Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: Hot Stove Talk

  1. #1
    I'm going to predict the following

    Yanks
    Re-sign Pettite
    Sign Vlad (if he's willing to go there)
    Sign either Colon or Millwood
    Possibly trade Soriano (if they sign Vlad, and if they miss out on Colon and Millwood) and sign Todd Walker (which will depress me, I like him)

    big favorites going into next year

    Sox
    Will 100% trade either Nomar, Manny (will have to eat part of conrtact), or Pedro.
    Possibly trade for Schilling
    Sign Castillo
    If they trade for Freddy Garica I might puke blood (especially if it's for Nixon, who I've been down on his whole career, but who I know think is coming into his own)

    I love the offseason in baseball...it doesn't have the unreal draft time like the NFL (or even the NBA), but there is so much player movement and rumors it's awesome.

    I remember being devastated on Thanksgiving a few years ago when the Sox lost out on both Albert Belle and Bernie...and elated two or three years later when the Sox signed Manny.

  2. #2
    Yanks buy ouy the rest of the league and expand their roster to 500. :o


    I do not know what the Sox are going to do, but if their signings workout half as good as last years we should be all right.

  3. #3
    Nice thread. Hope many others contribute.

    I agree with the Yanks re-signing Pettite. Disagree on Vlad. I think they target Sheffield, for a 2 or 3 year deal. I think they package something to the Expos for Vasquez, for their 2nd pitcher. And Weaver (and cash, of course) will be part of that package. I think Soriano stays, at 2b again, but not as the leadoff hitter. Jeter gets that.

    As for the Sox, I'd be shocked if they traded Nixon, and didn't keep Walker. These guys had excellent years, and were their best performers in the playoffs. There are several arbitartion cases (Ortiz, etc) that may effect the roster moves the Sox make. I think Pedro and Manny return, the market for $17 million + players is pretty dry. I could see them moving Nomar, if he won't re-up before spring training. With Nomar, Veritek and Lowe, among others coming up for free agency after next season, Sox have to make a signing of at least 1 of these guys early, to see where they stand. Lowe would be a big loss, unless they swing a deal for Schilling. And Schilling is already in the $12 million range, although a chunk is deferred. He has an option, or is free after next season also.

    Should be an interesting Hot Stove League. The team to watch is the Orioles. They are willing to spend, already have some good young talent, and may make a splash with the signing of Vlad.

    Stay tuned.

  4. #4
    Don't think there is much credence to the following rumor being discussed on Boston sports radio

    ARod to Boston
    Nomar to Anaheim
    K-Rod and Eckstein to Rangers

    Can't see the Sox taking on biggest contract in league without unloading 2nd or 3rd biggest (Manny) Not unless the Rangers pay a substantial portion of ARod's remaining deal.

  5. #5
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ludlow, MA
    Posts
    3,547
    Sox MUST lock up Varitek longterm. You can't underestimate the price of a good catcher, and he knows the Boston pitchers so well. I think either manny or nomar is gone and Pedro said himself this week he needs to perform well to get a good contract. Ortiz might be gone which is a shame, but Nixon is going nowhere. Lowe will also be signed longterm I think. As for the yanks, if they land Sheffield then look out. He is one of my fav players in the league and a straight out stud. They could get him for a cheaper price than Vlad and to me is the better move for them. They should hold on to Pettitte, but they still need another SP and Colon would fit the bill but he will be targeted by others as well. It looks to be an interesting offseason.

  6. #6
    Originally posted by gmogmo@Nov 11 2003, 11:26 AM
    Don't think there is much credence to the following rumor being discussed on Boston sports radio

    ARod to Boston
    Nomar to Anaheim
    K-Rod and Eckstein to Rangers

    Can't see the Sox taking on biggest contract in league without unloading 2nd or 3rd biggest (Manny) Not unless the Rangers pay a substantial portion of ARod's remaining deal.
    This would be a very large savings for the Rangers, which is what they really want. Unloading A-Rod and Palmario (free agent) in one off season is a cut of over $35 million in 1 fell swoop.

    Good deal for the Angels and Sox, not so good for the Rangers (from a baseball talent analysis).

  7. #7
    Originally posted by ScottishJet@Nov 11 2003, 11:43 AM
    Sox MUST lock up Varitek longterm. You can't underestimate the price of a good catcher, and he knows the Boston pitchers so well. I think either manny or nomar is gone and Pedro said himself this week he needs to perform well to get a good contract. Ortiz might be gone which is a shame, but Nixon is going nowhere. Lowe will also be signed longterm I think. As for the yanks, if they land Sheffield then look out. He is one of my fav players in the league and a straight out stud. They could get him for a cheaper price than Vlad and to me is the better move for them. They should hold on to Pettitte, but they still need another SP and Colon would fit the bill but he will be targeted by others as well. It looks to be an interesting offseason.
    Vlad will comand a long term deal, possibly 7 years at near 100 million. Sheffield will be more like 2 or 3, at a bit lower price, maybe 12.5 - 13 million.

