Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jessica Lynch

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][b]Jessica Lynch condemns Pentagon

[b]A US woman soldier who shot to fame after being taken prisoner during the Iraq war has accused the military of using her for propaganda purposes.[/b]

But the 20-year-old criticised the release of false information about her capture by Iraqi forces.

She also said there was no reason for her rescue to be filmed.

[b]
    In her first interview about what happened to her, the former prisoner-of-war told ABC television that medical reports indicated that she had been raped.

They used me as a way to symbolise all this stuff. It's wrong [/b]

She said she had no recollection of the attack. "Even just the thinking about that, that's too painful," she told interviewer Diane Sawyer.

Miss Lynch, who was serving as an Army supply clerk, suffered broken bones and other injuries when her convoy was ambushed after taking a wrong turn near the Iraqi town of Nasiriya on 23 March.

[b]The Pentagon initially put out the story that Private Lynch - a slight woman who was just 19 at the time - had been wounded by Iraqi gunfire but had kept fighting until her ammunition ran out.

But she told Sawyer that she was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, and that her gun had jammed during the chaos.

"I'm not about to take credit for something I didn't do," she said.

"I did not shoot - not a round, nothing. I went down praying to my knees - that's the last thing I remember."

Initial reports also suggested that Miss Lynch had been abused after she came round in the hospital. She says that again was untrue - there was no mistreatment, and [u]one nurse used to sing to her. [/u][/b]

She said she was grateful to the American special forces team which rescued her but, asked whether the Pentagon's subsequent portrayal of her rescue bothered her, she said: "Yes, it does. They used me as a way to symbolise all this stuff. It's wrong."

Injuries

Miss Lynch was awarded the Bronze Star, Purple Heart and Prisoner of War medals while still in hospital in Washington DC.

Months later, she is receiving treatment for her extensive injuries.

Earlier this week, it emerged that medical evidence suggested that Miss Lynch had been raped during her capture.

The assault was revealed in extracts from Miss Lynch's authorised biography - I am a Soldier, Too: The Jessica Lynch Story - to be released by publisher Alfred A Knopf on Tuesday. [/b][/quote]

(to be sung to the tune of Handel's Messiah)

PROP-A-GANDA!

PROP-A-GANDA!

Propaganda, Propaganda, Prop-a-gan-da!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's very sad indeed.

You just can't take at face value anything the Pentagon puts forward. They always have ulterior motives.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Propaganda has always gone hand-in-hand with war.

While this is cynical and wrong, it should not be unexpected.

Congrats to Lynch for refusing to play along. I imagine her character will be assailed by the likes of Bill O'Really? and other chickenhawks, next.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes...I'm sure the stories of the soilders who died the same day she was captured being shot point blank were also propoganda....the Pentagon never released an official story as to what happened to Lynch.

It's just too bad you democ[b]RATS[/b] continue to pin the future hopes of your party on failure in Iraq!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Come Back to NY[/i]@Nov 7 2003, 04:15 PM
    [b] Yes...I'm sure the stories of the soilders who died the same day she was captured being shot point blank were also propoganda....the Pentagon never released an official story as to what happened to Lynch.

It's just too bad you democrats continue to pin the future hopes of your party on failure in Iraq! [/b][/quote]
    Speaking of Chickenhawks!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Something always seemed fishy about the 'hero' angle to the Lynch story....

I don't get it - was she raped or not?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever[/i]@Nov 7 2003, 04:34 PM
    [b] Something always seemed fishy about the 'hero' angle to the Lynch story....

I don't get it - was she raped or not? [/b][/quote]
    Here we go, the right wing attack machine is revvving up!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Calm down Tail. I am agreeing that the hero story is crap and that it's a shame that the Pentagon fostered a false impression for propaganda purposes.

I am honestly confused - Lynch says she was sung to by nurses, and medical examiners say she was anally raped? I am sure she doesn't want to talk about all of that, but if she says she wasn't mistreated you would think she wasn't raped. It's very possible she was raped and doesn't remember it, however. The Iraqis raped female POWs during the first Gulf War, for example....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by tailgators+Nov 7 2003, 04:22 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (tailgators @ Nov 7 2003, 04:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Come Back to NY[/i]@Nov 7 2003, 04:15 PM
    [b] Yes...I&#39;m sure the stories of the soilders who died the same day she was captured being shot point blank were also propoganda....the Pentagon never released an official story as to what happened to Lynch.

