Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weekly Jobless Numbers Fall Sharply

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [color=green]Dems better hope Saddam and his little treasure chest of WMDs stay hidden...[/color][SIZE=3]
    [b][u]Weekly Jobless Numbers Fall Sharply[/u] [/b][/SIZE]

AP - Thursday, November 20, 2003

WASHINGTON Fewer U.S. workers filed new applications for unemployment benefits last week, a sign that companies may be feeling better about the economic recovery's staying power and are slowing the pace of layoffs.

The Labor Department reported Thursday that for the week ending Nov. 15, new claims for jobless benefits declined by a seasonally adjusted 15,000 to 355,000. For seven straight weeks claims have been below the 400,000 mark, suggesting that the job market is turning a corner.

Economists believe the worst of the layoffs is over. Claims hit a high this year of 459,000 in the middle of April and have slowly drifted downward.

The more stable four-week moving average of claims, which smooths out week-to-week fluctuations, fell by 9,000 to 367,250 last week,[b] the best showing since the week ending Feb. 24, 2001[/b].

The nation's unemployment rate dipped to 6 percent in October as the economy added jobs for the third straight month, a promising note for the labor market, which has seen millions of jobs evaporate over the last three years.

The economy roared ahead at a 7.2 percent annual rate in the third quarter, the fastest pace in nearly two decades. Analysts believe the economy will grow at a solid 4 percent pace in the current quarter.

Even as the economy grows, it will still take time for the labor market to fully turn around, economists say. And, an influx of job seekers motivated by an improved economic climate could cause the unemployment rate to rise in the months ahead if job creation isn't strong enough, economists say.

The Federal Reserve, wanting to see more improvement in the jobs picture, is expected to hold a main short-term interest rate at a 45-year low of 1 percent when it meets next on Dec. 9. Economists believe rates could stay near rock-bottom levels into part of 2004.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    hey Weeb the Dems might be running out of ammo but the Iraqi's aren't.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Nov 21 2003, 12:59 PM
    [b] hey Weeb the Dems might be running out of ammo but the Iraqi's aren't. [/b][/quote]
    It's only a matter of time before that arrow gets plucked out of your quiver too.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    hey i thought you guys should know that Jobless numbers are [b]UP to 378,000.[/b] funny how you haven't been updating this thread. :D

the fact remains no president in the history of the nation has lost more American jobs than George W Bush. Its not all his fault but also he's not doing anything to help matters. Tax cuts and a foolhardy War only make things worse, not better.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Dec 11 2003, 10:41 AM
    [b] hey i thought you guys should know that Jobless numbers are UP to 378,000. funny how you haven't been updating this thread. :D

the fact remains no president in the history of the nation has lost more American jobs than George W Bush. Its not all his fault but also he's not doing anything to help matters. Tax cuts and a foolhardy War only make things worse, not better. [/b][/quote]
    Tax cuts make job creation worse?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever+Dec 11 2003, 11:42 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (jets5ever @ Dec 11 2003, 11:42 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--bitonti[/i]@Dec 11 2003, 10:41 AM
    [b] hey i thought you guys should know that Jobless numbers are UP to 378,000. funny how you haven&#39;t been updating this thread. :D

the fact remains no president in the history of the nation has lost more American jobs than George W Bush. Its not all his fault but also he&#39;s not doing anything to help matters. Tax cuts and a foolhardy War only make things worse, not better. [/b][/quote]
    Tax cuts make job creation worse? [/b][/quote]
    What tax cuts?

When you add in the higher sales taxes, property taxes, school taxes, and some higher state income taxes along with higher fees (which are really just taxes in disguise) the overall tax bill for families with incomes of &#036;100,000 or less has actually risen under President Bush&#39;s Administration.

The only people who benifited from Bush&#39;s tax cut were the wealthy.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bush has sited tax cuts as a way to stimulate the economy and create jobs. s**t "tax" and "break" were 50% of the words spoken on the President&#39;s recent Jobs and Growth tour.

meanwhile no one realizes that high taxes aren&#39;t stopping wealthy people from buying things. Wealthy people don&#39;t think about buying things they just do it, whatever their taxes are (relatively speaking). Unless you are giving corporations tax breaks to hire more people the tax break is just a gimmie to all Bush&#39;s old money buddies nationwide. Everyone else gets the shaft.

we can go round and round on the logic forever but the proof is in the pudding - we are on the third round of the president&#39;s tax breaks and the job situation is still in the toilet.

too bad all of our money is tied up in an unwinninable war otherwise the government could do something about it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bitonti - I don&#39;t intend to insult you, but you don&#39;t know what you are talking about here. I don&#39;t have the energy to get into the many things you are flatly wrong about and clearly don&#39;t grasp, as shown below.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Isn&#39;t it ironic that the overall tax bill paid by average Americans has actually gone up since Bush has been president?

Always look behind the myth and seek the truth.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever[/i]@Dec 11 2003, 12:00 PM
    [b] Bitonti - I don&#39;t intend to insult you, but you don&#39;t know what you are talking about here. I don&#39;t have the energy to get into the many things you are flatly wrong about and clearly don&#39;t grasp, as shown below. [/b][/quote]
    5-ever...My God can&#39;t you see how smug you are?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by tailgators[/i]@Dec 11 2003, 12:00 PM
    [b] Isn&#39;t it ironic that the overall tax bill paid by average Americans has actually gone up since Bush has been president?