    If Yanks do a 3 year deal with Sheffield at that price, then in 3 years they will have Williams and Sheffield and Posada contracts coming off in 1 shot. That's nearly $40 million. This would be just at the time Soriano and Nick Johnson become free agents, so the timing may be just right.

  8. #8
    Nick Johnson is gone..they will use him to try and get vazquez or schilling.

    LL

    I think the Astros will end up with Pettitte especially if Stottlemeyer retires...

    LL

    Besides, this is torre's last year....and stot is definately gone after this year....so does andy want to adapt to a new pitching coach after a year???????????i dont think so...he sees the writing on the wall...

  9. #9
    Originally posted by latinlawyer@Nov 11 2003, 02:36 PM
    Nick Johnson is gone..they will use him to try and get vazquez or schilling.

    LL

    I think the Astros will end up with Pettitte especially if Stottlemeyer retires...

    LL

    Besides, this is torre's last year....and stot is definately gone after this year....so does andy want to adapt to a new pitching coach after a year???????????i dont think so...he sees the writing on the wall...
    Nick Johnson, I hope you are wrong. Especially with Giambi facing knee surgery.

    Pettite - I disagree. Unless he wants to stay near home and never win again, since the Astros won't spend the $$$.

  10. #10
    EEI won't let this Arod thing die...they are acting like there is a good chance it happens. I just don't see it unless

    1) Texas picks up portion of ARod's deal
    2) Arod defers a decent amount of $
    or
    3) Sox are sure they can unload Manny to someone

  11. #11
    All League
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Holmdel
    Posts
    2,851
    Astros dumped salary in trading Wagner to Phillies-this makes me believe they are going heavy after Petite. George will offer more money like always-it probably depend if he wants to be closer to what he considers home in Texas against loyalty to Yankees

  12. #12
    I have a feeling the Yanks don't end up moving Soriano or Johnson (unless it's for Vasquez). Trading Soriano for someone like Schilling is just too short sighted IMO, especially when they can sign someone comprable like Colon without giving up a potential stud hitter.

  13. #13
    All League
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Holmdel
    Posts
    2,851
    I see Yankees signing either Colon or Millwood and I think Petite is one George will not get away
    Rotation of Petite, Mussina, Colon, Contreras and Lieber

  14. #14
    That's a tough rotation...especially if Contreras pitches like he's capable of.

  15. #15
    Originally posted by faba@Nov 11 2003, 05:05 PM
    I see Yankees signing either Colon or Millwood and I think Petite is one George will not get away
    Rotation of Petite, Mussina, Colon, Contreras and Lieber
    I agree it'll be Colon instead of Millwood. I also think that although the word is that George is not so enamored of Johnson, the "Baseball People" around the Yankee Front Office will talk him out of trading him for either Schilling or Vasquez. Same with Sori.

    So, if it comes down to Millwood vs. Colon, I think they go after Colon. Then resign Pettite. If Lieber comes back, that's one heck of a rotation, and not that old. Especially when compared to the 2 forty year old guys in Clemens and Wells.

    Colon, Mussina, Pettite, Contrares, Lieber. OK with me.

  16. #16
    Originally posted by gmogmo@Nov 11 2003, 05:27 PM
    That's a tough rotation...especially if Contreras pitches like he's capable of.
    He showed enough as a starter in the last 6-7 weeks of the season, that he might actually become the best #4 or #5 in the game! He could be that good.

  17. #17
    All League
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Holmdel
    Posts
    2,851
    Some one in Yankees organization (George) seems to want to trade Johnson- there are just too many rumors about him that it can not be they are all false.
    I do not see Schilling coming to Yankees in a trade for him to waive notrade clause. You also are taking a chance with 37 year old pitcher. I would go with younger rotation options if I was Yankee management.

  18. #18
    faba

    The same thing is true of Trot Nixon and the Sox. The all but tried to give him away last year to the Mess, but they would not bite. The guy is nails and comes to play everyday and is of the few Sox players to be clutch.

  19. #19
    Originally posted by PFSIKH@Nov 12 2003, 12:43 PM
    faba

    The same thing is true of Trot Nixon and the Sox. The all but tried to give him away last year to the Mess, but they would not bite. The guy is nails and comes to play everyday and is of the few Sox players to be clutch.
    Nixon is a real solid guy. I'd love for the Yanks to get him, even if he does struggle against lefties. He'd be something in that park, with that short right field porch.

    Dream on.............Sox won't let him get away.

  20. #20
    Well it looks like the Yankees are opening talks with Sheffield. Interesting the Sheffield is representing himself and will not have an agent at the negotiations.

    I heard something on ESPN radio earlier this week. The White Sox may be looking to move Magglio Ordonez. Now there is a guy I would love in right field for the Yankees. I don't think though they would have enough to offer for him especially if they are gonna use Nick Johnson as trade bait.

    It would be interesting though to maybe dangle Soriano in front of them. I don't think the White Sox would take him though cause Soriano is gonna get a boatload of money in arbitration this year.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us