Thread: Schilling to Sawx

Hall Of Fame
    Sawx get right to talk to Schilling. If he signs a contract within 72 hours, they will send Fossum and prospects to Arizona.

Reports also indicate that a certain Tampa resident is racking up serious phone bills and cursing a whole bunch at underlings.

it's gonna get interesting fast...

Hall Of Fame
    Bugg - do you have a link?

Hall Of Fame
    Being reported on FAN-nothing on ESPN or SI yet.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by Bugg@Nov 24 2003, 03:02 PM
    Being reported on FAN-nothing on ESPN or SI yet.
    Thanks Bugg, appreciated.

All League
    If Schilling goes to Red Sox real good addition for them in just giving up Fossum from pro roster.
    George your counterattack awaits.

Hall Of Fame
    CBSsportline-

Red Sox reportedly close to acquiring Schilling
    Nov. 24, 2003
    SportsLine.com wire reports

NEW YORK -- The Boston Red Sox reportedly have a deal in place to acquire star right-hander Curt Schilling from the Arizona Diamondbacks. WFAN radio in New York reports Schilling, who has a no-trade clause in his contract, has 72 hours to accept or reject the deal and it also has to be approved by the commissioner's office.

It's believed Schilling wants an extension of his current contract, which expires at the end of the 2004 season.

The deal would reportedly send pitcher Casey Fossum and prospects to the Diamondbacks.

The 37-year-old Schilling earlier said he'd be willing to accept a trade to two teams, the New York Yankees or Philadelphia Phillies.

Schilling's salary is for $12 million next year and with incentives that can rise to $14 million. He has pitched for Arizona since being traded from Philadelphia in the middle of the 2000 season. This past year, Schilling battled injuries and went 8-9 with a 2.95 ERA

ESPN.com is reporting the deal would be Fossom, Lyons, and 2 prospects for Schilling, who has a "window" to agree with the Sox on a contract extension. I can see the Sox giving him the 3 years, close to $40 million, since they would then not resign Pedro after 2004. So Schilling replaces Pedro, in essence.

The issue is what do the Sox do about the extra $12 - $14 million that Schilling is due for 2003? Do they lose the witherwall to resign Ortiz, and let the chance for A-Rod go? Maybe.

Hall Of Fame
    I'm still not convinced the Sox will get him. The yanks may make another move.

Originally posted by ScottishJet@Nov 25 2003, 08:26 PM
    I'm still not convinced the Sox will get him. The yanks may make another move.
    The Sox have this 72 hour window, which ends on Friday afternoon. The Yanks can do nothing until that time regarding Schilling.

This is a major opportunity for the Sox. They better not blow this one, although we Yankee fans sure hope they do. I also hope the Yanks don't counterattack by doing anything foolish like trading Johnson or something, or overpaying for Colon.

Hall Of Fame
    Apparently the Sox are also in a bidding war with the A's and Mets for Foulke, and the neighborhood is $8mm per, and the Sox are considering offering one more year than most other teams.

If they do get Foulke and Schilling, you'd think they'd stop pursuing ARod as aggresively. Who knows - they do appear to be making a strong run and have clearly decided that the time is now and that these next couple of seasons represent their best chance to take it all.

Pedro, Schilling, Lowe, Wake and Kim as starters, with Timlin setting the table and Foulke closing...and a lineup that features Nomar, Manny and Ortiz as it's "heart" is a strong squad.

5 good pitchers and 5 very different pitchers

5ever - In one of the other threads, in the A-Rod sweepstakes, if the Sox get A-Rod while in the process dumping Manny and trading Nomar, they in essence trade 37 million (Manny and Nomar's projected income) for A-Rod's 25 million which will free up some cash. I said yesterday and believe that Schilling is the transition to the next Boston ace. Sox dump Pedro after next year and they still have Schilling and Lowe and can focus on getting a young stud like Beckett and have him under Schil's tutelage for his last few years. I would rather have Schilling teaching/mentoring the next ace then Pedro.

