continue to swing at every first pitch.....if we continue to not be selective....if we don't work the count, it'll be tough!!

I have faith though.

Only problem is if The Yanks win tonite.....all of New York will think that the Marlins will just concede....they have far too much fight....although the Yanks are a much better team!! IMO

SJ

Soriano sucks right now....period!!

Hall Of Fame
    The big change from the beginning of this run in 1996 until now is that the Yankees of old(O'Neill, Knoblauch, Tino, Brosius) even when they weren't hitting the cover off the ball worked the count and wore starters down. Soriano, Boone and Gimabi don't do that. Jeter, Williams, Matsui, Posada and Johnson do, but if the whole team doesn't buy into the plan, it may not be enough. If you don't get some of those 12-pitch at-bats against Beckett early, he'll last well into the 7th or 8th, such that the liability of the Marlins' bullpen never becomes an issue.

Maxman
    Scottish:
    I agree with you man. They should have saved Beckett for game 7 on full rest. These pitchers today never pitch on short rest. But yet they are asked to do it in the biggest games of their careers.

The other reason the Yankees will win tonight is because I just scored (bought on EBay) tickets for Game 7. It has to happen!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by Maxman@Oct 25 2003, 12:35 PM
    Scottish:
    I agree with you man. They should have saved Beckett for game 7 on full rest. These pitchers today never pitch on short rest. But yet they are asked to do it in the biggest games of their careers.

The other reason the Yankees will win tonight is because I just scored (bought on EBay) tickets for Game 7. It has to happen!
    He's alive.......ALIVE!!

Maxman
    Originally posted by JonEJet+Oct 25 2003, 12:40 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JonEJet @ Oct 25 2003, 12:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Maxman@Oct 25 2003, 12:35 PM
    Scottish:

The other reason the Yankees will win tonight is because I just scored (bought on EBay) tickets for Game 7. It has to happen&#33;
    He&#39;s alive.......ALIVE&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]
    I am alive. The doctors say my prognosis for a full recovery is excellent.

Okay nothing was actually wrong with me. I just had to get away from here for awhile. The negativity was killing me.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by Maxman@Oct 25 2003, 01:36 PM

Okay nothing was actually wrong with me. I just had to get away from here for awhile. The negativity was killing me.
    It has been positive since we oustered the Sawx&#33;&#33;&#33;

WE MISS YOU MAX&#33;&#33;&#33;

Maxman
    Originally posted by JonEJet+Oct 25 2003, 01:45 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JonEJet @ Oct 25 2003, 01:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Maxman@Oct 25 2003, 01:36 PM

It has been positive since we oustered the Sawx&#33;&#33;&#33;

WE MISS YOU MAX&#33;&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]
    LOL.

Sometimes this board can be FLUSTRATING. LOL.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

MLB has to be happy with these playoffs. They are going to get a Game 7 of The World Series in Yankee Stadium. It&#39;s going to be another championship for us when sunday night is through. I will be at the parade. Can&#39;t wait.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by YoungJetsFan@Oct 25 2003, 04:57 PM
    MLB has to be happy with these playoffs. They are going to get a Game 7 of The World Series in Yankee Stadium. It&#39;s going to be another championship for us when sunday night is through. I will be at the parade. Can&#39;t wait.
    Yeah they are happy with the playoffs, but not the world series. Veeeeeeeeery boring. Yawn.

Originally posted by ScottishJet+Oct 25 2003, 05:56 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ScottishJet @ Oct 25 2003, 05:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--YoungJetsFan@Oct 25 2003, 04:57 PM
    Yeah they are happy with the playoffs, but not the world series. Veeeeeeeeery boring. Yawn. [/b][/quote]
    Usually I read a book to go to sleep...this past week, I have been simply turning on the Ho-hum World Series to do the trick.

Geez...I would rather watch paint dry&#33;

MLB really blew it. The whole world would have been watching Red Sox-Cubs. The Yankees and Marlins are having trouble selling out the ballpark

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by NY SackExchange+Oct 25 2003, 06:22 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (NY SackExchange @ Oct 25 2003, 06:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -ScottishJet@Oct 25 2003, 05:56 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin--YoungJetsFan
    @Oct 25 2003, 04:57 PM

Yeah they are happy with the playoffs, but not the world series. Veeeeeeeeery boring. Yawn.
    Usually I read a book to go to sleep...this past week, I have been simply turning on the Ho-hum World Series to do the trick.

MLB really blew it. The whole world would have been watching Red Sox-Cubs. The Yankees and Marlins are having trouble selling out the ballpark [/b][/quote]
    Hey NYMESSFAN

Too fuc*ing bad&#33;&#33;

Originally posted by Maxman@Oct 25 2003, 12:35 PM
    Scottish:

The other reason the Yankees will win tonight is because I just scored (bought on EBay) tickets for Game 7. It has to happen&#33;
    Good call Maxman...maybe the Jankees could have benefitted if you had only stayed in hiding a little longer...

between you coming back, YoungJetsFan predicting a win, and JonEJinx even being 20 miles within the radius of his hardrive...

WHAT CHANCE DID NYY HAVE???

bet you didn&#39;t think Jet/BosoxFan had more posts on JI than you this month

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHA

Originally posted by JonEJet+Oct 25 2003, 07:28 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JonEJet @ Oct 25 2003, 07:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -NY SackExchange@Oct 25 2003, 06:22 PM
    Originally posted by -ScottishJet@Oct 25 2003, 05:56 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin--YoungJetsFan
    @Oct 25 2003, 04:57 PM

MLB really blew it. The whole world would have been watching Red Sox-Cubs. The Yankees and Marlins are having trouble selling out the ballpark
    Hey NYMESSFAN

Too fuc*ing bad&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]
    FYI JonEJinx,

The whole "Mets fan" thing was a thinly veiled mask...not that it took that much to slip by the likes of Knob the Yankee Mark and Sooth the Retard...

Not that I won&#39;t be banned again, not that I won&#39;t be back shortly thereafter&#33;&#33;&#33;

Maxman
    Originally posted by NY SackExchange+Oct 26 2003, 01:37 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (NY SackExchange @ Oct 26 2003, 01:37 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Maxman@Oct 25 2003, 12:35 PM
    Scottish:

Good call Maxman...maybe the Jankees could have benefitted if you had only stayed in hiding a little longer...

between you coming back, YoungJetsFan predicting a win, and JonEJinx even being 20 miles within the radius of his hardrive...

WHAT CHANCE DID NYY HAVE???

bet you didn&#39;t think Jet/BosoxFan had more posts on JI than you this month

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHA [/b][/quote]
    Wow I missed this whole thing. Welcome back Jet/Bosox. Congrats on the Boston loss. Congrats on the Yankees loss. Those are the 2 things that seem to make you the most happy.

BWA-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I will look for you with your new signon name...GRADY_LITTLE

Same here Maxman.

Way to go BlowSox fan. Nice to see you again. Hope you beat out the Orioles in 2004 for 2nd place.