Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chappaquiddic Ted Gets a Free Pass Yet Again

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

After Democrats prevailed in their judicial filibuster standoff against Republican senators on Friday, Kennedy boasted, "What has not ended is the resolution and the determination of the members of the United States Senate to continue to resist any [b]Neanderthal[/b] that is nominated by this president of the United States for any court, federal court in the United States."

Considering that a number of the rejected nominees were minorities, can ANY of you on the left say with a straight face that any Republican who made such a remark would still have his position? Considering that this comment received coverage by only THREE newspapers nationwide (according to a Lexis Nexis search), this is a BLATANT example of the HYPOCRICY of the liberal media -- and the Democrat party for that matter. Tom Daschle actually had the nerve to defend the remark on Fox News Sunday. Could you imagine him defending the remark had it come out of the mouth of Bill Frist?

Just think of the tidal wave of indignation and charges of racism when Ross Perot had the gall to refer to a gathering of African-Americans as "you people.' OhmyLord, those were RACIST CODE WORDS!! The stampede from the left to castigate Mr. Perot resembled a friggin 1810 buffalo stampede across Wyoming. Of course, it received "above the fold" coverage in every liberal rag from Bangor to Sacramento.

Any one of my political counterparts here, tell me, honestly, would any Republican get away with the SAME statement under the SAME circumstances? And if not, WHY NOT? You know the answer...

Banned
    Only an uneducated racist would draw this conclusion. Perhaps the author of this thread ought to buy a dictionary and look up the word in question sometime. But he won't, because he's too stupid and lazy to do so.

shakin, and some of our other friends here should get their minds out of the gutter and read some books for a change. We'd all be better off for it.

shakin personnally i find your avatar of a caucasian brutalizing what appears to be a person of color racist and offensive

:D

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Nov 21 2003, 12:58 PM
    [b] shakin personnally i find your avatar of a caucasian brutalizing what appears to be a person of color racist and offensive

:D [/b][/quote]
    That's Wahoo McDaniels delivering the punishment -- a fine New York Jet if there ever was one.

Seriously bit, do you think the media and the Democratic party would ignore Bill Frist making the same comment in the same situation?

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by tailgators[/i]@Nov 21 2003, 11:45 AM
    [b] Only an uneducated racist would draw this conclusion. Perhaps the author of this thread ought to buy a dictionary and look up the word in question sometime. But he won't, because he's too stupid and lazy to do so.

shakin, and some of our other friends here should get their minds out of the gutter and read some books for a change. We'd all be better off for it. [/b][/quote]
    Tail, tell me, what do you think of Ted Kennedy? Good man?

"Crude, boorish and slow witted." - certainly, if Bill Frist had described minority candidates this way the NY Times would defend it, along with Ted Kennedy himself and Tom Daschle. (I am reasonaly certain Ted was not implying that these judges were a different species) I wonder how you'd react if George Bush called Al Sharpton a "cave man."

Maureen Dowd, your hero, catsigated Clarence Thomas for his dissent in the Michigan affirmative action decision. She essentially called him an ungrateful black man who only got to where he is because of affirmative action. This is 1) unbelievably insulting, condescending and (yes) racist to assume that all blacks should play ball with a liberal agenda or are "uncle Toms" if they (gasp!) have conservative views and 2) EXACTLY the kind of thing opponents of race-based affirmative acion seek to dissuade - namely, the belief that minorites who acheive success didn't earn it.

Tail - I can appreciate that you hate Bush. But why are you a liberal Democrat? You have said before you are against abortion, or at the very least, think it is atrocious (if memory serves) so why do you support people who are not pro-life, and, in fact, support people who demonize (see: Neanderthal comments) those that are pro-life??

How do you reconcile those things, especially with your Catholicism? (Not trying to attack you, it just seems incompatible to me....)

i don't have the race breakdown but it was my impression that out of the 4 rejected candidates only 1 was a minority. Estrada pulled out, but even if you want to count him that's only 2 of 5.

If all of the rejected candidates were minorities maybe you have a point shakin but if the breakup is half or less its a mixed bag.

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever[/i]@Nov 21 2003, 01:29 PM
    [b] Tail, tell me, what do you think of Ted Kennedy? Good man?

[/b][/quote]
    I can't speak about anything but his professional record, and in my view he's been a great Senator.