It&#39;s just too bad you democrats continue to pin the future hopes of your party on failure in Iraq&#33; [/b][/quote]
    Speaking of Chickenhawks&#33; [/b][/quote]
    Right back at you leftist&#33;

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tail - what is your principled reaction to Jay Rockefeller&#39;s memo regarding the Dems blatant and calculated polotical oppotunism regarding naitonal security?

Still feel all &#39;leaks&#39; are treasonous?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever[/i]@Nov 7 2003, 05:02 PM
    [b] Tail - what is your principled reaction to Jay Rockefeller&#39;s memo regarding the Dems blatant and calculated polotical oppotunism regarding naitonal security?

Still feel all &#39;leaks&#39; are treasonous? [/b][/quote]
    I honestly don&#39;t know anything about it.

However, I will say if he leaked the name of a CIA operative then yes in my book its treasonous.

Is this a National Review story?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by tailgators+Nov 7 2003, 05:13 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (tailgators @ Nov 7 2003, 05:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--jets5ever[/i]@Nov 7 2003, 05:02 PM
    [b] Tail - what is your principled reaction to Jay Rockefeller&#39;s memo regarding the Dems blatant and calculated polotical oppotunism regarding naitonal security?

Still feel all &#39;leaks&#39; are treasonous? [/b][/quote]
    I honestly don&#39;t know anything about it.

However, I will say if he leaked the name of a CIA operative then yes in my book its treasonous.

Is this a National Review story? [/b][/quote]
    Like I said about the Rats/liberals....avoid the obvious&#33;

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Nov 7 2003, 03:19 PM
    [b] [quote][b]Jessica Lynch condemns Pentagon

[b]A US woman soldier who shot to fame after being taken prisoner during the Iraq war has accused the military of using her for propaganda purposes.[/b]

But the 20-year-old criticised the release of false information about her capture by Iraqi forces.

She also said there was no reason for her rescue to be filmed.

[b]
    In her first interview about what happened to her, the former prisoner-of-war told ABC television that medical reports indicated that she had been raped.

They used me as a way to symbolise all this stuff. It&#39;s wrong [/b]

She said she had no recollection of the attack. "Even just the thinking about that, that&#39;s too painful," she told interviewer Diane Sawyer.

Miss Lynch, who was serving as an Army supply clerk, suffered broken bones and other injuries when her convoy was ambushed after taking a wrong turn near the Iraqi town of Nasiriya on 23 March.

[b]The Pentagon initially put out the story that Private Lynch - a slight woman who was just 19 at the time - had been wounded by Iraqi gunfire but had kept fighting until her ammunition ran out.

But she told Sawyer that she was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, and that her gun had jammed during the chaos.

"I&#39;m not about to take credit for something I didn&#39;t do," she said.

"I did not shoot - not a round, nothing. I went down praying to my knees - that&#39;s the last thing I remember."

Initial reports also suggested that Miss Lynch had been abused after she came round in the hospital. She says that again was untrue - there was no mistreatment, and [u]one nurse used to sing to her. [/u][/b]

She said she was grateful to the American special forces team which rescued her but, asked whether the Pentagon&#39;s subsequent portrayal of her rescue bothered her, she said: "Yes, it does. They used me as a way to symbolise all this stuff. It&#39;s wrong."

Injuries

Miss Lynch was awarded the Bronze Star, Purple Heart and Prisoner of War medals while still in hospital in Washington DC.

Months later, she is receiving treatment for her extensive injuries.

Earlier this week, it emerged that medical evidence suggested that Miss Lynch had been raped during her capture.

The assault was revealed in extracts from Miss Lynch&#39;s authorised biography - I am a Soldier, Too: The Jessica Lynch Story - to be released by publisher Alfred A Knopf on Tuesday. [/b][/quote]

(to be sung to the tune of Handel&#39;s Messiah)

PROP-A-GANDA&#33;

PROP-A-GANDA&#33;

Propaganda, Propaganda, Prop-a-gan-da&#33; [/b][/quote]
    Forgive me but I don&#39;t see what the big friggin deal is here.