Always look behind the myth and seek the truth. [/b][/quote]
    Fact? Links?

If you are talking about local taxes in areas mostly controlled by democrats, you&#39;re probably right.

Bloomberg is a former democrat (in Republican clothing).

And if GWB raised our federal taxes, you mean those same local governments would&#39;ve left their respective taxes alone?

Weak, very weak.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by tailgators+Dec 11 2003, 11:04 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (tailgators @ Dec 11 2003, 11:04 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--jets5ever[/i]@Dec 11 2003, 12:00 PM
    [b] Bitonti - I don&#39;t intend to insult you, but you don&#39;t know what you are talking about here. I don&#39;t have the energy to get into the many things you are flatly wrong about and clearly don&#39;t grasp, as shown below. [/b][/quote]
    5-ever...My God can&#39;t you see how smug you are? [/b][/quote]
    Bite me.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever+Dec 11 2003, 04:24 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (jets5ever @ Dec 11 2003, 04:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -tailgators@Dec 11 2003, 11:04 AM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--jets5ever[/i]@Dec 11 2003, 12:00 PM
    5-ever...My God can&#39;t you see how smug you are? [/b][/quote]
    Bite me. [/b][/quote]
    That&#39;s an intelligent response.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by tailgators[/i]@Dec 11 2003, 03:35 PM
    [b]
    That&#39;s an intelligent response. [/b][/quote]
    cram it with walnuts, Toonces.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever+Dec 11 2003, 04:41 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (jets5ever @ Dec 11 2003, 04:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--tailgators[/i]@Dec 11 2003, 03:35 PM
    [b]
    cram it with walnuts, Toonces. [/b][/quote]
    Geez...What the hell is your problem?

I haven&#39;t sent you a tuition bill in month&#39;s and look at all of the schooling I&#39;ve provided you with.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by tailgators+Dec 11 2003, 03:43 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (tailgators @ Dec 11 2003, 03:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -jets5ever@Dec 11 2003, 04:41 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--tailgators[/i]@Dec 11 2003, 03:35 PM
    [b]

I haven&#39;t sent you a tuition bill in month&#39;s and look at all of the schooling I&#39;ve provided you with. [/b][/quote]
    No real problem Tail, just don&#39;t feel like dealing with you anymore...you&#39;re a joke.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever+Dec 11 2003, 04:46 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (jets5ever @ Dec 11 2003, 04:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -tailgators@Dec 11 2003, 03:43 PM
    [b] [quote]Originally posted by -jets5ever@Dec 11 2003, 04:41 PM
    [b]

I haven&#39;t sent you a tuition bill in month&#39;s and look at all of the schooling I&#39;ve provided you with. [/b][/quote]
    No real problem Tail, just don&#39;t feel like dealing with you anymore...you&#39;re a joke. [/b][/quote]
    Well the feeling is mutual.
    I&#39;ve exposed you&#39;re hypocracy and I guess you just can&#39;t take it.

You&#39;ve been proven wrong on about 90% of your political positions.

What ever happened to you being really pissed if no WMD&#39;s were found in Iraq? I guess that was just a convenient reply.

You&#39;ve demonstrated that your just a political hack with talking points and an academic fraud.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by tailgators+Dec 11 2003, 03:48 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (tailgators @ Dec 11 2003, 03:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -jets5ever@Dec 11 2003, 04:46 PM
    [b] [quote]Originally posted by -tailgators@Dec 11 2003, 03:43 PM
    [b] [quote]Originally posted by -jets5ever@Dec 11 2003, 04:41 PM
    [b]

No real problem Tail, just don&#39;t feel like dealing with you anymore...you&#39;re a joke. [/b][/quote]
    Well the feeling is mutual.
    I&#39;ve exposed you&#39;re hypocracy and I guess you just can&#39;t take it.

You&#39;ve been proven wrong on about 90% of your political positions.

What ever happened to you being really pissed if no WMD&#39;s were found in Iraq? I guess that was just a convenient reply.

You&#39;ve demonstrated that your just a political hack with talking points and an academic fraud. [/b][/quote]
    Believe what you want dude, I can&#39;t stop you.

Man, I used to feel badly for you about what your wife did...now I understand her actions completely...you are unbearable.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever[/i]@Dec 11 2003, 04:55 PM
    [b] Believe what you want dude, I can&#39;t stop you.

Man, I used to feel badly for you about what your wife did...now I understand her actions completely...you are unbearable. [/b][/quote]
    Whatever, this is the last time I&#39;ll deal with you. Your not capable of being in my company.

You&#39;ve got no class.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by tailgators+Dec 11 2003, 03:59 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (tailgators @ Dec 11 2003, 03:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--jets5ever[/i]@Dec 11 2003, 04:55 PM
    [b] Believe what you want dude, I can&#39;t stop you.

Man, I used to feel badly for you about what your wife did...now I understand her actions completely...you are unbearable. [/b][/quote]
    Whatever, this is the last time I&#39;ll deal with you. Your not capable of being in my company.

You&#39;ve got no class. [/b][/quote]
    You are perfectly comfortable when dishing it Tail, I guess you can&#39;t take it?

[b]Believe[/b] me, no great loss.