IMO, Working Men and Women, the poor, and the Elderly have no greater advocate in Congress than Senator Kennedy.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Nov 21 2003, 01:51 PM
    [b] i don't have the race breakdown but it was my impression that out of the 4 rejected candidates only 1 was a minority. Estrada pulled out, but even if you want to count him that's only 2 of 5.

If all of the rejected candidates were minorities maybe you have a point shakin but if the breakup is half or less its a mixed bag. [/b][/quote]
    It's not a numbers game and you know it, bit. Answer the simple, clear question: If Bill Frist had said the same thing under the same circumstances, do you think it would be met with the same apathy and indifference by the media and the Democrat party?

The supposed "party of the people" and their tools in the media run around with ears the size of pizza pies just hoping to hear any conservative Republican utter ANYTHING that can be construed as racist -- no matter how far they have to stretch and twist the interpretation. That is undeniable. And once they pick up on something -- anything -- the eager, indignant and vocal masses are mobilized and the unwitting sap is SKEWERED.

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by shakin318[/i]@Nov 21 2003, 02:22 PM
    [b] It's not a numbers game and you know it, bit. Answer the simple, clear question: If Bill Frist had said the same thing under the same circumstances, do you think it would be met with the same apathy and indifference by the media and the Democrat party?

[/b][/quote]
    shakin you shreiking Magpie...

There's no there, there! Since the word in question (neanderthal) has no relavance to anything racial you have no point here, and you're shreiks are just embarrassing.

For God's sake. please take the time to go over to the bookshelf (if you have one) take down the dictionary and look it up for yourself.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by tailgators+Nov 21 2003, 01:31 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (tailgators @ Nov 21 2003, 01:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--shakin318[/i]@Nov 21 2003, 02:22 PM
    [b] It&#39;s not a numbers game and you know it, bit. Answer the simple, clear question: If Bill Frist had said the same thing under the same circumstances, do you think it would be met with the same apathy and indifference by the media and the Democrat party?

[/b][/quote]
    shakin you shreiking Magpie...

There&#39;s no there, there&#33; Since the word in question (neanderthal) has no relavance to anything racial you have no point here, and you&#39;re shreiks are just embarrassing.

For God&#39;s sake. please take the time to go over to the bookshelf (if you have one) take down the dictionary and look it up for yourself. [/b][/quote]
    It&#39;s a perjorative word, Tail. There&#39;s nothing racial about calling someone a monkey, either. I could easily call a white person or a black person a monkey, yet inexplicably it is only deemed a racist comment when directed at a black person.

Why is that? (Please explain why this is [i]without[/i] being racist, cause if you say it&#39;s cause blacks look more like monkeys than whites do you are clearly being racist&#33;&#33;&#33;)

Of course I don&#39;t think blacks look any more like monkeys than whites do. I am pointing out a double-standard, which is what shakin was doing. I am willing to bet you think even think [i]this post [/i]is racist, which is ironic&#33;

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Jets5, whether or not it was intended as a racist remark, a slip indicating a racist character, an innocent choice of an unfortunate word or a perfectly acceptable comment is completely irrelevant to my point.

My question to bit was simply this: If Bill Frist had uttered the same comment under the same circumstances, does he believe it would be ignored by the media and the Democrat party? I happen to think he&#39;d be fighting to hold onto his job right now. It&#39;s a simple yes or no answer.

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever[/i]@Nov 21 2003, 02:45 PM
    [b] It&#39;s a perjorative word, Tail. [/b][/quote]
    No it isn&#39;t. It isn&#39;t pejorative either.

In the context the Senator was using it, it simply means beginner or inexperienced.

shakins pathetic insinuation seems to belie the sincerity of his racial attitudes rather than that of the Senator&#39;s.

5ever, there is a clear legacy and history of "monkey" being used as a slander for black people; that is not the case with the word "neanderthal".

I&#39;ve called people neanderthals several times in jest, for having simplistic views or being bloodthirsty for killing any and all arabs after 9/11 no matter whether or not they were responsible.

Kennedy made a dumb remark, but it was not a racist remark. Trent Lott&#39;s remarks were far more sinister with regard to "all those problems"; do you or shakin feel he got a raw deal? And in the end, it was his own party who hung him out to dry, not the "liberal media". The affair didn&#39;t become front page news until prominent NAACP people started raising hell over it.

