Thread: Blood on the Media's Hands

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

You rubes who willingly accept the BS being spewed by the liberal media are complicit in what could easily be considered treasonous behavior. Even some of your own politicians are fed up with the devious bias of the mainstream medial...

[quote][b]Democrat Congressman: Media's Bias 'Is Killing Our Troops'

U.S. Rep. Jim Marshall, D-Ga., went to Iraq to check out the war for himself. What he saw has him Angry ... at America's media establishment.

"The Iraq war has predictably evolved into a guerrilla conflict similar to Vietnam. Our currently stated objectives are to establish reasonable security and foster the creation of a secular, representative government with a stable market economy that provides broad opportunity throughout Iraqi society. Attaining these objectives in Iraq would inevitably transform the Arab world and immeasurably increase our future national security," he writes in today's Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

"These are goals worthy of a fight, of sacrifice, of more lives lost now to save thousands, perhaps tens or hundreds of thousands in the future. In Mosul last Monday, a colonel in the 101st Airborne put it to me quite simply: 'Sir, this is worth doing.' No one I spoke with said anything different. And I spoke with all ranks.

"But there will be more Blumbergs killed in action, many more. So it is worth doing only if we have a reasonable chance of success. And we do, but I'm afraid the news media are hurting our chances. They are dwelling upon the mistakes, the ambushes, the soldiers killed, the wounded, the Blumbergs. Fair enough. But it is not balancing this bad news with 'the rest of the story,' the progress made daily, the good news. The falsely bleak picture weakens our national resolve, discourages Iraqi cooperation and emboldens our enemy. ...

"Throughout Iraq, American soldiers with their typical 'can do' attitude and ingenuity are engaging in thousands upon thousands of small reconstruction projects, working with Iraqi contractors and citizens. Through decentralized decision-making by unit commanders, the 101st Airborne Division alone has spent nearly $23 million in just the past few months. This sum goes a very long way in Iraq. Hundreds upon hundreds of schools are being renovated, repainted, replumbed and reroofed. Imagine the effect that has on children and their parents.

"Zogby International recently released the results of an August poll showing hope and progress. My own unscientific surveys told me the same thing. With virtually no exceptions, hundreds of Iraqis enthusiastically waved back at me as I sat in the open door of a helicopter traveling between Babylon and Baghdad. And I received a similar reception as I worked my way alone, shaking hands through a large crowd of refinery workers just to see their reaction.

"We may need a few credible Baghdad Bobs to undo the harm done by our media. I'm afraid it is killing our troops." [/b][/quote]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Two Democrats, a Democratic judicial nominee and even a New York Times reporter fed up with the bullsh-t antics of the liberal media...

[quote][b]Getting The Truth (Iraq)
    INVESTOR'S BUSINESS DAILY ^ |
    Thursday, September 25, 2003 | Editor

Media: News outlets around the country continue to report on Iraq in ways that make the situation there look grim, like a fiasco, a quagmire. It ain't so.

But please, don't take our word for it. Just listen to those who have actually been there and are now reporting back, getting around the major media's filter on the news.

Just last week, a bipartisan House Armed Services group returned from a fact-finding trip to Iraq. The congressmen concluded the American media are systematically distorting the news from Iraq, exaggerating the bad, ignoring the good.

Typical was this, from Democrat Ike Skelton of Missouri: "The media stresses the wounds, the injuries and the deaths, as they should, but for instance in Northern Iraq, Gen. (Dave) Petraeus has 3,100 projects from soccer fields to schools to refineries all good stuff, and that isn't being reported."

Rep. Joe Wilson, a Republican from South Carolina who himself previously worked as a reporter, was also taken aback.

He cited what he called a "hysterical" account on CBS radio of an attack that led to three deaths: "The media portrayed it as an act of sophistication and a regrouping of Saddam's forces, when, in fact, it's an indication of disorganization and desperation."

Jim Marshall of Georgia, another Democrat and a Vietnam veteran, was so angered by what he saw, he penned an editorial when he returned. Today, IBD runs it.

Of course, as anyone in the media will tell you, bad news sells; good news doesn't. Sadly, that's true. But it goes deeper than that.

"There is corruption in our business," wrote John Burns, a New York Times correspondent in Iraq, who took the media to task for their failure in a scathing piece in Editor & Publisher. "We need to get back to basics."

Others who have been to Iraq have similar conclusions. Federal Judge Dan Walters, a Democrat appointee who traveled to Iraq to help reform that nation's legal system, noted, "We are not getting the whole truth from the news media."

We've said it before we're not Pollyannas. But we've noticed a consistency to the reports we read of people who return from Iraq and say pretty much the same thing. Things there are far better than is being reported.

It's all over the Web, if you care to look.

Average soldiers, writing home, paint a much different picture than the media about what's happened. Like this from Art Messer, a Navy Seabee in Iraq, at sfft.org: "I can honestly say 98% of the population of Iraq loves us and they do not want us to leave ever!"