That being said, I would say it is 50/50 at best Schil leaves Zona and probably less..

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by PFSIKH@Nov 26 2003, 10:07 AM
    5ever - In one of the other threads, in the A-Rod sweepstakes, if the Sox get A-Rod while in the process dumping Manny and trading Nomar, they in essence trade 37 million (Manny and Nomar's projected income) for A-Rod's 25 million which will free up some cash. I said yesterday and believe that Schilling is the transition to the next Boston ace. Sox dump Pedro after next year and they still have Schilling and Lowe and can focus on getting a young stud like Beckett and have him under Schil's tutelage for his last few years. I would rather have Schilling teaching/mentoring the next ace then Pedro.

That being said, I would say it is 50/50 at best Schil leaves Zona and probably less..
    SIKH -

That would be an ideal scenario and yes, agreed about Schilling VS. Pedro in that regard.

Here's the rub - what are the chances they can make the ARod happen? Less or more than Schill?

It's interesting stuff to talk about over the holidays, for sure...

I tend to think the chances are greater for Schilling, but that could 100% be due to me living up here and buying into the media frenzy this move has created....

Originally posted by jets5ever@Nov 26 2003, 03:10 PM
    Here's the rub - what are the chances they can make the ARod happen? Less or more than Schill?
    I think they are good. The Rangers just have to realize they are not dealing from a postition of strength. When the only two teams in the markets have the 2A and 2B SSs in MLB and can have them for 8 million cheaper, you make the best possible deal. It makes me thinkk the ownership are reluctant to part with him because they look like idiots for signing him (not that they do not already).

I do not think the odds are that bad for Schil coming to Boston, but IMHO I think he stays.

All League
    Schilling seems to have a great relationship with Francona from his previous days in Philly.
    With it looking like certainty Francona will be hired Schilling will be content with his 14M or so contract extension for a couple of years-this I think will be a done deal

Originally posted by faba@Nov 26 2003, 02:38 PM
    Schilling seems to have a great relationship with Francona from his previous days in Philly.
    With it looking like certainty Francona will be hired Schilling will be content with his 14M or so contract extension for a couple of years-this I think will be a done deal
    Wonder if Schilling is just stringing along the Sox so they hire Francona, then he backs out at the last moment, leaving the Sox with Francona, but no Schilling? They say Curt is a bit difficult to deal with, although he has a reputation of always being prepared to pitch, and never turning down the ball.

A pitcher we could get 33-35 starts out of? That would suck.

I think Francona was a done deal before hand. He had his second interview before the Schilling stuff started.

Hall Of Fame
    It's about money. Who ever he signs with, he will make a speech at his introductory press conference professing his lifelong love of his new (check-writing ) team and their tradition. Giambi probably couldn't have picked Mickey Mantle out of a lineup before he cashed his bonus check. Not to say there's anything wrong with that either.

If you can get 2 years out a great starter like Schilling for the immortal Casey Fossum and some spare young parts(Kevin Youklis?) you've got a great deal. In Fossum's case(and that of many lefties), being lefhanded means you never are without employment.

The Sox and Schilling have been given a 24 hour extension to make the deal which kind of makes an article in one of the Boston paper's that the sides are apart on the contract.

Hall Of Fame
    No need-DONE. Expect the Bronx/Tampa phone lines to start burning...By Jayson Stark

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?id=1673290

ESPN.com

After three days of negotiations, the Red Sox and Curt Schilling have agreed to a deal on a two-year contract extension. Sources with knowledge of the negotiations say the deal will be announced later Friday night.

Schilling will then waive his no-trade clause and approve the four-for-one trade that the Red Sox and Diamondbacks agreed to Monday.

Schilling is signed for the 2004 season for $12 million. It's expected that his extension will be for two more guaranteed years (through 2006), with a vesting option that will guarantee a third season in 2007 if he stays healthy.