Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Why, oh why are we so dependant

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wondering why America is so dependant on ME petroleum...

[SIZE=3][b]Democrats [/b]Threaten to Block Energy Bill[/SIZE]

By Tom Doggett

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - [b]Democrats[/b], Angry at being largely shut out of Republican negotiations to write a broad energy policy bill, on Thursday warned they may try to block the legislation if it harms American consumers.

An energy bill with about $16 billion in [b]tax incentives and credits for [u]oil drilling[/u], coal production, nuclear power plants, [u]electric transmission grid expansion [/u]and [u]ethanol production[/u] [/b]is a [b]top priority of the Bush administration[/b].

The legislation was resuscitated earlier this week when the White House pressured House and Senate Republicans to end a month-long fight and agree on a plan for boosting corn-based ethanol production. [b]Ethanol is an additive used to make cleaner burning gasoline and is popular among the politically important Midwestern states[/b] [i](important to midwest farmers and economies)[/i].

But Democrats said on Thursday there were other problems with the energy bill and warned they may try to talk it to death when it gets to the Senate floor.

"Let me make it very clear, there will definitely be a [b]filibuster [/b]in the Senate over a bad energy bill. There's just no question about that," Sen. Ron Wyden of Oregon said.

Wyden was joined at a Capitol Hill briefing by other Senate and House Democratic lawmakers, who complained [i](ie, blubbered like idiots)[/i] that they have been blocked by Republicans from helping to write a broad energy bill.

"The fact is, we have been in the dark throughout this process [i](clueless)[/i]," Wyden said.

Although the bill has not been made public, the Democrats said they were concerned the legislation includes language that would weaken federal clean air laws, shield MTBE fuel additive producers that pollute water supplies from [b]lawsuits [/b] [i](protect them lawsuits)[/i] and other measures that would hurt American consumers.

"I would hope there will be a filibuster," said Democratic Rep. Henry Waxman of California.

Nostrilitus said the "arrogance" of Republican negotiators who want to write the bill themselves with no input from Democrats was "outrageous."

"It is producing bad policy. It is harming this country, because their (Republican) decisions are not being thought through," he said.

"We are not at all reluctant to oppose bad energy policy," said Democratic Sen. Byron Dorgan of North Dakota.

Wyden said Democrats are willing to meet Republicans more than "half-way" [i](our way)[/i] and find "common ground" [i](our way)[/i] in coming up with a good energy bill.

But he warned Republicans not to "stiff" consumers with bad energy policy.

"We are prepared to defend the American people and say: 'This is a lousy bill. It's a bill that is detrimental to the interests of millions of Americans,"' Wyden said.

Under Senate rules, 60 votes would be needed in the 100-member chamber to end debate on the energy bill and proceed with a final vote. There are 51 Republicans in the Senate, along with 48 Democrats and Independent James Jeffords of Vermont, who normally votes with the Democrats.

Time will work in favor of the Democrats if they chose to [b]filibuster [/b]the energy bill as Congress is aiming to adjourn in about two weeks.

Before then, congressional leaders still have to schedule votes on a number of spending bills to fund the government and cannot afford to get bogged down in a multi-day Senate debate on energy legislation.

The timetable for a vote on the energy bill was unclear.

Republican Sen. Pete Domenici, the bill's manager, has promised to give House and Senate conferees a copy of the final bill 48 hours before a vote is held by a joint conference committee.

That means a committee vote could not occur until next week at the earliest, unless Domenici is pressured by Republican leaders to break his pledge. The bill would then go to the full House and Senate for a simple up-or-down vote, with lawmakers prohibited from amending the legislation.

Democrats hope to rewrite parts of the bill in the conference committee. But with Republicans in the majority, Democrats face an uphill battle in altering the legislation.

Once the joint House-Senate conference committee approves an energy bill, it goes back to each chamber for a final vote.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Weeb...What's the point of passing a bad energy bill, that would hurt American consumers?