Yes, we know people Americans too are still dying. There's disorder in some areas. Infrastructure needs to be rebuilt.

But Iraq is far better off today than it was a year ago. By any measure. And the people there, by and large, are happy we're there.

Again, that's not us talking it's the Iraqis themselves. In a Gallup Poll released Wednesday, 67% of those living in Baghdad say they're glad Saddam is gone, even after recent hardships. And two-thirds expect things to be much better in five years.

Americans have much riding on this war on terror. They need the truth facts and honest analysis, not bias and cant.

Anything less than that is a disservice to Iraq's nascent democracy. And to ours.[/b][/quote]

Hall Of Fame
    Don't forget Zell Miller. He's got a book coming out that essentially says that he's ashamed to be a Democrat these days. (He's a hawkish Souhtern Dem)

yeah ok blame the "liberal media" oh cry oh sob, the media are treasonous!

you mean like the treasonous white house staffer that leaked the name of a CIA operative?

when the white house starts careing about the treason in its own camp ill start worrying about supposed treason in the media.

besides it wasn't the media that started a war with no clear point for victory.

It wasn't the media that falsely claimed imminent threat to the American people in the form of WMD.

The administration made their bed now but we all have to lie in it.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Nov 13 2003, 02:02 PM
    [b] yeah ok blame the "liberal media" oh cry oh sob, the media are treasonous!

you mean like the treasonous white house staffer that leaked the name of a CIA operative?

when the white house starts careing about the treason in its own camp ill start worrying about supposed treason in the media.

besides it wasn't the media that started a war with no clear point for victory.

It wasn't the media that falsely claimed imminent threat to the American people in the form of WMD.

The administration made their bed now but we all have to lie in it. [/b][/quote]
    I am not saying they are treasonous, just that they are not painting the full picture.

You have a fantastic ability to be cynical about all information, except information that conforms to your opinions.

Bitonti - when was the threat from AQ imminent? If Bush had said AQ was poised to kill thousands of Americans in August of 2001 and invaded Afganistan, you'd be calling him a liar who is getting our soldiers killed for nothing. You have no concept of what constitutes an "immediate threat." And most importantly, BUSH NEVER SAID THE THREAT WAS IMMINENT. He said that to wait UNTIL it WAS imminent would be disastrous and the fact that we still had time before it BECAME imminent was the very reason why now was a good time to act.

(Okay, we are back to normal now, after agreeing this morning....)

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever[/i]@Nov 13 2003, 03:11 PM
    [b] Bitonti - when was the threat from AQ imminent? If Bush had said AQ was poised to kill thousands of Americans in August of 2001 and invaded Afganistan you'd be calling him a liar who is getting our soldiers killed for nothing. [/b][/quote]
    In fact in May of 2001 President Bush supported sending the Taliban billions of dollars in aid because of how they controlled and virtually eliminated the prodution of opium poppies.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by tailgators+Nov 13 2003, 02:25 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (tailgators @ Nov 13 2003, 02:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--jets5ever[/i]@Nov 13 2003, 03:11 PM
    [b] Bitonti - when was the threat from AQ imminent? If Bush had said AQ was poised to kill thousands of Americans in August of 2001 and invaded Afganistan you&#39;d be calling him a liar who is getting our soldiers killed for nothing. [/b][/quote]
    In fact in May of 2001 President Bush supported sending the Taliban billions of dollars in aid because of how they controlled and virtually eliminated the prodution of opium poppies. [/b][/quote]
    Right, and Billy Boy sent billions and billions to N Korea because they were ostensibly not producing nukes. How did that work out?

Billy also sent money to Afganistan Tail.

That money Bush and Billy sent to the Taliban was meant to be directed to relief agencies for Afghan citizens. Unfortunately, both monies never reached the poor citizens they were intended to and were used by corrupt regimes, ditto for N Korea

It is not a partisan issue - the USA sends way too much relief money in general IMO and what does it get us? Nothing but broken promises and resentment. We should stop sending money to regimes that are not trustworthy, period. Including the Sauds.

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever[/i]@Nov 13 2003, 03:11 PM
    [b] You have a fantastic ability to be cynical about all information, except information that conforms to your opinions.

[/b][/quote]
    Who doesn&#39;t?

We all read and post things that conform with our view of the world and we&#39;re all skeptical of material we don&#39;t agree with. What&#39;s wrong with that?

[quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever[/i]@Nov 13 2003, 03:29 PM
    [b] It is not a partisan issue - the USA sends way too much relief money in general IMO and what does it get us? Nothing but broken promises and resentment. We should stop sending money to regimes that are not trustworthy, period. Including the Sauds. [/b][/quote]
    youll find no argument from me there. Remember i think isolationism is the best play. We simply don&#39;t need to be there.