Thread: Everyone expects the Yanks to win the WS

This is my observation. It has become quite apparent that it's MLB fans vs. Yankees Fans when it comes to the World Series. It doesn't matter who it is, as long as some team beats the New York Yankees. It's almost like they're elated that there is a team like the Yankees. So instead of *****ing and moaning about their team and having to wait until the next season they just hop on the bandwagon of whatever team is hot and has the best chance versus the New York Yankees. It's flattering that so many people worry about our team so much that they temporarily change alliances JUST for the Yanks to lose.

For example does anyone care about last years World Series? No not really, the Angels beat...who was it again..I can't remember. You want to know why that World Series will never be remembered? It's because the Yankees weren't involved. I bet any baseball fan could tell me who played and won the 2001 World Series though.

So as much as you hate the Yankees, you secretly LOVE them because it gives you someone to root for(against) EVERY post-season. It's just unfortunate that your lowly baseball teams have to struggle to make it to the postseason every year, while the Yankees consider the regular season more like preseason. But I guess LOTS and LOTS of money will do that. Although where was that poor a$$ excuse pre-1996? The Yanks won plenty of championships prior and I don't believe anyone was crying about it then. Also I'm sure George wasn't stingy with his money pre '96 either.

All in all, unless you are a freakin' Marlin fan (all 300 of them) please shut your god damn trap. Your team failed to make the World Series ONCE AGAIN, Congrats!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

It&#39;s better to have tried and failed...to not try at all&#33;&#33;<Sawx cough>

No comment? Maybe because we all know it&#39;s true.

JetLag

Re: Paragraph 1
    True. Granted some people have more rooting interest in the Yankees losing then others. This is not a situation that is common only to baseball. The Yanks are a team you love to hate much like the Candians were in the NHL up until the mid-80s, the Celtics up until the mid-80s and the Cowboyz. I watched about 30 minutes of the WS, 20+ came last night in the ninth inning.

Re: Paragraph 2
    I think you are partially right about this. In five years, everyone outside of Frisco and Anaheim will have to be prompted to remember. Not because it was not the Yankees, but because there was nothing memorable except Baker&#39;s kid nearly getting trampled. The Sox choke job this year in Game 7 will last longer then the 3 inning choke job the Giants had last year. There has to be drama in order for it to be meaningful like Joe Carter&#39;s blast to beat the Phillies or the Morris/Glavine? duel in 91.

Re: Paragrapgh 3
    You miss on this partially again. You are right because of the money 29 other teams will *****. Money does help, but I think the big thing is the NFL makes it worse. Although the two leagues and their structure is comparing apples to oranges, people only see that through revenue sharing the most successfull team in NFL league history is it&#39;s smallest. That is when it comes down to management. Yes, the Yanks made some good decisions over the last 7+ years, but any mistakes they make they can throw money at. 3/5ths of your starting rotation had over 700 career wins and most of them have come in other cities. That is a money fix. Another point you are a little off is the money not affecting the pre-1996 era. In 1988 the differenc ebetween the top spending team and the bottom team was 13 million. By the strike year it was upto 31 million, but 16 of the teams were within 13 million of the top spending team. This year (using USA Today,s database), the difference was 133 million. The closest team wa the Mets and they were 35 million behind. Money still mattered but the difference between the have and have nots was not as great, so it was a management issue and George meddled too much. The Yanks drought from the mid-60s (minus 1977/1978) was due to mis-management in an equal system. Is it a coincidence that the Yanks dynasty from 1920ish to 1964 ended the first year (1965) baseball held an amateur draft? No. The Yanks were so good for so long because they always had the pick of the litter and with the archaic ways teams could hold onto players, there was no Roger&#39;s leaving one team for another. If Roger did not agree to play at the pay the team dictated, he was buried in the minors. The Yanks have shown when forced to compete on an equal playing field, they are no better or worse then anyone. However, when they system is tilted their way due to money or lack of a draft they will monopolize the league.

Originally posted by PFSIKH@Oct 26 2003, 02:04 PM
    JetLag

Re: Paragraph 1
    True. Granted some people have more rooting interest in the Yankees losing then others. This is not a situation that is common only to baseball. The Yanks are a team you love to hate much like the Candians were in the NHL up until the mid-80s, the Celtics up until the mid-80s and the Cowboyz. I watched about 30 minutes of the WS, 20+ came last night in the ninth inning.

Re: Paragraph 2
    I think you are partially right about this. In five years, everyone outside of Frisco and Anaheim will have to be prompted to remember. Not because it was not the Yankees, but because there was nothing memorable except Baker&#39;s kid nearly getting trampled. The Sox choke job this year in Game 7 will last longer then the 3 inning choke job the Giants had last year. There has to be drama in order for it to be meaningful like Joe Carter&#39;s blast to beat the Phillies or the Morris/Glavine? duel in 91.