So there were reports that she fired back at the Iraquis and they turned out to be inaccurate, I would imagine the pentagon probably had alot of conflicting reports about what went on during that ambush and if someone put out the word she went down fighting.....so what.....where is the harm ?.

So there were reports she was being abused in the hospital and they were incorrect, she was abused before she got to the hospital and not in the hospital itself....big deal.....the point is she was a 19 year old american servicewoman who was in enemy hands and had in fact been abused, I fail to see what difference it made that she wasn&#39;t being abused at the hospital ?, does that mean we weren&#39;t supposed to rescue her because she hadn&#39;t been abused for a couple of days ?.

As for her opinion that her rescue didn&#39;t need to be taped, she&#39;s certainly entitled to her opinion...but...while operationally it wasn&#39;t necessary it caused no harm to her having it recorded so again.....what&#39;s the big deal ?.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by MARYLAND JET[/i]@Nov 7 2003, 06:08 PM
    [b] the point is she was a 19 year old american servicewoman who was in enemy hands and had in fact been abused, I fail to see what difference it made that she wasn&#39;t being abused at the hospital ?, does that mean we weren&#39;t supposed to rescue her because she hadn&#39;t been abused for a couple of days ?.

As for her opinion that her rescue didn&#39;t need to be taped, she&#39;s certainly entitled to her opinion...but...while operationally it wasn&#39;t necessary it caused no harm to her having it recorded so again.....what&#39;s the big deal ?. [/b][/quote]
    the big deal is that she wasn&#39;t being HELD prisoner she was in a hospital receiving medical care and the US staged this big ordeal - ever see Wag the Dog? Its like that. It was a big show that strengthened the resolve of an ambivalent public. It was theater. They put on a play and Jessica Lynch was the star. Only problem is JEssica Lynch didn&#39;t want to be the star. She doesn&#39;t want to be a symbol for the war but they made her one anyway.

the facts when it occured, the facts that were reported was that Lynch went down shooting and was in the hospital getting stabbed and shot and slapped about.

what happened was that soliders and cameras went it firing blanks and made it seem all hollywood and dangerous and exciting and daring, but really they were storming a civilian hospital when no one was shooting, no one was armed.

i&#39;ve read from various foriegn sources that the hospital had tried to give Lynch back 2 days before the "rescue" but was rebuffed with gunfire at a checkpoint.

Is that "enemy" propaganda? you be the judge.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti+Nov 7 2003, 09:12 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (bitonti @ Nov 7 2003, 09:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--MARYLAND JET[/i]@Nov 7 2003, 06:08 PM
    [b] the point is she was a 19 year old american servicewoman who was in enemy hands and had in fact been abused, I fail to see what difference it made that she wasn&#39;t being abused at the hospital ?, does that mean we weren&#39;t supposed to rescue her because she hadn&#39;t been abused for a couple of days ?.

As for her opinion that her rescue didn&#39;t need to be taped, she&#39;s certainly entitled to her opinion...but...while operationally it wasn&#39;t necessary it caused no harm to her having it recorded so again.....what&#39;s the big deal ?. [/b][/quote]
    the big deal is that she wasn&#39;t being HELD prisoner she was in a hospital receiving medical care and the US staged this big ordeal - ever see Wag the Dog? Its like that. It was a big show that strengthened the resolve of an ambivalent public. It was theater. They put on a play and Jessica Lynch was the star. Only problem is JEssica Lynch didn&#39;t want to be the star. She doesn&#39;t want to be a symbol for the war but they made her one anyway.

the facts when it occured, the facts that were reported was that Lynch went down shooting and was in the hospital getting stabbed and shot and slapped about.

what happened was that soliders and cameras went it firing blanks and made it seem all hollywood and dangerous and exciting and daring, but really they were storming a civilian hospital when no one was shooting, no one was armed.

i&#39;ve read from various foriegn sources that the hospital had tried to give Lynch back 2 days before the "rescue" but was rebuffed with gunfire at a checkpoint.

Is that "enemy" propaganda? you be the judge.[/b][/quote]
    She wasn&#39;t held prisoner? So she was able to get up on her own and leave? Or maybe she was too beat up from people slapping her and raping her?