Shouldn't the Republicans have the American consumers in the forefront of their mind?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Farm subsidies and especially ethanol are examples of profligate government waste. The famliy farm is now largely a myth that allows the government to pay subsides to Bob Dole's buddies at ADM and Conagra. Dole was the worst candidate ever. I can understand how people could look at his shopworn idea-free political hack act and actually have found Clinton preferable. But as long as Iowa has the first caucus, they'll never be yanked. And that's disgraceful of both parties. There are plenty of politicians in both parties responsible, but Dole was the driving force behind this idiocy.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Weeb there is really nothing in the new energy bill that lessens the dependence on middle eastern oil.

this isn't about energy its about politics. Had the Republicans not tried to lock out the Dems (which breeds suspicion) and maybe compromised on a point or two they wouldn't be at such an impasse.

in this case it seems almost more a matter of attitude then actual policy. The point being, the DEMS saying to GOP don't be such condecending pricks.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Nov 7 2003, 10:41 AM
    [b] Weeb there is really nothing in the new energy bill that lessens the dependence on middle eastern oil.
    [/b][/quote]
    We drill more oil here => lesser foreign oil dependance.

Stop us from drilling here, stop us from producing petroleum alternatives => same or greater foreign oil dependance.

Pretty simple.

Since when does empowering lawyers and lawsuits protect the consumer?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Spirit of Weeb+Nov 7 2003, 12:31 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Spirit of Weeb @ Nov 7 2003, 12:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--bitonti[/i]@Nov 7 2003, 10:41 AM
    [b] Weeb there is really nothing in the new energy bill that lessens the dependence on middle eastern oil.
    [/b][/quote]
    We drill more oil here => lesser foreign oil dependance.

Stop us from drilling here, stop us from producing petroleum alternatives => same or greater foreign oil dependance.

Pretty simple.

[/b][/quote]
    Just one problem, the United States doesn&#39;t have the oil reserves to meet our current needs. So drilling is not the answer, we have to begin using less fuel. One way to do that would be by increasing the CAFE standards on our vehicles. This would also benefit us by reducing the amount of air pollution.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Global Warming&#33; Global Warming&#33;

We should be mining the moon for helium-3, that&#39;s where it&#39;s at&#33;&#33;

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever[/i]@Nov 7 2003, 12:50 PM
    [b] Global Warming&#33; Global Warming&#33;

We should be mining the moon for helium-3, that&#39;s where it&#39;s at&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]
    Are you trying to make a point?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever[/i]@Nov 7 2003, 12:50 PM
    [b] Global Warming&#33; Global Warming&#33;

We should be mining the moon for helium-3, that&#39;s where it&#39;s at&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]
    on this i agree 100%&#33;

the moon is totally where its at

COLD FUSION BABY

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Bugg[/i]@Nov 6 2003, 10:30 PM
    [b] Farm subsidies and especially ethanol are examples of profligate government waste. The famliy farm is now largely a myth that allows the government to pay subsides to Bob Dole&#39;s buddies at ADM and Conagra. Dole was the worst candidate ever. I can understand how people could look at his shopworn idea-free political hack act and actually have found Clinton preferable. But as long as Iowa has the first caucus, they&#39;ll never be yanked. And that&#39;s disgraceful of both parties. There are plenty of politicians in both parties responsible, but Dole was the driving force behind this idiocy. [/b][/quote]
    That&#39;s a bunch of horsesh&#33;t....the President was never going to sign the subsidies bill for farmers. If you followed what happened the Rats got behind the bill thinking they may have a chance to swipe votes in middle America after losing the states in just about every election.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Spirit of Weeb[/i]@Nov 6 2003, 05:29 PM
    [b] Wondering why America is so dependant on ME petroleum...

[SIZE=3][b]Democrats [/b]Threaten to Block Energy Bill[/SIZE]

By Tom Doggett

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - [b]Democrats[/b], Angry at being largely shut out of Republican negotiations to write a broad energy policy bill, on Thursday warned they may try to block the legislation if it harms American consumers.

An energy bill with about &#036;16 billion in [b]tax incentives and credits for [u]oil drilling[/u], coal production, nuclear power plants, [u]electric transmission grid expansion [/u]and [u]ethanol production[/u] [/b]is a [b]top priority of the Bush administration[/b].

The legislation was resuscitated earlier this week when the White House pressured House and Senate Republicans to end a month-long fight and agree on a plan for boosting corn-based ethanol production. [b]Ethanol is an additive used to make cleaner burning gasoline and is popular among the politically important Midwestern states[/b] [i](important to midwest farmers and economies)[/i].

But Democrats said on Thursday there were other problems with the energy bill and warned they may try to talk it to death when it gets to the Senate floor.

"Let me make it very clear, there will definitely be a [b]filibuster [/b]in the Senate over a bad energy bill. There&#39;s just no question about that," Sen. Ron Wyden of Oregon said.

Wyden was joined at a Capitol Hill briefing by other Senate and House Democratic lawmakers, who complained [i](ie, blubbered like idiots)[/i] that they have been blocked by Republicans from helping to write a broad energy bill.