Re: Paragrapgh 3
    You miss on this partially again. You are right because of the money 29 other teams will *****. Money does help, but I think the big thing is the NFL makes it worse. Although the two leagues and their structure is comparing apples to oranges, people only see that through revenue sharing the most successfull team in NFL league history is it&#39;s smallest. That is when it comes down to management. Yes, the Yanks made some good decisions over the last 7+ years, but any mistakes they make they can throw money at. 3/5ths of your starting rotation had over 700 career wins and most of them have come in other cities. That is a money fix. Another point you are a little off is the money not affecting the pre-1996 era. In 1988 the differenc ebetween the top spending team and the bottom team was 13 million. By the strike year it was upto 31 million, but 16 of the teams were within 13 million of the top spending team. This year (using USA Today,s database), the difference was 133 million. The closest team wa the Mets and they were 35 million behind. Money still mattered but the difference between the have and have nots was not as great, so it was a management issue and George meddled too much. The Yanks drought from the mid-60s (minus 1977/1978) was due to mis-management in an equal system. Is it a coincidence that the Yanks dynasty from 1920ish to 1964 ended the first year (1965) baseball held an amateur draft? No. The Yanks were so good for so long because they always had the pick of the litter and with the archaic ways teams could hold onto players, there was no Roger&#39;s leaving one team for another. If Roger did not agree to play at the pay the team dictated, he was buried in the minors. The Yanks have shown when forced to compete on an equal playing field, they are no better or worse then anyone. However, when they system is tilted their way due to money or lack of a draft they will monopolize the league.
    I appreciate the effort and the response. One more thing I would like to add to my argument is this. If you have watched any of the post game coverage, it is pretty ridiculous. The way they are talking you would think that Yankees are some second rate team who fell into the WS by dumb luck. There&#39;s no credit given, I mean they must of done something right to get that far.

BTW I&#39;m secretly not so upset with this loss. My friend (huge Yanks fan as well) and myself were talking about this prior to the start of the WS. The Yanks might need a stretch of losing to cut the fat of these freakin bandwagonners. I was playing cards and watching the game, some other guys were rooting for the yanks as well. The game ends and I&#39;m pissed off that they lost, naturally, but when I brought it up like half hour later, their response was "Oh well, who really cares anyway." WTF?&#33;?&#33; Don&#39;t root for a team if that&#39;s going to be your response.

Jetlag, the Yankees have always been the team that the rest of the LOSERS love to hate

Losers have always envied Winners ... since the beginning of time ... this is not unique to baseball

You can go all the way back to the beginning of mankind

Anyhow, I take it as a compliment ... I love being despised by the losers ... they despise us for a darn good reason and I wouldn&#39;t have it any other way

I remember the mid 80&#39;s through the early 90&#39;s ... no-one hated us back then ... they really paid little mind to us at all ... so give me HATRED any day of the week

You see, cause I know from where the hatred eminates ... it is the losers hating the winners

Take a look at the Red Sox fans?

Celebrating the Yankees loss ... as if this can undo their own failure

Do they not understand that the Yankee fan {the true Yankee fan} will never lose the sheer joy of having beaten the Red Sox again?

Do they not understand that no loss in the WS can aliviate the ecstacy of dealing out yet another year of punnishment to the Red Sox?

1918 ... 85 Years and Counting ... Courtesy of the NY Yankees

Can a Red Sox fan even begin to comprehend how satisfying that is?

We don&#39;t need to depend on any other team to do our dirty work ... THE NY YANKEES have dealt out generations of tourment to Red Sox Nation, all by our lonesome

And does the Mets fan believe that the sheer ecstacy of beating the MUTS in the WS can ever be erased?

We had one shot at these losers in the WS, and they had one shot at us ... one shot in the history of these two organizations ... and the mighty Yankees buried them in the rubble, then popped a few hundred corks at Shea Stadium

Can the MUTS fan even begin to imagine how satisfying this is ... knowing that when it was Mano-a-Mano, the Yankees smashed their cross-town wannabes just like the knats that they are ... and that joy will never disipate

We didn&#39;t need to depend on some other team to do our dirty work ... as is always the case with the Yankees, we took care of these wannabes all by our lonesome

But the MUTS fans and the Sad Sack Red Sox fans need to root for the Marlins ... they need to beg and plead with others to fight their battles for them ... cause ultimately, when confronted with the opportunity to do it themselves, their tails shoots straight up their @&#036;&#036;es as the Yankees show them who&#39;s boss, smack them on the nose with a rolled-up newspaper, and send them right back into the oblivion from wence they came

For the Sad Sack Red Sox fan it&#39;s like Groundhog Day ... it&#39;s a recurring nightmare ... and it always ends with the Yankees kickin their collective @&#036;&#036;es

They are like Sisyphus ... always rolling that rock up the mountain, only to have it roll back down the hill when they near the peak {as it proceeds to roll over and squash them}

In this nightmare ... in their nightmare ... that Mountain {AND ROCK} has often been the Mighty Yankees ... far too often for their liking

So they latch on to a team {any team} who can actually climb the hill without stumbling ... they live vicariously through the Marlins {or anyone else}, but in their heart of hearts they know the truth ... they are like the weak little brother who is afraid of his own shadow, thus always needs to ask his big brother to fight his battles

Without a big brother the coward would be a perenial victim ... and in his heart of hearts he knows this to be true

So he can get all excited when someone fights his battles, but when he looks in the mirror ... he always sees the same ole LOSER

Brilliantly put, GJ&H