If they aren&#39;t touching Kennedy&#39;s remarks, and you really believe that the comment is racist because less than half of the nominees were "minority" (and not even the same minority at that), blame THEM and not the media or the Democratic Party. Especially since we all know shakin would have never posted this thread at all if it weren&#39;t for SOME media out there making it a talking point for Angry conservatives and their persecution complex.

And if we really want to take this beyond partisan lines, where DO each of you stand on cases of these remarks? What should be the &#39;punishment&#39;? Should they be fired from their seats, or just complained about in enough "media" and message boards for the appropriate amount of time? Because in theory if you think Kennedy was out of line you aren&#39;t sad about what happened to Lott?

All League
    Well.....there is a clear double standard in the media and anyone who cannot see that clearly is not looking at the media situation objectively.

As for the esteemed Senator from....{ hiccup }...Mass.....neanderthal was obviously a not so well thought out word and I find it hard to believe it had a racial meaning behind it.

However.....5 ever&#39;s point is 100 % correct in regards to the media, if a republican said it you can rest assured the liberal media lynch mob { no pun intended } would be lining up to call for the insensitive ingrates immediate resignation.

Kinda like how they handled the Lott situation, the guy clearly was trying to compliment Sen Thurmond at his 100th birthday party and made a comment that I&#39;m pretty sure seemed innocent to him at the time, I doubt very seriously Sen Lott meant to offend anyone but no matter, the media leapt on the chance to try to disgrace him.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Jet Set Junta[/i]@Nov 21 2003, 03:08 PM
    [b] 5ever, there is a clear legacy and history of "monkey" being used as a slander for black people; that is not the case with the word "neanderthal".

I&#39;ve called people neanderthals several times in jest, for having simplistic views or being bloodthirsty for killing any and all arabs after 9/11 no matter whether or not they were responsible.

Kennedy made a dumb remark, but it was not a racist remark. Trent Lott&#39;s remarks were far more sinister with regard to "all those problems"; do you or shakin feel he got a raw deal? And in the end, it was his own party who hung him out to dry, not the "liberal media". The affair didn&#39;t become front page news until prominent NAACP people started raising hell over it.

If they aren&#39;t touching Kennedy&#39;s remarks, and you really believe that the comment is racist because less than half of the nominees were "minority" (and not even the same minority at that), blame THEM and not the media or the Democratic Party. Especially since we all know shakin would have never posted this thread at all if it weren&#39;t for SOME media out there making it a talking point for Angry conservatives and their persecution complex.

And if we really want to take this beyond partisan lines, where DO each of you stand on cases of these remarks? What should be the &#39;punishment&#39;? Should they be fired from their seats, or just complained about in enough "media" and message boards for the appropriate amount of time? Because in theory if you think Kennedy was out of line you aren&#39;t sad about what happened to Lott? [/b][/quote]
    You bring up interesting points, yet fail to answer the simple question still hanging out there: If Bill Frist had made the same comment under the same circumstances, do you believe the media, the Democrat party and (good point you made) the NAACP would be treating (or ignoring) it the way they are with Kennedy?

[b]Guys, it is a simple yes or no answer.[/b]

JetSet, I&#39;d love to answer the questions you posed, but why not get mine out of the way first?

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by shakin318[/i]@Nov 21 2003, 03:21 PM
    [b] Guys, it is a simple yes or no answer.

[/b][/quote]
    Ok the answer is yes.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Jet Set Junta[/i]@Nov 21 2003, 02:08 PM
    [b] 5ever, there is a clear legacy and history of "monkey" being used as a slander for black people; that is not the case with the word "neanderthal".

And if we really want to take this beyond partisan lines, where DO each of you stand on cases of these remarks? What should be the &#39;punishment&#39;? Should they be fired from their seats, or just complained about in enough "media" and message boards for the appropriate amount of time? Because in theory if you think Kennedy was out of line you aren&#39;t sad about what happened to Lott? [/b][/quote]
    Tail - if you are unwilling to admit that Kennedy was using it in a perjoratove manner than you are just a hack. Unless he really thinks they are not homo sapiens, the word means "Crude, boorish and slow witted." You lose.

