Thread: Howard Dean

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, I have said before that it makes no difference to me whether a presidential candidate has served or not. As we get further and further from the era of conscription, our Presidents are going to be less and less likely to have served, it seems.

But it's funny that the Dems use names like AWOL Bush, when they had previously elected a draft dodger and are about to nominate a guy whose back was hurting so much that he couldn't serve, yet proceeded to go skiing for a year afterwards and hiking and is on record asessentially admitting that he was trying to get out of serving...even his MOTHER says "this looks bad." (Yeah, yeah, CANDIDATE Dean is all about "The US government didn't want me to serve, end of story" but his quotes from years back are much more inflammatory)

Not that this matters in the scheme of things and it's only a huge issue because people have been hysterical about things like this on both sides, but I wonder if the Dems, in light of this fact, will stop referring to W as AWOL Bush. Probably not.

John Kerry is such a gutless weathervane as a candidate. It's no wonder he can't even out-poll Dean in his own state.

I will say this for Dean, Angry, irrational anti-Bush rhetoric and Iraq aside, he's not as bad as he seems. I don't even think he'd be stupid enough to 100% pull out of Iraq if he got elected, but that remains to be seen.

Anyways - he's a lot better than the other Dems. Not saying I am going to vote for him or even that I think he can win - just that he's the best of the bunch, by FAR. He wants to raise taxes and spend, spend spend...but Bush spends like a big government guy, too. I am not really down with all of his liberal idealogies, but they ALL have them, so what's the difference there?

My point is that for all that I don't like about him, he's head and shoulders above the rest of the pack. They are desparate and it shows. He'll make a huge move towards the center aftre he sews it nomination up. This may piss off his core supporters who are essentially supporting him cause they are irrationaly hateful towards Bush, but Dean is bright and ambitious enough to realize that he'll have to become moderate to have any chance of winning. Besides, even if his core guys are pissed at him, he KNOWS they won't vote for Bush.

It's the same with Bush's guys - he is a spender and big government guy...but they KNOW that conservatives have no other option. Elections are fun, huh?

Thoughts?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Actually Dean reminds me of that Republican Maverick...McCain...very charismatic..they even look alike..

LL

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    either way i hope the democratic party gets it act together and decides on which one of their mediocre candidates they will support soon. if they don't, fundraising will become an issue and gdub and his unlimited bag of money and his strausian support group will run away with the election and fulfill their goal of world domination.

$400 billion on medicare?
    $82 billion "emergency fund" for iraq?

thats a lot of dough w/o even beginning to address the other issues: social security, EDUCATION, the economy...et al

on a side note, ive currently been in europe for the past 4 months and if only you guys could begin to see the anti-bush sentiment that is prevalent in this continent. it is sickening in one sense but true in the other. people go out of their way here to make known their hatred for this man...

another thing you guys might enjoy, its a conspiracy theory to say the least but its frightening:

1840: William Henry Harrison (died in office)
    1860: Abraham Lincoln (assassinated)
    1880: James A. Garfield (assassinated)
    1900: William McKinley (assassinated)
    1920: Warren G. Harding (died in office)
    1940: Franklin D. Roosevelt (died in office)
    1960: John F. Kennedy (assassinated)
    1980: Ronald Reagan (survived assassination attempt)
    2000: George W. Bush ????????????

Dave

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, Bush is stupid, a war-monger, arrogant, bent on world-domination, a fascist, a racist, anti-women, a God-head, an oil crony, led around by Jews, an election-stealer and all he cares about is killing Iraqi children and he is eventually going to stop holdings elections at all (as opposed to stealing them) and become a dictator. Oh - he also caused 9-11, and there really isn't a terrorist threat, but even still, Bush's "rush" to war has made that non-existent problem even worse.

European opinion means everything. ;)

(kidding- welcome to the forum)

You're right that the Dems need to back one guy. I think it is pretty much all over and Dean will win. Gep has a chance in Iowa, but if Dean wins Iowa it's over. If Gep wins Iowa and somehow someone else wins NH, than MAYBE Dean won't get the nomination, but that looks highly unlikely, IMO.

I still think that Bush will win over 40 states in 2004 - maybe even as many as 44.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I write all this as a Bush supporter.

Simply, Dean has a gret deal of cash already.He's tapped the internet like no other candidate in history, such to the point that his loosely-knit web organization scares the crap out of the old-line Dem bosses. He's almost a lock for the nomination. His problem is whether the old guard bosses-and the Clintons-will let him use their network for support. Hillary! won't do anything to jeopardize her 2008 run, and a good run by Dean might threaten that. The Clintons may support in public but savage Dean when and where it really matters. Plus, this blood fight amongst these candidates is not good for him at all. He merely suggests that appealing to Southern white guys might be helpful,and the next thing you know, he's explaining himself to Al Sharpton.

As I've said before, I wouldn't vote for Dean. His draft/skiing thing is embarrassing. But he has a record of being much more moderate as governor(balanced budget, gun rights) than the image he now projects. I can respect that he's a liberal who's not hiding from his beliefs or harboring some hidden agenda. I still think Bush will win, but Dean will be much more of a formidable candidate than you might think.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    the only chance the Dems have is Wesley Clark, and if he doesn't get his head out of his ass soon, then the DEMS have NO CHANCE.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by selee[/i]@Nov 26 2003, 08:47 AM
    [b] on a side note, ive currently been in europe for the past 4 months [/b][/quote]
    Do you really think that Americans care what the Frogs, Krauts etc think.
    Europe is a continent of pussies

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jetman67+Dec 11 2003, 12:48 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (jetman67 @ Dec 11 2003, 12:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--selee[/i]@Nov 26 2003, 08:47 AM
    [b] on a side note, ive currently been in europe for the past 4 months [/b][/quote]
    Europe is a continent of pussies [/b][/quote]
    Yeah&#33; They&#39;d never get so mad during a ballgame that they&#39;d knock over their own tv set and scare the hell out of the wife and kids&#33;

Too bad they can&#39;t be tough guys like you.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by tailgators+Dec 11 2003, 12:53 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (tailgators @ Dec 11 2003, 12:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -jetman67@Dec 11 2003, 12:48 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--selee[/i]@Nov 26 2003, 08:47 AM
    Yeah&#33; They&#39;d never get so mad during a ballgame that they&#39;d knock over their own tv set and scare the hell out of the wife and kids&#33;

Too bad they can&#39;t be tough guys like you. [/b][/quote]
    LMAO&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; When are you gonna stop by 16H for a beer with Jetman???

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, Europeans commit much more violence at soccer games than we do in this country at football and hockey games. But calling Europe a "continent of pussies" is so beyond ignorant and out-of-touch that it&#39;s hard to even respond to it.

I take it you&#39;re voting for Bush in &#39;04, jetman? :D

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by tailgators+Dec 11 2003, 12:53 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (tailgators @ Dec 11 2003, 12:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -jetman67@Dec 11 2003, 12:48 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--selee[/i]@Nov 26 2003, 08:47 AM

Too bad they can&#39;t be tough guys like you. [/b][/quote]
    Nah, they just have riots and fans get trampled to death.