Thread: Bush won't see this through

What is troubling about the war in Iraq is not the casualties as much as the REACTION on the ground to the casualties. People cheering and celebrating every American death with glee. Whatever you think our intentions were in going to war in Iraq, there can be no doubt that the perception on the ground is that the US is just another OCCUPYING foreign power.

Anyone else notice the SCATHING CIA report that basically detailing how many different ways the war is being lost on the ground? Even the shi-ites want the US out. I've heard Pro-war people say that Only in Tikrit and the sunni triangle they hate the US but that's blatantly UNTRUE. All over the nation, Iraqis resent and hate the US forces. Attacks are increasing from 20 per day to 30+ per day and its not a sign of desperation. Its a sign of resolve. We are bombing parts of Iraq again, to strike back.

It wasn't an accident that the President convened his cabinet and demanded a way out. Quick turnover of the gov't to Iraqis, lessening of troop levels (105k by the spring) - all the signs are there. The US is preparing to pull out, and Rove et al are praying its all a distant memory by the election.

This is my prediction. US sorts out a representative government of sorts. It looks shiney and rosey for a little bit. Troops return. V-Day style pictures propell Bush to win election. at some point afterwards Iraq plunges into inevitable civil war, after bloodshed and chaos reigns for a bit, the religious zealots take control. The country isn't worse off but isn't better off either. Every soldier who died in Iraq did so in vein.

:ph34r:

no its not a pretty picture but remember we didn't have to choose this road.

Banned
    I disagree bit.

Although this war has been ruinous for the United States, I don't believe the administration is gearing up to withdraw. Nor do I think they should.

While I'm tempted to call for a full scale withdrawal, I have to admit that any retreat at this time would only compound this mistaken misadventure and further weaken an already shaky US position in the Middle East.

The administration should (with lights and sirens) get its butt over to the United Nations and swiftly seek to internationalize the occupation of Iraq. The United States urgently needs to lower its profile there, and the help of the UN would go a long way towards achieving this as well as meeting our long term goals for Iraq.

As long as the United States alone is seen as dictating the political lives of ordinary Iraqi citizens we'll also be seen as conquers and our soldiers will be viewed as targets.

While seeking the assistance of the United Nations would be distasteful to some, I believe its the only hope we have of staving off further disaster in Iraq. I can only hope that the President has the will and fortitude to take this course of action.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by tailgators[/i]@Nov 14 2003, 03:29 PM
    [b] Although this war has been ruinous for the United States, I don't believe the administration is gearing up to withdraw. Nor do I think they should.

[/b][/quote]
    Those are both fool statements!! Ruinous to the US? Gearing up to withdraw??

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Come Back to NY+Nov 14 2003, 07:30 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Come Back to NY @ Nov 14 2003, 07:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--tailgators[/i]@Nov 14 2003, 03:29 PM
    [b] Although this war has been ruinous for the United States, I don&#39;t believe the administration is gearing up to withdraw. Nor do I think they should.

[/b][/quote]
    Those are both fool statements&#33;&#33; Ruinous to the US? Gearing up to withdraw?? [/b][/quote]
    Reading Comprehension wasn&#39;t your strong suit in school was it?

We can always count on you to add so much to the discussion. <_<

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by tailgators+Nov 14 2003, 10:23 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (tailgators @ Nov 14 2003, 10:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -Come Back to NY@Nov 14 2003, 07:30 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--tailgators[/i]@Nov 14 2003, 03:29 PM
    [b] Although this war has been ruinous for the United States, I don&#39;t believe the administration is gearing up to withdraw. Nor do I think they should.

[/b][/quote]
    Those are both fool statements&#33;&#33; Ruinous to the US? Gearing up to withdraw?? [/b][/quote]
    Reading Comprehension wasn&#39;t your strong suit in school was it?

We can always count on you to add so much to the discussion. <_< [/b][/quote]
    Just correcting your idiocy...I comprehend quite well, I just can&#39;t belive someone would be so ignorant to actually post thoughts like yours in a public forum&#33;&#33;

How has the war been "ruinous" to the United States?

All Pro
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Come Back to NY[/i]@Nov 14 2003, 11:24 PM
    [b] How has the war been "ruinous" to the United States? [/b][/quote]
    Because it&#39;s been ruinous to the party he endears so much.

Everything his party demigogs is backfiring on them.

But hopefully they get their wish and more jobs are lost -- about 10 democratic senators next November, that is&#33;

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Spirit of Weeb+Nov 15 2003, 08:37 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Spirit of Weeb @ Nov 15 2003, 08:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Come Back to NY[/i]@Nov 14 2003, 11:24 PM
    [b] How has the war been "ruinous" to the United States? [/b][/quote]

But hopefully they get their wish and more jobs are lost -- about 10 democratic senators next November, that is&#33; [/b][/quote]
    Very clever&#33;&#33;&#33;