Bionti...it must be very sad to know that things in Iraq must go badly in order for your team (the democ[b]RATS[/b]) to do well??&#33;&#33; That instead of wanting our soilders to be successful in the war against terror you secretly hope the terrorists win so a RAT may have a chance next November, at which point we (America) will all be bowing to the alter of the [b]U[/b]seless [b]N[/b]otion?

Can you sleep at night? Its&#39; almost like rooting for the plane carrying the NE PAts to go down in flames so as to make the job easier for the Jets&#33;

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    hey man its not a matter of teams. Im an american citizen and a jets fan.

if you know all the answers

why she holding interviews with diane sawyer saying she thought it was staged

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Nov 7 2003, 11:57 PM
    [b] hey man its not a matter of teams. Im an american citizen and a jets fan.

if you know all the answers

why she holding interviews with diane sawyer saying she thought it was staged [/b][/quote]
    No soilder...and any others out there can chime in, wants the spotlight or fame when their bretheren are dying with them. She is being professional.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti+Nov 7 2003, 09:12 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (bitonti @ Nov 7 2003, 09:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--MARYLAND JET[/i]@Nov 7 2003, 06:08 PM

Is that "enemy" propaganda? you be the judge. [/b][/quote]
    So let me see if I&#39;ve got this straight, according to you there was really no need to rescue Pvt Lynch because she wasn&#39;t being mistreated at the time and was in fact safe and sound in the hospital.

Well how do you think she got those injuries that put her in the hospital, she didn&#39;t get all broken up when her gun jammed and she fell to her knees praying, the people that brutalized her and caused her injuries were obviously still in control of her unless you think once the Republican Guard or Fedayeen turn over a P.O.W to the Iraqi hospital staff then they are forced to back away until the medical staff are done treating her.

As far as the taping of the rescue goes if your position is that it shouldn&#39;t have been taped because after the fact Pvt Lynch " didn&#39;t want to be the star ".....well.....Pvt Lynch&#39;s feelings are all well and good but the bottom line is when she joined the Army she gave up certain rights and if the Army chooses to tape her rescue { for whatever reason } they can do it, I would think she&#39;d focus a little less on the fact that it was taped and a little more on the fact the rescue ended a horrific ordeal and she has a chance to recover and hopefully move on from this with only minimal physical and psycological damage.

As far as the soldiers rescuing her using blanks instead of real ammo I&#39;ve heard this accusation before and it&#39;s completely ludicrous, why in the world would they even consider doing that, what if the Iraquis were tipped off that there was going to be a rescue attempt and were waiting to ambush them ?, it would be idiotic not to go in to the hospital fully armed and ready for anything while hoping all went well and deadly force will not be needed, They weren&#39;t using blanks and they weren&#39;t trying to make it look " dangerous, exciting or daring " as you stated, what they were doing was arming themselves appropriately { real ammo } and taking every precaution to help insure a successful mission or in other words, they&#39;re job.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [i]As far as the soldiers rescuing her using blanks instead of real ammo I&#39;ve heard this accusation before and it&#39;s completely ludicrous, why in the world would they even consider doing that, what if the Iraquis were tipped off that there was going to be a rescue attempt and were waiting to ambush them ?, it would be idiotic not to go in to the hospital fully armed and ready for anything while hoping all went well and deadly force will not be needed, They weren&#39;t using blanks and they weren&#39;t trying to make it look " dangerous, exciting or daring " as you stated, what they were doing was arming themselves appropriately { real ammo } and taking every precaution to help insure a successful mission or in other words, they&#39;re job. [/i]

Think they&#39;ve been watching "DieHard2" a bit too much?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Come Back to NY[/i]@Nov 8 2003, 11:41 AM
    [b] [i]As far as the soldiers rescuing her using blanks instead of real ammo I&#39;ve heard this accusation before and it&#39;s completely ludicrous, why in the world would they even consider doing that, what if the Iraquis were tipped off that there was going to be a rescue attempt and were waiting to ambush them ?, it would be idiotic not to go in to the hospital fully armed and ready for anything while hoping all went well and deadly force will not be needed, They weren&#39;t using blanks and they weren&#39;t trying to make it look " dangerous, exciting or daring " as you stated, what they were doing was arming themselves appropriately { real ammo } and taking every precaution to help insure a successful mission or in other words, they&#39;re job. [/i]

Think they&#39;ve been watching "DieHard2" a bit too much? [/b][/quote]
    Good point &#33;