Thread: Cell Phone Cariers

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Right now I have T-Mobile and the service is terrible. I just get too many dropped calls that custmer service says they dont make good on them.

Solution: Switch carriers.

Leaning towards Nextel. Any other suggestions?

Hall Of Fame
    I have a Sprint PCS Vision phone. I like it. Great clarity, tons of range...decent choice of programs. I am happy with it. Two-year committment, no rollover of minutes, though.

It depends on what you use it for. My wife and I got the family plan with two phones. We share minutes and essentially use the phones to call each other (unlimited and free). We still use our house phone for the majority of our calls. I don't know if Sprint is the way to go if you are going to substitute a cell for your home phone, it may be pricy if you use it a lot during the weekdays cause I know the higher-end monthly packages can get towards $85, $90 per. I don't know a thing about Nextel. But if this is going to be your work phone and you are in real estate and will use it a ton, I do know that it is a great quality phone and network. In fact, they built their own network from the ground up and don't have to sub-contract in all sorts of localities like Verizon has to, for instance. Verizon has pockets where the network or signal is weak and Sprint really doesn't have that. I was up in the Catskills in Windham Mountain playing golf and used it lno problem. My prior Cingular phone couldn't even get a signal up there....

But in terms of the [i]product[/i] itself, Sprint is top-notch. Good display, great graphics, fast web and email access, cool downloads and it usually doesn't go out of service and the clarity is great. You can take pictures, it's got tons of memory, speaker-phone, etc. It charges quickly and easily and it lasts a while before it dies.

One annoying thing - it costs $35 to "activate" the phone. So - your first bill will be $40 higher than the sales guys tells you it will be and if you get two phones on the family plan, the second phone is 'free" but you still have to pay the $35 to "activate" the free phone. Annoying....

Brenjetsfan
    your area sucks in the boonies.....go VERIZON if u have them...I have Tmobile and love it in Jersey but in PA ..PEEE UUUU :[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/html/emoticons/mad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='mad.gif'>

I agree with Verizon. I'm in NY City, and Verizon is great. I had T-Mobile and more recently, AT&T. At&T is Ok, but the service has too many unclear areas. Verizon has been great for me so far.

However, if you're looking for a cheap plan, or an emergency plan, be aware that Verizon does not have one. The lowest priced plan is 39.95 (you might find a retailer offering a monthly store discount, but it is not common). You get the standard stuff, 500 minutes, unlimited nights & weekends, long distance included, free roaming (within their network, so be careful), voice mail, caller ID, etc. I like it.

Hall Of Fame
    Verizon's raoming charges can get pretty bad if you travel outside the network, like California or Vegas.

[quote][i]Originally posted by Bugg[/i]@Oct 31 2003, 12:34 PM
    [b] Verizon's raoming charges can get pretty bad if you travel outside the network, like California or Vegas. [/b][/quote]
    True enough. I mentioned that I'm a NY City guy. I do not leave the eastern half too often.

Brenjetsfan
    I have 5000 minutes anytime anywhere no roaming for $100 a month, for our job Jon, we need daytime minutes and the plan works for me!!! T-mobile

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Brenjetsfan[/i]@Oct 31 2003, 02:15 PM
    [b] I have 5000 minutes anytime anywhere no roaming for $100 a month, for our job Jon, we need daytime minutes and the plan works for me!!! T-mobile [/b][/quote]
    Most carriers have large minute plans. Like you said before in PA T-Mobile Sucks. I was thinking nextel because of the direct connect feature.

Practice Squad
    I've had good luck with Verizon, I am also in Pa.
    And regardless what state I'm in it seems to work fine.

I have Verizon and I have had AT&T and T-Mobile (when it was voicestream). I would say go with Verizon...great coverage in the NorthEast!

LL

Hall Of Fame
    I have Verizon and can't complain. I've been down to Easton, PA to see my brother's family and have never had a problem. His company just switched to verizon as well. The coverage area is good and if you are calling others with verizon phones then you'll really make out as you get loads of minutes.

[quote][i]Originally posted by jetman67[/i]@Oct 30 2003, 11:33 AM
    [b] Right now I have T-Mobile and the service is terrible. I just get too many dropped calls that custmer service says they dont make good on them.

Solution: Switch carriers.

Leaning towards Nextel. Any other suggestions? [/b][/quote]
    Wait 2-3 weeks. The FCC just finalized a law where you can switch your existing cell phone number to another carrier as of November 24th. This will make companies offer great deals in the first couple of weeks in hopes of gaining market share.

I'm in the market too, but come to find out, they all suck in one way or another. You think you're getting a good deal until your first bill comes, and what was supposed to be $39.99/month, has now turned into $65.00/month. It's ridiculous.

Let me know if you find a GOOD deal, good luck :)