Thread: Schilling to Sox done deal

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Now lets hear Sawx fans who said that Rog-ah was too old....now jump on the old-foggie bandwagon!!

This move DOES NOT scare me at all....now if Thea picks up ARod...thats a different story!!

Two questions for you JonE.

Who would rather face late in a Game 7? Wakefield? Schilling?

Which pitcher is more feared in a rotation? One with John Burkett? One with Schilling?

We both know the answer to these questions. Schilling.

Even the most ardent Yankee fan realizes Schilling makes the Sox rotation stronger. I would rather have seen Theo get Josh Beckett or Mark Prior, but Schilling is a nice addition. I floated a scenario last week, if Schilling even comes close to his 2002 or earlier form, Pedro is gone next offseason and the Sox resign Varitek, Trot and Lowe while possibly making another run at a big FA pitcher. One of the A's must be nearing FA soon.

If Schilling is the Schilling of 2002, 2001 then the Sox got a great deal.

Now it will be interesting to see how the Yankees respond.

Houston offers Pettitte 3 yrs 30 million, My guess is that the Yankees will come back 4 yrs 48-50 million for Pettitte.

Then it comes down to seeing if the Yankees go after Colon or Vazquez if Pettitte decides to go to Houston then the Yanks go hard for both.

Sheffield in right. I would still like to see if the Yankees could make a deal for Magglio Ordonez but I don't think they don't have enough to make that deal.

The one guy I would really like to see them get but I know it isn't even on their radar is Craig Biggio. Even if it is for one year he gives you a leadoff hitter and a guy who can play second or the outfield. If he could give you a year (two would be better) then you could really find out if Soriano could play the outfield.

Well that is basically my wishlist for now.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Sahwn

I agree...the yanks are running out there trying to get Sheffield...when they really need a Biggio type!!

Jose Vidro would be nice....but Hey...Biggio is a LI kid from Kings Park and would probably love to play for the Yanks! B)

Hall Of Fame
    Biggio can play CF or 2B. You can pretty much pencil him in for .430 OBA, .295, 15 HRs 90 RBIs, 120 runs, and 15 SB. Makes a ton of sense. Sheffield is asking fro moron money $15-17 million. he's a good player, but not that good.

Figure the Yanks re-sign Pettitte, trade Jonhson and Juan Rivera for Vidro and Vasquez, and then make a decision in Colon and the other Matsui. We'll see...

Schilling is a "HIRED GUN" he shouldn't even be considered a Red Sock. Does this sound familiar Red Sox fans?

Where are the Beltran to Yanks rumors?

He is int he last year of his contract before FA, .307 26 HR, 100 RBI, 102 runs, 41 SB and he played the last month of the season hurt and still balled.

Jetlag
    I could give a s**t. If by the wild chance he ends and 85 year drought he will be enshrined in Sox lore....otherwise he is another piece to dethrone the AL Kings Yanks.

Hall Of Fame
    There's nothing wrong with being a hired gun. And no one is pretending otherwise. Though Schilling as you would expect mouthed some nonsense about history and tradition and blah, blah, blah. Hey, what ever. It's not like the Yanks haven't done the same thing on any number of occasions.

That's a formidable Sawx rotation-if everyone stays healthy.

KC is willing to trade Beltran, but the Yanks would like to give up Soriano, who's eligible for arbitration, which would expand his salary out beyond what KC would like to pay. No deal there.

Shefield is a perfect fit

1. Fills a huge need in RF

2. Adds another thumper who hits for power and average

3. Adds a high OBP Guy...don't be fooled by the power numbers, Shef had more walks than K's in 03

GJH

I think George has watched too many of those old Maddux and Glavine commercials about chicks digging the long ball.

The Yanks title drought is a result of them getting away from small ball. The Yanks need to worry about pitching.

Interesting to see the Sox takinng on all this additional payroll. SO much for complaining that the Yanks are the big spenders out there. Sox can spend with the best of them.

I know they are still below the Yanks $$$, but when all shakes out, I wonder how the salary $$$ will compare to 2003.

Actually, I wonder what spin BlowSox would put on this!

I think I read somewhere the Sox are putting all their eggs into the 2004 basket and that the payroll could go beyond 120 million the tax threshold..

After 2004, they will most likely divest themselves of alot of big salaries, *cough* Pedro *cough* and most likely Nomar.

Originally posted by PFSIKH@Dec 1 2003, 02:15 PM
    I think I read somewhere the Sox are putting all their eggs into the 2004 basket and that the payroll could go beyond 120 million the tax threshold..

After 2004, they will most likely divest themselves of alot of big salaries, *cough* Pedro *cough* and most likely Nomar.
    ESPN.com had a similar article, somewhere (I'm not too good at finding the web addresses for specific artcles and stuff). I agree with you on the Pedro issue, but Nomar only goes if they find a slugging replacement. His bat for a SS is a tough item to replace. And remember, whomever is at 2B, may not be the hitter that Walker was.