The Democrats are racist towards conservative minorities and I do think that dubbing people who are pro-life as "neanderthals" is bigoted. If you don&#39;t think racist applies because x-y% of the nominees are minorities as opposed to x%, than that is your right. Also, it is very relevant that Kennedy was NOT speaking in jest. You may not think Democrats are racist towards conservative minorities, but I do. I also regard support for affirmative action as racist by definition and challenge anyone to both define racism and then defend AA as non-racist.

A neanderthal is a different species and one that it far less intelligent than ours, like monkeys or gorillas. What is the difference between calling someone a neanderthal and calling someone a monkey, in effect?? This is PRECISELY why I chose the word monkey. The history against blacks is PRECISELY why Kennedy&#39;s remarks draw a double-standard. If Frist had used the word neanderthal to describe a black nominee, the media would have freaked out, saying it harkened bask to the days when they were called monkeys, or some such nonsense. YOU KNOW THIS IS TRUE.

No, I do not think Kennedy should be penalized and no, I agree that his comments weren&#39;t racist. I am just saying that a double standard exists and that yes, democrats demonize any conservative minoritym largely for not playing ball, whic, to me, is racist..perhaps not as overt as the N-word, but racist nonetheless. The Dems clearly have a model for how they want minorities to think aboutb issues and attack any of them who are outside of that.

Trent Lott was pressured by his party and it is their fault for caving to the hysterical ramblings of the NAACP and others. The difference, however, is that the hysteria doesn&#39;t ever come up for guys like Kennedy. It&#39;s like the groping thing - NOW didn&#39;t care when Billy did it, but cared when Arnold did it. Yes - the GOP has the same double-standard on this issue too, but that still doesn&#39;t mean the other one doesn&#39;t exist.

What were Lott&#39;s exact remarks? Didn&#39;t he say something like "Things would have been different?" Who knnows if they were sinister remarks or not? I don&#39;t know. This culture is much to quick to shout "racist&#33;" and it is predominantly when only when conservatives do it that an outcry ensues. That Cruz Bustamante guy used the N-word in public in 2001 - did YOU hear about that in the California election?

Thanks for at least tackling it fairly. The Bill Frist hypothesis:

The Democratic Party -- yes, and I&#39;d find it opposition politics as usual. If the Republican Party isn&#39;t making a big deal about Kennedy right now, then they have more restraint than I give them credit for OR it&#39;s just not an inflammatory enough remark for them to risk looking like whiny jerks. The Bill Clinton affairs from Whitewhater thru the Impeachment don&#39;t exactly paint the party as the caricature of maturity and restraint, and to some degree it&#39;s productive to have an opposition party criticizing those in power.

The NAACP -- not sure; I&#39;d have to know what their history with Kennedy is better. I know he&#39;s not universally loved by minority activists groups by any means.

The Media -- ONLY if either of the first two led the charge. The media hasn&#39;t said much about Bill Frist since he got nominated, and they&#39;ve had plenty of opporutnity to slam the job he&#39;s done. He just has flown below the radar for the most part, unlike say Newt Gingrich who invited a lot of the high profile he had as Speaker.

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever[/i]@Nov 21 2003, 03:31 PM
    [b] Tail - if you are unwilling to admit that Kennedy was using it in a perjoratove manner than you are just a hack. Unless he really thinks they are not homo sapiens, the word means "Crude, boorish and slow witted." [/b][/quote]
    Well it sure describes you to a tee.

BTW...I think you probably mean pejorative.

shakin to answer your question, i think if bill frist called a group of 5 individuals "neanderthals" and only 2 of the 5 were minority, no one would be making a racial deal out of it.

What makes me laugh is the idea that somehow the "liberal media" are controlling the thoughts of the country.

Cmon guys there&#39;s a Republican President and Republican Majorities in congress. The Supreme Court is majority Republican nominees. Arnold is only the latest in a long line of GOP governors. there are a million right wing pundits that get fantasitc ratings. and the left has what, Al Franken? Fox news is gospel truth for a great majority of the country.

You are officially the establishment. You won. Anything that gets f-ed up is officially the fault of the GOP. The dems are defeated. The days of Clinton are long past. Ted Kennedy and his ilk are marginalized. Fillibuster is all they have left. Yet the great GOP revolution marches on with an US vs THEM mentality.

Wake up, There are no THEM anymore.