"The fact is, we have been in the dark throughout this process [i](clueless)[/i]," Wyden said.

Although the bill has not been made public, the Democrats said they were concerned the legislation includes language that would weaken federal clean air laws, shield MTBE fuel additive producers that pollute water supplies from [b]lawsuits [/b] [i](protect them lawsuits)[/i] and other measures that would hurt American consumers.

"I would hope there will be a filibuster," said Democratic Rep. Henry Waxman of California.

Nostrilitus said the "arrogance" of Republican negotiators who want to write the bill themselves with no input from Democrats was "outrageous."

"It is producing bad policy. It is harming this country, because their (Republican) decisions are not being thought through," he said.

"We are not at all reluctant to oppose bad energy policy," said Democratic Sen. Byron Dorgan of North Dakota.

Wyden said Democrats are willing to meet Republicans more than "half-way" [i](our way)[/i] and find "common ground" [i](our way)[/i] in coming up with a good energy bill.

But he warned Republicans not to "stiff" consumers with bad energy policy.

"We are prepared to defend the American people and say: &#39;This is a lousy bill. It&#39;s a bill that is detrimental to the interests of millions of Americans,"&#39; Wyden said.

Under Senate rules, 60 votes would be needed in the 100-member chamber to end debate on the energy bill and proceed with a final vote. There are 51 Republicans in the Senate, along with 48 Democrats and Independent James Jeffords of Vermont, who normally votes with the Democrats.

Time will work in favor of the Democrats if they chose to [b]filibuster [/b]the energy bill as Congress is aiming to adjourn in about two weeks.

Before then, congressional leaders still have to schedule votes on a number of spending bills to fund the government and cannot afford to get bogged down in a multi-day Senate debate on energy legislation.

The timetable for a vote on the energy bill was unclear.

Republican Sen. Pete Domenici, the bill&#39;s manager, has promised to give House and Senate conferees a copy of the final bill 48 hours before a vote is held by a joint conference committee.

That means a committee vote could not occur until next week at the earliest, unless Domenici is pressured by Republican leaders to break his pledge. The bill would then go to the full House and Senate for a simple up-or-down vote, with lawmakers prohibited from amending the legislation.

Democrats hope to rewrite parts of the bill in the conference committee. But with Republicans in the majority, Democrats face an uphill battle in altering the legislation.

Once the joint House-Senate conference committee approves an energy bill, it goes back to each chamber for a final vote. [/b][/quote]
    Weeb...don&#39;t you see, the democ[b]RATS[/b] don&#39;t care about doing the right thing, they just want to fight the President every step of the way, even if the obvious is good for America.

Let&#39;s scream and yell about foreign oil dependence rather than drill in Alaska and off the coast of California.

Let&#39;s scream at the President for not getting the funds from Fema quick enough and blame him for these terrible forest fires rather than do the obvious and thin the forests to prevent the fires.

I watched Michael Moore(on) during a CNN interview. Besides being inarticulate, uninformed and hypocritical, the man sounded downright stupid. One of his best quotes was, "there is no terrorist threat....but there will be more terrorists incidents in the US, probably worse than 9/11" Huh??? what the fuq?

Anyway, he says the Bush family is too close to the Saudi&#39;s and is doing a movie about a partnership between the first President Bush and bin laden. Yet he thinks it is ridiculous that the President wants to drill for oil in Alaska to reduce America&#39;s dependence on middle eastern oil.

Oh...one other gem from the interview. He thought it was hysterical that Arnold won the governorship of California and is not qualified because he is an actor yet in his book Moore makes a case that Oprah should be our next President.

He seems to have a thing for Bush....maybe cause that is what his work reflects...bush&#33;&#33;&#33;

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Funny...[b]C[/b]ommunist [b]N[/b]ews [b]N[/b]etwork again had Michael Moore(on) on and "Fat Bastard" justified my above post on him.

He was so pathetic he cheesed off the host, the very liberal Aaron Brown. According to "Fat Bastard" we should apologize to the UN and pull put of Iraq. Even funnier, this leftist liberal states he feels no one will support President Bush next year because the American people do not like President&#39;s reaching into their pockets to support foriegn nations....no that&#39;s funny/pathetic/hypocritical/typical of a liberal like Moore(on)&#33;

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    fat bastard haha

Michael Moore is a scumbag who took advantage of an old man who had AZ disease and put it in a movie (Heston).